• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Why You Shouldn’t Slam Weights In The Gym

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Why You Shouldn’t Slam Weights In The Gym

Throwing down weights is often seen as motivating and necessary for intense lifting… but Ric Drasin argues the opposite.

It’s pretty popular to see big time bodybuilders slamming down and throwing weights after an intense exercise or workout. It’s sort of a motto that says – “I just pushed myself beyond the limit and this rage inside of me can’t be held back even after I’m done lifting.” For motivational videos and hardcore gyms – this can be seen as a positive. It’s part of bodybuilding culture. But Ric Drasin doesn’t agree. He thinks it is unnecessary. That it’s a cry for attention. And he might not be wrong.

The best example he points to is Gold’s Gym – The Mecca of bodybuilding. At Gold’s you were thrown out of the gym if you threw down weight. And this is the place where Arnold Schwarzenegger and many other greats trained every day. Ultimately, this is all down to personal opinion – but watch Ric Drasin’s latest video and hear him out. Maybe he’ll change your mind.

https://youtu.be/plNLqE5QMLA

It's kinda odd to hear an old school guy shame weight dropping. To a certain extent I agree with Ric. But there certain exercises, if you're going heavy that can't be helped. Heavy deadlifts is one example. What pisses me off about deadlifts, is when the fucktard throws the bar down in anger on the last rep

I Didn't Choose the Swolle Life, The Swolle Life Chose Me

slamming weights is for attention, period. lmao you’re just not that strong if you cant set them down reasonably.

funny story.... I was training at LA fitness, the average gym goer trains here and so does everyone else in this particular area...There’s this guy in his cut up shirt, weight belt, training shoes, gym bag off to the side, chalk everywhere, even on the floor several feet away from him, anyway this guy is slamming each dead lift rep and grunting was if he is lifting a car of a dying woman, being a real nuisance, especially for this style of gym. Well, unbeknownst to him, way over in the basketball courts there was a PT class going on, and yep he was disturbing them. So... the trainer comes out walks across the gym and patently waits behind the “strongman” after he slams his weight down with one final grunt. the trainer, who btw, is wearing slip on loafer style shoes, kaki pants and a button down shirt...all since and neatly tucked in. he says something to strongman and mid sentence he bends over the barbell and lifts it up into a nice clean rep, holds, never loses eye contact and sets it back down gently and quietly, the entire gym must have been watching because we all bust out laughing our asses off... strongman packed his shit and left after that... his trail of chalk in his wake and he had to clear his 365lbs of the bar... prolly one of the best shames he has ever gotten in the gym, I still chuckle a little when thinking about this... good times, lol

I only drop four exercises

DB presses for chest
Rack pulls
Sldl
Bent over Bb rows

The last three are dropped when I feel my lower back start to give.

The DB press is because I ain't putting them on my knees and standing up. They fall to the floor as I sit up and lower them.

I only drop four exercises

DB presses for chest
Rack pulls
Sldl
Bent over Bb rows

The last three are dropped when I feel my lower back start to give.

The DB press is because I ain't putting them on my knees and standing up. They fall to the floor as I sit up and lower them.

Same!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I can hear you over my headphones, you are a fag. And you look stupid throwing weights. I’ll look for your next circuit and clog the area just to piss you off.
Well said and sadly I see tools throwing down weights just to look good.

It's kinda odd to hear an old school guy shame weight dropping. To a certain extent I agree with Ric. But there certain exercises, if you're going heavy that can't be helped. Heavy deadlifts is one example. What pisses me off about deadlifts, is when the fucktard throws the bar down in anger on the last rep

I Didn't Choose the Swolle Life, The Swolle Life Chose Me

Even after maxing out I still set the bar down, I’m pretty sure there was a video posted on asf a while back where a guy threw the bar down after a deadlift and it caught his knee and snapped his leg in half but you could tell he purposely tried to throw it down

IML Gear Cream!
Dropping weights is a sign of weakness both mental and physical. Throwing weights is a sign of assholeisim.

Only really drop weights on heavy DB movements where it could hurt my shoulder trying to lower that much weight and heavy dead lifts. Either way I'm not throwing them. If the DBs are less than 100# each and you're dropping them, you're an asshole in my book.

Man I hate this. there is an old guy in my gym that just slams weight no matter what he is doing. He does it on the front end of a set too... the dude only does machines and right before he starts a set he will do a quarter, rep let it fall back down (slam) then do his super fast paced jerky set and on the last rep he will basically just let it go(slam). It’s freaking obnoxious.

I just stare at him... clearly that’s what he want people looking at him.

I train at home.If I tear it up I have to fix it myself so I never slam weights down unless I accidently drop it.

There is a difference between guys like that that are kinda clueless sometimes they dont even realize what they are doing and i would approach someone like that and politely point it out and sometimes they doing it because they think its "cool." Then there are the seasoned guys that should know better and deserve a five pounder up along the side...

Man I hate this. there is an old guy in my gym that just slams weight no matter what he is doing. He does it on the front end of a set too... the dude only does machines and right before he starts a set he will do a quarter, rep let it fall back down (slam) then do his super fast paced jerky set and on the last rep he will basically just let it go(slam). It’s freaking obnoxious.

I just stare at him... clearly that’s what he want people looking at him.

Only really drop weights on heavy DB movements where it could hurt my shoulder trying to lower that much weight and heavy dead lifts. Either way I'm not throwing them. If the DBs are less than 100# each and you're dropping them, you're an asshole in my book.

This nailed it.

Back