• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Best sources of carbs pre & post workout while dieting down?

Magglio24!

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
My goal is to cut weight and show lean muscle. Am I better off adding a half cup of plain oats, brown/white rice, broccoli or something else within an hour of every pre & post workout protein source? What carbs are going to be best generally to help me with energy, support recovery, build/maintain lean muscle mass etc. I’ve used almost everything ie quinoa, beans, etc and I’m not sure I can tell that much of a difference in how I look or feel. Thanks.

Pre workout I used to take Karbolic it’s just what it sounds like a pre workout carb drink and I honestly liked it a lot. I used to like drinking carbs before a workout rather than eating a small meal to prevent feeling bloated. Now I eat a full meal 45min before I workout lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For last three weeks I have been eating a combination of about 50% whole eggs & 50% egg whites - about 12 per day.
7 liters a day of water
2 12 ounce cups of black coffee
Plain oatmeal packet in AM
2 Plain chicken breasts mid morning & lunch
1 T-bone, ribeye or porterhouse for dinner
1 evening post workout low-carb low-calorie protein shake
I currently weigh 200 pounds and I’m down 5.5 pounds in 3 weeks on this diet
I wanna keep getting lean and drop down to 180 pounds... should I keep going with very low carbs or add in some rice with every protein? Thanks!

Adding alittle carbs pre workout I’m sure wouldn’t kill you. I know guys that will eat an ice cube and gain 5lbs lol bad genetics! I’m a skinny guy from the start so all my meals have just under 2 cups of a carb and 8-10ounces of protein.
But honestly if your losing the weight and in a healthy way which it seems you are slow and steady progress is better than none bro. Keep doing what your doing till you hit a road block!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oats, sweet potato, cream of rice, white or Jasmine rice, bagels, white potato, the list goes on forever.

The type isn't radically important. If they're faster digesting carbs pre workout, some added fats like nut butter and avocado help slow digestion.

Post workout the faster the better.

No carb source is superior. It's gonna depend on how well /quickly you digest them.

Oats, sweet potato, cream of rice, white or Jasmine rice, bagels, white potato, the list goes on forever.

The type isn't radically important. If they're faster digesting carbs pre workout, some added fats like nut butter and avocado help slow digestion.

Post workout the faster the better.

No carb source is superior. It's gonna depend on how well /quickly you digest them.
This, with an emphasis on the digestion part. Choose carb sources that you digest well without shitting it all right back out

It just sucks how I’m getting older & have to be in ketosis - no carbs at all for 3 weeks to lose 6 lbs. I would love to add 1/2 cup rice to every meal & still eventually get shredded. Been doing treadmill work 4-5 days a week for 30 minutes. Don’t get old lol!

I will add some rice to all my meals starting with heavy weight training days (about twice a week) for pre & post workout. I’ll start there for a month or so....& keep an eye on my weight & energy levels.

It just sucks how I’m getting older & have to be in ketosis - no carbs at all for 3 weeks to lose 6 lbs. I would love to add 1/2 cup rice to every meal & still eventually get shredded. Been doing treadmill work 4-5 days a week for 30 minutes. Don’t get old lol!
How many grams of protein are you taking in in comparison to bodyweight? It might be worth swapping some protein for carbs. I've found too much protein makes me hold fat moreso than less protein and more carbs

IML Gear Cream!
You will not be in ketosis if you start adding carbs. Based on your diet post, anything more than your pays and you will most likely be out of ketosis.

Are you tracking macros? Overall calories? Your initial post sounded like you wanted info on carb loading pre/post workout. But this post sounds like you're concerned with fat loss and having to be in ketosis to lose. Keto is just another tool in the bag, nobody has to be in ketosis to lose. They just have to be dedicated and diligent in tracking macros and/or calories in/out to see how to modify diet moving forward. What works for you might not work for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back