• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

GABA quadruples release of growth hormone after training

Vision

Team supervisor P.S.L.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
This is why I use gaba before bed,, the stuff is amazing!

61mxxNxmLDL._SY355_.jpg

GABA quadruples release of growth hormone after training
(Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008 Jan; 40 (1): 104-10.)

[h=1]Growth hormone isoform responses to GABA ingestion at rest and after exercise.[/h]Powers ME1, Yarrow JF, McCoy SC, Borst SE.
[h=3]Author information[/h]1Division of Athletic Training, Shenendoah University, Winchester, VA 22601, USA. mpowers@su.edu

[h=3]Abstract[/h]Oral administration of the amino acid/inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) reportedly elevates resting serum growth hormone (GH) concentrations.
[h=4]PURPOSE:[/h]To test the hypothesis that GABA ingestion stimulates immunoreactive GH (irGH) and immunofunctional GH (ifGH) release at rest and that GABA augments the resistance exercise-induced irGH/ifGH responses.
[h=4]METHODS:[/h]Eleven resistance-trained men (18-30 yr) participated in this randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study. During each experimental bout, participants ingested either 3 g of GABA or sucrose placebo (P), followed either by resting or resistance exercise sessions. Fasting venous blood samples were acquired immediately before and at 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, and 90 min after GABA or P ingestion and were assayed for irGH and ifGH.
[h=4]RESULTS:[/h]At rest, GABA ingestion elevated both irGH and ifGH compared with placebo. Specifically, peak concentrations of both hormones were elevated by about 400%, and the area under the curve (AUC) was elevated by about 375% (P < 0.05). Resistance exercise (EX-P) elevated time-point (15-60 min) irGH and ifGH concentrations compared with rest (P < 0.05). The combination of GABA and resistance exercise (EX-GABA) also elevated the peak, AUC, and the 15- to 60-min time-point irGH and ifGH responses compared with resting conditions (P < 0.05). Additionally, 200% greater irGH (P < 0.01) and 175% greater ifGH (P < 0.05) concentrations were observed in the EX-GABA than in the EX-P condition, 30 min after ingestion. GABA ingestion did not alter the irGH to ifGH ratio, and, under all conditions, ifGH represented approximately 50% of irGH.
[h=4]CONCLUSIONS:[/h]Our data indicate that ingested GABA elevates resting and postexercise irGH and ifGH concentrations. The extent to which irGH/ifGH secretion contributes to skeletal muscle hypertrophy is unknown, although augmenting the postexercise irGH/ifGH response may improve resistance training-induced muscular adaptations.

Strength athletes who take 3 grams of the GABA supplement [structural formula below] thereby quadruple their release of growth hormone during and after training. Sports scientists at Shenendoah University discovered this through a test on 11 men of 23 years on average, who were already training with weights before the test started.

GABA - in full: gamma-aminobutyric acid - is a neurotransmitter that you mainly find in the brain. The body makes the connection from glutamate. GABA plays a role in relaxation. Sedatives and sleeping agents such as benzodiazepines and barbiturates work via the same receptor as GABA. GABA is on the market as a supplement, but you have to take quite a lot of GABA to notice it. The brain has difficulty absorbing GABA from the blood.

GABA stimulates the release of growth hormone by the brain. Strength training does that too. The researchers wondered what would happen if you did both. Will the release of growth hormone increase even more?

The researchers got their test subjects to train the main muscle groups in their body with chest-press, lat-pulldown, flies, seated-row, shoulder-press, biceps-curl, triceps-extension, leg-press, leg-curl, leg- extension and the calf raise. The subjects trained with 70 percent of the weight with which they could just make 1 rep, did 1 set of each exercise and rested for 1 minute between sets. The training lasted fifteen minutes.

On one occasion the subjects took 4 caps of GABA-750 [with 750 mg GABA in each cap] just before they started training, the other time caps without active substance. The researchers repeated the procedure while the subjects were resting. Even if the men do not train, the GABA supplement increased their GH level.

gabaghtr.gif

The figure above relates to immunoreactive GH. That is the fraction of the growth hormone that is biologically active.

The researchers monitored the blood of the test subjects for an hour and a half. Below you can see how many active GH the test subjects created during that period in total.

gabaghtr2.gif

GABA increases the total amount of growth hormone that the subjects created during their training by 480 percent. The researchers do not know whether strength athletes will lose fat or build up more muscle tissue faster in the longer term.

Last edited:
I’ve been using GABA and 5 htp for a couple of years, they work amazing together. The 5 HTP helps release serotonin which creates the bodies natural melatonin, it’s a great sleep cocktail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just went through my first bottle of GABA at 200mg before bed. Makes me feel really odd when it kicks in. At first I thought I was having BP issues but I really believe it was the GABA. I do sleep really well on it though.

I’ve been using GABA and 5 htp for a couple of years, they work amazing together. The 5 HTP helps release serotonin which creates the bodies natural melatonin, it’s a great sleep cocktail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you nailed it... all these chems our body already has and it balances them right out, you feel GREAT!!

What dosages do you guys take?

What dosages do you guys take?

it varies...If I’m tired I only take 750mg GABA and 100mg 5HTP. If not, I double the GABA, keeping HTP the same lights out and zzzz. Also worth mentioning, If I wake up through the night, and feel wide awake, I take another 750mgs GABA and that does the trick.

Something else worth mentioning, I wake up at 5am everyday and this never leaves me hungover or drowsy, it’s very easy to rise and shine so to speak

Last edited:
What about gabapentin? I have probably 500 or more 300mg pills

Interesting, I’m glad you mentioned that about not feeling sleep hungover because I wake up at 5 everyday too, and that’s why o can’t take any type of sleep aids. I take magnesium at night which kind of helps me sleep but I will have to look into GABA.... especially if it increasing GH release lol
it varies...If I’m tired I only take 100mg GABA and 100mg 5HTP. If not, I double the GABA, keeping HTP the same lights out and zzzz. Also worth mentioning, If I wake up through the night, and feel wide awake, I take another 100mgs GABA and that does the trick.

Something else worth mentioning, I wake up at 5am everyday and this never leaves me hungover or drowsy, it’s very easy to rise and shine so to speak

IML Gear Cream!

Not remotely the same sir.

Gabapentin is an anti-seizure drug whereas GABA is a naturally occuring Neurotransmitter that relaxes the CNS.

Not remotely the same sir.

Gabapentin is an anti-seizure drug whereas GABA is a naturally occuring Neurotransmitter that relaxes the CNS.

Both work on the GABA system though right? And I remember GABA doesnt cross the blood brain barrier. Gabapentin is used off label for a variety of reasons.

I've had issues sleeping for 10+ years of my life. I take ambien but my tolerance has gotten too high.

I just ordered some GABA and 5-HTP. Thank you so much folks.

I've had issues sleeping for 10+ years of my life. I take ambien but my tolerance has gotten too high.

I also have a severe chronic sleep disorder. I have took Ambien for years.. they don't work anymore, I use low to moderate dose (prescription anxiety medication) I use that only to stop the wheels in my head from turning,but I will use the other supplementation with Gaba and melatonin combined and at times with the 5-HTP, let me tell you right now that combination of Gaba, melatonin and 5-HTP is completely underestimated.. in fact that combination is highly suggested when HGH as well.. that's why once in awhile I will go on a small duration of also 2ius of HGH with that cocktail.
You're going to like this, and it gives you a break from the ambiens.. also look into red vein kratom, that is a mother, that stuff is like someone giving you a hug and tucking you in bed and kissing you on the forehead.. the sleep is insane!

- - - Updated - - -

By the way keep people updated on how you make out man.. just reply back to this topic..

I also have a severe chronic sleep disorder. I have took Ambien for years.. they don't work anymore, I use low to moderate dose (prescription anxiety medication) I use that only to stop the wheels in my head from turning,but I will use the other supplementation with Gaba and melatonin combined and at times with the 5-HTP, let me tell you right now that combination of Gaba, melatonin and 5-HTP is completely underestimated.. in fact that combination is highly suggested when HGH as well.. that's why once in awhile I will go on a small duration of also 2ius of HGH with that cocktail.
You're going to like this, and it gives you a break from the ambiens.. also look into red vein kratom, that is a mother, that stuff is like someone giving you a hug and tucking you in bed and kissing you on the forehead.. the sleep is insane!

- - - Updated - - -

By the way keep people updated on how you make out man.. just reply back to this topic..

Sounds awesome man thanks!
Yea I actually have 2 lbs of red and white vein kratom, but I just couldn't zero in on a dose that didn't make me nauseous.

alprazolam is ok for clearing my head, but it makes me drowsy the next day.

Not the most healthy way to go about things, but I kind of wish I could just by the ambien powder and increase my dose as needed. I know that is not a good road to go down.

Anyway, I look forward to trying this combo!

Sounds awesome man thanks!
Yea I actually have 2 lbs of red and white vein kratom, but I just couldn't zero in on a dose that didn't make me nauseous.

alprazolam is ok for clearing my head, but it makes me drowsy the next day.

Not the most healthy way to go about things, but I kind of wish I could just by the ambien powder and increase my dose as needed. I know that is not a good road to go down.

Anyway, I look forward to trying this combo!
Yeah, Im not thrilled about the "script" meds for sleep, but I only use them for sleep, and never at any other time... They actually don't hit me hard, they just "clear" my thoughts, and man does it slow the racing thoughts..
Far as the red, 4g is a nice spot and you can mix it with chamomile tea and honey..
Im hoping to ditch these meds in the next few months..

it varies...If I’m tired I only take 100mg GABA and 100mg 5HTP. If not, I double the GABA, keeping HTP the same lights out and zzzz. Also worth mentioning, If I wake up through the night, and feel wide awake, I take another 100mgs GABA and that does the trick.

Now that's something like No-Doz but without the grogginess in the morning. Most times I sleep well but there's times I need something to shut my brain down so that I could sleep. Could try this cocktail.

Stay away from gabapentin unless you absolutely need it and the benefit outweighs the risks. Read the list of side effects. It's a long list and very likely to occur. I'm almost positive that coming off of gabapentin is what messed with the respiratory center in my brain and caused my central sleep apnea problems. I may also have a sudden cardiovascular issue that developed at exactly the same time suddenly 4 days after stopping. I also have had recurring derealization issues that started the day after I stopped dosing that have gotten somewhat better but are still persisting after 6 weeks.

That's real life experience. Gabapentin is a serious drug with very real and dangerous physiological and psychological side effects. That shit may have fucked me up permanently

Stay away from gabapentin unless you absolutely need it and the benefit outweighs the risks. Read the list of side effects. It's a long list and very likely to occur. I'm almost positive that coming off of gabapentin is what messed with the respiratory center in my brain and caused my central sleep apnea problems. I may also have a sudden cardiovascular issue that developed at exactly the same time suddenly 4 days after stopping. I also have had recurring derealization issues that started the day after I stopped dosing that have gotten somewhat better but are still persisting after 6 weeks.

That's real life experience. Gabapentin is a serious drug with very real and dangerous physiological and psychological side effects. That shit may have fucked me up permanently

Gabapentin is absolutely garbage and they over prescribed it for many different things and they over abused its off-label properties..
They had me on 1300'ish around that number. On a cocktail of other medication for depression. It was ridiculous for their reasoning. It was supposed to stop the impulses with my thought process. That stop bang me up a little bit and when I came off I felt like I was having microseizures.. I absolutely did not need that stuff and in fact my case was pretty mild it was just seasonal depression, something I'm diagnosed with and I deal with I build a bridge and get over it.. when I got educated on what the stuff was that doctor never seen me again. Under no circumstance that I fit any criteria that the drug was beneficial to me.. some doctors are absolute scumbags.

Last edited:

The VA hands that out like they do trazodone. For pretty much everything from anxiety depression sleep problems mood stabilizer alternative.

Get Shredded!
The VA hands that out like they do trazodone. For pretty much everything from anxiety depression sleep problems mood stabilizer alternative.

That is absolutely awful man.. that's what a lot of these doctors do.. it's awful stuff..

Yup. That's where I got it from. It's gnarly, nasty shit man. I was taking it for unbearable sciatic pain from hurting my back so I could sleep. Stuff messed me up. I don't like trazodone either. I got that derealization from it while I'm on it. Weird to feel like reality is shipping away from you. Not something I like

Yup. That's where I got it from. It's gnarly, nasty shit man. I was taking it for unbearable sciatic pain from hurting my back so I could sleep. Stuff messed me up. I don't like trazodone either. I got that derealization from it while I'm on it. Weird to feel like reality is shipping away from you. Not something I like

Many moons ago I was on Seroquel and trazodone at the same time.
A lot of these medications are needed for the right situations but at the same time they're over-prescribed.

It really takes me a lot when I ultimately make the decision to go on any type of medication for a particular treatment or instance, because large pharma likes to push these things down our throats.. but at the same time some people do need these medications with mental struggles..
Knowing the difference, and having the ability to decipher what is pill pushing compared to legitimate treatment is pivotal. here fill out this questionnaire and tell us how you feel!!!! Those days are done for me I don't play them games. The majority of us here are many steps ahead of the game because we are consciously aware of what's going on and we do our research.. unfortunately for those that are ignorant and unbeknownst to them they get taken advantage of..

Many moons ago I was on Seroquel and trazodone at the same time.
A lot of these medications are needed for the right situations but at the same time they're over-prescribed.

It really takes me a lot when I ultimately make the decision to go on any type of medication for a particular treatment or instance, because large pharma likes to push these things down our throats.. but at the same time some people do need these medications with mental struggles..
Knowing the difference, and having the ability to decipher what is pill pushing compared to legitimate treatment is pivotal. here fill out this questionnaire and tell us how you feel!!!! Those days are done for me I don't play them games. The majority of us here are many steps ahead of the game because we are consciously aware of what's going on and we do our research.. unfortunately for those that are ignorant and unbeknownst to them they get taken advantage of..
Absolutely. I'm very reluctant to take a doctor's word for anything these days without a thorough review of the diagnosis or medication myself. Especially medications. Big pharma pushes their crap while bribing doctors to avoid legitimate remedies in favor of their medications to treat symptoms. The CKD thing is a perfect example. Big pharma got pyridoxamine, a natural form of B6, labeled as a drug so you can't get it as a supplement. It prevents the formation of AGEs, a huge factor in kidney disease. Now it's only labeled use is for "diabetic nephrosis" and anyone with regular CKD can't get it. Just like CKD can't be treated, when in fact it can with herbal supplements. No money in that though!

But I agree, these medications are necessary. Just way over prescribed. There's always a risk vs benefit analysis that needs to be done that seems to be a forgotten part of medical practice...

Gabapentin is absolutely garbage and they over prescribed it for many different things and they over abused its off-label properties..
They had me on 1300'ish around that number. On a cocktail of other medication for depression. It was ridiculous for their reasoning. It was supposed to stop the impulses with my thought process. That stop bang me up a little bit and when I came off I felt like I was having microseizures.. I absolutely did not need that stuff and in fact my case was pretty mild it was just seasonal depression, something I'm diagnosed with and I deal with I build a bridge and get over it.. when I got educated on what the stuff was that doctor never seen me again. Under no circumstance that I fit any criteria that the drug was beneficial to me.. some doctors are absolute scumbags.
Yes I had that stuff too after a severe head injury due to a bad fall that triggered the return of bouts of depression. Had a bad time with that as it turned me into a zombie. Fuck that and wouldn't want anyone touching that without a thorough exam to determine suitability.

Took me some years to get back to a sane stable state and even to return to the gym after that accident.

Last edited:
The natural remedies DO work much of the time and not these Big Pharma pushed garbage that turns out to be dangerous.

Yes I had that stuff too after a severe head injury due to a bad fall that triggered the return of bouts of depression. Had a bad time with that as it turned me into a zombie. Fuck that and wouldn't want anyone touching that without a thorough exam to determine suitability.

Took me some years to get back to a sane stable state and even to return to the gym after that accident.

Good golly man I had no idea you went through that.. I'm sorry to hear about that brother.
Natural remedies, holistic treatments and Asian medicine took me a long time to even consider because the reality is it's been shrouded and there was a blanket over my eyes that was created by propaganda and I was the exact type of person that the government has been trying to create..
As I got older and out of desperate measures I have resorted to natural remedies but not so because these old ways of treatment we're now becoming the new trend but rather because of desperation.. I've honestly had more success with using natural remedies and medications that are inexpensive and can be purchased worldwide effortlessly.. all the medications that the government restrict really have never worked miracles on me other than accutane...
And like chicken said they start regulating everything and anything that they can get their hands on to make a profit. When garlic was mentioning about the regulation of that one specific treatment that totally blew my mind and I was unaware of that..
That shows exactly how the criminal empire operates .

Thank you!! Will order right now some. When do you take dosages? Before sleep? Would it make you lethargic if you take before training?

And if it increase you HGH to 480%..how much that would be for a healthy 25yr male? Like how much IU(i know we all diff but guess)

And if I take bigger dosage does it mean ig gonna increase HGH even more? Or ? Thanks!!

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Thank you!! Will order right now some. When do you take dosages? Before sleep? Would it make you lethargic if you take before training?

And if it increase you HGH to 480%..how much that would be for a healthy 25yr male? Like how much IU(i know we all diff but guess)

And if I take bigger dosage does it mean ig gonna increase HGH even more? Or ? Thanks!!

I honestly don't think it will increase your HGH that much however it will increase it to where your next bleed will be even greater.. the best time to take it is before sleep.. that's what it has it's next interaction with your next pulse . It's hard to gauge and tell when people are going to have a pulse but it's almost guaranteed it will happen when you're sleeping that's why it's recommended to take before sleeping also because of its resting and relaxing properties. 750 is a pretty good amount and you can take it two hours before you go to sleep. You may notice that you get a little bit flush like you took niacin, I would suggest taking it with melatonin.. although I think melatonin is worthless by itself but it has great property when used in conjunction with Gaba.. you can take it during the daytime and like I said above prior it will not knock you out but you will feel relaxed. You won't be nodding out but you're just feel at a calm State and a sense of well-being..

I honestly don't think it will increase your HGH that much however it will increase it to where your next bleed will be even greater.. the best time to take it is before sleep.. that's what it has it's next interaction with your next pulse . It's hard to gauge and tell when people are going to have a pulse but it's almost guaranteed it will happen when you're sleeping that's why it's recommended to take before sleeping also because of its resting and relaxing properties. 750 is a pretty good amount and you can take it two hours before you go to sleep. You may notice that you get a little bit flush like you took niacin, I would suggest taking it with melatonin.. although I think melatonin is worthless by itself but it has great property when used in conjunction with Gaba.. you can take it during the daytime and like I said above prior it will not knock you out but you will feel relaxed. You won't be nodding out but you're just feel at a calm State and a sense of well-being..
Thanks for good explanation pumpkin.. will be using that on cycle before bed together with mk677,hexarelin and modgrf.... Could be good mix ha?

I think I ak starting cycle monday

Back