EuroPharmacies Ambassador
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,433 Posts
    Rep Points

GABA quadruples release of growth hormone after training

This is why I use gaba before bed,, the stuff is amazing!

GABA quadruples release of growth hormone after training
    (Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008 Jan; 40 (1): 104-10.)

Growth hormone isoform responses to GABA ingestion at rest and after exercise.

Powers ME1, Yarrow JF, McCoy SC, Borst SE.
    Author information

1Division of Athletic Training, Shenendoah University, Winchester, VA 22601, USA. mpowers@su.edu

Abstract

Oral administration of the amino acid/inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) reportedly elevates resting serum growth hormone (GH) concentrations.
    PURPOSE:

To test the hypothesis that GABA ingestion stimulates immunoreactive GH (irGH) and immunofunctional GH (ifGH) release at rest and that GABA augments the resistance exercise-induced irGH/ifGH responses.
    METHODS:

Eleven resistance-trained men (18-30 yr) participated in this randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study. During each experimental bout, participants ingested either 3 g of GABA or sucrose placebo (P), followed either by resting or resistance exercise sessions. Fasting venous blood samples were acquired immediately before and at 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, and 90 min after GABA or P ingestion and were assayed for irGH and ifGH.
    RESULTS:

At rest, GABA ingestion elevated both irGH and ifGH compared with placebo. Specifically, peak concentrations of both hormones were elevated by about 400%, and the area under the curve (AUC) was elevated by about 375% (P < 0.05). Resistance exercise (EX-P) elevated time-point (15-60 min) irGH and ifGH concentrations compared with rest (P < 0.05). The combination of GABA and resistance exercise (EX-GABA) also elevated the peak, AUC, and the 15- to 60-min time-point irGH and ifGH responses compared with resting conditions (P < 0.05). Additionally, 200% greater irGH (P < 0.01) and 175% greater ifGH (P < 0.05) concentrations were observed in the EX-GABA than in the EX-P condition, 30 min after ingestion. GABA ingestion did not alter the irGH to ifGH ratio, and, under all conditions, ifGH represented approximately 50% of irGH.
    CONCLUSIONS:

Our data indicate that ingested GABA elevates resting and postexercise irGH and ifGH concentrations. The extent to which irGH/ifGH secretion contributes to skeletal muscle hypertrophy is unknown, although augmenting the postexercise irGH/ifGH response may improve resistance training-induced muscular adaptations.

Strength athletes who take 3 grams of the GABA supplement [structural formula below] thereby quadruple their release of growth hormone during and after training. Sports scientists at Shenendoah University discovered this through a test on 11 men of 23 years on average, who were already training with weights before the test started.

GABA - in full: gamma-aminobutyric acid - is a neurotransmitter that you mainly find in the brain. The body makes the connection from glutamate. GABA plays a role in relaxation. Sedatives and sleeping agents such as benzodiazepines and barbiturates work via the same receptor as GABA. GABA is on the market as a supplement, but you have to take quite a lot of GABA to notice it. The brain has difficulty absorbing GABA from the blood.

GABA stimulates the release of growth hormone by the brain. Strength training does that too. The researchers wondered what would happen if you did both. Will the release of growth hormone increase even more?

The researchers got their test subjects to train the main muscle groups in their body with chest-press, lat-pulldown, flies, seated-row, shoulder-press, biceps-curl, triceps-extension, leg-press, leg-curl, leg- extension and the calf raise. The subjects trained with 70 percent of the weight with which they could just make 1 rep, did 1 set of each exercise and rested for 1 minute between sets. The training lasted fifteen minutes.

On one occasion the subjects took 4 caps of GABA-750 [with 750 mg GABA in each cap] just before they started training, the other time caps without active substance. The researchers repeated the procedure while the subjects were resting. Even if the men do not train, the GABA supplement increased their GH level.

The figure above relates to immunoreactive GH. That is the fraction of the growth hormone that is biologically active.

The researchers monitored the blood of the test subjects for an hour and a half. Below you can see how many active GH the test subjects created during that period in total.

GABA increases the total amount of growth hormone that the subjects created during their training by 480 percent. The researchers do not know whether strength athletes will lose fat or build up more muscle tissue faster in the longer term.

Last edited by Vision; 10-16-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Rep Points

How much do you use?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Rep Points

Gaba and ZMA= GREAT SLEEP

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

NO LIMITS.
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,312 Posts
    Rep Points

Iíve been using GABA and 5 htp for a couple of years, they work amazing together. The 5 HTP helps release serotonin which creates the bodies natural melatonin, itís a great sleep cocktail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Rep Points

Just went through my first bottle of GABA at 200mg before bed. Makes me feel really odd when it kicks in. At first I thought I was having BP issues but I really believe it was the GABA. I do sleep really well on it though.

SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,433 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by HFO3 View Post
    Iíve been using GABA and 5 htp for a couple of years, they work amazing together. The 5 HTP helps release serotonin which creates the bodies natural melatonin, itís a great sleep cocktail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    you nailed it... all these chems our body already has and it balances them right out, you feel GREAT!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Rep Points

What dosages do you guys take?

NO LIMITS.
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,312 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Swolewelder View Post
    What dosages do you guys take?

it varies...If Iím tired I only take 750mg GABA and 100mg 5HTP. If not, I double the GABA, keeping HTP the same lights out and zzzz. Also worth mentioning, If I wake up through the night, and feel wide awake, I take another 750mgs GABA and that does the trick.

Something else worth mentioning, I wake up at 5am everyday and this never leaves me hungover or drowsy, itís very easy to rise and shine so to speak
    Last edited by HFO3; 10-28-2019 at 04:05 AM. Reason: gaba is 750mg per cap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Rep Points

What about gabapentin? I have probably 500 or more 300mg pills

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Rep Points

Interesting, Iím glad you mentioned that about not feeling sleep hungover because I wake up at 5 everyday too, and thatís why o canít take any type of sleep aids. I take magnesium at night which kind of helps me sleep but I will have to look into GABA.... especially if it increasing GH release lol
    Quote Originally Posted by HFO3 View Post
    it varies...If Iím tired I only take 100mg GABA and 100mg 5HTP. If not, I double the GABA, keeping HTP the same lights out and zzzz. Also worth mentioning, If I wake up through the night, and feel wide awake, I take another 100mgs GABA and that does the trick.

Something else worth mentioning, I wake up at 5am everyday and this never leaves me hungover or drowsy, itís very easy to rise and shine so to speak

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    509 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by craigmac View Post
    What about gabapentin? I have probably 500 or more 300mg pills
    Not remotely the same sir.

Gabapentin is an anti-seizure drug whereas GABA is a naturally occuring Neurotransmitter that relaxes the CNS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by WesleyInman View Post
    Not remotely the same sir.

Gabapentin is an anti-seizure drug whereas GABA is a naturally occuring Neurotransmitter that relaxes the CNS.
    Both work on the GABA system though right? And I remember GABA doesnt cross the blood brain barrier. Gabapentin is used off label for a variety of reasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Rep Points

I've had issues sleeping for 10+ years of my life. I take ambien but my tolerance has gotten too high.

I just ordered some GABA and 5-HTP. Thank you so much folks.

SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,433 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Daark View Post
    I've had issues sleeping for 10+ years of my life. I take ambien but my tolerance has gotten too high.

I also have a severe chronic sleep disorder. I have took Ambien for years.. they don't work anymore, I use low to moderate dose (prescription anxiety medication) I use that only to stop the wheels in my head from turning,but I will use the other supplementation with Gaba and melatonin combined and at times with the 5-HTP, let me tell you right now that combination of Gaba, melatonin and 5-HTP is completely underestimated.. in fact that combination is highly suggested when HGH as well.. that's why once in awhile I will go on a small duration of also 2ius of HGH with that cocktail.
    You're going to like this, and it gives you a break from the ambiens.. also look into red vein kratom, that is a mother, that stuff is like someone giving you a hug and tucking you in bed and kissing you on the forehead.. the sleep is insane!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daark View Post

By the way keep people updated on how you make out man.. just reply back to this topic..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Vision View Post
    I also have a severe chronic sleep disorder. I have took Ambien for years.. they don't work anymore, I use low to moderate dose (prescription anxiety medication) I use that only to stop the wheels in my head from turning,but I will use the other supplementation with Gaba and melatonin combined and at times with the 5-HTP, let me tell you right now that combination of Gaba, melatonin and 5-HTP is completely underestimated.. in fact that combination is highly suggested when HGH as well.. that's why once in awhile I will go on a small duration of also 2ius of HGH with that cocktail.
    You're going to like this, and it gives you a break from the ambiens.. also look into red vein kratom, that is a mother, that stuff is like someone giving you a hug and tucking you in bed and kissing you on the forehead.. the sleep is insane!

- - - Updated - - -

By the way keep people updated on how you make out man.. just reply back to this topic..

Sounds awesome man thanks!
    Yea I actually have 2 lbs of red and white vein kratom, but I just couldn't zero in on a dose that didn't make me nauseous.

alprazolam is ok for clearing my head, but it makes me drowsy the next day.

Not the most healthy way to go about things, but I kind of wish I could just by the ambien powder and increase my dose as needed. I know that is not a good road to go down.

Anyway, I look forward to trying this combo!