• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Investing in Silver or Gold?

heavyiron

Community Veteran
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I used to collect coins as a kid and always had an interest in it but lately I have been reading some investment advisers recommending 5% of your portfolio being silver or gold bullion.
From what I'm reading the American Eagle coins seem to be the most trustworthy and most recognized coins.

Anyone invest in precious metals?

Thoughts on the American Eagles for investment?

One day digging at work I Found a couple nickels w the buffalo on one side and native American head on the other. Not worth much, but very cool to have.

Sent from my Z839 using Tapatalk

I’d rather put it in an IRA. If you’re maxing one out already along with 401k then it shouldn’t be a bad idea
Wife and I both max ours out yearly.

One day digging at work I Found a couple nickels w the buffalo on one side and native American head on the other. Not worth much, but very cool to have.

Sent from my Z839 using Tapatalk
I had a bunch of silver dollars lady liberty from the late 1800s that I came up on in my drug days was selling them each for couple hundred dollars to the coin shop... had a couple books with the Mercury dimes as well... and buffalo head pennies ..if you can find a 1943 penny thats not steel ...they worth some bucks...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I uswd to buy silver, gold and platinum liberty coins from 1997 to 2001. Heres the kick, gold was I believe $250 an ounce, platinum a little more, silver was maybe $10 an oz. Fast forward to 2008 when the housing market crashed gold went all the way up to $1900 I believe... Long story short I liquidated in 2012 and walked away with around $24,000 in nontaxable cash from a $5000 investment. This however was a once in a lifetime run because gold has been around $1200 give or take for a number of years. Gold and silver are a great hedge against the market because precious metals are up when the market is down and vice versa but it is really only a tool to protect your money rather than make money. It will always have undeniable value and could rise and fall but you'll never make money from it from an investment standpoint unless the market crashes again like it did. There are too many safeguards in place to prevent it from happening unless conspiracy theory, they want it to. Bottom line its good to have and hold some and very cool but dont expect a return. You can pull up the 100 year history and see the only run it made was in the late 2000s

Side note, investing in any other coins besides precious metals is a complete waste. Lost a lot of $ playing that game because the demand just isn't there with the newer younger generations unless you can really find someone who nerds out on it and wants to overpay you... Good luck its too niche an audience

IML Gear Cream!
Wouldnt hurt to be vested in things besides the American dollar in case it ever tanked.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

American Eagles are excellent . The whole idea is to buy low and sell at a " safe " higher rate.Just a few months ago gold was at say $1300 USD - and now it is at " around " $1500.Sell now and pick up $200 per oz ( approx) - but IMO is not a great time to sell. We are looking at major downslide in economy about mid 2020 and many are thinking metals will fly at that time .Housing market is already starting to tank along with many other indicators. So " yeah " -great time to get into metals IMO -I have been playing with the market for over 40 years and have done well .Whether metals-housing or whatever - is just about timing - Good Luck-OD

American Eagles are excellent . The whole idea is to buy low and sell at a " safe " higher rate.Just a few months ago gold was at say $1300 USD - and now it is at " around " $1500.Sell now and pick up $200 per oz ( approx) - but IMO is not a great time to sell. We are looking at major downslide in economy about mid 2020 and many are thinking metals will fly at that time .Housing market is already starting to tank along with many other indicators. So " yeah " -great time to get into metals IMO -I have been playing with the market for over 40 years and have done well .Whether metals-housing or whatever - is just about timing - Good Luck-OD
What are your thoughts on American Eagle Silver?
I can buy them for about $20 per ounce

I used to buy silver bars whenever they were cheap a couple ounces here and there mostly when they dropped to $12 - $14 an ounce and sit on them gotta pay attention to the prices but when I ended up selling them I think they were around $21 an ounce or something like that obvious I I found have waited for a bette reprove but needed the cash haha if you have the money and can put it aside and not need it I wound sah it’s a smart investment IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

American eagle coins are solid and sound, they are also technically money which bullion is not. Never a problem on the resale either

If you want to double your money fold it and put it in your pocket. Safest bet

I tell that to everyone I know that buys lotto tickets.

Pure gold a better bet than silver- Ive got a handful of krugerrands that have jumped in value over 200 dollars in the last few months-each worth near 1500 atm
Silver wont budge much and you likely wont make much off it it- you wont lose much either though

well today silver was worth 17.51 an ounce so no, I wouldnt buy - heres the thing- you can have a clown or an American Eagle on the coin, it doesnt fucking matter. The value is strictly in the silver- All the rest is for people to get you pay more- go to sell and you will see

Last edited:
I like land. I just buy that

leave a dollar tip and waiters loose their minds, give a stripper a dollar and she will flash her butthole
I will use this line this weekend lol

Get Shredded!
Download the app

JM Bullion

I buy bars and coins from them all the time. They even accept BTC as payment. I am a sucker for cool looking bars. There’s so many to choose from. All different precious metals. I don’t know a lot about precious coins or anything. But this site is cool if you want to buy a bunch of coins as well...

Once spacex or blue origin start mining asteroids precious metal prices will become more volatile.

I would say that is a little high right now- but I am thinking it is probably not going to get any cheaper - so ~~
The Fed is doing more cuts ( one more in Dec) - so my thoughts are that metals are going to move up big time . But- that is just my opinion .Is a great way to watch for short gains- or just hold to diversify your portfolio. Staying spread out in your portfolio is the way to go in this crazy economy today .Luck-OD

well today silver was worth 17.51 an ounce so no, I wouldnt buy - heres the thing- you can have a clown or an American Eagle on the coin, it doesnt fucking matter. The value is strictly in the silver- All the rest is for people to get you pay more- go to sell and you will see
No, minted coins can have additional value over the intrinsic value of bars or rounds.

I’ve been a stacker for years, I buy on dips and just keep hoarding. Silver is my favorite, it has the most potential upswing. I look at this as protection, they have always had value and keep increasing with time.

I’ve been a stacker for years, I buy on dips and just keep hoarding. Silver is my favorite, it has the most potential upswing. I look at this as protection, they have always had value and keep increasing with time.
Do you buy from a mint or somewhere else? I'm seeing differences in price on the exact same American Eagle coin.

Do you buy from a mint or somewhere else? I'm seeing differences in price on the exact same American Eagle coin.
Is it the U.S mint that can only produce these & distribute to wholesalers?

I know nothing about the american eagle coins but with anything you would think the market is full of china counterfeits. How do the sellers guarantee authenticity?

Is it the U.S mint that can only produce these & distribute to wholesalers?

I know nothing about the american eagle coins but with anything you would think the market is full of china counterfeits. How do the sellers guarantee authenticity?

The American Silver Eagle is the official silver bullion coin of the US. The mints can provide a chain of custody and then they seal the containers with a special seal.
Getting proof that they are genuine is easy.

The American Silver Eagle is the official silver bullion coin of the US. The mints can provide a chain of custody and then they seal the containers with a special seal.

Silver and Gold Eagles also hold a much better premium . K-rands - maple leaf etc are also much the same .Nothing wrong with buying maverick bars or coins - but you will get a bit less when you sell. Also - get a receipt when you buy - in that manner when you sell you will know how much to claim on your income tax .Or - deal in cash both directions - but most dealers will not do this .-OD

Does this mean counterfeits are unlikely ?

Back