• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Who here has a fucked up hip/back?

elit3keraed

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
How do you guys deal/work around it?

Some of you may remember I was almost killed a few years back in a bad wreck. SI joint is basically toast. I spent almost 2 years unable to bench, squat or deadlift as it all caused my SI joint to slip out of place.

My squat is currently back to where it was pre accident (although going heavy ruins my leg for about 2 weeks). My bench is actually a bit stronger (I can leg drive without popping my hip out) but my deadlift still sucks due to flexibility/instability in my SI joint.

I was thinking about swapping back squats for belt squats as I can actually use more weight without any problems. Maybe deadlifting from some boxes as I dont really think I will ever compete in powerlifting.

Any recommendation on free weight movements that can be done? My gym has 1 machine. A belt squat machine. Other than that it's a powerlifting/crossfit style gym so bands, cambered bars, safety squat bars, tires, bumper plates and lots of DM/kettlebells so I am not able to just "stick to machines" like I did when I was still training out of a commercial gym.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Find another gym, that’s the best recommendation I can give. My pelvis is re-broken a third time and I refuse to have another of those brutal surgeries again unless life threatening. I precariously work legs but only with machine that box in my pelvis so it can’t slip freely on one side or the other. Like the weight sled thing. Machines for me now.
Now my reattached foot is starting to give up so now I am even more careful with legs.
If you are like me and refuse to give in to what is expected of us guys with crippling injuries, you will have to resign yourself to being smart about it. I was a 5-6 plate squatter at one time. Skipping squats and doing pussy ass leg workouts bums me out but being in a wheelchair for six months makes me not want that again. It’s a balance man.

Last edited:
How do you guys deal/work around it?

Some of you may remember I was almost killed a few years back in a bad wreck. SI joint is basically toast. I spent almost 2 years unable to bench, squat or deadlift as it all caused my SI joint to slip out of place.

My squat is currently back to where it was pre accident (although going heavy ruins my leg for about 2 weeks). My bench is actually a bit stronger (I can leg drive without popping my hip out) but my deadlift still sucks due to flexibility/instability in my SI joint.

I was thinking about swapping back squats for belt squats as I can actually use more weight without any problems. Maybe deadlifting from some boxes as I dont really think I will ever compete in powerlifting.

Any recommendation on free weight movements that can be done? My gym has 1 machine. A belt squat machine. Other than that it's a powerlifting/crossfit style gym so bands, cambered bars, safety squat bars, tires, bumper plates and lots of DM/kettlebells so I am not able to just "stick to machines" like I did when I was still training out of a commercial gym.

So first off, glad to hear you’re getting your strength back.

A belt squat machine is actually a really great way to get some quad work in without placing a ton of stress on your back. For your hip stability, I would check out the Squat University page on Instagram, that guy posts TONS of great videos explaining how to strengthen your hips, ankles, and take pressure off your back as you perfect your squat form.

For deadlifts... I have a lot of friends that suffer from back problems from various deployments and IED blasts, they just kinda switched to rack pulls or block pulls as you stated. Have you ever heard of a Glute/Ham Raise? It was made widely popular by Louie Simmons from Westside Barbell and has been used by a lot of powerlifters with back issues to strengthen the posterior chain. Hope you continue to improve my friend.

GearChurch Gang

get in with a good chiropractor.. grab yourself an inversion table and that back straightened out... i've thrown my back out so many times doing construction and lifting shit i shouldnt be lifting.. last time they had to carry me to the van and into the chiro.. got adjusted and went right back to work..lol..dont recommend doing that but take the time to strenghten it up

Find another gym, that’s the best recommendation I can give. My pelvis is re-broken a third time and I refuse to have another of those brutal surgeries again unless life threatening. I precariously work legs but only with machine that box in my pelvis so it can’t slip freely on one side or the other. Like the weight sled thing. Machines for me now.
Now my reattached foot is starting to give up so now I am even more careful with legs.
If you are like me and refuse to give in to what is expected of us guys with crippling injuries, you will have to resign yourself to being smart about it. I was a 5-6 plate squatter at one time. Skipping squats and doing pussy ass leg workouts bums me out but being in a wheelchair for six months makes me not want that again. It’s a balance man.
I would but with money being tight I can either train out of here for free (Friend is part owner and hired me as a coach) or I can train at home with bodyweight lol.

Leg pressing is an instant SI killer for me. The only machines I found that really helped me at a big gym was the hack squat, Smith machine (for Bulgarian split squats) and the leg curl variations.

get in with a good chiropractor.. grab yourself an inversion table and that back straightened out... i've thrown my back out so many times doing construction and lifting shit i shouldnt be lifting.. last time they had to carry me to the van and into the chiro.. got adjusted and went right back to work..lol..dont recommend doing that but take the time to strenghten it up
I did chiropractor for a bit to try to get my hip better but from my understanding there is so much scar tissue and the tendons/ligaments are so fucked up that it isnt a matter of adjusting and done. I do a lot of prehab/rehab work so when i DO have a problem i go get an adjustment just to get it back into place.

So first off, glad to hear you’re getting your strength back.

A belt squat machine is actually a really great way to get some quad work in without placing a ton of stress on your back. For your hip stability, I would check out the Squat University page on Instagram, that guy posts TONS of great videos explaining how to strengthen your hips, ankles, and take pressure off your back as you perfect your squat form.

For deadlifts... I have a lot of friends that suffer from back problems from various deployments and IED blasts, they just kinda switched to rack pulls or block pulls as you stated. Have you ever heard of a Glute/Ham Raise? It was made widely popular by Louie Simmons from Westside Barbell and has been used by a lot of powerlifters with back issues to strengthen the posterior chain. Hope you continue to improve my friend.

GearChurch Gang
I will actually take a look at that IG page.

I do have 2 GHR machines at my gym. They're not the "top of the line" kind but I've been doing GHRs with a band to assist since I'm not quite strong enough. Love the burn I get in my hamstrings and it's tells me immediately if my hip is whacked out (cant always tell) because it causes cramping and tightness in my left low back.

I will actually take a look at that IG page.

I do have 2 GHR machines at my gym. They're not the "top of the line" kind but I've been doing GHRs with a band to assist since I'm not quite strong enough. Love the burn I get in my hamstrings and it's tells me immediately if my hip is whacked out (cant always tell) because it causes cramping and tightness in my left low back.

The GHR is actually how Louie Simmons got back into being able to Squat/Deadlift again and got him back to competing man, and his body was totally broken. I’d say if you started doing those on a more consistent basis and focus on strengthening your core, it could work wonders for you. And yes I’d absolutely recommend checking that page out, it helped me work out a lot of kinks I was having with my hips, hip flexors, and even my psoas.

GearChurch Gang

I would but with money being tight I can either train out of here for free (Friend is part owner and hired me as a coach) or I can train at home with bodyweight lol.

Leg pressing is an instant SI killer for me. The only machines I found that really helped me at a big gym was the hack squat, Smith machine (for Bulgarian split squats) and the leg curl variations.

I was going to say, if there's a Smith I'd use it for split squats and lunges. With deficit lunges you can get a good quad or glute focused contraction with your front foot on a platform. I would be careful with the weight and going too close to failure since that seems to be where I start irritating my back and hips.

I've had to give up regular back squats at this point. I have too much of a shortened ankle flexion to break parallel and I herniated a disk again a little over 2 month ago because of it. Now I have sciatic pain every day. Seems like the only thing I can do heavy is leg press and even then I have to be really careful.

I wonder if you actually have a weakness back there that's causing it to get irritated? If everything else is much stronger the weakest point will always be what goes first. Strengthening that area may help some. I've found that my back hurts much less if I work it more with back extensions and some other spinal erector strengthening

The GHR is actually how Louie Simmons got back into being able to Squat/Deadlift again and got him back to competing man, and his body was totally broken. I’d say if you started doing those on a more consistent basis and focus on strengthening your core, it could work wonders for you. And yes I’d absolutely recommend checking that page out, it helped me work out a lot of kinks I was having with my hips, hip flexors, and even my psoas.

GearChurch Gang
I'll be checking that out too lol. I've been having serious issues with my lower back and hips lately

IML Gear Cream!
I'll be checking that out too lol. I've been having serious issues with my lower back and hips lately

Do it man and look up some videos on how the Westside team uses it, I know a lot of those guys have dealt with tons of injuries over the years of destroying themselves on the platform and they’ve been able to keep competing because of the benefits of the GHR

GearChurch Gang

Man i ruined my back abusing pain killers and tren/winny in my early 20's. Nothing serious enough for surgery but gets stiff easily and once is pumped becomes painful quickly.

Back