• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Brandon Curry Responds To Dorian Yates Criticisms Of Olympia

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Brandon Curry Responds To Dorian Yates Criticisms Of Olympia

Dorian Yates was recently quite critical of Brandon Curry, and the 2019 Mr. Olympia. Now, Brandon has had the time to think and respond to those comments.

Yates was recently asked about the 2019 Mr. Olmypia, in an interview. There, he said that he felt the competition was not as good as it once was, and that things were better in his generation. Moreover, he said that the athletes competing in this year’s competition lacked the size of the bodybuilders that he is used to.

Following that, Yates was asked about the 2019 Olympia champ, Brandon Curry. When asked to critique Curry, Yates was again fairly critical. He said that Brandon had good stature and size, which likely won him the competition. However, he is lacking in some definition and conditioning that Yates felt was unacceptable. Furthermore, he said that Curry had a physique that he would have had six weeks out from the competition, and that in his day, Brandon would not have even made the top six.

Now, shortly after these comments, Brandon Curry has responded.

We reached out to 2019 Mr. Olympia directly to ask for a statement, and he was kind enough to respond. In the statement, Curry is pure class, and nothing but respectful.

This is what he had to say:
What can I say to all of that? First off, Dorian simply answered questions that he was asked by the interviewer.

And he gave his opinions. Can’t be mad at Dorian for that. Let him have what he accomplished in his day and if my win is able to bring him relevance in present day through a comparison of himself to me then so be it.

Opinions are just opinions. Some are constructive criticism and and some are just unproductive. It is what it is.

Personally I could never imagine comparing myself and what I am able to accomplish now to whomever is crowned 20 years from now.

My time is NOW.

I live in the present. All that matters at the end of the day is that I secured my win. I’ve got work to do, and I’m staying focused on it.

My feelings don’t get butt hurt about all this stuff. Not sure what/why everyone is saying to much but hey…I guess I must’ve doing something right.

Truly, Brandon Curry was nothing but respectful to Yates, and the things he accomplished. He completely understood the perspective that Yates was coming from, and is just happy to be himself. All in all, this was about as perfect response as one could ask for from the 2019 Mr. Olympia.

Attachments

• brandon-curry.jpg
    brandon-curry.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 41
Saw the interview, and as much as I like Curry, Yates was just speaking facts. Some line ups are more stacked than others, and the top 6 in Dorians day were much tougher than todays line up.

But with that being said, Curry won on this given day. And what happened in the past shouldnt effect the status of his win. If he won in a stacked line up or an off line up, at the end of the day he still won.

Let him have what he accomplished in his day and if my win is able to bring him relevance in present day through a comparison of himself to me then so be it.

My time is NOW.

I live in the present.

Truly, Brandon Curry was nothing but respectful to Yates, and the things he accomplished. He completely understood the perspective that Yates was coming from, and is just happy to be himself. All in all, this was about as perfect response as one could ask for from the 2019 Mr. Olympia.

IMO he is indicating that Yates is old and irrelevant...having had his day in the sun.

So not quite the "perfect" response in my eyes.

I do think that Curry did win this year under the circumstances and competition put forth against him. He should enjoy his win.

But no sense in comparing.

Like saying Ali would have beaten Mike Tyson in his prime. We all know Ali would have whipped his ass.

IMO he is indicating that Yates is old and irrelevant...having had his day in the sun.

So not quite the "perfect" response in my eyes.

I do think that Curry did win this year under the circumstances and competition put forth against him. He should enjoy his win.

But no sense in comparing.

Like saying Ali would have beaten Mike Tyson in his prime. We all know Ali would have whipped his ass.
Exactly! All those not so hidden insults. Irrelevant? Puleeeez! Dorians pedigree is legendary. His “opinion” carries weight. People just want people to say nice things all the time. Sure, Curry IS Mr. Olympia. He is deserving. He is the best that showed up so he won. But the question to Dorian was clear as was his answer. Curry wouldn’t have been top 6 in Dorian’s era. Don’t believe it. Look back at the line ups from Haney’s era through Cutler’s. It wasn’t 3 or 4 guys showing up in top shape.

Me? Would have said something like “Dorian might be right. That era was incredible but in bb you can only compete against who shows up. In 2019 I am Mr. Olympia.”
Everyone with the sore pussies these days.

Brandon is 100% a class act, but Dorian is 100% correct: The guys today look differently because they train differently. They all have superior genetics but that is where the similarities end. You will see this everyday at the gym.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tny2ioAEiW8

Last edited:
Curry is a act through and through. Glad he took him the title this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Props to Curry for responding the way he did. Dorian is right, but we are not in the 90's and Curry deserved this title at this show

That is the way to handle a loaded question and not feed into the toxic media culture of today. Well played sir! Times change, no one looks like Arnold and no one looks like Ronnie so keep it moving forward.

Just makes me an even bigger fan of Curry. That's a tactful response if I've ever heard one....with that said I think they both have valid arguments. Shit - they are both the best in the world - who can hate on that?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The guy has amazing genetics and....everything. I would just like to see him in hard condition (no homo). You can get a dense and grainy look from lighter weights if you go to absolute failure and incorporate drop sets/supersets. You would think that conditioning and that granite hard look is just a matter of low bodyfat and androgens. Yes, of course those are critical variables, but for some reason that dense freaky look only comes out from balls to the walls training. I don't have a scientific reason, but I have seen it a thousand times: You have to really suffer to get that look.

We are born with genetics, but that look has to be earned, and the guys now simply do no reflect that reality. It is the Phil Heath phenomena.

IML Gear Cream!
It bears repeating: Curry is a class act, he is a great representative for the sport. And what an amazing amount of muscle on such a short guy (I mean that with all due respect) the guy has the mass and shape to dominate for many years.

You can get a dense and grainy look from lighter weights if you go to absolute failure and incorporate drop sets/supersets.

That is false. Ronnie and Dorian still trained very heavy before their contests and had amazing conditioning. Its all about diet, and manipulation of sodium, fiber, and water. I think a lot of guys now are afraid to lose size and are trying to play the size game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back