• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Is Growth Hormone Worth It? – A Doctor's View

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Growth Hormone – A Doctor's View

Is it worth injecting? Can you boost GH naturally? Do any supplements work? Answers here.

Is GH Worth It?
Here's a question I received recently from a T Nation reader:

"For middle-aged men, is human growth hormone worth the price as an anti-aging or longevity treatment? Is there any way to naturally boost GH?"

It's a great question and currently I'm torn on its use. I've prescribed HGH very sparingly in my career, but have enough data to tell you I find its benefit inconsistent in the general population.

I don't use this medication off label, so I can't give you objective feedback on the use in bodybuilders. I have used it in a couple of elite CrossFit athletes for a time to help speed healing from injuries. Even in this regard, it's hard to pinpoint if HGH was the major driver of results since I was doing several other interventions as well.

At this time, it's not something I feel too excited about in terms of delivering all of those fountain of youth effects we hear so much about.

GH Without a Syringe?
Human growth hormone levels can be raised naturally. Quantity and quality sleep, adequate protein, and high volume weight training (the kind that gets the muscles burning and generates that pump) are what I'm talking about. The strain-inducing heavy loads do it as well, but that type of training leans a bit more towards testosterone generation.

Start with 8 hours of sleep per night. Go to bed by 10:00 and wake early. Take in 30-40% of daily calories as protein, sticking to a smart training cycle with adequate rest and recovery. These are the best proven ways to raise HGH naturally.

Injectable Peptides and Supplements
I'm currently exploring the use of injectable peptides like Ipamorelin in my clinic. Several of my physician colleagues have been reporting good success. This peptide is a GH-releasing hormone.

You also may want to consider arginine and citrulline supplementation. There's some indication these MAY have the potential to boost GH. A good starting dose is 5-10g arginine or 3g citrulline each day.

One study in 2008 (PMID: 18090659) showed arginine supplementation can boost HGH by 100%. Exercise spiked it 300-500%. I bring this up because supplements always seem to be the way we'd like to do things, yet lifestyle factors often outperform them.

One odd finding was that the combination of exercise and arginine supplementation was not synergistic and seemed to blunt the exercise effect to some degree, only enhancing GH by 200%. Who knows what that means for us as individuals. Perhaps on days you're not in the gym, try the arginine, and days you're hitting it hard, don't bother.

I quit reading after he said he doesn't use medications off label.

Weird how my doctor wouldn’t prescribe hgh for injury healing.... he said it cannot be rx for secondary usuage meaning is have to have legit deficiencies ..

I have seen guys get huge benefits - whereas I tried every brand and dose imaginable for 3 years and go nothing except water retention and sore joints .-OD

I have seen guys get huge benefits - whereas I tried every brand and dose imaginable for 3 years and go nothing except water retention and sore joints .-OD

I noticed some decent changes after 6mo or so but in the long run I don't think it's worth it. Just my opinion though.

I just get accelerated fat loss and quicker recovery. Some guys grow like crazy. I notice those guys that are hyper responders also have their head, feet, and hands grow. Jay Cutler told my friend he went up two shoe sizes from HGH. The top pros have huge heads like a bobble head doll. 😂🤣

Back