• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Watches - which one to buy?

heavyiron

Community Veteran
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Want something a little dressy or just everyday wear? Planning to dive with it? Prefer chronographs? Price range?

Want something a little dressy or just everyday wear? Planning to dive with it? Prefer chronographs? Price range?
I want rugged, waterproof and heavy duty. $500-$1,500

I would only snorkel and swim with it. Nothing real deep.

This one is at the lower end of your price range.

https://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-W...OHFLAAKE52AEJAY3C7VII&recalg=936,933&recidx=0

It has only a 100 meter rating (and I would not dive with anything with only a 100 meter rating, but swimming and snorkeling are probably fine). While I have not owned this particular model, I have owned a cheaper watch by this same company, and it took anything I could dish out to it, including logging operations in timber, tumbles down black diamond ski slopes, and just everything . . . The leather on mine broke one day while operating a chain saw. I could not find it. It was the best watch I had ever owned in terms of "ruggedness," the first characteristic you listed. I did not dive with it.

You guys just reminded me I always set a price range and a price limit. Then always want something that’s just outside of said limit. Funny how that goes

too dressy for me. Im thinking more of a tactical look.

Rolex - damn thing broke on me from nothing but daily white collar sedentary wear, one ski trip, some sniper competitions, and a few hunting trips. I treated it pretty well, compared to the Victorinox, so I was sort of surprised when it broke, given the price of the thing. I probably won't own another one (although I have a friend with at least a quarter million invested in various models who swears by them).

I have heard great things about the longevity of the higher priced G-shock watches, but, again, no firsthand experience here. Lots of good reviews online from folks who have abused them. That one has a 200 meter rating - could be good for some actual diving if you change your mind, quartz movement ought to be very accurate. I personally like chronographs, so I like the extra three dials, but that is a personal preference thing. I rarely actually use them.

Solar powered and blue tooth connectivity . . . whoa!

Just FYI, that watch is huge. 51.7 mm is much larger than a typical man's watch, which is 43 mm.

Last edited:
Should give you some idea of the size - and apparently you can set it from your cell phone. . . .

Check out Luminox watches. Definitely have the tactical look and a great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out Luminox watches. Definitely have the tactical look and a great

Have you owned one? How did it hold up? Like I said in post #10, I have no experience owning one of these. I have friends who like theirs, but the reviews online are all over the map from "I have abused mine for years, and it is great," to "I dropped it and the second hand fell off two days after I started wearing it." I suspect it is just a few defective watches, but maybe quality control is not what it used to be? I don't see anybody complaining online about the second hand falling off of their Tag Heuer (my first and second recommendations, dismissed as too dressy), but it is a completely different price point.

I actually like the way many of the Luminox watches look, and I have been tempted to get one for casual wear, but I a really rough on watches, and I would hate to spend even a few hundred dollars on something that there is a good chance I might break because it is not built to hold up to the things I do.

Last edited:
If you prefer a heavy (no pun intended) feel and rugged style I recommend the TAG Heuer line, they plenty to choose from. I've had the same one for 15 years, I've sent it in 2 times for maintenance and keeps perfect time.

Last edited:
Have you owned one? How did it hold up? Like I said in post #10, I have no experience owning one of these. I have friends who like theirs, but the reviews online are all over the map from "I have abused mine for years, and it is great," to "I dropped it and the second hand fell off two days after I started wearing it." I suspect it is just a few defective watches, but maybe quality control is not what it used to be? I don't see anybody complaining online about the second hand falling off of their Tag Heuer (my first and second recommendations, dismissed as too dressy), but it is a completely different price point.

I actually like the way many of the Luminox watches look, and I have been tempted to get one for casual wear, but I a really rough on watches, and I would hate to spend even a few hundred dollars on something that there is a good chance I might break because it is not built to hold up to the things I do.

I’ve never personally owned one but I almost bought one years back. They’re supposed to be tried and true tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get Shredded!
Thoughts on the seiko 5 line.. I'm thinking about maybe getting a 5 sport.. a watch $200 and below to wear daily that will handle take a beating and I won't cry to much if if breaks eventually.

Where’s Flipper? Nobody knows watches more than that guy. He just bought some Bathysphere something or the other with ten names I can’t pronounce made out of meteors. Something like that. Good for 6,000 meters. He has a VERY deep pool.

I’ve owned a lot of watches only have a few now . G-shock are very good everyday watches that hold up to anything and are extremely accurate and the newer models have a lot to choose from as far as looks I definitely recommend looking at them .

That's a nice looking watch for less than 200 bucks.
https://www.jomashop.com/seiko-watc...MI2vmV87vg5AIVh5-fCh3erQsEEAQYAyABEgKLrfD_BwE

My favorite watch (the Swiss Army one mentioned above) was less than $200 . . .

I like the looks of that one as well. Im considering it as well actually. Im into stainless bands. I really prefer the all blacked out look. Band, dial etc.

Now to pick your brain.. how much is there a difference between a Swiss movement vs Japanese movement like what's used in seiko or citizen brand watches.

Hublot or Breitling..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Almost bought a Breitling last year. LOVE those watches.

Back