Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IM>ASF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,667 Posts
    Rep Points

why is high Hematocrit bad?

when you donate blood if your hematocrit is too high they wont let you donate. the whole purpose of blood donation is to get RBC so if you have a higher level that should be better right? is it because they think your too dehydrated? anyway a side effects of AAS use is higher hematocrit which is what moves oxygen and you would think it would have a positive effect but it seems to make me tired

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    832 Posts
    Rep Points

I believe it is because your blood is thicker making your heart work harder to pump the blood and harder to push blood through arteries and veins so the smallest blockage could turn into a big issue.
    In my experience, your hematrocit has to be insanely high for them to turn you away though. They take almost anyone they can get.
    I know one thing- I am waiting a while before my next blood donation. 2 blood donations in a year and a surgery and all the sudden I have an iron deficiency but I am not anemic. Dr. has me running all kinds of fucking tests even though I am certain it is due to the donations and the surgery not to mention my results were less than a week after I donated blood.
    Last edited by lifter6973; 09-16-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Rep Points

Clinics use it for hydration levels. If your hematocrit is high they always tell you to drink plenty of water the day before and morning of the donation. Drinking water dilutes your blood and lowers your hematocrit #.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    967 Posts
    Rep Points

Anytime numbers are out of whack, the consequences of complications can be more severe. It is just a liability concern.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    259 Posts
    Rep Points

Seems like they could just dump some saline into the donation bag, dilute that shit down within specs. Problem solved!

Board Rep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Rep Points

There is a lot of newer research that is starting to surface that is proposing that secondary polycemia that is exhibited in steroid users is not a significant risk for thrombotic events given platelets are not severely elevated and no underlying conditions of the heart or cardiovascular system are present. That said, sometimes phlebotomy can cause ferritin to crash and over time the body will respond by producing more red blood cells in an effort to circulate the iron it can no longer detect.

Only time and more research will tell the whole tale. Even then, it will still take more time and research.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemalt View Post
    Seems like they could just dump some saline into the donation bag, dilute that shit down within specs. Problem solved!
    This is actually a plausible solution. If only we could have access to saline all the time!

IM>ASF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,667 Posts
    Rep Points

it definately doesnt have anything to do with your donation because they constantly ask for double red donations

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Rep Points

Shit I think I asked them once when I was donating. I want to say due to it being so thick itís harder to store or transport?? Or doesnít last as long. I could be wrong but I think it was along those lines.

Board Rep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by 9TMARE View Post
    Shit I think I asked them once when I was donating. I want to say due to it being so thick itís harder to store or transport?? Or doesnít last as long. I could be wrong but I think it was along those lines.
    When your Hemoglobin is above a certain level, they are concerned that you may be carrying a genetic mutation that could be harmful to the recipient. Obviously out H and H is only elevated due to AAS, but we don't want them to know that either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Rep Points

That would require a venipuncture which would leave with one arm to use for the actual donation which increases risk and also wastes resources and time paying their phlebotomist to hydrate people when you could just drink a couple bottles of water and return the next day. That's my guess...lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Rep Points

It slows the donation, but also they don't want to put sludgy blood into people who depend on it to survive. You may function decently with a hematocrit of 55 but it may cause complications for the patient in poor health who needs it.

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by xstarchildx View Post
    When your Hemoglobin is above a certain level, they are concerned that you may be carrying a genetic mutation that could be harmful to the recipient. Obviously out H and H is only elevated due to AAS, but we don't want them to know that either
    Haha a strong ass genetic mutation! That makes perfect sense. If your saving lives then everything need to be spot on.

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ArgonCoagulator View Post
    It slows the donation, but also they don't want to put sludgy blood into people who depend on it to survive. You may function decently with a hematocrit of 55 but it may cause complications for the patient in poor health who needs it.
    Makes sense. Putting sludge in with the pure would only make sludgy pure blood. So far never been denied! Going every 3 months is definitely the way to go.

Board Rep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Rep Points

Makes sense. Putting sludge in with the pure would only make sludgy pure blood. So far never been denied! Going every 3 months is definitely the way to go.
    That's awesome that it's working for you. It does for many. And heck, you're saving lives in the process! I personally can't donate frequently at all or my ferritin plummets. Talk about feeling like chit!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,805 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by xstarchildx View Post
    That's awesome that it's working for you. It does for many. And heck, you're saving lives in the process! I personally can't donate frequently at all or my ferritin plummets. Talk about feeling like chit!
    I'm the opposite, if I don't go often enough my HCT and RD-W rises a bunch and I feel terrible. Bad headaches and everything. About 1/3 of a big in it eases up and goes away. It's crazy. My ferritin has never dropped substantially though. I never heard of this before