Thread: World War 3

IM>ASF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,653 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemalt View Post
    Good point, and yes I am. However, I'd argue most people voting for the GOP are doing exactly the same, as evidenced by my examples. If ostensibly "conservative" politicians (like Trump) actually had some integrity between their rhetoric and real policies I wouldn't feel the need to point any of this out. Trump is no conservative however.

I'm aware of the gold standard history, the abandoning of it (didn't that happen under GOP president Nixon?) and the alarmist arguments over the decades about how we're headed for doom. I don't buy it. Even gold itself has a fictitious, non-utilitarian aspect to its value far beyond any real value for shiny stuff to put on your fingers or for highly conductive electronics. We humans inflate that value because... other humans also inflate it. Just like seashells in old island cultures. Just like paper money and Bitcoin.
    do you really think that policies have anything to do with the hack that stands infront of the podium? I know you dont, just saying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    967 Posts
    Rep Points

I find it interesting that folks always blame the President for the budget. I saw Republicans doing the same thing when Obama was President. The House holds the purse strings. The President cannot spend a dime that Congress does not authorize to be spent.

But it's like the economy - The President can't do much one way or the other about the economy (except perhaps get the hell out of the way), but the American people hold the President to blame (or credit) like the President actually created products and jobs. LOL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    967 Posts
    Rep Points

The budget is so hamstrung by entitlement spending (the majority of the budget) that deficits cannot be brought under control without massive changes to social security, medicare, and medicaid - but nobody wants to go there, so be prepared to have deficits and increasing debt for the rest of your lives. Our grandkids will have to make the hard choices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    967 Posts
    Rep Points

Attacks knocked out half of Saudi Arabia's oil capacity - 5 million barrels a day.

Oil prices up 18% but dropped to 14.7% after the President announced the release of oil from the strategic reserve. Gasoline futures up 13%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,655 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemalt View Post
    Good point, and yes I am. However, I'd argue most people voting for the GOP are doing exactly the same, as evidenced by my examples. If ostensibly "conservative" politicians (like Trump) actually had some integrity between their rhetoric and real policies I wouldn't feel the need to point any of this out. Trump is no conservative however.

I'm aware of the gold standard history, the abandoning of it (didn't that happen under GOP president Nixon?) and the alarmist arguments over the decades about how we're headed for doom. I don't buy it. Even gold itself has a fictitious, non-utilitarian aspect to its value far beyond any real value for shiny stuff to put on your fingers or for highly conductive electronics. We humans inflate that value because... other humans also inflate it. Just like seashells in old island cultures. Just like paper money and Bitcoin.
    This makes a lot of sense to me, actually. I definitely agree that while gold may be a rare element thatís pretty ok at conductivity... there are plenty of reliable alternatives. I understand the importance of capital in a free market/free world.... I feel like the debt of a nation is pretty much just words... even as it exists... so what? Every nation owes every nation for something ...

what else could be as a society use as capital, instead of gold or oil or paperbacks? I donít understand money at all... guess thatís why Iím a broke dick haha

IM>ASF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,653 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Milford King View Post
    This makes a lot of sense to me, actually. I definitely agree that while gold may be a rare element thatís pretty ok at conductivity... there are plenty of reliable alternatives. I understand the importance of capital in a free market/free world.... I feel like the debt of a nation is pretty much just words... even as it exists... so what? Every nation owes every nation for something ...

what else could be as a society use as capital, instead of gold or oil or paperbacks? I donít understand money at all... guess thatís why Iím a broke dick haha
    its not money its the banking system. they take something that is yours like your paycheck, you probably even bank at the same place your company does so it never physically leaves their hands and just transfer some digits to your account and charge your company then you. all the while they barely hold 10% of actual cash in their vaults for all the members that are depositing with them. then you pay you mortgage and car loan and credit card all probably at the same place without an actual cent ever being produced