Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New job

IM>ASF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,644 Posts
    Rep Points

how old are you TP? is that short for toilet paper? there is always the Army, altho people think its easy to enlist, its actually not that simple, you need to be healthy and in shape, plus pass the ASVAB with a decent score

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,328 Posts
    Rep Points

Get in a trade bro itís well worth it. I was a low voltage apprentice for awhile which led me to getting a job working on submarines and now Iím leaving that to work on trains... college was never for me and I knew that, learning a trade can make you serious $$$

ASF MVP
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11,133 Posts
    Rep Points

I can't believe no one has pointed this out yet. But... Working with a spouse is HUGE deal. Been there, done that. You have an argument at home? Guess what. Now you can't escape by going to work. It is going to carry over. She is going to be giving you the stink eye all day long. And be prepared for the, "I couldn't help but notice the new girl spent a REALLY long time talking to you." You can't begin to imagine the dumb arguments that are going to come up. Just my $.02

Don't get me wrong, it has a FEW perks. But if you're dreaming of getting a blowjob in the backroom, keep dreaming.

As others have said, if college and that path isn't an option, learn a trade. And be prepared to job hop the first years. It DOES help to boost your income. Best of luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    202 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Multislacking View Post
    I can't believe no one has pointed this out yet. But... Working with a spouse is HUGE deal. Been there, done that. You have an argument at home? Guess what. Now you can't escape by going to work. It is going to carry over. She is going to be giving you the stink eye all day long. And be prepared for the, "I couldn't help but notice the new girl spent a REALLY long time talking to you." You can't begin to imagine the dumb arguments that are going to come up. Just my $.02

Don't get me wrong, it has a FEW perks. But if you're dreaming of getting a blowjob in the backroom, keep dreaming.

As others have said, if college and that path isn't an option, learn a trade. And be prepared to job hop the first years. It DOES help to boost your income. Best of luck.
    Yep. Iíd never do that. Not a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,736 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by A.font401 View Post
    Get in a trade bro itís well worth it. I was a low voltage apprentice for awhile which led me to getting a job working on submarines and now Iím leaving that to work on trains... college was never for me and I knew that, learning a trade can make you serious $$$
    Yep, my younger brother went to a trade school for HVAC and he now owns his own HVAC company. Business has been good for him and he's gotten a few state and federal government contracts over the years.
    Show me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MindlessWork View Post
    Move to the Northeast...there's plenty of jobs in the fields you mentioned.
    Exactly my man. Native to the North East

Sent from my Z839 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,736 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dukey View Post
    Exactly my man. Native to the North East

I have been a Northeasterner for practically all of my life except for 6 months I lived in NC when I was a kid. Plan to retire to NC.

Right now in good ol' NH
    Last edited by MindlessWork; 09-08-2019 at 08:23 AM.
    Show me

ASF MVP
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11,133 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Canebrake View Post
    Yep. Iíd never do that. Not a chance.
    By choice the first time, not by choice the second. If you know what i mean.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by tp4266 View Post
    I canít even drive a manual car. Never learned.

I was an extruder operator in a factory. I worked at a dog food factory. I live in the south where there isnít much when it comes to technology based jobs. I have some college in business management, information system security, and information system administration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Business degree? Then go for manager bro, why cook in the back when you have an education. And look into staring your own business. Seriously. As far as waffle house Vs factory? Where's the money at and room for advancement?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MindlessWork View Post
    I have been a Northeasterner for practically all of my life except for 6 months I lived in NC when I was a kid. Plan to retire to NC.

Right now in good ol' NH
    NY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Rep Points

I would highly suggest that you dont get a job working with your girl. I can guarantee that will be more problems then the paycheck will justify. Just find what you like to do and run with it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Rep Points

Actually Iím 31 yrs old now. I never finished college. My wife and I have worked together for 7 yrs. It works for us and has never really been a problem. Iím very good with computers.

The restaurant business is something I havenít done but willing to try it. Where I was working was going no where. I was in good with the previous plant manager and then thing were good and I was moving up. Now they got new management and people moved up and the place has gotten so bad even supervisors are stepping down or quitting.

If I could I would move away from the south to where there are more jobs in what I would like but money is holding me back.

IM>ASF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,644 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dukey View Post
    Business degree? Then go for manager bro, why cook in the back when you have an education. And look into staring your own business. Seriously. As far as waffle house Vs factory? Where's the money at and room for advancement?

maybe he could eventually be the manager of the waffle house

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by heckler7 View Post
    maybe he could eventually be the manager of the waffle house
    Maybe but I would look at this as being temporary until I found another job doing something else. I like the advise all of you have given me but this could take time finding a job and I still have to pay bills til then.

Twat Waffle Inspector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by tp4266 View Post
    Actually Iím 31 yrs old now. I never finished college. My wife and I have worked together for 7 yrs. It works for us and has never really been a problem. Iím very good with computers.

The restaurant business is something I havenít done but willing to try it. Where I was working was going no where. I was in good with the previous plant manager and then thing were good and I was moving up. Now they got new management and people moved up and the place has gotten so bad even supervisors are stepping down or quitting.

If I could I would move away from the south to where there are more jobs in what I would like but money is holding me back.

I went back to college at 30. Got a tech degree. Best move ever.... also, I could never work with the wife... f that!

Worked in restaurant business in my late late teens to early 20ís... perfect for the bachelor party life... restaurant girls are easy