• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Recovery log after surgery

IML Gear Cream!
Sounds like a bitch of a recovery. Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress.
Its a place in my life im not accustomed to.
There are a lot of uncertainties. One thing for sure.. After seeing the surgeon come july 3rd. I want to be ready/able to go back to full duty. 5 month on a very limited income has made things very difficult. So it will be worse if i go back on light duty with heavy restrictions.. So i wanna push as hard as i can (smartly)without causing more damage.
At the 6month mark i wanna have most of my mobility and range of motion back!

Today 1hr 30min rehab/therapy.
Started off stretching me out on the table.
Trying to get the right arm/shoulder to a full above the head stretch.
Also worked on the side range of motion.
First exercise was new.
Double straps hanging from above my head down to my thigh (height).
Take one in each hand, with palms facing me and arms fully extended straight out in front of me I walk forward until both arm are pulled upward above my head and my arms are now being pulled behind me. Hold this position for 5 seconds. Repeat for 20 reps. I was definitely feeling this stretching out my right arm/shoulder. The pain/soreness was comparable to my first few weeks of therapy..
Definitely need to get this arm to full rom.
Im very flexable to begin with. So i would compare this to about 70% range of motion.

Best way to describe this is a cable crossover .
Begin with my right arm pulling a (band)from thigh high on my left side. Bring my right elbow up in a chicken wing position shoulder height then extend my arm out to the side so my arm is straight out. Hold and bring back slowly .. Repeat for 20reps.
Like a half of an X. If you can picture that.
Then i performed all my normal band exercises. Everything is with the black bands.

Followed by laying chest down on the table.
one arm rows 7lb
Reverse Flyes 5lb
One arm Rear delt raise 5lb
Bicep curls 7lb
Supination curl 7lb
Reverse curl 7lb

Wall push ups
Standard 20
Miltary 20
Diamond 20

When done went to the gym
20minutes arch trainer
Leg extentions
4 set -15 reps
Leg curls
4 sets 12-15 reps
Seated Calf raises
4 sets 10-15reps

Back in for 20min arch trainer.
Called left a message for my ortho.
Asked if im able to lift 45lb plates using both hands.
Also will confirm about using overhead pulldowns for stretching and range of motion purposes. Little to no weights.
Hopefully i will get a call back tomorrow.
Using the black bands and stretching them how i do when doing certain exercises. I can definitely say im pushing/pulling more than 45lbs. It also took more than 45lbs of pressure for me to break the last black band.
Crossing my fingers.

Just leaving the gym. Update once i get home.

todays therapy*
Before we began everything i decided to talk about my shoulder in detail and really press the issue about there seems to be no rotation in the socket.*
She agreed it seems to be froze/bound up.*
So we changed some stretching and table work. Placing a ball behind my delt pressing the shoulder forward and with my arm out to the side in a 90 degree angle , i would push her hand with an internal rotation for 10 seconds. The allow the forearm to fall back like flexing my bicep(position). Each time i had a better stretch allowing my arm to fall back closer to a normal flexing position.*
Dam i was sore and im sure i will be sore later but its well worth it. I wiah we had begun these sooner.*
I did all my normal exercise. Lasted about 1.5hrs of therapy.*
Afterward i went to the gym.
35 minutes of the arch trainer.. Added 3 minutes was of a cool down. 4 , 3, 2 done.*
I would go 3 minutes level 8 incline 1minute level 4 and repeat. Until finished. Resistance stayed the same at 10.

Will go back tonight to Do more cardio and get in a real workout and stretch.*
Ive been cleared for a bunch of tricep exercises, some closer grip pulling exercises, Rows , some bicep work, also.
Legs.

*last night hit the gym again about 11:30pm. got outta the gym about 1:10am.*
Started off 15minutes arch trainer
Leg extentions
Leg curls
Seated calf raises
One arm preacher curl*
Tricep ext. 3 sets workwd up to 100lbs. Was worried about putting pressure on the front of the shoulder so kept things lighter than normal. But better than doing no weights.. Had a good pump. Changed grips from a v grip to straight bar. Only did 2 sets with the straight bar. I could definitely feel more of a pull in the front on the right shoulder. So i didnt wanna chance it.
Moved over used v grips for seated low cable rows. Used light weight but kept constant TUT. Nice and slow movements.*
Moved over to the pec deck.*
Used one arm adjusted for a good stretch. Used very light weight. Did 4 sets of like 30 reps. Didn't feel a whole lot but each time i will try increasing a little as long as everything stays safe.
Moved over to seated machine rows.*
Did 3 sets light weight i think maybe 70-80lbs. Slow and strict. Constant tut.*
Did a variety of stretching then moved back in for 30 minutes of the arch trainer.
Was a good day i will say. Hit the gum twice

Thanks for posting your experience with the whole recovery process. I'm heading in for cuff surgery in 2 weeks and this is a glimpse of what lies ahead of me. Glad your doing better and able to hit the gym again. Please keep posting your progress!

Ok i thought i posted the other night. It was kinda late. Guess i fell asleep and it didnt go through.
So this will be a shorter version.
Made some big strides in recovery and rom.
Also, during therapy we have added machines along with bands and dumbells.
Still doing about 1hr of stretching every night before bed laying on the floor. I have a hard massage ball i place behind my scapula and move it to different spots up and down the lats and delt. At each spot i may stay there up to 10 or 15 minutes allowing my arm to stretch out to the side and above my head. We have really pushed hard trying to get the rotation back in the upper arm/shoulder. Seems to be helping but it is relentless.
Ive just moved up to 25s on dumbells for curls. And forearms. I havent done any shoulder pressing movements. This is where the arm needs to rotate so im in position to do these.
My last visit to therapy was Just under 2 hrs in time.
Incorporated some modified pushups, military and diamonds. Ball throws, rows with weights(close grip) high and low. I know i havent added in everything but dont wanna make this to long!
I feel im ready to start back pushing for some strength.
Get into a slightly modified routine but effective.
I believe its time to start a log and dial in cardio and training now. Chest i will have some questions and open to suggestions. Same will go with back and pulldowns. Main goal, drop all this fat ive picked up and get to work. No fucking around. No excuses... I see the ortho next week the 3rd. I assume i will be back to work the 8th. I have to clear some things with My ortho but i believe she should go along with what im asking.
This has been a long ongoing process. Since i first gotten hurt in 2017. Since then everything started going downnhill. im very excited to finally see the light and begin my journey back!!!!

Seen the the ortho. Back to work full duty!

There are still issues but i was told i may lose 7-10% of my range of motion. Also, i was told no ball throwing at all. Im suppose to be seen again in 3 months. As for now, continue therapy at home. Funny thing is when i brought this up she was very fast to say no throwing !!! Yet in therapy ive been doin ball throwing into a net with a weighted ball. Oopsy.

I was told i can do most things. No jaring/ jerking movements. I can do pushups for strengthing my chest. I can do bench but she doesn't want me to go below parallel.

I return to work sunday night. 11-7 for the week.

Gonn Keep things kinda light, work on increases my strength(should be easy) keep higher reps. Dropsets, supersets. Time under tention. Etc.
So now its actually time to get my fat ass back in shape. Update shortly

That’s good news bro.

i was on short term disability for a total of 4 months last year..... the financial stress is still going. Stay healthy and make that money bud

First week back and things here(work)have really taken a dive. On a good note. Im feeling pretty good. Work 7p-7a today. Im making money and cannot complain. Being out of work and really out of commission for such a long period of time really gives you a different perspective on things. A clearer perspective.
All therapy from here on out is being done at home, work, or the gym.
Tonight ive completed some of my stretching, a 25 minute jog, 3 sets of regular pushups, for shoulder presses, im using the lightest band i have because i still cannot rotate the lower arm and hand into that throwing position. So it kinda moves in a slightly forward upward motion.
I am able to do corkscrew/swimmer press a little easier since it starts in at the shoulder and rotates upward.

Will update more in a few hrs.
Tonight im gonna do some light delts concentrate on tut. Slow and methodical.
Followed by some biceps/tricep

Get Shredded!
Good to hear you are making money again. That's more important for a man than weight training.

Its going well. A little slow for the moment.
Mainly due to work and some issues with the bad management. Health and Safety concerns, and until tonight, this week has been horrible. Tonight ive managed to get in 2 runs as of now. Maybe 150 pushups and light shoulder work.
I will get in a combo of arms and delts with some other variations in pushups. Military decline and diamonds.
They allowed the other 2 operators both to go on vacation this week at the same time. So its been a very bad week with some crazy issues. Im down 20lbs since coming back but honestly seems like nothing.
I have a long way to go but will keep at it. Shoulder has definitely gotten stronger. A little more flexable. Im still having issues with numbness down my arm from laying in a certain position or from putting my right lower tricep and/or forearm on any surface. I will discuss these issues when i see my ortho again. But range of motion has improved. One issue that concerns me. Everytime i do a curl and get to the top of the motion and get that squeeze my bicep on the side just below my delt tightens up so much it feels like a cramp or charlie horse.. Its very odd and freaks me out everytime.

Glad its improving for you thanks for the update. It really helps me to keep positive I'm only 9 weeks post OP and frankly it's easy to get depressed cant train cant work really blows but life goes on. Keep up the hard work man and thanks

Glad its improving for you thanks for the update. It really helps me to keep positive I'm only 9 weeks post OP and frankly it's easy to get depressed cant train cant work really blows but life goes on. Keep up the hard work man and thanks
Did you have shoulder or bicep surgery? Or both?

Recovery when both done at the same time will take longer for recovery.
What exactly did you have done. How bad were the tears? I honestly didn't realize mine was as bad as it was.
Also, i was told because of the extensive wait before having my surgery that played a major role in recovery and healing. So where are you at in therapy as of now?

First 2 tendons In the front completely torn 3rd partially luckily the surgeon was able to cut of damaged tissue and stretched it back without having to add cadaver collagen thank god. Bicep tendon was tattered so he cut and attached it to the bone. Almost 10 weeks post OP, physical therapist since week 6 has me doing passive stretching and this last week he added 2 new non passive movements. He says based on weekly measurements that I'm making slow and steady progress which he says is preferred. I go back to see the surgeon in 3 weeks or so.

Where are you at and are you having any complications?

First 2 tendons In the front completely torn 3rd partially luckily the surgeon was able to cut of damaged tissue and stretched it back without having to add cadaver collagen thank god. Bicep tendon was tattered so he cut and attached it to the bone. Almost 10 weeks post OP, physical therapist since week 6 has me doing passive stretching and this last week he added 2 new non passive movements. He says based on weekly measurements that I'm making slow and steady progress which he says is preferred. I go back to see the surgeon in 3 weeks or so.

Where are you at and are you having any complications?

Just take you time. Slow and steady.
Stretch and follow there directions.
It will take some time. The hardest part for me was patients and sleeping. Sleeping sitting up for 3 months sucked. As long as you have a good support system in place. Spouse etc.. It really helps.
Was it your dominant arm/hand.?

Yes it was my dominant hand/arm. I have got pretty good using the left but now being out of the sling I can at least use the right for some basic stuff eating, cooking, writing etc.

Lucky for me I just started sleeping laying down last couple weeks. Before that I used a wedge with a neck doughnut and that was decent, I guess anything is better than the first month with not much sleep.

IML Gear Cream!
Yes it was my dominant hand/arm. I have got pretty good using the left but now being out of the sling I can at least use the right for some basic stuff eating, cooking, writing etc.

Lucky for me I just started sleeping laying down last couple weeks. Before that I used a wedge with a neck doughnut and that was decent, I guess anything is better than the first month with not much sleep.
Oh shit. Sounds like your on your way then.
Id have to go back and check how long i was in that dam sling and immobilizer but it was horrible..
Ive been doing light flyes/pec deck exercises recently. Also some dips using a desk.
These were some of my favorite exercises.
Dips i cant go as deep. But its ok for now.
It's not really that i cant, but at a certain point a feel a lot more pressure on the front of my shoulder where they did the anchor. So im playing it safe til i see my surgeon in october!
My overall range of motion has improved more.
The only thing im using right now is PSL TEST E for my trt. (Until i get a new dr in my area)
Also if you have low test. This will affect recovery/healing. I am so glad i was able to have everything tested and actually be prescribed trt. It has helped tremendously.

Last edited:
Talk to ya later today. Gotta get a few hrs of sleep. Have to be up in a few hrs for work.

Ok so today im at the orthos waiting to be seen. Believe this is my last visit. After this hoping to be given the clear to begin pushing myself without to many restrictions/restraints. Then i will begin my process with my lawyer and getting paid for 5months out of work. Cross your fingers.
Then a real log will begin.

Your about 8 months post op right? You still have any pain? Did you re-gain 100% mobility? Interested to hear how your feeling I'm only 3.5 months deep into it.

Your about 8 months post op right? You still have any pain? Did you re-gain 100% mobility? Interested to hear how your feeling I'm only 3.5 months deep into it.
Ive been fully released.
Just about 8 months.
No my range of motion is not 100%. Somethings are Very close to 100%, other things are about 70-80% rom.
I ve been cleared to hit the gym full throttle.
She was pretty surprised at my strength due to the magnitude of my surgery.
Sleeping sucks. Cannot go to sleep with my arm in an upward position other wise i will wake up and it feels like my trap and neck are pinched or locked up. I usually end up having a headache..
Now can begin to do dips, shrugs, pulldowns, and bench.. Just need to do a 5-6 minute warm up for my shoulder/rotator before hand..

Just an update... Its been a Long journey. Ive had to wait on doing anything to make sure it isnt used against me in court.
Ive been given a 45%disability rating. Now i have another dr app with the insurance company for their rating jan 6th.. Of course they will try and lower the rating.. After this i have court in February..
Once im done seeing their dr in January i will begin my return.. Until then i dont wanna do anything to jeopardize my case....

you're my dude the journey is about to begin..
I'm stoked for your Resurrection my man..

Back