• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 🩺Muscle Gelz® HUMANOGEN® - Powered by Ibutamoren® Increases Growth Hormone! (Transdermal - No Injecting!)🏥

High Volume or High Intensity Training?

Pushtoday

Board Rep
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
High Volume or High Intensity training?
Which do you prefer and why?

330px-Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

There are numerous studies and countless videos in regards to which is better for muscle growth.

I'm usually one who does High Volume sessions but lately my time has been extremely limited.
Which has forced me to cut my time in the gym down significantly.
While doing so I have been looking at ways to continue to grow without as much volume.
That has led to me trying different ways to increase intensity.

hitch-playoff.png

I have been using more and more intensity techniques like: Rest Pause, Dropsets, Muscle rounds, and Shorter rest/higher metabolic sessions as well.
So which do you prefer to do more sets with moderate weight or less sets with increased weight?

Intensity VS. Volume?

Both are optimal for muscle growth. One will allow you to become stronger, while the other will allow you to focus more on muscle contracting. Both have their benefits. Now, is one better than the other? That is personal preference with goal orientation in mind. If you are more into the power lifting aspect of this lifestyle, or simply looking to build strength, then lifting with heavier weights will be the better option for you. If bodybuilding, or body composition is your intended goal, then muscle contracting is of more importance than just simply moving the weight from point “A” to point “B”. But with that said, both should be done with intensity to fully take advantage of weight training and gaining as much as possible to achieve your goals.

High intensity for me. I generally switch it up, back and forth, every few months. Gains have been stalling with volume training though. Higher intensity with more frequency has really added some mass recently. Im a big fan of rest-pause and drop sets. A couple warm up sets then 1 or 2 all out sets for each muscle group.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

The greater the intensity the lower the volume. The greater the volume the lower the intensity.
You can program your workouts along these lines (periodization) to avoid overtraining and injury and to keep growing.
I like 12 week microcycles. Due to muscle turnover, you will have an entirely new muscle in about 12 weeks and evaluation of the training program is more realistic.
Be sure to match your nutrition to your training.

​So many videos out there in regards to the subject but this is the one that got me thinking....

Both. I just switched to a higher frequency program from a lower frequency with higher volume/intensity per workout to change things up. I think they both work well, I just like to change things up so I don't stagnate

They both work with sufficient nutrition and hormones.

In fact, one might work better than the other for a while just because you switched methods and your body has to adapt. I have had that happen. Do things one way for a long time, switch, and get an instant growth spurt. It levels off. Maybe switch back.

I didn't watch the meadows video...I like his POV on pretty much every topic I've heard him speak on, betting there some solid advice there for sure. My body adapts and mentally I get bored so I change things up, often. I'm keepein it real for my love of the game, I compete with my self so it's alll pretty damn intense to me ...for real.

High intensity.

Why waste time fucking off with multiple sets at less then full intensity when you can smash 3 and inflict the same amount of muscular damage/activation.

This...add in some drop sets here and there for some added volume if need be.. but always lift HARDER not LONGER.

Last edited:
Back