How Much Training is Too Much, or Too Little?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gym Derelict

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,168 Posts
    Rep Points

How Much Training is Too Much, or Too Little?

About a month ago I started a higher intensity training regimen and without a lot of detail I used to leave the gym feeling good and still fresh.

With this new routine I am doing slightly higher volume to failure with a max of 60 second breaks between sets. Now when I walk out of gym I feel worked. Amount of weight drops quicker towards th end than before.

I now take one hour to train and 15 minutes more when I add ab workout.......plus 30 minutes LISS every day.

Just a curiosity question but what is the intensity of your training? Do you push it hard to the point you are wiped out or still fresh after training?

Wickr: egalois

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    242 Posts
    Rep Points

I push until I feel spent. Typically, the reps did off pretty quickly at that point so itís pretty clear to me Iím done.

I used to head back to the gym the next day but over time this left me feeling like shit and my workouts suffered.

Now, I generally alternate days on/off or at most do on/on/off so that I can keep up the intensity but have time to recover.

Edit: I wrote the above with growth in mind. If I was cutting it would be different.

Gym Derelict

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,168 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by galois View Post
    I push until I feel spent. Typically, the reps did off pretty quickly at that point so itís pretty clear to me Iím done.

I used to head back to the gym the next day but over time this left me feeling like shit and my workouts suffered.

Now, I generally alternate days on/off or at most do on/on/off so that I can keep up the intensity but have time to recover.
    Yes! I now take a day off after no more than two days training. That is something else I noticed with this split is maximum two days of training one day off. Right now I take a day off before and after leg day.

Carpet-Chewer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,986 Posts
    Rep Points

I can only say that as I train a particular bodypart, enough sets are done to where symptoms of fatigue and weakness set in.

Being older, I can only train one body part a week. With cardio after each session which leaves me feeling pretty tired.

One can do exactly as you have to increase intensity (increasing weight is another way to increase intensity) by reducing rest periods forcing you to handle lighter weights...but still training at max intensity.

On chest days I train heavier and take more rest time between sets.

On my other workout days I move quickly with less rest and finish my workouts in half the time.

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    513 Posts
    Rep Points

When I leave the gym, I'm totally spent. If I leave there with energy left over, I didn't work hard enough. This is just me. Some people don't take it that serious, and that's fine with me.
    CLICK HERE TO SEE FULL PRICE LIST
    If you have any questions please dont hesitate to e-mail me at: US-DS@protonmail.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by dawg16 View Post
    When I leave the gym, I'm totally spent. If I leave there with energy left over, I didn't work hard enough. This is just me. Some people don't take it that serious, and that's fine with me.
    This for me as well. I'm usually not worth a shit the rest of the day after training, especially legs.
    lll-lll Rest in peace Big Lou lll-lll

EL PUFFO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Rep Points

I tend to go until whatever muscle group Iím working that day is pretty much useless, and then add a therapy set for my knee (if Iíve been working upper body) or my rotator cuff (if it was a leg day). Usually I still feel really energetic at the end of my workout, but that set of muscles I was training has turned to overstuffed sausages.

Always Hungry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Rep Points

Spent. But not many people can do that 7 days a week though.

I have 3 very hard days. 1 sometimes 2 assistance (bodybuilding) style workouts that aren't extreme. And either 2 off days or very light work for some blood flow and stretching.

My Squat day is may hardest day, and I have to be careful stepping down from my bathroom or my legs will half-way give out.

I plan on implementing growth here after my competition. Going to try for those 3 or 4 non primary days as hard bodybuilding days.

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    513 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Titan5011 View Post
    Spent. But not many people can do that 7 days a week though.

I have 3 very hard days. 1 sometimes 2 assistance (bodybuilding) style workouts that aren't extreme. And either 2 off days or very light work for some blood flow and stretching.

My Squat day is may hardest day, and I have to be careful stepping down from my bathroom or my legs will half-way give out.

I plan on implementing growth here after my competition. Going to try for those 3 or 4 non primary days as hard bodybuilding days.
    Let me clarify something, I don't go 7 days a week, 5 or 6 for me. If I went 7 days a week I'd never grow. I have to let my body rest some.
    If you have any questions please dont hesitate to e-mail me at: US-DS@protonmail.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Rep Points

I've started a new workout routine this week. 600 reps every workout. By the end of day 3, I was gassed. Needed a day off. I think I only actually hit the 600 reps on 1 of the first 3 days. On leg day I made it to 400 before I called it quits. So yeah, I'm beat when I get done working out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Rep Points

Now that Iím almost 50 I have backed off A bit on my workouts. I have made better gains with less. Lighter weights and higher reps.

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    513 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalJC View Post
    I've started a new workout routine this week. 600 reps every workout. By the end of day 3, I was gassed. Needed a day off. I think I only actually hit the 600 reps on 1 of the first 3 days. On leg day I made it to 400 before I called it quits. So yeah, I'm beat when I get done working out.
    Damn, that has to be brutal! I usually do 6 exercises for each body part, and 4-5 sets x 13-15 reps. That will get in the 325-350 reps range and I feel that's pretty tough.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,510 Posts
    Rep Points

I'm wiped out after training.

I train lower volume with more frequency though so I have to adjust certain things for certain days.

If you're only training a body part once a week, you should be miserable after you're done imo.

It all depends on your recovery time though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    719 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Foursome View Post
    About a month ago I started a higher intensity training regimen and without a lot of detail I used to leave the gym feeling good and still fresh.

With this new routine I am doing slightly higher volume to failure with a max of 60 second breaks between sets. Now when I walk out of gym I feel worked. Amount of weight drops quicker towards th end than before.

I now take one hour to train and 15 minutes more when I add ab workout.......plus 30 minutes LISS every day.

Just a curiosity question but what is the intensity of your training? Do you push it hard to the point you are wiped out or still fresh after training?
    Your new workout looks like more of an energy depletion routine which will leave you tired until your recovery is complete. Good for staying lean but not great for mass.

Intensity does not automatically equal exhaustion. Exhaustion is more related to volume.
    Intensity is "putting all you got" into a rep or set.
    As long as you are inflicting damage to the muscle fibers, you are setting the scene for hypertrophy.
    In theory this can happen with 1 set at maximum intensity.
    SCIENCE TO PRACTICE

Gym Derelict

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,168 Posts
    Rep Points

Someone answer me this.

How do you guys that train in the morning worth a shit for the rest of the day?

You do have jobs right?