• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Liter bike

Jdubfrost

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Anyone here ride a 1000 cc sport bike? I've had experience with a 600 and a little with a 750 but I wanted to get an experienced riders opinion on the jump from a 750 to a liter. Probably going to get a bike here in the next few months

It’s a big difference.. huge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

night and day but 600 was too small for me

If you are talking inline 4, the jump may or may not be significant depending on model. A Yamaha R1 is hugely different than a Katana 750. Now that I think of it, are there even any current production 750s that are taken seriously?

I have never had a sportbike under 900cc, going back to a 1985 Ninja 900. I know most people suggest getting really, really good/comfortable on a 600 before considering a step up, and rightly so. Today's 600 are ridiculously effective. Unless you just want more weight or simply love the feel of an extremely powerful motorcycle, I honestly think a current 600 is enough. Insurance is a huge reason. The price between a 600 policy and one for a liter bike can be breathtaking.

Unless you are capable of keeping your wits about you and not riding over your head (a tall order for most riders), EVERY top model, liter sports bike is ridiculously fast, powerful and quite honestly, too much for most riders on the street.

You asked a general question and the general answer is, yes, the difference between a liter bike and all others can be significant.

You stated you'd be buying a bike in the next few months. If you will be specific about what models, years, you are considering, I, and at least one other guy I know here on the forum an give you straight, specific answers.

Also let us know your usage, e.g. weekend canyon carving, daily commute, riding wheelies and drag racing on Friday night?

big difference, lots more torque. Are you an experienced rider, hope so or you will be in trouble.

big difference, lots more torque. Are you an experienced rider, hope so or you will be in trouble.

I also should have asked, by saying you are getting a bike, does that mean you don't have one at the moment or that you have one currently but intend to upgrade?

If you currently don't have a bike and haven't ridden in some time, don't buy a current liter bike. Seriously man.

What are you looking to get? I don’t think it can be said enough the power difference of a liter bike to a 750 or a 600... you should probably ride a 750 for a bit longer and maybe mod it a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lots of fun but you need some skills, twist that throttle a little too much and you are on your back.

I love mine, I have been riding and track days for over 20 years though

Anyone here ride a 1000 cc sport bike? I've had experience with a 600 and a little with a 750 but I wanted to get an experienced riders opinion on the jump from a 750 to a liter. Probably going to get a bike here in the next few months

I used to roadrace, as did at least one other member here, and honestly the biggest difference between a 600 and a 1000 is the weight and raw torque. Seriously. If you have good throttle control you will be very happy with a liter bike, the first thing you'll notice is you can do a lot more in the lower RPM's.

And for God's sake wear the right gear man; I mean armored jacket, knee protection, riding boots, and a full face helmet.

IML Gear Cream!
There is not much difference in weight now with the newer bikes. Some are less than 50lbs difference

I used to roadrace, as did at least one other member here, and honestly the biggest difference between a 600 and a 1000 is the weight and raw torque. Seriously. If you have good throttle control you will be very happy with a liter bike, the first thing you'll notice is you can do a lot more in the lower RPM's.

And for God's sake wear the right gear man; I mean armored jacket, knee protection, riding boots, and a full face helmet.
that is what I've heard. I had a 600 a while ago and I've rode dirt bikes forever. I'm comfortable on a bike my fear is that I'll regret getting a 600 especially when I throw my wife on the back. I'm looking at the gsx r1000 but haven't fully decided yet.

If you are set on a liter bike, I suggest the current R1. You can get all the cool new stuff that keeps you out of trouble, like traction control. If I had traction control I wouldn't have crashed. Also wheelie control and I think electronically adjustable suspension.
All reall cool things to have.

I'm partial to the KTM SuperDuke 1290. You will never grow out of that bike. If you ever actually grow INTO it.
There is something so incredibly bad ass about a twin. I raced a SuperDuke 990 and although out classed most of the time, it was the most fun I've ever had on a bike. And I've been riding since I was 5.
The fit and finish quality is unparalleled.

Take the MSF advanced rider course AS SOON AS YOU GET THE BIKE!
Worth every penny. Totally legit program.

+1 on the current R1.

But if you have the means be sure to check out the Aprillia RSV4 or the BMW S1000RR.

S1000RR.....

Sent from my DEA work phone

Two of my favorites. The double R is super fast and easy to ride wheelies. I’d go for what you want and be careful either way. Two types of riders.......ones that have wrecked and those that will wreck. Practice safety.

LowT

Here you go. RR great ride through Colorado from Aspen to the 4 corners.

LowT

Attachments

• 7E915E16-DF49-4ACB-BA27-7F12E22E15E2.jpeg
    7E915E16-DF49-4ACB-BA27-7F12E22E15E2.jpeg
    683.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 85086F83-2B7B-4824-98B6-862ECCA6AA78.jpeg
    85086F83-2B7B-4824-98B6-862ECCA6AA78.jpeg
    763.8 KB · Views: 37
I owned a Gixxer 1000 for over a decade before I sold it and I swear to God it ran on Plutonium not gasoline.

Two of my favorites. The double R is super fast and easy to ride wheelies. I’d go for what you want and be careful either way. Two types of riders.......ones that have wrecked and those that will wreck. Practice safety.

LowT
Lol!
You can always tell in a bike thread where someone is from when you see references to wheelies. I was in Pascagoula, Mississippi for about six months in 1986 and owned a '85 900 Ninja which I rode out from San Diego.
All those local sport bike boys could wheelie their asses off but couldn't corner their bikes if their lives depended on it.
I still can't ride a wheelie. Not on purpose, anyway.

LowT, I grew up in Southern Ohio and there are plenty of good, knee dragging roads there. North of Columbus I bet there are plenty of "wheelie kings".
You do have a bitchin' race track though. And KTM has a "fly and ride" program where you can pay a few hundred bucks and spend the day ripping the track on an RC8. Pay a bit more for insurance and you can test torque and grip "no fault".

Lol!
You can always tell in a bike thread where someone is from when you see references to wheelies. I was in Pascagoula, Mississippi for about six months in 1986 and owned a '85 900 Ninja which I rode out from San Diego.
All those local sport bike boys could wheelie their asses off but couldn't corner their bikes if their lives depended on it.
I still can't ride a wheelie. Not on purpose, anyway.

LowT, I grew up in Southern Ohio and there are plenty of good, knee dragging roads there. North of Columbus I bet there are plenty of "wheelie kings".
You do have a bitchin' race track though. And KTM has a "fly and ride" program where you can pay a few hundred bucks and spend the day ripping the track on an RC8. Pay a bit more for insurance and you can test torque and grip "no fault".

Right on! Deals Gap NC and Chief Joseph highway Wyoming, some knee scrappers. Left the Harley at home when I went out West and took the RR. All my friends were on cruisers and want to swap bikes when the fun started on the switchbacks.

LowT

Get Shredded!
My last project

In my garage having fun.

Attachments

• B7F1665D-F6E9-4C7A-971C-AF2BCDBCB1C5.jpeg
    B7F1665D-F6E9-4C7A-971C-AF2BCDBCB1C5.jpeg
    910 KB · Views: 29
  • 720B8807-ADE5-4D05-959D-47D7A74A6DF2.jpeg
    720B8807-ADE5-4D05-959D-47D7A74A6DF2.jpeg
    972.8 KB · Views: 29
If your set on a large cc sport bike get a Yamaha R1, they are the only inline 4cyl that has a cross plane crankshaft vs strait plane. The torque curve shits on all others. And with a aftermarket exhaust you will stand out to everyone else.

If you can't ride a Ninja 300 at its limit, you will immediately be in over your head on any liter bike.
Unless you can be mindful and keep your wits about you.

If you are set on a liter bike, I suggest the current R1. You can get all the cool new stuff that keeps you out of trouble, like traction control. If I had traction control I wouldn't have crashed. Also wheelie control and I think electronically adjustable suspension.
All reall cool things to have.

I'm partial to the KTM SuperDuke 1290. You will never grow out of that bike. If you ever actually grow INTO it.
There is something so incredibly bad ass about a twin. I raced a SuperDuke 990 and although out classed most of the time, it was the most fun I've ever had on a bike. And I've been riding since I was 5.
The fit and finish quality is unparalleled.

Take the MSF advanced rider course AS SOON AS YOU GET THE BIKE!
Worth every penny. Totally legit program.
I was looking at the r1 and possibly the gsx 100r and I've looked into the riding modes and traction control and that makes me more comfortable. My boy races and rides an r6 and said if I'm not doing much freeway riding a 600 would be plenty plus I can always mod the gears and some other little changes.

I agree with your friend. I would never want anything less than a liter bike now for the street. It's more enjoyable, less vibration, tons of low end torque, way more fitting for longer rides.
And... I am nowhere near out riding my 600rr on the track. No way do I need a liter bike or could use it to its full potential on a track.

Biggest mistake that I've made in recent history was walking into a Suzuki dealership dead set on buying a GSX-R1000 and walking out with a Boulevard M109R. Still kicking myself because now I'm stuck with the Boulevard. I've tried selling it on several different occasions over the past couple years. No one wants it and I refuse to take a beating on the price so it just sits in my garage.

Back