What can we do to prevent silent killer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Rep Points

What can we do to prevent silent killer?

As bodybuilders we are so consumed with the way we look in the mirror and make judgement calls on what is working best by how we see our body performing and changing.

However on the flip side we often don't see little changes that we are doing to our bodies internally which may not have a positive reflection on our general health. I am talking about, changes in the heart muscle specifically the left ventricle, changes to the lining of our blood vessels etc. I know that we can run blood work and that will give us an idea of how we are doing internally. A friend of mine recently had blood work done and was able to determine she was having a major heart condition or heart attack. However, you have to really know what to read or look to determine this. Stroke is another major issue of concern.

When I first really got serious in bodybuilding I was a member of elite fitness back in the late 90s early 2000s and I had a met a diet guru. He was getting me in really great shape with adjusting my diet and cycle. I was amazed that this person on the other side of the coast in the US was able to get me in such great shape. I worked with him for a couple years on my diet and he taught me a lot. Long story short, he died at age 37 I believe of a heart condition. Some of you might know him Chris Janusz he went by the name swolecat on the boards. I was in my 20s then, but I am now 42 so its concerning.

What can we do to prevent these unwarented silent side effects that can have life or death consequences.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    511 Posts
    Rep Points

Sub'd.

One thing I've noticed in the studies is that left ventricular hypertrophy can have many causes and simply being a hardcore athlete or weightlifter is a contributor. Is that the primary cause around here? Or is it AAS? If a combo (likely) what's the breakdown between them? More questions I haven't seen nailed down in the science...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    Rep Points

Good topic, and I have absolutely nothing to contribute. Kind of scary but we all know the risks getting into this game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    657 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosen1Speaks View Post
    As bodybuilders we are so consumed with the way we look in the mirror and make judgement calls on what is working best by how we see our body performing and changing.

However on the flip side we often don't see little changes that we are doing to our bodies internally which may not have a positive reflection on our general health. I am talking about, changes in the heart muscle specifically the left ventricle, changes to the lining of our blood vessels etc. I know that we can run blood work and that will give us an idea of how we are doing internally. A friend of mine recently had blood work done and was able to determine she was having a major heart condition or heart attack. However, you have to really know what to read or look to determine this. Stroke is another major issue of concern.

When I first really got serious in bodybuilding I was a member of elite fitness back in the late 90s early 2000s and I had a met a diet guru. He was getting me in really great shape with adjusting my diet and cycle. I was amazed that this person on the other side of the coast in the US was able to get me in such great shape. I worked with him for a couple years on my diet and he taught me a lot. Long story short, he died at age 37 I believe of a heart condition. Some of you might know him Chris Janusz he went by the name swolecat on the boards. I was in my 20s then, but I am now 42 so its concerning.

What can we do to prevent these unwarented silent side effects that can have life or death consequences.
    Swolecat was one of my fellow moderators on the "GotFina" board. One year after I became one of the mods of that board, the board went belly up, allegedly due to the owner passing away in a tragic car accident. I lost contact with Swolecat and the rest of the guys on that board when the board was shut down. I had no idea that Chris ("Swolecat") passed away. That guy was in great shape, muscle wise anyway. He kinda looked like a taller version of our own bc123 on here.

Sorry for the digression.... this a topic of interest to me, (cardiac and circulatory health I mean) since both of my parents were heart patients when they were alive, and to my knowledge, heart disease is the number one killer here in the USA as it is without the use of AAS's. So I'm sure that adding gear to the mix should cause us more concern. I wish there was more specific info about this topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    657 Posts
    Rep Points

On a more postive and constructive note: I like to think that cardio exercise is a helpful preventative to serious heart conditions, although I know that cardio isn't a cure-all either. I guy who used to work with me, who was a long distance runner and who ran the track at our work place during his lunch break every day, died of a hert attack right in the work place after he just got done with his daily jogging routine. He was 45 yrs old when that occured. he as not overweight at all, didn't use steroids, and didn't drink or smoke. I don't know what his diet was like though, but everyone at work was shocked and amazed when he passed away since he was an avid jogger.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,293 Posts
    Rep Points

Just had a complete sonogram done of my heart, everything looked good accept my MVP still there, hasn't gotten any worse since I started back to AAS use four years ago, in fact they thought it had gotten better. I think one of the biggest things is keeping your blood pressure in check.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    Rep Points

Cruise longer then you blast, stay away from the lucrative doses for an extended period of time, donate blood and keep bp in check. All things I can think of that can't hurt to help your health out

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,293 Posts
    Rep Points

.High blood pressure, or hypertension, is a dangerous condition that affects approximately 30 percent of Americans, causing up to 60,000 deaths per year. High blood pressure is often called “the silent killer” because it typically has no symptoms until after it has done significant damage to the heart and arteries

Always Hungry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Rep Points

Stop being lazy and do some cardio. Pretty simple really. Eat a heart healthy diet. (CRP based diet mostly) Focus on anti-inflammatory foods.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    657 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by REHH View Post
    Just had a complete sonogram done of my heart, everything looked good accept my MVP still there, hasn't gotten any worse since I started back to AAS use four years ago, in fact they thought it had gotten better. I think one of the biggest things is keeping your blood pressure in check.
    Sorry, but I'm not always up to date on alll the abbreviations used around here, but what is "MVP"???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    636 Posts
    Rep Points

Probably gear abuse..

Have you ever read about andreas munzer? Dude was the leanest to ever step on stage, but that came with the ultimate price unfortunately

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,293 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Deck View Post
    Sorry, but I'm not always up to date on alll the abbreviations used around here, but what is "MVP"???
    Mytrial valve prolapse, leaking valve. I was born with it, prevented me from playing​ sports. When my heart rate gets high enough it's like I'm having an asthma attack and I can't breathe

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,293 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Lokthan View Post
    Probably gear abuse..

Have you ever read about andreas munzer? Dude was the leanest to ever step on stage, but that came with the ultimate price unfortunately

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
    His death was partially to blame from excessive use of diuretics but he also had cirrhosis of the liver

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosen1Speaks View Post

Honestly, it's something you have to accept. Be as careful as possible, monitor yourself, use low doses. But nothing will ever change the fact that we are putting super doses of hormones in our bodies that aren't supposed to be there. You can minimize the damage but I don't think it can be eliminated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    657 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by REHH View Post
    he also had cirrhosis of the liver
    Sorry if this sounds like an ignorant question, but can't AAS use cause that just like alcohol can? No sarcasm here, (sincere question).