Anyone just weak on a particular lift no matter what you do??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Anyone just weak on a particular lift no matter what you do??

Mine is benching or inclines, I suck at it I'm just weak, period. Even at my biggest in the late 90's when I was like 210 at 5'6'' I could only bench 365 for maybe 4. I know it has a lot to do with the way your muscles insert, I had friends that could bang out 315 like nothing. I used to squat a ridiculous amount around 650 for a Good 8-10 but my bench continues to suck even after I start training again after a long layoff. Thing is logically I know weight means absolutely nothing unless youre a powerlifter, as long as you go to failure it makes no difference. But it still gets in my head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Rep Points

Well 365 for 4 is a ton of weight, rest assured you benched more than 99.9% of the population, so that has to feel good. I think we all have areas that are lacking. Mine is shoulders/military press. And really, i rarely ever go heavier than 315 on bench press, and 405 on squats anymore. Going super heavy and risking an injury just isn't worth it for me.

Have a buddy who cares nothing for how much weight he pushes around. Guy does alot of pause reps, and tempo reps with light/moderate weight. He's natural, in way better shape than most of the dudes on this board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by BallsMahoney View Post
    Well 365 for 4 is a ton of weight, rest assured you benched more than 99.9% of the population, so that has to feel good. I think we all have areas that are lacking. Mine is shoulders/military press. And really, i rarely ever go heavier than 315 on bench press, and 405 on squats anymore. Going super heavy and risking an injury just isn't worth it for me.

Have a buddy who cares nothing for how much weight he pushes around. Guy does alot of pause reps, and tempo reps with light/moderate weight. He's natural, in way better shape than most of the dudes on this board.
    I know 365 is not a small amount of weight but in context of how big I was at the time and compared to my other lifts it was really weak. Now, starting again after a long layoff I still can't even hit 225

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Rep Points

Bench, DL, cleans and pretty much any pressing was a strength of mine...Squating was not...not that it was horrific but in the scope of 3 meet lifts it lacked..

Bench had alot to do with technique and tricks of the trade then DL or Squats..due to its the only supported lift of the big 3 lifts ..the kind of bench you press on matters a lot..example is taking HS powerlifters to a gym with world class benches designed for that lift..teaching them to wedge there upper back...elbows in tucked with a wider grip..wrist not bent...foot placement etc etc .

Most chain gyms or even small chain gyms have horrible hard narrow bench pads among other things..
    All information given is for educational purposes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Rep Points

Bench press also. But rest assure yours to me is pretty damn good. I am 5' 11" 220# and have never benced that much weight in my life. 315 was max for me and that was 1 rep max. I stick with 225 for reps but I am not really into strenght training. I am just into physique training

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Rep Points

Genetics. Ever see the guy who isn't very big, but he's squatting reps of 405? Everyone is weak at something, and ridiculously strong at other lifts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Rep Points

I am not very strong at all on any lift. I could prob bench 225 for a few good reps
    but I don't ever even go that high

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,271 Posts
    Rep Points

Weak at Bench and shoulders presses... Bad rotators whole life just messes up pressing strength. At age 50, I dont really care though... Just trying to stay injury free...
    ~
    [[[[------------------]]]]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Rep Points

side lateral raises with the dumbells or cables i get burnt out really fast no matter the weight for some reason. Also some times flat bench..dumbell bench no problem but flat bench for some reason

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

luckily you can get to pro level size without ever going over 3 plates on bench. But ya my bench/chest fucking sucks. I used to be alot stronger on it a few years ago, despite the fact i have like 30lbs more muscle now and my chest is bigger now, but im still weaker then when my chest was smaller and i had 30lbs less muscle. go figure. I know strength and size have very little correlation, but im alot weaker then i used to be, id think just being so much bigger now id atleast be close to as strong as i used to be. But my back is stupid strong, i was deadlifting 405 my first 10 months lifting and i started lifting at 125lbs, got 405 for reps at 165lbs. Not crazy impressive but the time frame was, i started out deadlifting like 95lbs for 5 and 10 months later i was pulling 405 for 5. Due to a back injury i dont do deads anymore but all my other back exercises are strong. Everytime i take some time off from the gym and come back i lose all my chest strength and my back is still as strong as before i took the break, but my numbers on bench and shit are literally pathetic. I have really long arms, so that puts me at a disadvantage for bench, but was great for deads. Got crazy stretch marks on my lats and none on my chest or where chest ties into my delts. id welcome some there. Maybe after this bulk ill be moving some decent weight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Rep Points

I'm also pretty weak on chest. I remember when I first started lifting, I was struggling with a 45 on each side. Now I bang out 455 clean. All the way to chest. It is just so weak though. I wish I could do more for my incline.

I like the posts on here to disguised with modesty
    SteroidsFax VIP
    High Quality compounds
    Stellar customer service
    Unique VIP program
    Discrete shipping

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Rep Points

Squats! Idk why I walk on my legs everyday and hit them hard at least 1x a month!! I fucking hate legs max squat is 485 I blame being tall but in reality I neglect the hell out of my legs. All my leg days turn into shoulder day for some reason I can't get into doing them. I can rep the shit out of 405 good quality squat but anything over that it's one or two maybe 3 reps and I'm shaking like a bitch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

650# squat for 8-10 reps I call BULLSHIT unless you got quadslikerobb Maybe you call bending your knees a squat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by s2h View Post
    Bench had alot to do with technique and tricks of the trade then DL or Squats..due to its the only supported lift of the big 3 lifts ..the kind of bench you press on matters a lot..example is taking HS powerlifters to a gym with world class benches designed for that lift..teaching them to wedge there upper back...elbows in tucked with a wider grip..wrist not bent...foot placement etc etc.
    Amen to that!!! That was some of the best education I got years ago. If anyone who wants a bigger bench is NOT doing these things...practice at it and you will be surprised. Lay on the bench, try to touch your shoulder blades together, this will stick out your chest at the same time. Elbows in! Not parallel to the bar like most guys you see benching. And plant your feet. You should be using your feet to help drive through the press.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Rep Points

I squat about 720 for reps. I typically warm up with three plates and knock out 2 sets of 20 before I really get to working out. It is just my weak incline that is killing me. Like I said, if only I could get my strength up past my measly 455. You mad Riverghost?
    SteroidsFax VIP
    High Quality compounds
    Stellar customer service
    Unique VIP program
    Discrete shipping