• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Smith Machine

atmosfearless

Made in America
Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Ok. So a little background. When I was 16, I was involved in a bad car accident. I fractured several vertebrae in my spine. Long story short, I was a amateur kick boxer, which I can no longer do, and wasn't sure what kind of physical activity Id ever be able to do again. Ive been back in the gym 5-6 days a week for the past 4 years now (I am 31 now) and I miss doing squats.

I have attempted them and I am terrified of twisting my back the wrong way and re injuring myself.

Now my question. Is the smith machine for squats completely gay thing to do? Or should I just use a regular squat rack and start really light?

Thoughts? Opinions? I love training legs and absolutely hate not doing any squats whatsoever, so Im doing one or the other.

How do body weight squats feel? And then how do squats with just the bar feel? There's no shame in trying to better yourself.

Its not that they don't feel fine, I can do a lot more weights, I work on legs quite a bit, I am just worried that once I get a bunch of weight on the bar, if I accidently twist my back with a lot of weight on the bar, I will re injure myself. I feel like perhaps on the smith, since the movement is controlled, I cant get off balance and twist my back...

Smith machine is Gay but you have to do what you have to do.

talk to your doctor man...in the mean time go ahead and use the smith.

Does your gym have a leverage squat machine? I use that when my back is blown out (until it heals) then back to regular squats.

Attachments

• squat-mach.JPG
    squat-mach.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 19
Bro why are you worried about what people think......anyone tgat bashes smith machine either (a) doesnt know shit or (b) is just going along with the "bro's" who prolly dont lift.

If it helps you and especially ehile you have a medical reason to take that shit slow and steady why do you give a fuck?

Im a bigger dude standing at 5'11" and 240-250lbs depending on what i ate the prior day. And i eould rarely ever do barbell squats for afew medical reasons.

Point blank dont be a pussy and care about what people think of you. And i say it with as much love and respect as homosexually possible.

IML Gear Cream!
Use it. Another tool in your toolbox. Fuck what anyone thinks or says. This Summer when your in your shorts and tank, those same people who gave you shit or stared at you funny will only wish they looked like you.

Take it from another car accident survivor whose had 6-7 surgeries. The last thing you want is to twerk your back. Keep doing whatever it takes.

Keep hitting it.

LowT

Unless someone is paying your gym dues their opinion doesnt matter

Smith has its place for sure. Legs can be built with smith squats, leg press, lunges, deads no problem

My gym doesn't even have a squat rack only smith leg press and some goofy squat machine.

Is the smith machine for squats completely gay thing to do?
It's only gay if you're squatting directly onto some other dude's dick. But if that's your thing, whatever.

Don't let the asshats tell you to avoid the smith machine, it's safer and definitely a better idea for your situation.

Don't personally like them but have used them from time to time. Sometimes you have to do what you can do.

Does your gym have a leverage squat machine? I use that when my back is blown out (until it heals) then back to regular squats.

This

It's only gay if you use a spotter

Definitely this.

Haha 1st ur funny.

It was funny.

This

Smith has its place for sure. Legs can be built with smith squats, leg press, lunges, deads no problem

This.

Dexter "The Blade" Jackson only does leg press. He's a genetic freak though and 46 by the way...

It's only gay if you're squatting directly onto some other dude's dick. But if that's your thing, whatever.

Yep

Smith machine is great for this, I did deads on a smith machine and it took a lot of stress off my back, but with squats and deads, when u start adding real heavy weights it don't matter what ur on you'll fuck ur back, ll the weight is sitting on your spine and the weight compresses your disks, I myself am doing low to moderate weights with highers reps

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Back