• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Sick of this obamacare bs

Get Shredded!
You're living in the wrong country. You'd be better off in China or Russia. Both a mighty conservative. Then you wouldn't have to cry yourself to sleep every night about how you save the universe with your tax dollar.

I think some better examples would be actual failed states. China and Russia have come a long way since their doctrinaire communist days. China is a raging totalitarian semi-corrupt capitalist paradise, and Russia has gone to a tottering totalitarian fully-corrupt kleptocracy, but neither are failed states. They provide most of the amenities of modern societies -- clean water, sewers, roads, education, police, fire, courts, etc. 90% of what they do is the same as anywhere else in the First World. We make a big deal out of the differences since they're more interesting.

Better examples for our case would be Somalia (previously mentioned), Chechnya, Guatemala... perhaps Aghanistan and Iraq in many areas. What you'll notice is that long-term destructive civil wars are the usual cause. Guatemala is an exception -- an oligarchy with such terrible income distribution issues and corruption among every level of law creation and enforcement that 98% of murders go unsolved, often un-investigated. Vigilantism is rampant -- understandable if you have no other options. Opportunity is non-existent but for the richest elites. What all these countries have in common is Might Makes Right, with the law and law enforcement as a distant afterthought. Your sister or your wife gets raped and murdered, body dumped in a ditch on the edge of town, witnesses say it was a gang of men in uniform probably the police... and there's nothing you can do. If you have no might, you're not right. Humanity reduced to its darkest origins.

And providing food and water, stipends for clothing, regulating housing - all the crap that progressives and liberals think the USG should be doing here. Shit that this country didn't have in its heyday when we were truly a superpower.

When were we "truly a superpower" and what are we now?

We didn't become a dominant military superpower until the end of WWII when all other competition was crippled or obliterated with the exception of the USSR. That was 1945. By then Roosevelt had already put in place the New Deal by more than a decade. Social security, massive jobs programs, aid programs to poor families with dependent children... etc etc. Tax rates on the rich as high as 91%, not to be lowered again until JFK in the 60's. And unions were surging in power, peaking in the 50's. Everything the Conservatives hate. The result? Economic boom and The Middle Class.

So I'm confused about this "heyday" when we were a superpower and didn't have any of this "shit". What's the time frame you have in mind?

And regarding being "truly a superpower"... we're now more of one than we ever were, at least militarily. Our defense budget is more than the next 13 countries combined, or something like that (it keeps changing). We have nearly a dozen *carrier fleets* that allow us to bully just about anyone on the planet. No other country has more than one operable full-size aircraft carrier at any given time. And many of those are in NATO anyway so they aren't competitors. We're waiting for China to catch up but that'll take at least 15-20 years.

And if you think the FDA is doing you any favors, well...you are so beyond naieve its gone past funny and into straight sad.

This is a little dated, but feel free to look up Francis Kelsey and the thalidomide saga. FDA isn't doing you any favors? I don't want to defend all their dysfunctions, particularly in recent decades when big moneyed business interests have corrupted the organization in similar fashion to Congress, but they do serve a valuable function sometimes.

If any of the things I mentioned are new information, I have to wonder about your news sources.

Guillotine said:
I'm done with this topic - nobody is ever going to change someone else's mind, so this is nothing but a huge waste of time.

Yeah you said something nearly identical in another posting. I took it as more of a warning of your own mindset rather than a complaint about others -- ironic or maybe intentional, doesn't matter which. It's too bad. You seem educated and articulate but extraordinarily closed-minded. In another post you said there was no "new data" to talk about. This is the mark of a zealot, a fanatic. You know all the facts you need to know already, astonishingly (you must have an IQ of 38,000), making you impervious to new ideas or reasoning.

Conservatives always tout freedom and the constitution, but in reality they hate liberty and choice when others disagree with them.

I am somewhat of a conservative, but more of a libertarian, really. I found your quote interesting. The difference between those on the right (conservative, libertarian) and those on the left (liberal, progressive) is that when it comes to disagreement, those on the left always find a way to FORCE the issue. It is like the entire philosophy upon which your politics is based.

Gun control. I want to carry a gun. You don't. Fine. Don't. Oh, no, that won't do. The Progressive wants new gun control laws to force the issue. My disagreement leaves the progressive free to do what he wants. The progressive's disagreement sends me to jail.

Obamacare. We disagree. Your solution is to force me (and the whole country) to participate in your experiment.

There is very little "liberty and choice" for progressives when it comes to disagreement. You are whining because we posted on an internet forum that our premiums went up (mine tripled in three years!), but underlying every political decision of the progressive is force.

Yeah, I think you are free to have your opinion. I just wish you progressives would stop using the ballot box to force your opinions upon me. It's like government force is all you understand.

Back