• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Smith machine bench press vs regular bench press

johnjohn

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I've always been old school nothing but the cold steel working out under the garage few months ago I joined one of these fancy gyms I started recently using the smith machine and hell I kinda like it but I've read were its also a killer or the devil looking for some feed back keep in mind I'm not replacing the steel for the smith machine just thinking about adding in the routine

Like you said, it is not replacing free weights. It is another tool, and a way to add some variety to your workout.

If you're getting injuries from flat bench you're doing it wrong. Smith Machine is a shitty machine for primary lifts. It doesn't train your stabilizers which only further creates chance of injury. Stationary lunges, long hold shrugs, glute bridges, and maybe rows are about the only thing it's good for in "variety". And all of those are better without the SM. And another thing, I've never seen a high end professional coach actually utilize it.

we got a rack like a Smith but there's also horizontal bars as well as the perpendicular ones you could damn near curl with this machine their perfect foe me and no weight assistance except the bar Balance. other than that its what I got and if you are hardcore you will utilize whatever it takes

caveman72 using not abusing

I will toss it in occassionally. I see a functional use for it and have no problems with the device until you tturn into one of those dudes that go to it first thing and find a way to do every lift utilizing it. I find it works well for overhead presses and incline presses

I've thrown it in to the mix I suffer from a lot of shoulder pain and when I'm having a bad day I use it more on those days seems to help

I've thrown it in to the mix I suffer from a lot of shoulder pain and when I'm having a bad day I use it more on those days seems to help

Beef up your rear delts. Don't flare when you do pressing movements. Should help a lot with the pain

If you're getting injuries from flat bench you're doing it wrong. Smith Machine is a shitty machine for primary lifts. It doesn't train your stabilizers which only further creates chance of injury. Stationary lunges, long hold shrugs, glute bridges, and maybe rows are about the only thing it's good for in "variety". And all of those are better without the SM. And another thing, I've never seen a high end professional coach actually utilize it.

Boom:clapping:

If it feels good use it. We are all different, its another tool and or option. I use it a lot for just about every body part. The reason old school lifters didnt use it is because it wasnt perfected like it is today. And yes im an old school lifter.

IML Gear Cream!
The SMITH MACHINE, other lifters can't believe the amount of stress it can impose on a muscle. Just like any other movement or piece of equipment, u must hone ur skill!

Different techniques can be implemented to make every tool in ur arsenal more effective, but then again as always, if ur techinque/setup is off, so will be everything else.

Casca

The Green Machine

I have arthritis in my rotary cups some times worse than others use to get those cortisone shots in them but that shit only helps so much so I will be using the Smith machine on those bad days I can already tell it doesn't flair up as bad when I use it so will be throwing it in a Lil more

I use smith for shrugs and military press as i like the balance it offers.

smith is theonly option at my gym...after a year of using it for bench and other things i went to a friends house and was flwt benching and couldnt stabilize the bar...lmfao...i was all over the place till i got use to it...weight felt way heavier to...

That kind of thinking that the Smith Machine sucks and causes more injury is total BS . Don't know about any high end coaches you guys know but Haney Rambod ,Phil's coach uses it and Jay Cutler and Dennis Wolf to name a few use it a lot . Hell Jay even does squats on the Smith Mach ! Oh my did I really say that ?! All machines are just another form of a barbell . Some are great , some not so good . For the OP don't even know why you're doing flat bench press anymore especially with RTC issues . I learned and observed very early in my carreer in BBing that after say 35 VERY few guys even did flats anymore . There are far better pec exercises for that and you'll just wear out your shoulders or tear a pec . Free bar exercises are harder in general and use more stabilizer muscles . In certain situations the advantage of the Smith is exactly that . You don't have to use as many auxiliary muscles and you can use more weight and really concentrate on the squeeze of the muscle more with out having to worry about balance or the mechanics of the movement . If you don't have a good spotter it is also very good . I personally don't like flat bench presses on the Smith but I only do flats with dbs anymore anyway . But for Inclines , seated shoulder press , shrugs , lunges or sometimes squats I love it .

I'll use it as a tool with all other equipment. I personally don't us it as a base for workouts, but it's great for drop sets and repping out with no spotter. Intend to use the smith on close grip Tricep press too

I believe I'm probably going to cut back a lot of the heavy weight on the flat bench I'm fixing to be 39 and I think I'm at the age were I would rather look like I can bench 400 than do it lol

I believe I'm probably going to cut back a lot of the heavy weight on the flat bench I'm fixing to be 39 and I think I'm at the age were I would rather look like I can bench 400 than do it lol
Brother that's so me, that I could have posted it. Lol, agree totally

After numerous shoulder and elbow issues, I only do DB incline/flat bench, HS incline, flyes, and machine flyes. Haven't missed a beat. Dropping BB flat is the best move I've made in years.

Charles glass will tell you dB movements, hammer, and smith is what he recommends for chest exercises.

Get Shredded!
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most.../why_i_love_the_smith_machine

I'll leave this here.
The SM has no place in my training regime. I've had seminars with Chad Smith and a few of my friends have been to Brandon Lilly's. If you're healthy and know how to bench correctly I would avoid it. But if that's too late then yeah, it has its place.
Everyone hurts their shoulders from flared out pressing and not focusing on rear-delts early on in their training years. I can OHP 335 seated with zero pain. Just gotta be safe with it. You can't train like a behemoth of a man whose on permanent HGH, peps, and grams of gear. Following the training regime of a Mr.O is silly, especially if you don't even plan on stepping on stage, train for functionality if that's the case.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most.../why_i_love_the_smith_machine

I'll leave this here.
The SM has no place in my training regime. I've had seminars with Chad Smith and a few of my friends have been to Brandon Lilly's. If you're healthy and know how to bench correctly I would avoid it. But if that's too late then yeah, it has its place.
Everyone hurts their shoulders from flared out pressing and not focusing on rear-delts early on in their training years. I can OHP 335 seated with zero pain. Just gotta be safe with it. You can't train like a behemoth of a man whose on permanent HGH, peps, and grams of gear. Following the training regime of a Mr.O is silly, especially if you don't even plan on stepping on stage, train for functionality if that's the case.
Holler at me in ten years. If you feel the same, then hats off....

Some great reads here, being new to this sport ecpecially at my Tender age of (lets just say Im retired from the Marine Corp) this machine has helped me own form issues, guess it kinda forces it on you, Im no scientist but I am sure you get less true resistance with all those pulleys and fulcrum points and slide rails (not sure though) but the machine can help noobs out like me a lot for form issues!!! Have a happy Thanksgiving my friends!!!

Live and learn . I came up with LOTS of big time Powerlifters . My brother in law was the east coast champ 3 years running in the unlimited class . The big boys ! They are all in their 60's now . My brother in law is practically crippled now with most major joints replaced and back surgery . He and I used to go back and forth for years about BBing and Powerlifting . He told me last year he wished he had never done it . These guys take a risk ,. they know it . Even with BBing you will suffer serious wear in your joints over time . It is un avoidable even with perfect muscle balance and form . The trick is to evolve with age and to train smarter . In general you get the best effect from free weight work . We have learned this over time . Machines are an adjunct to free weight and are a wonderful way to incorporate variety and just a different way to do the same thing - overload muscle forcing growth in strength and size . As you age one must make some changes to training to be able to continue to do what we love . It's ok . It's not a sellout , it's smart ! If a movement hurts you have to stop and analyze what is causing it . Do you have an injury ? Am I doing it wrong and causing the pain ? Is there a muscle balance issue ? These and more can all be the cause of pain while training . If it can't be corrected maybe you'll just have to drop that exercise . It will happen if you do this long enough . And as far as training as a Mr O champ does . I find nothing wrong with modeling my training after one of these guys . I just have to tweak it to my level that's all . Maybe less volume , certainly less weight . But it still serves as a good frame work for a training regimen . I am sorry for my tone in my earlier post . I have not been feeling well lately and it has made me frustrated and angry . I will try and be my wonderful self more , lol That or my wife will slap me !

The smith machine always seems to get a bad rap on these online forums. Most say it is due to it's higher potential for injury, some just feel it's a "sissy machine" and less hardcore than a traditional barbell movement. I personally don't know anyone that's injured themselves from working in a smith machine. If you do, then you aren't setting yourself up correctly to begin with. I always set myself up and perform a few reps of the movement with no weight on the bar making sure I'm positioned properly before putting any load on my muscles and joints. I've used the smith machine off and on since I started training and will continue to use it as I feel necessary. As others have mentioned, it's another tool in the gym to add variety to your training and shouldn't be frowned upon.

to get those cortisone shots in them but that shit only helps so much

There in lies the crus of your problem. Cortisone is an athletes WORST enemy. Sure it helps with the pain caused by inflammation but if you have so much inflammation you need cortisone then you have bigger underlying issues and masking them with cortisone just allows you to ignore the pain and continue to destroy your joints.

Inflammation is a NECESSARY component of the natural healing cascade, you get rid of it you get rid of healing!

I have found that most people with chronic issues that cant be linked to form are lacking in critical nutrients needed by the body to heal the tissue in question.

Live and learn . I came up with LOTS of big time Powerlifters . My brother in law was the east coast champ 3 years running in the unlimited class . The big boys ! They are all in their 60's now . My brother in law is practically crippled now with most major joints replaced and back surgery . He and I used to go back and forth for years about BBing and Powerlifting . He told me last year he wished he had never done it . These guys take a risk ,. they know it . Even with BBing you will suffer serious wear in your joints over time . It is un avoidable even with perfect muscle balance and form . The trick is to evolve with age and to train smarter . In general you get the best effect from free weight work . We have learned this over time . Machines are an adjunct to free weight and are a wonderful way to incorporate variety and just a different way to do the same thing - overload muscle forcing growth in strength and size . As you age one must make some changes to training to be able to continue to do what we love . It's ok . It's not a sellout , it's smart ! If a movement hurts you have to stop and analyze what is causing it . Do you have an injury ? Am I doing it wrong and causing the pain ? Is there a muscle balance issue ? These and more can all be the cause of pain while training . If it can't be corrected maybe you'll just have to drop that exercise . It will happen if you do this long enough . And as far as training as a Mr O champ does . I find nothing wrong with modeling my training after one of these guys . I just have to tweak it to my level that's all . Maybe less volume , certainly less weight . But it still serves as a good frame work for a training regimen . I am sorry for my tone in my earlier post . I have not been feeling well lately and it has made me frustrated and angry . I will try and be my wonderful self more , lol That or my wife will slap me !

well said. After years of playing football i no longer have a real interest in free weights other than using dumbbells. knowing my body as well as i do the stress heavy barbell movements puts on my body is incredible. so i opt for safety these days and the smith machine does a good job of it. i no longer lift for power but for the pump. the smith machine lets me force out those extra reps to get that. i am bigger than i ever as hen i played ball and am definitely more defined as a result. i applaud those that still love free weights but as you get more experienced you will do what works best for you. we are all built differently and what works for one might not work for the next.

Thanks

That kind of thinking that the Smith Machine sucks and causes more injury is total BS . Don't know about any high end coaches you guys know but Haney Rambod ,Phil's coach uses it and Jay Cutler and Dennis Wolf to name a few use it a lot . Hell Jay even does squats on the Smith Mach ! Oh my did I really say that ?! All machines are just another form of a barbell . Some are great , some not so good . For the OP don't even know why you're doing flat bench press anymore especially with RTC issues . I learned and observed very early in my carreer in BBing that after say 35 VERY few guys even did flats anymore . There are far better pec exercises for that and you'll just wear out your shoulders or tear a pec . Free bar exercises are harder in general and use more stabilizer muscles . In certain situations the advantage of the Smith is exactly that . You don't have to use as many auxiliary muscles and you can use more weight and really concentrate on the squeeze of the muscle more with out having to worry about balance or the mechanics of the movement . If you don't have a good spotter it is also very good . I personally don't like flat bench presses on the Smith but I only do flats with dbs anymore anyway . But for Inclines , seated shoulder press , shrugs , lunges or sometimes squats I love it .

Man, did you hit the nail on the head....I'm an old fart, that machine I use regulary!

Another great explanation from my main man lou.....

Back