• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Keto diet

JFuerte

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
OK, Food for thought < ----- no pun intended. I have been doing what i have thought to be a Keto diet ( high fat, high protein & low carb). What i have just read that when doing a Keto diet protein should be moderate ( lower than 1 gram per body weight ). Whats your take on this and if you have any personal experience please share, thanks.

When I gave it a shot I kept my protein at 1 gram per pound at a minimum. I had great results. Don't think it'll affect. The low carb sending you into ketosis is more of the point. Maybe the more seasoned bros can throw in on it.

Sent from the bottom of a protein jug.

I think they are trying to get at 1g per lbm pound, not 1g per pound. Someone whos 250lbs 30%bf doesnt necessarially need 250g protein. When in keto, your body feeds off dietary fat, which should be your primary fuel intake source from my understanding.

Sent using Tapatren, the next gen in aas boarding. Avatar is Bailey Jay...

My training partner and I did an almost identical keto diet with similar starting points and stayed on it for a month. Both of us around 220, 5'11'' and between 15 and 20%. We didn't fully understand the keto methodology before jumping in, so our diets were 3000 calories with 50% protein, 45% fat and 5% (sometimes less) carbs. It was insane. I lost 10 lbs in the first two weeks, then the results tapered off to a an additional 4-5 lbs over the next two weeks. My strength stayed up, but I was dropping a few reps in the 8+ range. My partner lost 3-5 lbs total, looked bigger, harder and leaner and got stronger. He's a few years younger than me, but not enough to make a crazy difference. I think it's totally dependent upon the person.

I've always appeared to be more carb sensitive. When I get my carbs over 300, I get bigger and stronger. When he's over 250 grams of carbs, he loses definition in a week. I think the most important part of any diet is finding how macros change your body and manipulate it from there. Personally, I'll never do keto again, I found my method for lean gaining and my method for shedding fat. Even though our body types are very similar, we saw dramatic differences from the same plan.

Hope that helped.

I think they are trying to get at 1g per lbm pound, not 1g per pound. Someone whos 250lbs 30%bf doesnt necessarially need 250g protein. When in keto, your body feeds off dietary fat, which should be your primary fuel intake source from my understanding.

Sent using Tapatren, the next gen in aas boarding. Avatar is Bailey Jay...

I think u dead on with this one. Do u know if there is a place in which I can figure out the numbers?

STAY STRONG

My training partner and I did an almost identical keto diet with similar starting points and stayed on it for a month. Both of us around 220, 5'11'' and between 15 and 20%. We didn't fully understand the keto methodology before jumping in, so our diets were 3000 calories with 50% protein, 45% fat and 5% (sometimes less) carbs. It was insane. I lost 10 lbs in the first two weeks, then the results tapered off to a an additional 4-5 lbs over the next two weeks. My strength stayed up, but I was dropping a few reps in the 8+ range. My partner lost 3-5 lbs total, looked bigger, harder and leaner and got stronger. He's a few years younger than me, but not enough to make a crazy difference. I think it's totally dependent upon the person.

I've always appeared to be more carb sensitive. When I get my carbs over 300, I get bigger and stronger. When he's over 250 grams of carbs, he loses definition in a week. I think the most important part of any diet is finding how macros change your body and manipulate it from there. Personally, I'll never do keto again, I found my method for lean gaining and my method for shedding fat. Even though our body types are very similar, we saw dramatic differences from the same plan.

Hope that helped.

Thanks for the break down and can u show me your ways :).

STAY STRONG

I always did dave palumbos keto. Protein was 1.5x lbm and fat was .5x lbm. I got down to 4% bf and my refeeds got crazy big towards the end.

Here is a link to one of the best posts I've ever seen about executing the CKD diet. At the bottom you can download the zip files which contains a rocking spreadsheet which does all the calculation's for you. You need to open it in Excel. I have used this method for my last 3 cuts, and it works great. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=784518

Keto is great for preserving muscles while cutting.

Keto diet ( high fat, high protein & low carb)

Would not call that a Keto, I think you need to do some more research about it otherwise you may be disappointed.

To me Keto is High Fat, Moderate Protein, Trace amount of carbs.
For example:
F:200g
P:120g
C:5g
Totals to around 2400kcal, in reality its less as ketones have lower caloric value than fat. 7 kcal as opposed 9 kcal per 1g.

The link I provided is for the CKD diet which is based around the Body Opus diet by Dan Duchaine, and later the Anabolic Diet by Dr Mauro DiPasquale. They are based around 60-65% fats, 30-35% protein, and 2-5% carbs, with a weekly carb up consisting of 450-600 grams of carbs. For me that translated to about 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight and only 20-25 grams a day of carbs. There have been many variations of these diets.

BodyOpus is a an awesome keto bible. The diet described works great for those who have access to glycogen disposal agents. Others should stick to reefed every 8 days.
For sure.... what exactly are glycogen disposal agents? Not sure what you mean.

Here is a link to one of the best posts I've ever seen about executing the CKD diet. At the bottom you can download the zip files which contains a rocking spreadsheet which does all the calculation's for you. You need to open it in Excel. I have used this method for my last 3 cuts, and it works great. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=784518

I was hoping u will charm in. I know u do this and I have been meaning to pick your brain. Damn I just noticed I don't have excel :( . Thanks JD

STAY STRONG

The link I provided is for the CKD diet which is based around the Body Opus diet by Dan Duchaine, and later the Anabolic Diet by Dr Mauro DiPasquale. They are based around 60-65% fats, 30-35% protein, and 2-5% carbs, with a weekly carb up consisting of 450-600 grams of carbs. For me that translated to about 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight and only 20-25 grams a day of carbs. There have been many variations of these diets.

This is the range that I am around, but I have hit a rock. I think either my numbers are off or I need to lower the protien

STAY STRONG

I meant glucose disposal agents.
As described in BodyOpus, glucose disposal agents help achieve Ketosis quicker, hence reefed every 5 days as opposed to every 7 -10.
Okay.... gotcha. Every 7 days worked for me. Planning a cut soon. You will probably be getting some PM's from me, if that's ok with you.

This is the range that I am around, but I have hit a rock. I think either my numbers are off or I need to lower the protien

STAY STRONG
What is the rock? No progress? That usually means too many calories. No matter what diet you use, it all comes down to calories in and calories out. Keto diets excel at holding muscle while shedding fat, but if the calorie deficit isn't enough after the initial water drop, you will stall.

What is the rock? No progress? That usually means too many calories. No matter what diet you use, it all comes down to calories in and calories out. Keto diets excel at holding muscle while shedding fat, but if the calorie deficit isn't enough after the initial water drop, you will stall.

Rock, I hit a wall, standstill. My calories are 2100 a day. I think what's messing me up are the ratios. I believe in 2 hi with the protein.

STAY STRONG

OK, Food for thought < ----- no pun intended. I have been doing what i have thought to be a Keto diet ( high fat, high protein & low carb). What i have just read that when doing a Keto diet protein should be moderate ( lower than 1 gram per body weight ). Whats your take on this and if you have any personal experience please share, thanks.
Keto with high protein intake is counter productive to what you need. As others have said, moderate protein works best as many proteins we consume are glucogenic. Proteins can fall into several different categories in terms of physiological function. Glucogenic and ketogenic proteins are available in all protein sources. If you consume a high protein diet with a high fat diet, chance are your body is using the abundance of protein to convert to glucose for energy (which is exactly what you don't want). Just food for thought as others have already helped you out.:clapping:

Brother all info is welcomed and makes sense what u stated. I'm working out the numbers as we speak. thanks again

Keto with high protein intake is counter productive to what you need. As others have said, moderate protein works best as many proteins we consume are glucogenic. Proteins can fall into several different categories in terms of physiological function. Glucogenic and ketogenic proteins are available in all protein sources. If you consume a high protein diet with a high fat diet, chance are your body is using the abundance of protein to convert to glucose for energy (which is exactly what you don't want). Just food for thought as others have already helped you out.:clapping:

I have been checking out all the methods that u guys have posted ( thanks, you bro's are great ). i have something thats killing me, how can i get my real wieght if while on AAS u gain some water weight, even if on an AI? Example when i start my cycle i was 217 ( roughly) today i weighed myself and i am at 230 even. Mind you i am looking leaner and i have lost some weight as my pants are filling looser. Sorry guys i am not the brightest of the bunch and don't have the all the answers but i am willing to learn and i train like an animal.

I have been checking out all the methods that u guys have posted ( thanks, you bro's are great ). i have something thats killing me, how can i get my real wieght if while on AAS u gain some water weight, even if on an AI? Example when i start my cycle i was 217 ( roughly) today i weighed myself and i am at 230 even. Mind you i am looking leaner and i have lost some weight as my pants are filling looser. Sorry guys i am not the brightest of the bunch and don't have the all the answers but i am willing to learn and i train like an animal.

Don't apologize, you are asking the same questions I have! I am 240 lbs and been cutting for ever. I am at 2100 and stuck. For the first time, I am considering lowering protein (from 350) and raising my fat (from 80).
currently fats are olive oil and either almonds or walnuts everyday. Fish and 93% ground beef 1 day each. What about adding MCT oil? Coconut oil? Just looking for variety.

Last edited:
Some good info here and some very outdated things. Very tiered to write something long.

Just kinda shocked at the misconstrued truths in some people's opinions of Keto and what Ketosis really is.

Don't over complicate it, keto is easy.

I'll see if I can elaborate more later, but overall there is some good advice here and some very outdated.