• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

German Volume Training: Does it Increase Strength or Just Size?

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
German Volume Training Exercises
It is vitally important that powerful exercises that effectively challenge the body and lead to significant adaptation are chosen for this program.

Ideally, the exercises should recruit a large number of motor units. This is both for superset A and B.

The greater number of motor units recruited, the greater the force generated by the muscles (2).

For example, selecting exercises such as the back squat is highly recommended due to the challenges associated with it and the large number of motor units recruited.

Exercises such as the goblet squat would be seen as less than effective as it is much less demanding than the back squat.

Another example would be to select a french press over a tricep pulldown as it recruits more muscle and therefore places a greater demand on the body.

German Volume Training Workout
There are number of GVT programs in existence that may be used to achieve an array of different goals.

The following program comes directly from Charles Poliquin. The primary focus for this program is full body muscle building.

Day 1 – Chest and Back
Exercise Sets x Reps Tempo Rest (s)
A1 – Neutral Grip Decline Dumbbell Press 10 x 10 4 – 0 – 2 90
A2 – Chin-Ups 10 x 10 4 – 0 – 2 90
B1 – Incline Dumbbell Flyes 3 x 10 – 12 3 – 0 – 2 60
B2 – One Arm Dumbbell Rows 3 x 10 – 12 3 – 0 – 2 60

Day 2 – Legs and Abs
A1 – Back Squats 10 x 10 4 – 0 – 2 90
A2 – Lying Leg Curls 10 x 10 4 – 0 – 2 90
B1 – Low Cable Pull Ins * 3 x 15 – 20 2 – 0 – 2 60
B2 – One Arm Dumbbell Rows 3 x 15 – 20 2 – 0 – 2 60

*For Cable Pull Ins – Use a weightlifting belt and attach it to the low pulley of a cable machine. From there, lie flat on your back and place the feet inside the belt. From there, drive the knees to the chest and return in a controlled motion.

Day 3
REST

Day 4 – Arms and Shoulders
A1 – Parallel Bar Dips 10 x 10 4 0 1 0 90
A2 – Incline Hammer Curls 10 x 10 4 0 1 0 90
B1 – Bent Over Dumbbell Lateral Raises * 3 x 10 – 12 2 0 X 0 60
B2 – Seated Dumbbell Lateral Raises 3 x 10 – 12 2 0 X 0 60

*For Bent Over Dumbbell Lateral Raises – sit on the edge of a bench and tip the torso forward so that you are bent over. Drive the dumbbells out to the sides and look to bring the dumbbells up to approximately in line with the ears.

Day 5
REST

Next Steps
On completion of the 30 days you may find that you have made great progress and are enjoying the program.

If so, it is possible to move straight into a 15-day follow up program to help you continue to build on your results. Details of this program can be found below:

Day 1 – Chest and Back
A1 – Incline Dumbbell Press 10 x 6 5 0 1 0 90
A2 – Wide Grip Pull Ups 10 x 6 5 0 1 0 90
B1 – Dumbbell Flyes 3 x 6 3 0 1 0 60
B2 – EZ Bar Bent Over Rows 3 x 6 3 0 1 0 60

Day 2 – Legs and Abs
A1 – Bent Knee Deadlifts 10 x 6 5 0 X 0 90
A2 – Seated Leg Curls 10 x 6 5 0 1 0 90
B1 – Twisting Crunches 3 x 12 – 15 3 0 3 0 60
B2 – Standing Calf Raises 3 x 12 – 15 3 0 3 0 60

Day 3
REST

Day 4 – Arms and Shoulders
A1 – Parallel Bar Dips 10 x 6 3 2 X 0 90
A2 – Incline Hammer Curls 10 x 10 4 0 1 0 90
B1 – Bent Over Dumbbell Lateral Raises * 3 x 10 – 12 2 0 X 0 60
B2 – Seated Dumbbell Lateral Raises 3 x 10 – 12 2 0 X 0 60

Day 5
REST

Does German Volume Training Build Strength?
GVT is primarily a hypertrophy inducing program. After all, studies have indicated that there is a relationship between high volume and substantial muscle growth (3).

But can GVT prove to be a beneficial program for building strength as well as size? Theoretically, could a powerlifter use this program and improve their performance?

GVT may indeed be effective for the powerlifter, most specifically for those who are looking to move up a weight class.

The program will allow them to pack on muscle size thus facilitating an increase in body weight and moving them into the above weight class.

Poliquin recommends a strength specific version of the GVT program which involves a 10 x 6 cycle, followed up with cluster training or a 10 x 3 cycle.

He emphasizes that, providing the weight is constant throughout all ten sets, it is fine to move in and out of periodization.

However, if adopting this program, it would be wise to schedule it into the off-season and use it to firstly develop conditioning before moving onto strength.

If you prefer to stick with the original ten sets of ten reps, that is also fine and it will undoubtedly yield results.

Sets of ten by ten will ultimately push you to the next level and develop maximal strength, work capacity and muscle mass.

German Volume Training Considerations
GVT is a surefire way to get bigger however, Poliquin believes that GVT is more about how fit you are as an individual, rather than how strong or big you are.

He points out that the improvements you make are like a sliding scale dictated by the number of reps you perform which will invariably determine which muscle characteristic is developed.

When it comes to the number of reps used, a lower number of reps will predominantly increase strength capacity but fail to develop muscle size optimally.

Conversely, a higher rep range may more effectively build muscle mass but fail to develop strength in the same way that heavy, low reps will (4).

One thing that is abundantly clear about GVT is that this type of training is not for the faint of heart.

The fact that it is recommended that this program is only completed once or twice per year should be ample warning that this program requires both physical and mental strength.

If you decide to adopt a GVT program, firstly, ensure that you have enough time to dedicate to training as the workouts are long and gruelling.

Secondly, it’s vital that you look to prioritize nutrition and sleep throughout the duration of this program. Both are key recovery components and will ensure that you last the distance and train with real intensity (5, 6).

With that being said, these things should not serve as a deterrent as there is no denying that GVT is a powerful and efficacious strength program that will force the body to adapt and improve.

Final Word
While GVT is an excellent example of an effective hypertrophy program, it may also be of benefit for those who wish to develop their strength and work capacities.

By the time you have completed the 30 day cycle, providing you have been consistent with both training and nutrition, your muscles will have significantly increased in both strength and size.

For more news and updates, follow Generation Iron on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

References:

1-Kreher, Jeffrey B.; Schwartz, Jennifer B. (2012-3). “Overtraining Syndrome”. Sports Health. 4 (2): 128–138. doi:10.1177/1941738111434406. ISSN 1941-7381. PMC 3435910. PMID 23016079.

2-Williams, S. Mark; McNamara, James O.; LaMantia, Anthony-Samuel; Katz, Lawrence C.; Fitzpatrick, David; Augustine, George J.; Purves, Dale (2001). “The Regulation of Muscle Force”. Neuroscience. 2nd edition.

3-SCHOENFELD, BRAD J.; CONTRERAS, BRET; KRIEGER, JAMES; GRGIC, JOZO; DELCASTILLO, KENNETH; BELLIARD, RAMON; ALTO, ANDREW (2019-1). “Resistance Training Volume Enhances Muscle Hypertrophy but Not Strength in Trained Men”. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 51 (1): 94–103. doi:10.1249/MSS.0000000000001764. ISSN 0195-9131. PMC 6303131. PMID 30153194.

4-Schoenfeld, Brad J.; Grgic, Jozo; Ogborn, Dan; Krieger, James W. (2017-12). “Strength and Hypertrophy Adaptations Between Low- vs. High-Load Resistance Training: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis”. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 31 (12): 3508–3523. doi:10.1519/JSC.0000000000002200. ISSN 1533-4287. PMID 28834797.

5-Knowles, Olivia E.; Drinkwater, Eric J.; Urwin, Charles S.; Lamon, Séverine; Aisbett, Brad (2018-9). “Inadequate sleep and muscle strength: Implications for resistance training”. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 21 (9): 959–968. doi:10.1016/j.jsams.2018.01.012. ISSN 1878-1861. PMID 29422383.

6-Burke, L. M. (1997-3). “Nutrition for post-exercise recovery”. Australian Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 29 (1): 3–10. ISSN 0813-6289. PMID 9127682.

Has anyone ever used this that was already well trained and actually gained anything?

Most guys here know I have use GVT, but it was early on in my life and it definitely was part of my foundation. YES, it helped me grow a lot of muscle. If you are at an advanced level, idk. I was at my beginning years of lifting (1-3yrs).

Max

My kid started seriously at age 12 under me. During his 14-15 year i put him on gvt for 6 months along with his 6 meals a day. He gained 70 lb over 10 mos. Yes eyeroll, seriously 70 lb.

I do something like it on cut cycles

My kid started seriously at age 12 under me. During his 14-15 year i put him on gvt for 6 months along with his 6 meals a day. He gained 70 lb over 10 mos. Yes eyeroll, seriously 70 lb.

Holy shizz! 70lbs! What a beast ! It definitely Max-imized his test/gh/Igf1/insulin levels, especially having papa for his Bodybuilding/Diet tips. The small meals (grazing) seemed to be a great fit for him. I bet you are super proud of him . I cannot wait to have a chance at making all my own little male and female clones (kids). He will be a bodybuilder/lifter for life now. I cannot (well I can) Imagine all the changes that went along with his massive transformation! I definitely had a blessed Jr/Sr High School life, helps when you have at least 4-7 siblings before and during your schools ! . I was on creatine on my 11th birthday and Started serious lifting programs at age 12. It was and has been the best decision I ever made permanent. I started a new High School in 10th grade from another area and nobody knew me and, it was about 87% Latin,African American Mixed Race/and 13% Caucasian. I was in some AP classes so everyone thought I was a Senior or (for some reason) a foreign exchange student. It was a massive School 2800-3200 kids. Anyway , here is a pic of me at 15yrs old! A Senior Female (gorgeous Latina,looked 25 yrs old!)asked me to Prom and I of course said, YES!! Nobody really knew what grade I was in because of being knew and a huge school. I was bodybuilding hardcore & grew so much that nothing fit me at the Malls and Shops . So I had to buy a massively oversized Sharkskin Suit (she was wearing Glimmer Silver) because literally nothing fit! Luckily my lil sis and mom are Martha F***ing Stewart and Coco Chanel in one ! I went to the Big and Tall store and got something that would at least pull over my arms/back and legs that had some style and they de constructed it! Added material from Michaels and cut Lengths , by hand with with sewing machine, handwork, and CriCut machine . I was over 200lbs @ 5’9” so they made it fit the best they could . Max Scored, made the Touchdown , and the Limo and everything was covered by her and her school friends . 15yrs old, big ole smile cuz i was getting laid for sure! I will try an find out pics so you can see my Date! (You will shit bricks when you see this Chica! OMG! Stacked like Sofia Vergara, Booty & Beauty (high school was good to me).
bde0e5afb6b7fa7a4180f1b1f3a63757.plist

I’ll look for pics .

Max

Found one.
48e949ce6af8a6a7a9e2a2bb08e54205.plist

Keep in mind , she looked so old to me & 15yrs old ! Lol. I found pics of her now and she got thick! Gotta get em young! Limo

Max

Holy shizz! 70lbs! What a beast ! It definitely Max-imized his test/gh/Igf1/insulin levels, especially having papa for his Bodybuilding/Diet tips. The small meals (grazing) seemed to be a great fit for him. I bet you are super proud of him . I cannot wait to have a chance at making all my own little male and female clones (kids). He will be a bodybuilder/lifter for life now. I cannot (well I can) Imagine all the changes that went along with his massive transformation! I definitely had a blessed Jr/Sr High School life, helps when you have at least 4-7 siblings before and during your schools ! . I was on creatine on my 11th birthday and Started serious lifting programs at age 12. It was and has been the best decision I ever made permanent. I started a new High School in 10th grade from another area and nobody knew me and, it was about 87% Latin,African American Mixed Race/and 13% Caucasian. I was in some AP classes so everyone thought I was a Senior or (for some reason) a foreign exchange student. It was a massive School 2800-3200 kids. Anyway , here is a pic of me at 15yrs old! A Senior Female (gorgeous Latina,looked 25 yrs old!)asked me to Prom and I of course said, YES!! Nobody really knew what grade I was in because of being knew and a huge school. I was bodybuilding hardcore & grew so much that nothing fit me at the Malls and Shops . So I had to buy a massively oversized Sharkskin Suit (she was wearing Glimmer Silver) because literally nothing fit! Luckily my lil sis and mom are Martha F***ing Stewart and Coco Chanel in one ! I went to the Big and Tall store and got something that would at least pull over my arms/back and legs that had some style and they de constructed it! Added material from Michaels and cut Lengths , by hand with with sewing machine, handwork, and CriCut machine . I was over 200lbs @ 5’9” so they made it fit the best they could . Max Scored, made the Touchdown , and the Limo and everything was covered by her and her school friends . 15yrs old, big ole smile cuz i was getting laid for sure! I will try an find out pics so you can see my Date! (You will shit bricks when you see this Chica! OMG! Stacked like Sofia Vergara, Booty & Beauty (high school was good to me).
bde0e5afb6b7fa7a4180f1b1f3a63757.plist

I’ll look for pics .

Max

Hitting a growth spurt didn't hurt either. He's now 20. 6'5" 310 down from 335 when he was a D1 OT. He left football when it became a woke clown show along with a pretty major hip surgery. He's been pursing a career in strongman but due to a hip dislocation (freak thing long story) He's taking 2 years to devote to bodybuilding.

Hitting a growth spurt didn't hurt either. He's now 20. 6'5" 310 down from 335 when he was a D1 OT. He left football when it became a woke clown show along with a pretty major hip surgery. He's been pursing a career in strongman but due to a hip dislocation (freak thing long story) He's taking 2 years to devote to bodybuilding.

That is great that he recovered and can dedicate the time for strongman competitions! They are my favorite !

Max

Back