• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Any truth to this?

MonsterMaker

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I can see how it would engage more lats but Does lifting the other way in the video engage more of another muscle?

347f0ea109a12534b1c87427100205d9.jpg

7250cc9018922e69b954409ea57c5421.jpg

Yea….

so one of my buddies has a bad back and when he performs that seated cable row movement he leans back like that and I asked why and he said “so I can pull more weight without my back hurting as bad”

he has a crappy back.

and he’s kinda dumb

so yes… the answer is yes.

I can see how it would engage more lats but Does lifting the other way in the video engage more of another muscle?

347f0ea109a12534b1c87427100205d9.jpg

7250cc9018922e69b954409ea57c5421.jpg

I think as you lean back you will engage more traps as some shoulders as it sorta simulates an upright row.

For most, as you increase the weight...the form can become compromised in an effort to lift more. You sacrifice form, which IMO can create injuries.

Mostly younger dudes who are in competition with other guys at the gym and let their egos take over do this shit.

I tend to lean back due to my lower back issues when doing seated cable rows...can try leaning forward a bit to see what happens or if I get any pain.

See that guy cranking his neck. That shit catches up to you big time. Learning to relax as much as you can the muscles you aren’t targeting goes a long way to longevity.

I sit straight up. I let the weight pull my arms forward for a full stretch while keeping my back straight pause then pull it back. I see guys all the time treat it like a hyperextension back exercise and wonder what muscles other than lower back gets worked

I did the seated cable rows and tested with both leaning back and then did another set with leaning forward with the weight stack set at 120lbs. The result: I felt more of it in my lats leaning forward and surprisingly got very little pain in my lower back leaning forward. Sitting up straight was more neutral in my opinion.

So leaning forward slightly is the better way...

Last edited:
I got a kick looking through stick boy's Instagram account. Yeah, I'm gonna do the exact opposite of what this guy does, lol

Back