• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 🩺Muscle Gelz® HUMANOGEN® - Powered by Ibutamoren® Increases Growth Hormone! (Transdermal - No Injecting!)🏥

Mountain Dog Program

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Have any of you run any programs written by John Meadows? I just started Creeping Death 2. It’s pretty intense. Pros? Cons?

I’ve ran task master, gamma bomb,the devourer, and onslaught. They’re all really good programs. John was a genius at programming a routine. He had exercise selection and execution down to a science. There are no cons over all.
where I had issues with mt dog training is I’m not great at making myself hold back on sets so I would get destroyed. I also don’t do well with exercise selection constantly changing. Everytime I ran a MD routine I came out of it with significant strength loss and lean tissue with it. These aren’t the routines fault but my own. I try to look at everything objectively.

I enjoyed it but, I had similar issues as bft.

Muscular demolition and creeping death were my favorites.

Gamma bomb was pretty good as well as colossus but, the first two I mentioned were the ones I saw the best results with.

I’ve ran task master, gamma bomb,the devourer, and onslaught. They’re all really good programs. John was a genius at programming a routine. He had exercise selection and execution down to a science. There are no cons over all.
where I had issues with mt dog training is I’m not great at making myself hold back on sets so I would get destroyed. I also don’t do well with exercise selection constantly changing. Everytime I ran a MD routine I came out of it with significant strength loss and lean tissue with it. These aren’t the routines fault but my own. I try to look at everything objectively.
Tissue is what we after but I really like being strong in the 1-3 range too so I can see why you didn't like that part of it

Tissue is what we after but I really like being strong in the 1-3 range too so I can see why you didn't like that part of it
It’s like I would read rpe of 7or8 but I really couldn’t gauge it for shit and I’d just keep pushing so what should’ve been 3-4 failure sets ended up being 20 or so plus whatever intensifier John had programmed in lol. My dumb ass would even do this on the pump days. I always have the thought of just one more rep. I’ve just trained to failure on working sets for so long rpe and rir really work for me.

It’s like I would read rpe of 7or8 but I really couldn’t gauge it for shit and I’d just keep pushing so what should’ve been 3-4 failure sets ended up being 20 or so plus whatever intensifier John had programmed in lol. My dumb ass would even do this on the pump days. I always have the thought of just one more rep. I’ve just trained to failure on working sets for so long rpe and rir really work for me.
I haven't really practiced either but if you know ur 1 RM you can get a pretty good idea of what 2 rir is with a given weight

I haven't really practiced either but if you know ur 1 RM you can get a pretty good idea of what 2 rir is with a given weight
That's why I preach the log book.

You find all your answers to reps in reserve after a few weeks of logging.

Usually, failure for most guys is 2 reps in reserve....... They're just nervous to get them or their mind is fucking with them.

Failure - you go down, you can't go back up. Anything more then that, it's not failure. Grinding out a rep without assistance, isn't failure.

Usually, failure for most guys is 2 reps in reserve....... They're just nervous to get them or their mind is fucking with them.

Failure - you go down, you can't go back up. Anything more then that, it's not failure. Grinding out a rep without assistance, isn't failure.
I'd be all over the place without my log book.

Absolutely. I’ve always kept a log book and I always train to failure. I push until i can’t get another rep and then on back off set I usually add an intensifier like rest pause, a drop set, window maker, or assisted reps.

I’ve run around 8-9 of John’s programs over the last 10 years. Until recently, MD style was pretty much all I’d known.
I actually used to work with the current lead trainer of MD for years and we were training partners most of that time. I’d met John several times and his character is what convinced me to train with that style for so long.

To be honest, I feel that’s got a lot to do with why I’ve seen minimal results during what would have been my prime for growth.
Like Monte and Bft, I never made much progress in terms of strength. It’s very far from a progressive overload system, most of them anyway. He does give you goals to hit and then break, but with the structure, you’re not likely to break through many lifts as would be necessary.
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve gone from 140lbs soft to 210 with a decent bf% in the last ten years. But honestly not nearly what I think would have been possible if I’d simply:

Kept a log book
Trained to failure
Sacrificed volume for intensity

I still have most of John’s programs and once in awhile I’ll throw a workout or two in because I do enjoy them. But I think his training is mostly geared for guys who have already added as much real mass as they can, the high level pros that need to fine tune and reduce risk of injury.

To add, I do agree that John’s programs were master class. I just found that I either a) felt I hadn’t trained hard enough, and ended up adding too many intensifiers. Or b) Was too much volume to actually push weights and increase progressive overload

I’ve never done the actual program but his Team Universe is really in depth. It goes through his entire prep from diet, cardio, how he’s feeling and how he did most workouts. It even explains why he makes certain changes.
his notes on page one says: 225lbs this morning. Woke up feeling small and weak. Very poor training session…
theres more to it but it’s just an example.
There’s a lot that can be learned from it beyond the training. I’ve read through it several times

I’ve never done the actual program but his Team Universe is really in depth. It goes through his entire prep from diet, cardio, how he’s feeling and how he did most workouts. It even explains why he makes certain changes.
his notes on page one says: 225lbs this morning. Woke up feeling small and weak. Very poor training session…
theres more to it but it’s just an example.
There’s a lot that can be learned from it beyond the training. I’ve read through it several times

Agreed. That’s definitely one of the better ones. He also has a training principles e-book and a MD diet book I’ve read through. That’s what originally introduced me to using intra workout as well as turned me into true nutrition. By far one of the most influential trainers of today.

Back