Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,559 Posts
    Rep Points

Most Prescribed Drugs in the USA

This graphic uses prescribed medicines data from the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, released in 2021 for the 2019 calendar year. It also uses supporting drug and health information from MedlinePlus.
    The most prescribed drug, atorvastatin (sold under brand Lipitor), was prescribed to 24.5 million people in the U.S. in 2019, or 7.5% of the population. It was one of many statin medications listed, which are used to prevent cardiovascular disease and treat abnormal lipid levels.
    In fact, a majority of the most prescribed drugs in the U.S. are used to treat high blood pressure or symptoms of it. Thatís because 108 million or nearly half of adults in the U.S. have hypertension or high blood pressure.

Other common prescriptions include antibiotics like amoxicillin and azithromycin, used to treat bacterial infections, as well as levothyroxine, which was used by 19.7 million Americans to treat thyroid hormone deficiency.
    Asthma medication albuterol (usually prescribed through an inhaler) rounded out the top five prescribed drugs with the most patients, followed closely by Type 2 diabetes medication glucophage.
    The Top Medical Conditions Treated by Prescription Drugs
    The prevalence of cardiovascular-related medication becomes clear when combining the total patients for each type of medication.
    The total number of patients with prescribed medication for blood pressure or cholesterol combined for 33% of the U.S. population.
    Compared to that, medication for pain or inflammation were the most frequent on the top 30 list with five occurrences, but were only prescribed to 13.6% of people. That includes hydrocodone (known by the brand name Vicodin) and tramadol (known by the brand name Ultram), two opioid medications.

Most of the top 30 prescribed medications for specific conditions saw patients total less than 6% of the U.S. population. They include thyroid issues, gastrointestinal conditions, and mental conditions treated by antidepressants (including panic disorder, anxiety disorders, and PTSD).
    But itís important to remember that some patients have multiple prescriptions for serious conditions with multiple symptoms, or comorbid conditionsówhen more than one disease or condition is present at the same time.
    Drug Spending in the U.S.
    A prescribed drugís total number of patients doesnít necessarily reflect how important it is, or how expensive it is for the end user. Levothyroxine is the fourth-most prescribed drug by total patients, but the second-most prescribed drug by total prescriptions with 102.6 million in 2019 at an average cost of $25.10 per prescription.

More specialized medication like fluticasone had significantly less total prescriptions with 27.9 million, but an average cost of $97.68 per prescription. Prices are influenced by a drugís demand, whether or not itís patented or available in generic form, and a countryís healthcare system. As far as OECD countries go, the U.S. ranks as the most costly almost across the board.
    Since the current rankings look at the U.S. pre-COVID, next yearís prescription data will be illuminating as to the state of American health (and healthcare).

Source:
    https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/ra...ribed-drugs-us

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    361 Posts
    Rep Points

Huh.. test didn't even make the list... SHOCKING!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,793 Posts
    Rep Points

Seven of the top ten can be controlled with diet before resorting to drugs. Pretty accurate testament to good ol ďMerica.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    299 Posts
    Rep Points

Great read brother excellent post I enjoyed reading this and its a shame that the pharmaceutical companies have so much power because they are regulated by the most corrupt govt organization the FDA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Rep Points

I came here to say what Cabo did... its a damn shame that most of this can be controlled with a proper diet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,370 Posts
    Rep Points

Thatís pretty crazy. I never realized how fat and lazy America has become. Donít get me wrong Iím on a ton of meds and have been my whole life but none of it is from poor diet and lack of exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachCabo View Post
    Seven of the top ten can be controlled with diet before resorting to drugs. Pretty accurate testament to good ol ďMerica.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,793 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AR-15 View Post
    Thatís pretty crazy. I never realized how fat and lazy America has become. Donít get me wrong Iím on a ton of meds and have been my whole life but none of it is from poor diet and lack of exercise.
    If itís any consolation, itís pretty bad here too. Not the laziness so much but certainly the diets. This is the only country I have been to where Coca-Cola is common at the breakfast table.
    Also the only place I have seen that 3L bottles are the most common size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,591 Posts
    Rep Points

No one now wants to bite the bullet and get dirty...