Working around low back injury

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Rep Points

Working around low back injury

Iíve been struggling with low back pain for a few years. Long story short from wrestling in high school to jumping straight into lifting without any knowledge years ago I ended up herniating a couple discs in my lumbar, not enough to merit surgery but enough to keep an eye on.

Iím usually pretty solid as far as caring for it but once in awhile Iíll tweak it. I havenít been able to do conventional deadlifts in years as that seems to be the number one aggravator. Rack pulls donít usually cause issues as long as Iím not doing them every week. Legs is hit or miss, the leg press at my gym is shit so I canít use it or itís an immediate flare up.

Any advice on things to do manage in order to still push heavy weights without high impact on the spine? Mainly looking for back thickness as I can do most legs without problem

Also I have started going to PT regularly so Iím not trying to outright ignore it; just donít want to hinder progress

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Rep Points

Weíre in the same boat with the bad lower back. I do a lot of chest supported work and reverse hypertensionís are the lower back movement Iíve done for a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bft84 View Post
    Weíre in the same boat with the bad lower back. I do a lot of chest supported work and reverse hypertensionís are the lower back movement Iíve done for a while.
    Do you typically add anything to reverse hypers as far as weight or bands?
    I know you do more low volume style which is what Iím aiming for. Seems like bent over rows was what triggered mine most recently

Carpet-Chewer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,153 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    I know you do more low volume style which is what Iím aiming for. Seems like bent over rows was what triggered mine most recently
    Cure your back pain
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    397 Posts
    Rep Points

I herniated three discs in my lower back and walked around in an "L" shape for a couple of weeks, While sitting on the couch pain med stupified I saw a commercial for the Teeter inversion table. I bought it, on my third time hanging upside down I felt a small pop in my back and when I got off the table I was upright and pain was diminished by at least 80%. I now get on it a couple times a week just to stay "stretched" out. It was like 300 but I have nothing but good things to say about it....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by reddog309 View Post
    I herniated three discs in my lower back and walked around in an "L" shape for a couple of weeks, While sitting on the couch pain med stupified I saw a commercial for the Teeter inversion table. I bought it, on my third time hanging upside down I felt a small pop in my back and when I got off the table I was upright and pain was diminished by at least 80%. I now get on it a couple times a week just to stay "stretched" out. It was like 300 but I have nothing but good things to say about it....
    I bought a table years ago. Best purchase ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Rep Points

Athlean-X has some good videos on stretches and exercises to help lower back pain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I too have been there. It should first go without saying that you need to avoid squats & deadlifts at this time. Perform shoulder press exercises on a seated bench with a back rest. Do not perform bent over rows, unless you perform the single arm dumbbell style, so that you can support you body with the other arm. There are several versions of High Row, Low Row, and Neutral Row machines out there with chest supports to take the stress off the low back. That way you can still go heavy for thickness, if you have access to them. I am also a PT. Your physical therapist should be able to provide you with specific exercises to strengthen the small spinal stabilizer muscles around the spine. You might also consider getting yourself a Teeter Hang Ups inversion table. I have one, and they work great to stretch out your spine and in crease the disc space. Hope this helps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    Oh yeah. Every movement with me is progressive over load. I stick to 2 sets of 15-20 with a 2 second pause at the top and a 3 second negative. I canít do anything bent over anymore. I donít even know the last time I even touched a straight bar. I also stretch like my life depends on it. I used to like banded hypers but havenít done them in a while. Iíll have days here and there where I go in and my back is aggravated or feeling weird and Iíll skip them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by reddog309 View Post
    they work and work well for most people but I canít use them because they can make slipped discs worse. Thatís one of the things that happened to me.
    Last edited by Bft84; 11-11-2021 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bft84 View Post
    Oh yeah. Every movement with me is progressive over load. I stick to 2 sets of 15-20 with a 2 second pause at the top and a 3 second negative. I canít do anything bent over anymore. I donít even know the last time I even touched a straight bar. I also stretch like my life depends on it. I used to like banded hypers but havenít done them in a while. Iíll have days here and there where I go in and my back is aggravated or feeling weird and Iíll skip them.
    Agreed; I cut out BB squats and deadís a few years ago. As much as I love them theyíre playing with fire.
    Iíll definitely add the weighted hypers into my rotation though. Iím just starting my 3rd round of DC so Iíll have to be smart when it comes to back thickness movements.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Rep Points

McGill Big 3. Won't take much time out of your day, low stress so it won't interfere with recovery, and I'd be surprised if it didn't make a noticeable difference for you. Have 3 herniated disc's and still squat and deadlift heavy weekly (not that I'm recommending you do so, just an addiction I don't plan to give up).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,591 Posts
    Rep Points

Risky with low back
    Acute turns into chronic Quick...be careful
    From me...with tons of Chronic pain...Deadlifts help but not heavy..

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

I'd say avoid deadlifts since they're very high risk, and focus more on dumbbell rows, pullups, and machine work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Rep Points

Iíve been seeing the Chiorpratior for 3 weeks now for my lower back. The pain goes from lower back to hip to knee. Canít seem to shake the hip and knee pain. I get spirits of relief but walking seems to aggravate it. Thinking about the inverter table?