• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Working around low back injury

Void

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I’ve been struggling with low back pain for a few years. Long story short from wrestling in high school to jumping straight into lifting without any knowledge years ago I ended up herniating a couple discs in my lumbar, not enough to merit surgery but enough to keep an eye on.

I’m usually pretty solid as far as caring for it but once in awhile I’ll tweak it. I haven’t been able to do conventional deadlifts in years as that seems to be the number one aggravator. Rack pulls don’t usually cause issues as long as I’m not doing them every week. Legs is hit or miss, the leg press at my gym is shit so I can’t use it or it’s an immediate flare up.

Any advice on things to do manage in order to still push heavy weights without high impact on the spine? Mainly looking for back thickness as I can do most legs without problem

Also I have started going to PT regularly so I’m not trying to outright ignore it; just don’t want to hinder progress

We’re in the same boat with the bad lower back. I do a lot of chest supported work and reverse hypertension’s are the lower back movement I’ve done for a while.

We’re in the same boat with the bad lower back. I do a lot of chest supported work and reverse hypertension’s are the lower back movement I’ve done for a while.

Do you typically add anything to reverse hypers as far as weight or bands?
I know you do more low volume style which is what I’m aiming for. Seems like bent over rows was what triggered mine most recently

I herniated three discs in my lower back and walked around in an "L" shape for a couple of weeks, While sitting on the couch pain med stupified I saw a commercial for the Teeter inversion table. I bought it, on my third time hanging upside down I felt a small pop in my back and when I got off the table I was upright and pain was diminished by at least 80%. I now get on it a couple times a week just to stay "stretched" out. It was like 300 but I have nothing but good things to say about it....:coffee:

I herniated three discs in my lower back and walked around in an "L" shape for a couple of weeks, While sitting on the couch pain med stupified I saw a commercial for the Teeter inversion table. I bought it, on my third time hanging upside down I felt a small pop in my back and when I got off the table I was upright and pain was diminished by at least 80%. I now get on it a couple times a week just to stay "stretched" out. It was like 300 but I have nothing but good things to say about it....:coffee:

I bought a table years ago. Best purchase ever.

Athlean-X has some good videos on stretches and exercises to help lower back pain

I too have been there. It should first go without saying that you need to avoid squats & deadlifts at this time. Perform shoulder press exercises on a seated bench with a back rest. Do not perform bent over rows, unless you perform the single arm dumbbell style, so that you can support you body with the other arm. There are several versions of High Row, Low Row, and Neutral Row machines out there with chest supports to take the stress off the low back. That way you can still go heavy for thickness, if you have access to them. I am also a PT. Your physical therapist should be able to provide you with specific exercises to strengthen the small spinal stabilizer muscles around the spine. You might also consider getting yourself a Teeter Hang Ups inversion table. I have one, and they work great to stretch out your spine and in crease the disc space. Hope this helps.

Do you typically add anything to reverse hypers as far as weight or bands?
I know you do more low volume style which is what I’m aiming for. Seems like bent over rows was what triggered mine most recently
Oh yeah. Every movement with me is progressive over load. I stick to 2 sets of 15-20 with a 2 second pause at the top and a 3 second negative. I can’t do anything bent over anymore. I don’t even know the last time I even touched a straight bar. I also stretch like my life depends on it. I used to like banded hypers but haven’t done them in a while. I’ll have days here and there where I go in and my back is aggravated or feeling weird and I’ll skip them.

they work and work well for most people but I can’t use them because they can make slipped discs worse. That’s one of the things that happened to me.

Last edited:
IML Gear Cream!
Oh yeah. Every movement with me is progressive over load. I stick to 2 sets of 15-20 with a 2 second pause at the top and a 3 second negative. I can’t do anything bent over anymore. I don’t even know the last time I even touched a straight bar. I also stretch like my life depends on it. I used to like banded hypers but haven’t done them in a while. I’ll have days here and there where I go in and my back is aggravated or feeling weird and I’ll skip them.

Agreed; I cut out BB squats and dead’s a few years ago. As much as I love them they’re playing with fire.
I’ll definitely add the weighted hypers into my rotation though. I’m just starting my 3rd round of DC so I’ll have to be smart when it comes to back thickness movements.

McGill Big 3. Won't take much time out of your day, low stress so it won't interfere with recovery, and I'd be surprised if it didn't make a noticeable difference for you. Have 3 herniated disc's and still squat and deadlift heavy weekly (not that I'm recommending you do so, just an addiction I don't plan to give up).

Risky with low back
Acute turns into chronic Quick...be careful
From me...with tons of Chronic pain...Deadlifts help but not heavy..

I'd say avoid deadlifts since they're very high risk, and focus more on dumbbell rows, pullups, and machine work.

I’ve been seeing the Chiorpratior for 3 weeks now for my lower back. The pain goes from lower back to hip to knee. Can’t seem to shake the hip and knee pain. I get spirits of relief but walking seems to aggravate it. Thinking about the inverter table?

I’ve been seeing the Chiorpratior for 3 weeks now for my lower back. The pain goes from lower back to hip to knee. Can’t seem to shake the hip and knee pain. I get spirits of relief but walking seems to aggravate it. Thinking about the inverter table?

I bought an inversion table years ago. Loved it for awhile but it’s been in storage since I moved into my new house, no space for it without it being in the way unfortunately

McGill Big 3. Won't take much time out of your day, low stress so it won't interfere with recovery, and I'd be surprised if it didn't make a noticeable difference for you. Have 3 herniated disc's and still squat and deadlift heavy weekly (not that I'm recommending you do so, just an addiction I don't plan to give up).
This is excellent advice. Stuart McGill is THE man when it comes to back injuries. There is an excellent book written by McGill and a powerlifter named Brian Carroll titled “The Gift of Injury.”

I’ve rehabilitated a previous powerlifting injury and my father was on the verge of surgery when I recommended the book to him. He is not a lifter, but is able to have an active lifestyle due to the recommendations in McGill’s book.

Back