• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Drinking Vs eating meals

Frankdoz

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
So I’ve been bulking snd I always have a hard time eating food. Is there a difference in nutrient absorption between eating vs drinking 150 instant oats , 50 G protein powder, 1 banana?

I always assumed consumption of proteins in any such way should be beneficial. If I was starving on an island and a jug of whey floated up. My body would put it to use...
But then again Monte asked me once in discussing a diet. "howany big guys do you know that drink their carbs?" so I was all like ehhh. Lol but I personally think protein is protein. Sure theres higher quality or lower. But if ur having issues on a bulk... Then start with quality foods. And supplement the rest of what u needed. Stomach size shouldn't determine your gains. Consumption and hard work should.

You are talking about consuming the exact same foods by drinking them vs eating them cooked.
There is a big difference between this and “drinking” the same calories via processed supplements such as maltodetrin, waxy maize, etc.
Food is always better.
I suspect consuming the foods you listed by drinking them, the only one not being cooked is the oats, would be exactly the same as eating them with the only exception being the oats are already partially broken down/digested during the cooking of them.

(How’s that for a run on sentence?)

Lol. Ya I’m just making sure taking slin pre breakfast I won’t g hypo by drinking my carbs a d protein

I used to LOVE drinking my supper.

Other than missing a few enzymes from saliva during chewing, not a ton. Those enzymes do help break down certain foods though. I highly doubt it would be enough you could see a difference on the scale though. I've literally had stretches where I drank protein shakes all day and ate one meal with the family and I still put on weight (good AND bad).

Lol. Ya I’m just making sure taking slin pre breakfast I won’t g hypo by drinking my carbs a d protein
Depends on the insulin I guess.

There’s going to be a difference in absorption but I believe it would be negligible as far as real world results if all calories and macros were equal. I could be wrong but I just honestly don’t see how it would make a difference.

Kiss your gains goodbye… you need to open and close your mouth at-least 5 times per bite or you get nothing from it… when you drink your macros they completely bypass your digestive track…..

Kiss your gains goodbye… you need to open and close your mouth at-least 5 times per bite or you get nothing from it… when you drink your macros they completely bypass your digestive track…..

I’ve read this about fluids just wasn’t sure if blended foods with liquids did the same .

I’ve read this about fluids just wasn’t sure if blended foods with liquids did the same .

Dude I’m totally fucking with you, if anything I would think blended/liquid nutrients are more bioavailable just because it’s already mechanically broken down, so less your body has to do… that’s just my own broscience though don’t quote me…

It bypasses all that and goes right to your local water treatment plant, doesn’t pass through your bowels…

Sorry, bro. I'm calling BS.

For example...when I do stretches of protein drinks as mentioned above, it turns my shits into literal bricks. Bricks! So what do I do? I add fiber to those shakes. Literally two things, shaken up and suspended in those magical liquid drinks that should supposedly bypass my digestive tract (according to your theory).

So how does *my* protein and fiber end up there, but not oats/protein/banana that the OP is talking about? Think about it. If you chew up your food and wash it down with a big ol' gulp of water, is it going to bypass your gut?

So I’ve been bulking snd I always have a hard time eating food. Is there a difference in nutrient absorption between eating vs drinking 150 instant oats , 50 G protein powder, 1 banana?
No.

The only variable that really comes into play is the action of chewing which releases digestive enzymes.

How much that will effect you? I doubt very much if any but, I always suggest guys "chew" even if it's just a plain protein shake.

With a whole food shake you'll chew up parts regardless.

Sorry, bro. I'm calling BS.

For example...when I do stretches of protein drinks as mentioned above, it turns my shits into literal bricks. Bricks! So what do I do? I add fiber to those shakes. Literally two things, shaken up and suspended in those magical liquid drinks that should supposedly bypass my digestive tract (according to your theory).

So how does *my* protein and fiber end up there, but not oats/protein/banana that the OP is talking about? Think about it. If you chew up your food and wash it down with a big ol' gulp of water, is it going to bypass your gut?

Lol

No.

The only variable that really comes into play is the action of chewing which releases digestive enzymes.

How much that will effect you? I doubt very much if any but, I always suggest guys "chew" even if it's just a plain protein shake.

That's interesting. The chew part. When I was a kid. A teacher tolde chewing gum is bad for the stomach as... When chewing your brain tells your body to prepare the stomach for food to enter and be destroyed. And shoots stomach acid around. With the lack of food entering. It damages the lining of the stomach leading to ulcers and what not.

That's interesting. The chew part. When I was a kid. A teacher tolde chewing gum is bad for the stomach as... When chewing your brain tells your body to prepare the stomach for food to enter and be destroyed. And shoots stomach acid around. With the lack of food entering. It damages the lining of the stomach leading to ulcers and what not.

She was half right. It does encourage the body to secrete juices...but not enough to cause serious damage. In before IBS victims say otherwise...I ain't talking about you all.

FWIW...I've chewed gum most of my life. I probably have 50 pieces a day (literally). Yeah, I got a problem. But stomach ulcers ain't one of them. Funny enough, I should have 4 boxes delivered today. It's important to get the sugar free.

Something else to consider for the solids vs liquids argument. I've literally seen guys complain that their "micronized creatine" wasn't micronized *enough*. That's right, they were bitching about a few microns. Microns. I guarantee your blender is not knocking your food particles down to microns. :banghead:

No.

What could I add for chewy

Enzymes that come into play for solids vs powdered probably play quite a role as well as your own microbiome. So complex but, solid meals & supplemental powders are both useful. I am a big believer in my post workout blend ; followed by a nice solid meal. Whatever helps you meet your goals. A lot of people have so many food/GI issues, allergies, sensitivities; it makes it very hard to give someone a plan. I usually have to customize it for the individual, but I do have my Shopping lists for sub types .

Max

Get Shredded!
i would keep it to only 1 liquid meal a day

i dont have a scientific explanation as to why but it just makes sense to me that you want to train your body to keep eating and breaking down real whole food meals instead of becoming dependent on liquids

ive also heard some top ifbb pro coaches say they limit liquid meals

i dont have a scientific explanation as to why but it just makes sense to me that you want to train your body to keep eating and breaking down real whole food meals instead of becoming dependent on liquids

You still digest the liquid.....

So if you eat too fast and not chew your food a lot is nutrient absorption worst ?

So if you eat too fast and not chew your food a lot is nutrient absorption worst ?
Honestly I wouldn’t even worry about it. Guys drive themselves nuts worrying about minutia. Just get your protein and calories in. Id actually recommend to guys who have a hard time eating to drink most of their meals. Blaine Summer drinks all his meals and he’s not lacking for size or strength. He doesn’t chew anything. He weighs 370lbs and is strong as a horse. I couldn’t imagine how much actual lean tissue that guy holds or what he’d look like if he got lean.
it’s not like your body says “oh, these calories are liquid so they’re not going to be used properly.”

Last edited:

Do you think if you got the same macro and micro nutrient amounts from liquid versus solid food that you it would have any real effect on your physique?
i could see it not being great for a guy with a big appetite as he would end up consuming more calories because it’s not as filling.

Last edited:
I just can’t eat 5 k calories a day for 16 weeks anymore . I’ve tried eq , mk677 , ghrp6 nothing helps I think it’s the meds I take like ssris etc

I just can’t eat 5 k calories a day for 16 weeks anymore . I’ve tried eq , mk677 , ghrp6 nothing helps I think it’s the meds I take like ssris etc
Have you tried lowering your fats and upping your carbs? Also focus more on fast digesting food like Rice Krispies or cream of rice, white bread, muffins, sherbet. Hell even things like twizzlers. Also more palatable foods.

Do you think if you got the same macro and micro nutrient amounts from liquid versus solid food that you it would have any real effect on your physique?
i could see it not being great for a guy with a big appetite as he would end up consuming more calories because it’s not as filling.

i think if its all liquid its just gonna digest really fast and pass through your body and your just gonna shit out most of it, i feel like having whole food that digest slower gives your body time to really breakdown the foods and absorb all the nutrients

im no scientist but logically it makes sense to me and all of the biggest freaks i know eat mostly whole food meals not liquids so thats all the evidence i need personally lol

Back