• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Lagging chest

Capthowdy87

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
So I’m just gonna throw this out there , I think my chest is garbage . A weak point over shadowed by my shoulders . Right now I’m training it twice a week. Day 1 is heavy dumbbells to failure . Incline and flat. Some type of chest press machine, finish off with pec deck flys . Day 2 heavy incline bench to failure . Heavy flat bench to failure . Machine presses , finish off with cable flys . I focus on going heavy on the compound movements . I will normally do drop sets as well stripping the weight and slowing down the reps untill I just can’t push any more . For isolation stuff I go for a moderate weight I can control go slow and focus on stretching and squeezing the muscle. This will also be higher rep 15-20 reps . I have always felt like this was a problem point for me and I could really never get it to develop compared to the rest of my body .

I would skip pec deck and do heavy flyes. Flat one day, incline the next. I haven’t seen anyone do flyes correctly in a long time and with all the elbow bending they look like DB presses. “Grab a tree trunk” we used to say, and hold that position down and up. I don’t squeeze at the top rather focus on deep eccentric contractions.
I started doing incline stuff first, always and that changed my chest these last two years. Four exercises max for 16 working sets total. Sometimes more if I am in the mood and feel it.
I have never done decline and consider it an ego lift exercise because guys are usually strongest on that one. Too much tricep for my liking.

Cables and pec deck are a waste of energy imo. Great for competitors looking to fine tune a look. Useless for building a chest.

That’s my take.

Thanks , I’ll take any advice at this point bro bc obviously I’m not doing something right here !

Chest was my lagging body part as well, slowly it evened out with the rest of my body. And training it more often doesn’t always mean more growth. This is what helped me:

1 chest day a week

Higher rep range, 15, 12, 10, 8
No need to go below 8

Moving weight with your chest and not your arms. Now this is easier said than done.

2 pressing exercises and 2 fly exercises per workout

Do 3 sets of dips on a training day about 3 days after your chest day

Posing. Can’t stress this enough, learn to really flex your chest, especially poses like front double, front lat, side chest and most muscular

Feel the muscle. If your chest isn’t fully pumped by the end of your workout you were using mostly arms and shoulders.

My chest fuckin blows too bro! I've got some size in the last few weeks by doing cables all different angles. High reps, low reps heavy weight. Just been changing it up.

But its actually workin and I'm happy as fuck. Like you my shoulders take over my chest got to really find something that isolates the chest for you! Good luck my friend!! I also heard if your chest isn't growing maybe you're working it too much. Who knows if that's true...

Chest was my lagging body part as well, slowly it evened out with the rest of my body. And training it more often doesn’t always mean more growth. This is what helped me:

1 chest day a week

Higher rep range, 15, 12, 10, 8
No need to go below 8

Moving weight with your chest and not your arms. Now this is easier said than done.

2 pressing exercises and 2 fly exercises per workout

Do 3 sets of dips on a training day about 3 days after your chest day

Posing. Can’t stress this enough, learn to really flex your chest, especially poses like front double, front lat, side chest and most muscular

Feel the muscle. If your chest isn’t fully pumped by the end of your workout you were using mostly arms and shoulders.

I like this approach alot!!

So I’m just gonna throw this out there , I think my chest is garbage . A weak point over shadowed by my shoulders . Right now I’m training it twice a week. Day 1 is heavy dumbbells to failure . Incline and flat. Some type of chest press machine, finish off with pec deck flys . Day 2 heavy incline bench to failure . Heavy flat bench to failure . Machine presses , finish off with cable flys . I focus on going heavy on the compound movements . I will normally do drop sets as well stripping the weight and slowing down the reps untill I just can’t push any more . For isolation stuff I go for a moderate weight I can control go slow and focus on stretching and squeezing the muscle. This will also be higher rep 15-20 reps . I have always felt like this was a problem point for me and I could really never get it to develop compared to the rest of my body .
https://youtu.be/AWTS6Pxq7jA

My shoulders have always overwhelmed my chest. I utilized German volume training on an additional chest day in the week and that boosted my chest strength at one point.

this time around I’m gonna incorporate heavy stretches and rest pause sets on chest day and add a pump set a few days afterwards.

CoachCabo has some great suggestions. My shoulders & tris always dominated chest days. In my early 30s, I would max at around 2.5X my bodyweight on decline bench and not even feel sore in my chest, but shoulders, lats, and tris. Then I realized I had to work on my shoulder, shoulder blade and elbow position so that I could engage more chest fibers. Sounds weird if you've lifted many years, but stepping back and doing some lighter weights to figure out how to better engage your muscle fibers may be worthwhile.

IML Gear Cream!
Regan Grimes has one of the better / fuller chests I've seen on a competitor - check out some of his chest work outs.

I would skip pec deck and do heavy flyes. Flat one day, incline the next. I haven’t seen anyone do flyes correctly in a long time and with all the elbow bending they look like DB presses. “Grab a tree trunk” we used to say, and hold that position down and up. I don’t squeeze at the top rather focus on deep eccentric contractions.
I started doing incline stuff first, always and that changed my chest these last two years. Four exercises max for 16 working sets total. Sometimes more if I am in the mood and feel it.
I have never done decline and consider it an ego lift exercise because guys are usually strongest on that one. Too much tricep for my liking.

Cables and pec deck are a waste of energy imo. Great for competitors looking to fine tune a look. Useless for building a chest.

That’s my take.

Grab a tree trunk or hug a whisky barrel. Perfect.

CoachCabo has some great suggestions. My shoulders & tris always dominated chest days. In my early 30s, I would max at around 2.5X my bodyweight on decline bench and not even feel sore in my chest, but shoulders, lats, and tris. Then I realized I had to work on my shoulder, shoulder blade and elbow position so that I could engage more chest fibers. Sounds weird if you've lifted many years, but stepping back and doing some lighter weights to figure out how to better engage your muscle fibers may be worthwhile.

On my heavier sets I’m probably pushing more with my arms . But I always lower the weight and do more controled reps to where I can really feel the chest .

That’s my take.

I haven’t done db flys for a while . I used to to them as regular part of my workout. Tbh I don’t know why I ever stopped . I know how to do them with good form lol . I used to say “hug a fat bitch.” I will try any thing . Change the workout , reps whatever it takes. I’m in the process of attempting to look better now in my 30’s then I did in my 20’s. So far the diet is going really well. But I am definitely starting to feel the fatigue from being in a deficit. The leaner I get the harder it’s getting to push through . Especially after I hammer the weights and still have to get on the stair master. But I am determined. I haven’t had a cheat meal in the 8 weeks that I have been doing this again. Calories have been on point 7 days a week and the fat is melting off . I don’t want to stop bc it’s going so well and I am almost there !! Once I feel comfortable with it I’m going to post all my progress pics from 2021 . Starting with the the absolute worse ones when I just came back after my 4 year lay off. I won’t hold anything back no matter how bad the pics are . I started from ground zero this time and I couldn’t be happier with the progress so far .

I agree 100% with backing off the weight . When I going heavy I still try and go to failure. But what goes up must come down. So I pyramid up to a top set . On incline bench I usually get 225 for 6-7 reps . Then I’ll strip the weight and go back down slowing my reps to really feel that burn . I’ll go back down to 135 and hit sets of 12-15 with a nice slow controled rep

The main question is, do you feel your chest working with what you are doing.

If thats, "kinda but when I lower the weight I feel it more" then you need to either look at your form as you progress in weights or exercise selection.

Pick exercises you feel and can load and progress weights.

Sets, reps, blah blah blah doesn't mean fuck all if that isn't squared away.

Found this vid a while back and I try to incorporate it every other week… it’s a quick workout but your chest is toast after. I don’t like cable flys so I do lighter weight extra wide dumbbell flys on a flat bench.

https://youtu.be/XwSJy-S6oXI

I honestly hate my chest and now I feel like my pubescent gyno is starting to show with the lower body fat now… fuck. Gotta save up 5G and have that shit cut out… anybody know a good surgeon that’s reasonable and guarantees complete gland removal?

ff252d68897e5af6fa3b71eeced7efa1.jpg

Get Shredded!
Btw, all these "single workouts you can throw in", that shit doesn't pan out long term.

Exercises you feel, can load, progress weight and are mechanically suited for your structure do.

I honestly hate my chest and now I feel like my pubescent gyno is starting to show with the lower body fat now… fuck. Gotta save up 5G and have that shit cut out… anybody know a good surgeon that’s reasonable and guarantees complete gland removal?

Not too bad! Barely notice really. Are u able to shrink or manage it or , you just want to remove gland ? Thing is, it can make the nipple look worse if they cave in or remove too much tissue and you wouldn’t like the post op version. I’d be very choosy!

Max

I always tell people that they shouldn’t ask the guy with the best xxxx in the gym how to get “xxx like that?”. Chances are he was gifted them. Look for the guy who you have seen improve a bodypart and either watch or ask how he did it.

30 years ago I had massive calves and guys would always ask me how to build “…calves like that?”.
They looked pretty disappointed when I told them I never trained calves. I did squat like a MF’er back then though.
Same with traps. I never train them, or at least never target them. It would pretty disingenuous for me to tell people that I got them through some magic training routine.

We are the hardest on ourselves. When I look in the mirror I always see the flaws. Brother your chest is good just keep hitting the weights.

I have the same issue with the gyno . I got it when o was like 15 in my right nip . It’s been there forever . When I was a kid and first felt it I thought it was cancer . As I’m getting leaner it has definitely shrunk but it’s still there .

I always tell people that they shouldn’t ask the guy with the best xxxx in the gym how to get “xxx like that?”. Chances are he was gifted them. Look for the guy who you have seen improve a bodypart and either watch or ask how he did it.

30 years ago I had massive calves and guys would always ask me how to build “…calves like that?”.
They looked pretty disappointed when I told them I never trained calves. I did squat like a MF’er back then though.
Same with traps. I never train them, or at least never target them. It would pretty disingenuous for me to tell people that I got them through some magic training routine.

I feel like this about my shoulders . Even before I started seriously lifting I always had broad shoulders . My dad is the same way. I hate training arms lmfaooo .

Not too bad! Barely notice really. Are u able to shrink or manage it or , you just want to remove gland ? Thing is, it can make the nipple look worse if they cave in or remove too much tissue and you wouldn’t like the post op version. I’d be very choosy!

Max

That’s a good point, and one that I hadn’t really considered. Now that you say it I think I am ok with it as it is so long as it does not get any bigger. That’s my main concern and why I wanted them removed, so I don’t have to constantly worry about it flaring up and turning into some big ole titties. I’m nervous to go above 500mgs test which I ran with absolutely no problems. Lumps didn’t grow at all so I was happy about that. Someone was telling me that if you come into this game with lumps from puberty the androgens are guaranteed going to cause the preexisting condition to worsen… not a matter of if but when… that’s what I was told so I’ve had it in my head they need to get snipped…

Haven’t tried to shrink them, is that even possible with something I’ve had now for 18+ years? What would I use?

Thanks for your input man your wisdom is always appreciated

I haven’t had it get any bigger from using gear . I’ve kept a close eye on it too bc I can’t stand it . Luckily it’s small enough that it’s really noticeable

That’s a good point, and one that I hadn’t really considered. Now that you say it I think I am ok with it as it is so long as it does not get any bigger. That’s my main concern and why I wanted them removed, so I don’t have to constantly worry about it flaring up and turning into some big ole titties. I’m nervous to go above 500mgs test which I ran with absolutely no problems. Lumps didn’t grow at all so I was happy about that. Someone was telling me that if you come into this game with lumps from puberty the androgens are guaranteed going to cause the preexisting condition to worsen… not a matter of if but when… that’s what I was told so I’ve had it in my head they need to get snipped…

Haven’t tried to shrink them, is that even possible with something I’ve had now for 18+ years? What would I use?

Thanks for your input man your wisdom is always appreciated

Letrozole 2.5mg is the strongest AI pill, but also Nolvadex is used

Some do 1mg of letro (treading lightly not to dump your e2) then after they shrink or don’t shrink it , they use 20mg Nolvadex daily while cycling to block the receptor. Some use Raloxifene at 60mg also. Not advice , just things I’ve heard!

Max

You can't get rid of gyno without surgery.

You can decrease inflammation in the gland but, you can't get rid of it.

It's tissue that has grown......it's not muscle or fat. You can't reduce the tissue that has grown.

The myth that you can get rid of it is simply guys getting the inflammation and being able to reduce it in time before growth happens.

Yours is barely noticeable....... I would just think it's fat like I've said before. Stop fixating on it.

Back