Lagging chest

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50

Thread: Lagging chest

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Capthowdy87's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    554

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    221
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    334
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Rep Points
    3335557

    Lagging chest

    So Iím just gonna throw this out there , I think my chest is garbage . A weak point over shadowed by my shoulders . Right now Iím training it twice a week. Day 1 is heavy dumbbells to failure . Incline and flat. Some type of chest press machine, finish off with pec deck flys . Day 2 heavy incline bench to failure . Heavy flat bench to failure . Machine presses , finish off with cable flys . I focus on going heavy on the compound movements . I will normally do drop sets as well stripping the weight and slowing down the reps untill I just canít push any more . For isolation stuff I go for a moderate weight I can control go slow and focus on stretching and squeezing the muscle. This will also be higher rep 15-20 reps . I have always felt like this was a problem point for me and I could really never get it to develop compared to the rest of my body .

  2. #2
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,550

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    965
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,001
    Thanked in
    1,632 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    I would skip pec deck and do heavy flyes. Flat one day, incline the next. I havenít seen anyone do flyes correctly in a long time and with all the elbow bending they look like DB presses. ďGrab a tree trunkĒ we used to say, and hold that position down and up. I donít squeeze at the top rather focus on deep eccentric contractions.
    I started doing incline stuff first, always and that changed my chest these last two years. Four exercises max for 16 working sets total. Sometimes more if I am in the mood and feel it.
    I have never done decline and consider it an ego lift exercise because guys are usually strongest on that one. Too much tricep for my liking.

    Cables and pec deck are a waste of energy imo. Great for competitors looking to fine tune a look. Useless for building a chest.

    Thatís my take.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Capthowdy87's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    554

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    221
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    334
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Rep Points
    3335557

    Thanks , Iíll take any advice at this point bro bc obviously Iím not doing something right here !

  4. #4
    Registered User
    BodybuilderZepp's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Your Basement
    Posts
    2,411

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,944
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,540
    Thanked in
    1,437 Posts
    Rep Points
    37504276

    Chest was my lagging body part as well, slowly it evened out with the rest of my body. And training it more often doesnít always mean more growth. This is what helped me:

    1 chest day a week

    Higher rep range, 15, 12, 10, 8
    No need to go below 8

    Moving weight with your chest and not your arms. Now this is easier said than done.

    2 pressing exercises and 2 fly exercises per workout

    Do 3 sets of dips on a training day about 3 days after your chest day

    Posing. Canít stress this enough, learn to really flex your chest, especially poses like front double, front lat, side chest and most muscular

    Feel the muscle. If your chest isnít fully pumped by the end of your workout you were using mostly arms and shoulders.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Seattlesbest's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Big Green
    Posts
    11,758

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    625
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    778
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    My chest fuckin blows too bro! I've got some size in the last few weeks by doing cables all different angles. High reps, low reps heavy weight. Just been changing it up.

    But its actually workin and I'm happy as fuck. Like you my shoulders take over my chest got to really find something that isolates the chest for you! Good luck my friend!! I also heard if your chest isn't growing maybe you're working it too much. Who knows if that's true...
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.


  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Seattlesbest's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Big Green
    Posts
    11,758

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    625
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    778
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by BodybuilderZepp View Post
    Chest was my lagging body part as well, slowly it evened out with the rest of my body. And training it more often doesnít always mean more growth. This is what helped me:

    1 chest day a week

    Higher rep range, 15, 12, 10, 8
    No need to go below 8

    Moving weight with your chest and not your arms. Now this is easier said than done.

    2 pressing exercises and 2 fly exercises per workout

    Do 3 sets of dips on a training day about 3 days after your chest day

    Posing. Canít stress this enough, learn to really flex your chest, especially poses like front double, front lat, side chest and most muscular

    Feel the muscle. If your chest isnít fully pumped by the end of your workout you were using mostly arms and shoulders.
    I like this approach alot!!
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.


  7. #7
    Board Rep
    BOARD REP
    samgraves82's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Age
    39
    Posts
    7,019

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,303
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,119
    Thanked in
    3,724 Posts
    Rep Points
    70488785

    Quote Originally Posted by Capthowdy87 View Post
    So Iím just gonna throw this out there , I think my chest is garbage . A weak point over shadowed by my shoulders . Right now Iím training it twice a week. Day 1 is heavy dumbbells to failure . Incline and flat. Some type of chest press machine, finish off with pec deck flys . Day 2 heavy incline bench to failure . Heavy flat bench to failure . Machine presses , finish off with cable flys . I focus on going heavy on the compound movements . I will normally do drop sets as well stripping the weight and slowing down the reps untill I just canít push any more . For isolation stuff I go for a moderate weight I can control go slow and focus on stretching and squeezing the muscle. This will also be higher rep 15-20 reps . I have always felt like this was a problem point for me and I could really never get it to develop compared to the rest of my body .

  8. #8
    Registered User
    maxmuscle1's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    21,454

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    34,199
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    19,630
    Thanked in
    11,840 Posts
    Rep Points
    728271140

    Quote Originally Posted by samgraves82 View Post
    Good video and some great info from CT!

    Max

  9. #9
    Twat Waffle Inspector
    Milford King's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Milky Way
    Posts
    12,477

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    8,868
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10,143
    Thanked in
    5,720 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    My shoulders have always overwhelmed my chest. I utilized German volume training on an additional chest day in the week and that boosted my chest strength at one point.

    this time around Iím gonna incorporate heavy stretches and rest pause sets on chest day and add a pump set a few days afterwards.
    ďTape on a dick you twat waffleĒ - IronRage & Dale C.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    FM19's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    400

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    483
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    328
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Rep Points
    5427718

    CoachCabo has some great suggestions. My shoulders & tris always dominated chest days. In my early 30s, I would max at around 2.5X my bodyweight on decline bench and not even feel sore in my chest, but shoulders, lats, and tris. Then I realized I had to work on my shoulder, shoulder blade and elbow position so that I could engage more chest fibers. Sounds weird if you've lifted many years, but stepping back and doing some lighter weights to figure out how to better engage your muscle fibers may be worthwhile.

  11. #11
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    223

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    581
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    268
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Rep Points
    2664813

    Regan Grimes has one of the better / fuller chests I've seen on a competitor - check out some of his chest work outs.

  12. #12
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    54

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    97
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    35
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Rep Points
    350100

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachCabo View Post
    I would skip pec deck and do heavy flyes. Flat one day, incline the next. I havenít seen anyone do flyes correctly in a long time and with all the elbow bending they look like DB presses. ďGrab a tree trunkĒ we used to say, and hold that position down and up. I donít squeeze at the top rather focus on deep eccentric contractions.
    I started doing incline stuff first, always and that changed my chest these last two years. Four exercises max for 16 working sets total. Sometimes more if I am in the mood and feel it.
    I have never done decline and consider it an ego lift exercise because guys are usually strongest on that one. Too much tricep for my liking.

    Cables and pec deck are a waste of energy imo. Great for competitors looking to fine tune a look. Useless for building a chest.

    Thatís my take.

    Grab a tree trunk or hug a whisky barrel. Perfect.

  13. #13
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,550

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    965
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,001
    Thanked in
    1,632 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolan View Post
    Grab a tree trunk or hug a whisky barrel. Perfect.
    I donít drink.
    Ö.or hug trees for that matter.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Capthowdy87's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    554

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    221
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    334
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Rep Points
    3335557

    Quote Originally Posted by FM19 View Post
    CoachCabo has some great suggestions. My shoulders & tris always dominated chest days. In my early 30s, I would max at around 2.5X my bodyweight on decline bench and not even feel sore in my chest, but shoulders, lats, and tris. Then I realized I had to work on my shoulder, shoulder blade and elbow position so that I could engage more chest fibers. Sounds weird if you've lifted many years, but stepping back and doing some lighter weights to figure out how to better engage your muscle fibers may be worthwhile.
    On my heavier sets Iím probably pushing more with my arms . But I always lower the weight and do more controled reps to where I can really feel the chest .

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Capthowdy87's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    554

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    221
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    334
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Rep Points
    3335557

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachCabo View Post
    I would skip pec deck and do heavy flyes. Flat one day, incline the next. I havenít seen anyone do flyes correctly in a long time and with all the elbow bending they look like DB presses. ďGrab a tree trunkĒ we used to say, and hold that position down and up. I donít squeeze at the top rather focus on deep eccentric contractions.
    I started doing incline stuff first, always and that changed my chest these last two years. Four exercises max for 16 working sets total. Sometimes more if I am in the mood and feel it.
    I have never done decline and consider it an ego lift exercise because guys are usually strongest on that one. Too much tricep for my liking.

    Cables and pec deck are a waste of energy imo. Great for competitors looking to fine tune a look. Useless for building a chest.

    Thatís my take.
    I havenít done db flys for a while . I used to to them as regular part of my workout. Tbh I donít know why I ever stopped . I know how to do them with good form lol . I used to say ďhug a fat bitch.Ē I will try any thing . Change the workout , reps whatever it takes. Iím in the process of attempting to look better now in my 30ís then I did in my 20ís. So far the diet is going really well. But I am definitely starting to feel the fatigue from being in a deficit. The leaner I get the harder itís getting to push through . Especially after I hammer the weights and still have to get on the stair master. But I am determined. I havenít had a cheat meal in the 8 weeks that I have been doing this again. Calories have been on point 7 days a week and the fat is melting off . I donít want to stop bc itís going so well and I am almost there !! Once I feel comfortable with it Iím going to post all my progress pics from 2021 . Starting with the the absolute worse ones when I just came back after my 4 year lay off. I wonít hold anything back no matter how bad the pics are . I started from ground zero this time and I couldnít be happier with the progress so far .

Similar Threads

  1. Lagging shoulders
    By Void in forum Training
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-21-2020, 09:11 AM
  2. Delt Training for Lagging Shoulders?
    By jmeefi1732 in forum Training
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-08-2020, 08:10 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-16-2019, 01:04 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-03-2015, 12:20 PM
  5. Rear delts are lagging
    By Barber in forum Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 03:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright© 2012-2021 Anabolic Steroid Discussion Forums