Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lagging chest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Rep Points

Lagging chest

So Iím just gonna throw this out there , I think my chest is garbage . A weak point over shadowed by my shoulders . Right now Iím training it twice a week. Day 1 is heavy dumbbells to failure . Incline and flat. Some type of chest press machine, finish off with pec deck flys . Day 2 heavy incline bench to failure . Heavy flat bench to failure . Machine presses , finish off with cable flys . I focus on going heavy on the compound movements . I will normally do drop sets as well stripping the weight and slowing down the reps untill I just canít push any more . For isolation stuff I go for a moderate weight I can control go slow and focus on stretching and squeezing the muscle. This will also be higher rep 15-20 reps . I have always felt like this was a problem point for me and I could really never get it to develop compared to the rest of my body .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,632 Posts
    Rep Points

I would skip pec deck and do heavy flyes. Flat one day, incline the next. I havenít seen anyone do flyes correctly in a long time and with all the elbow bending they look like DB presses. ďGrab a tree trunkĒ we used to say, and hold that position down and up. I donít squeeze at the top rather focus on deep eccentric contractions.
    I started doing incline stuff first, always and that changed my chest these last two years. Four exercises max for 16 working sets total. Sometimes more if I am in the mood and feel it.
    I have never done decline and consider it an ego lift exercise because guys are usually strongest on that one. Too much tricep for my liking.

Cables and pec deck are a waste of energy imo. Great for competitors looking to fine tune a look. Useless for building a chest.

Thatís my take.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Rep Points

Thanks , Iíll take any advice at this point bro bc obviously Iím not doing something right here !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,437 Posts
    Rep Points

Chest was my lagging body part as well, slowly it evened out with the rest of my body. And training it more often doesnít always mean more growth. This is what helped me:

1 chest day a week

Higher rep range, 15, 12, 10, 8
    No need to go below 8

Moving weight with your chest and not your arms. Now this is easier said than done.

2 pressing exercises and 2 fly exercises per workout

Do 3 sets of dips on a training day about 3 days after your chest day

Posing. Canít stress this enough, learn to really flex your chest, especially poses like front double, front lat, side chest and most muscular

Feel the muscle. If your chest isnít fully pumped by the end of your workout you were using mostly arms and shoulders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Rep Points

My chest fuckin blows too bro! I've got some size in the last few weeks by doing cables all different angles. High reps, low reps heavy weight. Just been changing it up.

But its actually workin and I'm happy as fuck. Like you my shoulders take over my chest got to really find something that isolates the chest for you! Good luck my friend!! I also heard if your chest isn't growing maybe you're working it too much. Who knows if that's true...
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by BodybuilderZepp View Post
    Chest was my lagging body part as well, slowly it evened out with the rest of my body. And training it more often doesnít always mean more growth. This is what helped me:

1 chest day a week

Higher rep range, 15, 12, 10, 8
    No need to go below 8

Moving weight with your chest and not your arms. Now this is easier said than done.

2 pressing exercises and 2 fly exercises per workout

Do 3 sets of dips on a training day about 3 days after your chest day

Posing. Canít stress this enough, learn to really flex your chest, especially poses like front double, front lat, side chest and most muscular

Feel the muscle. If your chest isnít fully pumped by the end of your workout you were using mostly arms and shoulders.
    I like this approach alot!!
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,724 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Capthowdy87 View Post
    So Iím just gonna throw this out there , I think my chest is garbage . A weak point over shadowed by my shoulders . Right now Iím training it twice a week. Day 1 is heavy dumbbells to failure . Incline and flat. Some type of chest press machine, finish off with pec deck flys . Day 2 heavy incline bench to failure . Heavy flat bench to failure . Machine presses , finish off with cable flys . I focus on going heavy on the compound movements . I will normally do drop sets as well stripping the weight and slowing down the reps untill I just canít push any more . For isolation stuff I go for a moderate weight I can control go slow and focus on stretching and squeezing the muscle. This will also be higher rep 15-20 reps . I have always felt like this was a problem point for me and I could really never get it to develop compared to the rest of my body .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11,840 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by samgraves82 View Post
    Good video and some great info from CT!

Max

Twat Waffle Inspector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,720 Posts
    Rep Points

My shoulders have always overwhelmed my chest. I utilized German volume training on an additional chest day in the week and that boosted my chest strength at one point.

this time around Iím gonna incorporate heavy stretches and rest pause sets on chest day and add a pump set a few days afterwards.
    ďTape on a dick you twat waffleĒ - IronRage & Dale C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Rep Points

CoachCabo has some great suggestions. My shoulders & tris always dominated chest days. In my early 30s, I would max at around 2.5X my bodyweight on decline bench and not even feel sore in my chest, but shoulders, lats, and tris. Then I realized I had to work on my shoulder, shoulder blade and elbow position so that I could engage more chest fibers. Sounds weird if you've lifted many years, but stepping back and doing some lighter weights to figure out how to better engage your muscle fibers may be worthwhile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Rep Points

Regan Grimes has one of the better / fuller chests I've seen on a competitor - check out some of his chest work outs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CoachCabo View Post
    I would skip pec deck and do heavy flyes. Flat one day, incline the next. I havenít seen anyone do flyes correctly in a long time and with all the elbow bending they look like DB presses. ďGrab a tree trunkĒ we used to say, and hold that position down and up. I donít squeeze at the top rather focus on deep eccentric contractions.
    I started doing incline stuff first, always and that changed my chest these last two years. Four exercises max for 16 working sets total. Sometimes more if I am in the mood and feel it.
    I have never done decline and consider it an ego lift exercise because guys are usually strongest on that one. Too much tricep for my liking.

Cables and pec deck are a waste of energy imo. Great for competitors looking to fine tune a look. Useless for building a chest.

Thatís my take.

Grab a tree trunk or hug a whisky barrel. Perfect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,632 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bolan View Post
    Grab a tree trunk or hug a whisky barrel. Perfect.
    I donít drink.
    Ö.or hug trees for that matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by FM19 View Post
    CoachCabo has some great suggestions. My shoulders & tris always dominated chest days. In my early 30s, I would max at around 2.5X my bodyweight on decline bench and not even feel sore in my chest, but shoulders, lats, and tris. Then I realized I had to work on my shoulder, shoulder blade and elbow position so that I could engage more chest fibers. Sounds weird if you've lifted many years, but stepping back and doing some lighter weights to figure out how to better engage your muscle fibers may be worthwhile.
    On my heavier sets Iím probably pushing more with my arms . But I always lower the weight and do more controled reps to where I can really feel the chest .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CoachCabo View Post

Thatís my take.
    I havenít done db flys for a while . I used to to them as regular part of my workout. Tbh I donít know why I ever stopped . I know how to do them with good form lol . I used to say ďhug a fat bitch.Ē I will try any thing . Change the workout , reps whatever it takes. Iím in the process of attempting to look better now in my 30ís then I did in my 20ís. So far the diet is going really well. But I am definitely starting to feel the fatigue from being in a deficit. The leaner I get the harder itís getting to push through . Especially after I hammer the weights and still have to get on the stair master. But I am determined. I havenít had a cheat meal in the 8 weeks that I have been doing this again. Calories have been on point 7 days a week and the fat is melting off . I donít want to stop bc itís going so well and I am almost there !! Once I feel comfortable with it Iím going to post all my progress pics from 2021 . Starting with the the absolute worse ones when I just came back after my 4 year lay off. I wonít hold anything back no matter how bad the pics are . I started from ground zero this time and I couldnít be happier with the progress so far .