• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Fat Gripz: Any opinions?

christiantt

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Anybody have any experience with this product or similar ones? Mechanically, it seems to make sense. There is a smith machine at my gym and the bar is extra thick, way beyond any standard barbell. Anyways, I rack the smith bar at the highest rung and when I do pull ups on it, it definitely "feels" different, better actually, than doing a pull up on the standard width bars/etc at the pull up stations or whatever.

Any thoughts? The product isn't expensive at all and seems like it could be a nice addition.

"Fat Grips work by wrapping around the weights (barbells, dumbbells, pull up bars) & increasing the diameter. Don’t let the simplicity fool you - the bigger diameter forces your arms to work much harder making them grow, fast"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=pokeragentdk-20&linkId=6G533EEVL6E3SXWE&th=1

I'm 50/50 on them. It does improve grip strength, but you're so limited with them that it really only applies to lower weights. IE, when you get ready to go heavy, you won't be able to use them. They're nice on the warm up DB's.

I'm 50/50 on them. It does improve grip strength, but you're so limited with them that it really only applies to lower weights. IE, when you get ready to go heavy, you won't be able to use them. They're nice on the warm up DB's.
I noticed that the advantages of using Fat Gripz break down on heavier weight and actually increasing the risk of injury. I use them but only on relative light weight as I've gotten an injury using them on higher weight...maybe that's just me...

Agree 100%...
Mine are collecting dust but I can be a lazy

I never used them constantly but I noticed foam around dumbells makes gripping a harder

Ive trained with them for many years

In strongman we used Axles. Some were lighter then a barbell and some were heavier and for grip work they are amazing

A little known secret is that if you suffer elbow pain or tricep issues say from Tendonitis, etc, a thick bar or fat gripz totally can eliminate elbow pain etc

You can even train barely holding the bar say for instance on incline presses. You just let the fat bar or gripz rest in your hands and do your reps.

I also got super strong doing clean and presses with an axle or fat gripz.

I had no idea they even existed till now. Never really gave it a thought actually. I guess one of these days I’m gonna pop this bubble I’ve apparently been living in and join the rest of the world. Lol

Ive trained with them for many years

In strongman we used Axles. Some were lighter then a barbell and some were heavier and for grip work they are amazing

A little known secret is that if you suffer elbow pain or tricep issues say from Tendonitis, etc, a thick bar or fat gripz totally can eliminate elbow pain etc

You can even train barely holding the bar say for instance on incline presses. You just let the fat bar or gripz rest in your hands and do your reps.

I also got super strong doing clean and presses with an axle or fat gripz.

Amen to this ^^

I started getting elbow tendinitis and forearm extensor issues, switched to using fat grips for pressing and on bicep exercises - pain almost totally gone. Super helpful tool for lessening/eliminating pain and strain on forearms.

That being said, as a trainer, I used them with newbies to increase their grip strength - as most newbies would have their grip give out before their muscles . But for people more experienced such as we all are, if anything, I find myself/others needing to lessen the strain on the forearms rather than increase grip strength.

Forearm pumps for dayz!!!

Threw my set in the gym bag recently, and have been using them for various things.
Reverse cable-curls (or reverse preacher curls) using them have been blowing my forearms up lately.

IML Gear Cream!
I always liked that stuff because I have large hands and long fingers. I feel more confident in my grip simply because it's not like wrapping my twizzler fingers around a quarter sized bar. So when I wanted to bury a pull up bar in my yard. I made sure to construct one from thick black pipe like a fence post. And I tend to do better with it. When I bought dumbells I went with iron master because they seemed to have a thicker hand hold which eliminated the need for the fat grips. In fact with those grips on the iron masters. Even I found it a bit much. And that's coming from someone who prefers a thicker hold.

Back