• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Black Belts

AR-15

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Just wondering if anyone here has a black belt or any belt in martial arts? If so in what and how long did it take you to get it?

Just wondering if anyone here has a black belt or any belt in martial arts? If so in what and how long did it take you to get it?

Yes a black belt in Shotokan karate.

Blue belt in bjj… 3 years of training 3/4x week to get.
I go to other gyms and murder higher belts so basically I’m a black belt lol

Look at it this way bro it took me 14 years full time to get mine so your definitely ahead of the game. I do believe in tradition and everything but you are correct. There comes a point where they may as well just give it to you. Not sure if 4 years qualifies but I get what your saying.

Blue belt in bjj… 3 years of training 3/4x week to get.
I go to other gyms and murder higher belts so basically I’m a black belt lol

State Champ Wrestler, went to Nationals lost....sigh...
No Belts... I taught Myself Jujitsu and Shoot Style Wrestling. I certainly trained with those that had "belts"... I was an expert grappler. It came natural to me. I walked on to the wrestling team Sophomore year with only ever wrestling my buddies who wrestled. I was put on Varsity within 2 meets... I went state and Nationals the following year.
So it was no surprise to anybody when I was tapping black belts in Jujitsu within a year.

Now boxing is whole another story. I was not a good boxer. I was okay. I had a chin like granite and could take damage but I was no puncher. I did take on some basic leg kicks/frt kicks etc... and I used to have very powerful kicks. I once destroyed a gyms "BIG BAG" because I was super pissed and just unleashed until I couldn't kick anymore. The owner of the gym charged me of course but did not stop me because (his words not mine) "AT that moment I felt like you could have felled an Oak Tree with those kicks" My legs were faster than my hands and I was good at switch kicks (changing directions on a whim)... but I was no Taekwondo type of kicker. All basics... no flare. My brother-in-law is a third degree Black (iirc maybe 2nd) in real Korean Taekwondo and Hapkido he was 1st degree black belt. I have seen him do some shit I did not think possible. He once kicked a wind chime about 7.5 feet in the air with a jumping axe kick and broke the 20 lb test fishing string holding a single chime.... That single chime landed about 40 feet away in the street. You would think that whole chime assembly would have been tangled and ruined...but nope...it barely moved... One of the most impressive feats I have seen in person.

I trained boxing with Rob Radford Way back in late 90's when his Gym was in basically a shithole... He has trained many MMA guys like Rich Franklin...I only did so for about 8/9 mths...

Two black belts. That’s pretty impressive bro. Had to take up a large portion of your time. Just wondering if it was just your passion or if it was necessary for some reason?

3rd Dan in Tae Kwon Do
1st in Judo

Thanks for the detailed response CowboyPump. I knew there had to be more guys into fighting here than just two. I just always assumed that since most here I’m sure consider themselves Alpha males it would be a good discussion. Plus I’ve talked via PM to many here that claim they were into MMA and most held high ranking belts in this or that. I will say and I mean this with no disrespect but if a self taught varsity wrestler made me tap I would honestly take both my black belts off and burn them in the street and would never leave my house again. Lol

State Champ Wrestler, went to Nationals lost....sigh...
No Belts... I taught Myself Jujitsu and Shoot Style Wrestling. I certainly trained with those that had "belts"... I was an expert grappler. It came natural to me. I walked on to the wrestling team Sophomore year with only ever wrestling my buddies who wrestled. I was put on Varsity within 2 meets... I went state and Nationals the following year.
So it was no surprise to anybody when I was tapping black belts in Jujitsu within a year.

Now boxing is whole another story. I was not a good boxer. I was okay. I had a chin like granite and could take damage but I was no puncher. I did take on some basic leg kicks/frt kicks etc... and I used to have very powerful kicks. I once destroyed a gyms "BIG BAG" because I was super pissed and just unleashed until I couldn't kick anymore. The owner of the gym charged me of course but did not stop me because (his words not mine) "AT that moment I felt like you could have felled an Oak Tree with those kicks" My legs were faster than my hands and I was good at switch kicks (changing directions on a whim)... but I was no Taekwondo type of kicker. All basics... no flare. My brother-in-law is a third degree Black (iirc maybe 2nd) in real Korean Taekwondo and Hapkido he was 1st degree black belt. I have seen him do some shit I did not think possible. He once kicked a wind chime about 7.5 feet in the air with a jumping axe kick and broke the 20 lb test fishing string holding a single chime.... That single chime landed about 40 feet away in the street. You would think that whole chime assembly would have been tangled and ruined...but nope...it barely moved... One of the most impressive feats I have seen in person.

I trained boxing with Rob Radford Way back in late 90's when his Gym was in basically a shithole... He has trained many MMA guys like Rich Franklin...I only did so for about 8/9 mths...

IML Gear Cream!
Two black belts. That’s pretty impressive bro. Had to take up a large portion of your time. Just wondering if it was just your passion or if it was necessary for some reason?

Started young but the 1st in Tae was a 10 yr trek..The breaking of concrete was getting tuff..
Also did a great deal of knife fighting and Close Quarters Combat.That was lots of fun with some old SF friends..that just rolled me around for hrs..

Back