Do you old fuckers still squat?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Rep Points

Iím definitely seeing a pattern here with the smith machine. I think Iíll try getting my back/shoulder loosened up the best I can with a lot of stretching but just squat on the smith the days my body isnít cooperating. Thanks gentlemen!
    Everything I post is a parody and meant for entertainment purposes only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by JaceBon View Post
    Canít believe I didnít even consider the smith... Thatís a pretty good idea. Even if I have trouble getting my arms in place I can damn bear squat without holding it and just kinda shift forward to lock it back in. Thanks for sharing superbox

Of course I wanna hear from more of you, too
    No problem brother! A lot of times when I do smith machine squats I donít hold on to the bar. When I do leg presses I mainly like to do single leg and I vary the positions. Main reason for this is so I donít have a side moving more of the weight and so I donít have to load and unload a lot of weight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,626 Posts
    Rep Points

Smith for me too but only a plate or two. The point is just to still do the movement for me, not really get any development any more. I would probably still squat at 58 ifmy pelvis werenít unstable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,516 Posts
    Rep Points

Unfortunately smith-machine for me makes no difference.
    Knee joint still feels it in the same manner. Pain...
    ~
    [[[[------------------]]]]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Rep Points

42, knee issues keeps me from going ďass to grassĒ but I do box squats in different heights, it keeps my knees from acting up and I can go as heavy as I want/can without pain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,850 Posts
    Rep Points

I've been using a hack squat machine as I can no longer barbell squat due to lower back and knee issues, not to mention getting a stinger in my neck due to pressure the bar places on an old fracture in my neck and that has gotten worse over time.
    Show me

ASF MVP
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11,994 Posts
    Rep Points

I've doubled down on my squats recently. I used to just squat to shit. Now I do it when I piss. Not in public restrooms though...that's disgusting.

Super Fuckin User

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    350 Posts
    Rep Points

Not with two torn ACLs
    Ready On Deck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,850 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyOnDeck View Post
    Not with two torn ACLs
    Ouch double bad that is...my left one is hanging by a thread even after all these years and too proud to get it fixed.
    Show me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts
    Rep Points

I had double knee replacements I recently started doing belt squats & leg presses, knees feel good on these exercises. I'm 53 so I dont go heavy just enough to get a good burn.

Super Fuckin User

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    350 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MindlessWork View Post
    Ouch double bad that is...my left one is hanging by a thread even after all these years and too proud to get it fixed.
    I've had 6 shoulder surgeries, 42 Epidurals in the neck and back, wicked back and neck surgery after being literally hit by a bus, a hernia, I won't even continue.

I'm grateful to be alive and have refused surgery on the lower half.. Guess we're "too proud boysĒ! But itís getting to me
    Ready On Deck

Super Fuckin User

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    350 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by juiceddawg View Post
    I had double knee replacements I recently started doing belt squats & leg presses, knees feel good on these exercises. I'm 53 so I dont go heavy just enough to get a good burn.
    Good to hear positive results!! Ty
    Ready On Deck

Twat Waffle Inspector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,696 Posts
    Rep Points

My body identifies at over 40, my brain not so much. However, I still squat Ö I was one of those guys that skipped leg day in my early years and picked it up as I got more experienced.

I will say this tho, last week I was doing some heavy t bar rows and felt a couple pops (like cracking your knuckles) starting in my lower spinal cord and traveling up into my mid back. Instantly I dropped the bar and slowly fell to the ground (old man style) and my lower back felt like someone took a sledgehammer to it. Itís been 4 days or so and Iím in pain still mostly when either going to sit down or getting up from sitting.

so needless to say I havenít stepped foot in my gym since then. The one thing I was gonna say is, in my experience (possibly because my legs were so underdeveloped from my consistent dismissal of leg workouts) I had experienced large gains in leg development just using German volume training techniques in the squat rack. This way I could pick a lighter weight and make sure my form was top notch and go for broke on my squats. Starting my leg workouts off with hamstring curls also greatly reduces any discomfort from squatting as well.

then I finish it off with leg extension burnoutsÖ which doesnít take long after a 10x10 with a couple hundred pounds in the squat rack.

In my defense, in my early days I justified my lack of leg days due to playing year round in adult rec league sports. But I ainít dead yet and Iím really hoping to turn things around this winter and get my motivation back.

But my back is fuckin killing me right now so I think Iím gonna scratch t bar rows off my routine from here on out.
    ďTape on a dick you twat waffleĒ - IronRage & Dale C.

ASF MVP
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11,994 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Milford King View Post
    My body identifies at over 40, my brain not so much. However, I still squat Ö I was one of those guys that skipped leg day in my early years and picked it up as I got more experienced.

I will say this tho, last week I was doing some heavy t bar rows and felt a couple pops (like cracking your knuckles) starting in my lower spinal cord and traveling up into my mid back. Instantly I dropped the bar and slowly fell to the ground (old man style) and my lower back felt like someone took a sledgehammer to it. Itís been 4 days or so and Iím in pain still mostly when either going to sit down or getting up from sitting.

so needless to say I havenít stepped foot in my gym since then. The one thing I was gonna say is, in my experience (possibly because my legs were so underdeveloped from my consistent dismissal of leg workouts) I had experienced large gains in leg development just using German volume training techniques in the squat rack. This way I could pick a lighter weight and make sure my form was top notch and go for broke on my squats. Starting my leg workouts off with hamstring curls also greatly reduces any discomfort from squatting as well.

then I finish it off with leg extension burnoutsÖ which doesnít take long after a 10x10 with a couple hundred pounds in the squat rack.

In my defense, in my early days I justified my lack of leg days due to playing year round in adult rec league sports. But I ainít dead yet and Iím really hoping to turn things around this winter and get my motivation back.

But my back is fuckin killing me right now so I think Iím gonna scratch t bar rows off my routine from here on out.

Got a good chiropractor?

Twat Waffle Inspector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,696 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Multislacking View Post
    Got a good chiropractor?
    nope lol

I had one (only two visits) but they chased him outta town. Too bad too cuz he had that cryogenic set up that I wanted to try. One thing I hate about chiropractors is how they schedule you for your next appointment before your first one is even completed. Itís like a pyramid scheme Ö. ButÖ I may have to bite the bullet and find me another one soon.
    ďTape on a dick you twat waffleĒ - IronRage & Dale C.