Do you old fuckers still squat?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    697 Posts
    Rep Points

45 y.o.a. I do them if I have knee wraps. Otherwise my left knee for sure would prolly just blow out. My max was 515lbs@185ishlbs but I never trained hard for legs... Yeah I'm that guy...

about 5 months ago I was doing 305lbs but I could have pushed more but didn't want to chance it. After listening to the wisdom of many of you around here...it aint about how much you put up for a max at our age. It's about putting up good quality reps. So I backed off heavy everything except deadlifts at the time as I was training to beat a state record. I was on track as I had pulled 505lbs and had 6 months left to train to get to 575lbs. The record was for 40-45 yoa Male @205lbs in my state. That got sidelined when an old neck injury finally cut loose. I am now able to start lifting again but I have to get epidurals every few months and do PT/chiropractic care for the foreseeable future. So starting next Monday I get back at but prolly will give up on any record chasing. Not worth it in the long run...

To those that have neck pain/injuries get you a "Stingray" it clips on the bar fits like glove to your neck/traps etc... My neck injury is at c4,c5 c6 t1 and t2... So I need something to spread the weight out.

To all of you still pushing and giving your best I salute you!!!!!
    Last edited by CowboyPump77; 10-05-2021 at 04:02 PM.

ASF MVP
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12,010 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Milford King View Post
    nope lol

I had one (only two visits) but they chased him outta town. Too bad too cuz he had that cryogenic set up that I wanted to try. One thing I hate about chiropractors is how they schedule you for your next appointment before your first one is even completed. Itís like a pyramid scheme Ö. ButÖ I may have to bite the bullet and find me another one soon.
    The ones that do that are worthless. A good one will typically get you going in one visit. Snap and crack. Ask them if they are "hands on" or prefer to use equipment. You want the "hands on" ones. Or ask them if they are good at the "side position adjustment".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,852 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyOnDeck View Post
    I've had 6 shoulder surgeries, 42 Epidurals in the neck and back, wicked back and neck surgery after being literally hit by a bus, a hernia, I won't even continue.

I'm grateful to be alive and have refused surgery on the lower half.. Guess we're "too proud boysĒ! But itís getting to me
    Ouch man that's brutal...and yet you survived being hit by a bus. That means karma was on your good side.

That's about as me falling 3 stories and landing on packed dirt...cracking my neck and fracturing my skull plus all else then having a surreal out of body experience.

We both are lucky to even be here!
    Show me

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Rep Points

51 and still straight bar squatting with lots of health problems, arthritis and past injuries. Progressively going down hill tho, 405 a few years, 315 up until recently. Probably drop to 225 in near future. Just too many health problems to continue with heavy weight.
    IRONLION LABS
    Quality HGH, Raws and Peptides
    Wickr: ironlionlabs

Click here**PLEASE READ THE RULES**

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Rep Points

At 65 I still squat but no more than 225, every time I increase weight I get hurt, so I've done the math and stay safe. I don't have to impress anyone at my age

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,852 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by SloJoe View Post
    At 65 I still squat but no more than 225, every time I increase weight I get hurt, so I've done the math and stay safe. I don't have to impress anyone at my age
    That's still darn good for 65.
    Show me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,852 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyPump77 View Post
    45 y.o.a. I do them if I have knee wraps. Otherwise my left knee for sure would prolly just blow out. My max was 515lbs@185ishlbs but I never trained hard for legs... Yeah I'm that guy...

about 5 months ago I was doing 305lbs but I could have pushed more but didn't want to chance it. After listening to the wisdom of many of you around here...it aint about how much you put up for a max at our age. It's about putting up good quality reps. So I backed off heavy everything except deadlifts at the time as I was training to beat a state record. I was on track as I had pulled 505lbs and had 6 months left to train to get to 575lbs. The record was for 40-45 yoa Male @205lbs in my state. That got sidelined when an old neck injury finally cut loose. I am now able to start lifting again but I have to get epidurals every few months and do PT/chiropractic care for the foreseeable future. So starting next Monday I get back at but prolly will give up on any record chasing. Not worth it in the long run...

To those that have neck pain/injuries get you a "Stingray" it clips on the bar fits like glove to your neck/traps etc... My neck injury is at c4,c5 c6 t1 and t2... So I need something to spread the weight out.

To all of you still pushing and giving your best I salute you!!!!!
    You mean a Manta Ray, I am considering purchasing one for myself as the "pussy pad" doesn't always help as my fracture is right where the bar would rest against.
    Show me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,518 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MindlessWork View Post
    You mean a Manta Ray, I am considering purchasing one for myself as the "pussy pad" doesn't always help as my fracture is right where the bar would rest against.
    I remember those being advertised in the Muscle-Mags as far back as I can remember (1980's).
    The Safety-SQ bar I got really helped with my shoulder and neck issues. Used it for the last year or two before the knee issues.
    Really helps. (With the upper-body issues).

My wife still uses it each weeks for squats, so my purchase at least isnt a waste. I hope to use it again one day soon, even for just 135 lbs with a wrapped knee.
    ~
    [[[[------------------]]]]

Carpet-Chewer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,070 Posts
    Rep Points

We got one for my wife awhile back. Bc she doesn't have a lot of "traps" for natural padding using the bar.

She hated it. It altered her squat too much and she prefers the padded roll we got.

We got it at Dicks sporting goods...so returning it wasn't an issue. No harm in giving it a try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    697 Posts
    Rep Points

That's it... going off memory.... but IO swear by it. No pain...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    697 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Augustine5I View Post
    We got one for my wife awhile back. Bc she doesn't have a lot of "traps" for natural padding using the bar.

She hated it. It altered her squat too much and she prefers the padded roll we got.

We got it at Dicks sporting goods...so returning it wasn't an issue. No harm in giving it a try.
    Yeah it def is made for men/w traps more than women. Sorry it didn't work out for her, but I swear by it. When I use it some know what it is but a lot do not. So I say" Here try it"... I have sold a few for sure. Company prolly owes me some royalties or something..lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    697 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Multislacking View Post
    The ones that do that are worthless. A good one will typically get you going in one visit. Snap and crack. Ask them if they are "hands on" or prefer to use equipment. You want the "hands on" ones. Or ask them if they are good at the "side position adjustment".
    I would say that depends on the actual issue. In my case there was no way one visit was going to cut it. It took 25 plus 2 epidurals before the pain was under control. But your point is valid in many cases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,852 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rot-Iron66 View Post
    I remember those being advertised in the Muscle-Mags as far back as I can remember (1980's).
    The Safety-SQ bar I got really helped with my shoulder and neck issues. Used it for the last year or two before the knee issues.
    Really helps. (With the upper-body issues).

My wife still uses it each weeks for squats, so my purchase at least isnt a waste. I hope to use it again one day soon, even for just 135 lbs with a wrapped knee.
    Thanks for that tip, I may also take a look at that Safety-SQ bar as well as hopefully will get to set up a gym in a large shed on my brother's gf's property. Praying I can get the shed purchased soon...
    Show me

ASF MVP
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12,010 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyPump77 View Post
    I would say that depends on the actual issue. In my case there was no way one visit was going to cut it. It took 25 plus 2 epidurals before the pain was under control. But your point is valid in many cases.
    Yeah, I meant for the "oops, my back slipped out" kind of stuff. Not disk deterioration, severe trauma, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Rep Points

I'm 53, and my squatting days are over. I spend a lot of time on the leg press machine doing different techniques. I pyramid, and on my lows, I end up at 820lbs at the top of my pyramid for three sets of 8, then I come down. Then I do high foot placement, and I will say, my ass is sore for days after that. Usually healed up in time for my second leg day in a week.