• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Do you old fuckers still squat?

I haven’t bb squatted in about 7 years. I don’t even put a smith bar across my back. My legs have had the most growth without a barbell. Hack squat, belt squat, leg press, with isolation exercises. In fact the only free weights I use are dumbbells and that’s incline and flat bench, biceps, tris, and rear delt flies and side raises. I don’t even touch barbells. If I could go back I never would.

I’m not quite in the over 40 club but I’m just curious how many of you gave up squatting? I’ve been having some troubles in the past 2 years with my upper back/shoulders and just holding the fucking bar on my back kills me.

I’m debating on going to physical therapy to see if they can help me or if I should just chalk it up as “fuck it, I’m getting too old for this”. I still have strong legs and can leg press a house, but squatting 405 is damn difficult for my upper body. What’s everyone’s thoughts?
If you have a safety bar I would suggest trying hatfield Squats.

It's the only free weight squat variation I do since I've got the same issues with mobility AND I can shift the load to target more of what I'm focused on that session.

I’m about to be 41 in a few weeks and I still squat, matter of fact, I love to squat. I used to dread squatting because it would wreak havoc on my knees, but I widened up my stance and got some sleeves and I’ve been golden ever since.

I am 62 and I still squat...last week I squatted 225x10 for 3 sets...my friend had both knees replaced 10 years ago and still squats up to 400 pounds and is 67...

I am 62 and I still squat...last week I squatted 225x10 for 3 sets...my friend had both knees replaced 10 years ago and still squats up to 400 pounds and is 67...

Squatting 400 after double knee replacement doesn't sound too smart too me, probably gonna bite him one day.

Squatting 400 after double knee replacement doesn't sound too smart too me, probably gonna bite him one day.
He is aware he is going to destroy both replacements but he has that powerlifter mentality of never quitting...

He is aware he is going to destroy both replacements but he has that powerlifter mentality of never quitting...
Should have him watch Dave Tates stuff on YouTube.

He's had double hip replacement and shares a ton of good info on training around such things.

He's also a coaching icon in the sport of power lifting. Old west side guy and so on

I has sepsis 2 years ago. Was in the hospital 44 days and lost 65 pounds.
I was squatting mid 400s before that and now I struggle to squat 3 plates. It hurts too much.
So I squat around 2 plates, sometimes heavier, but it's a real struggle. I'm 63.

IML Gear Cream!
I have to use the Hack squat machine which I can throw on some good weight to where I think I am doing something. Three left knee surgeries and a lot less cartilage in my knees now.

Never stop squatting even if its with 135lbs on a smith machine, you need to keep conditioned and squats are excellent fro total body conditioning ... at the very least use a foam roller against the wall and hold some bands or use DB for some resistance... think outside the box with me here. also stretch the hips and those glutes often.

Never stop squatting even if its with 135lbs on a smith machine, you need to keep conditioned and squats are excellent fro total body conditioning ... at the very least use a foam roller against the wall and hold some bands or use DB for some resistance... think outside the box with me here. also stretch the hips and those glutes often.

This. Don't end up being one of those elderly people that have to call the EMT's to come get you off the toilet. (It happens more than you think.)

Bro if it bothers you that much I personally wouldn’t do it . There are several different variations of the squat you could try and still get the same benefits imo !

Going to be 48 this year. Last workout squat 425 x 5 x 3. For me, it is important to squat for general strength - but i also make sure i recover from heavy workouts.

Last edited:
I’m 43 and box squat as much as I can, ATG squats hurts my knee to much but I can load up on box squats without pain.

54 and still squat. It certainly makes me want to puke more than other leg exercises.

51 and still straight bar squatting with lots of health problems, arthritis and past injuries. Progressively going down hill tho, 405 a few years, 315 up until recently. Probably drop to 225 in near future. Just too many health problems to continue with heavy weight.
Inspiring, REHH. I hope you are well.

I don’t even use free weights anymore, machines only. Here is a tidbit, Phil Heath while winning the Mr. O’s said he trained 90% on machines.

This! I’m 53 and use many machines in my program. Not because I can’t use free weights, but because I love machine work and feel great and get good results. Today I did heavy machine squats, 10 plates and deep. If I tried that with a barbell I’d break in half. I did see a 40’s+ single leg amputee doing squats today. Much respect for that guy and motivated the hell out of me.

Can I? Sure. Do I? No. I listen to my body. I've never had any major injuries due to knowing my body. I'm into overall fitness and wellness these days. Yeah I still dip the tip in some test but nothing like I did 25yrs ago. I maintain a nice 230-235 these days. Warmer weather down to 225. Low body fat. I don't do deadlifts anymore either. But I can

Get Shredded!
So it looks like the consensus is, when you start getting weaker you ditch stuff so you can use more weight on a machine......

Nobody sees the irony in this?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Arnold

"I don’t even use free weights anymore, machines only. Here is a tidbit, Phil Heath while winning the Mr. O’s said he trained 90% on machines".

Here's another tidbit, most people aren't Phil Health...
Workouts on machines only - youre sitting on your ass the entire time. No thanks...
Of course I love SOME and they do have their place.

I still squat at 62. Have always practiced good form and have taken care of my back. If I kneel, I always use pads.There may ba an advantage to using a leg press after warming up on a stationary bike, but you got to square as long as you can. I live in FL. and watching older folks trying to get up from a chair is sad. Keep on squatting !

So it looks like the consensus is, when you start getting weaker you ditch stuff so you can use more weight on a machine......

Nobody sees the irony in this?

It isn't a matter of getting weaker. Its a matter of getting smarter with older age. I don't think that was a fair statement.

It isn't a matter of getting weaker. Its a matter of getting smarter with older age. I don't think that was a fair statement.
Well, it is a matter of getting weaker.

Your point of getting smarter though, yes.

If guys are moving from compound lifts to machines because they are easier on the body, that's fair and makes sense IF joint issues or previous injuries require it.

If you're moving from a barbell squat to a Smith squat or machine squat simply because you're chasing numbers or, previous loads are causing issues, then you pull the weight back like HF03 has said in his posts above. You can make 185 on a barbell WAY harder with pause reps, half reps, slow eccentrics then 300 on a machine and, you're still not subjecting yourself to the overall load on your back.

This goes for anyone who isn't chasing progressive overload in a hope to build more muscle.

Robot reps until form gives out then your finished.

I squat almost every day at the beginning of each workout and move up to no less than 500lbs. I'm 52 and I wrap my knees at 405lbs. and up. Never had a knee problems and I don't use a belt.

57 and I start warm up with 4 sets of 12 front squat followed by 4 sets of regular squats at 135 pounds. Slow, all the way down between 12 to 15 reps. No need to pile on tons of weights. Never had any injuries.

I'm over 50 and still go heavy on the squats. People are all different and some lose it earlier. In my 40's I still went full ANIMAL on the iron. As heavy and as many reps as possible, more than in my 20's. I'm still as strong, if not stronger and injury free.
If you can do it, fucking DO IT! If you can't, DON'T!

Only squat I'll do now is when I'm tea bagging my wife. I'll squat to drop my sack in her mouth for sure

I still do squats. I use a smith machine because e that’s what I have in my gym and currently squat 270. I can use a free bar but would have to work back up. Not sure where I would start though. Any input?

Back