Internet Goddess
    ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,066 Posts
    Rep Points

Amazon boosts average starting pay to $18 an hour for 125,000 new hires

Amazon said on Tuesday it is boosting its average starting wage to $18 an hour for 125,000 new hires in the U.S., in jobs in transportation and fulfillment. Some locations are also offering sign-on bonuses of up to $3,000.

The new jobs may pay up to $22.50 an hour in some locations, Amazon said. The roles also provide full-time workers with health, vision and dental insurance, as well as a 401(k) and up to 20 weeks paid parental leave. The retailer earlier this month said it will pay full college tuition for its 750,000 U.S. hourly employees starting in January.

Source: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-...ting-pay-wage/
    PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,507 Posts
    Rep Points

My son-in-law worked at the massive warehouse they built in Spokane. He started at $15/hour and their trick was to work him slightly less than 40 hours so as not to pay certain benefits, whatever that number is. (It was 32 hrs/week in Kalifornia iirc.)
    He said the conditions there were terrible and the morale super low, especially for a new operation.

Now, I take that with a grain of salt as I see he is very lazy and seems to find a way out of everything. Nice guy, great father and husband so I’m pleased with that. But probably won’t amount to much, sadly.

I think Amazon might be the equivalent of a fast food job with that higher pay everyone seems to be whining about. At least perhaps there is room for growth…or better things…with Amazon for movers and shakers?

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,200 Posts
    Rep Points

I don't see any white ppl driving those vans around

ASF MVP
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11,156 Posts
    Rep Points

South Park nails it as usual...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,743 Posts
    Rep Points

There's an Amazon distro center that was built near me and it's crazy with all those Prime vans all over the place. Amazon may become the new fast food type job considering fast food joints are becoming increasingly automated so there will be few jobs in that industry.

My nephew applied for a job there and didn't hear back yet.
    Show me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,507 Posts
    Rep Points

If he approaches it right, your nephew can learn a lot about bad leadership and de-personalization of subordinates working there methinks.

I value my terrible leaders as well as the good ones from my Navy career because I learned a lot from both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,743 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CoachCabo View Post
    If he approaches it right, your nephew can learn a lot about bad leadership and de-personalization of subordinates working there methinks.

I value my terrible leaders as well as the good ones from my Navy career because I learned a lot from both.
    Good point as my nephew will be 19 in a few months and will be working in the warehouse itself. I have warned him about things like that however.
    Show me

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts
    Rep Points

Amazon in a decade will probably be the biggest employer unless they go completely robotic.
    That's good pay for working in a warehouse or driving.
    Might need an application

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CoachCabo View Post
    My son-in-law worked at the massive warehouse they built in Spokane. He started at $15/hour and their trick was to work him slightly less than 40 hours so as not to pay certain benefits, whatever that number is. (It was 32 hrs/week in Kalifornia iirc.)
    He said the conditions there were terrible and the morale super low, especially for a new operation.

Now, I take that with a grain of salt as I see he is very lazy and seems to find a way out of everything. Nice guy, great father and husband so I’m pleased with that. But probably won’t amount to much, sadly.

I think Amazon might be the equivalent of a fast food job with that higher pay everyone seems to be whining about. At least perhaps there is room for growth…or better things…with Amazon for movers and shakers?
    Youre kinda a dick dad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,507 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CompoundLifts31 View Post
    Youre kinda a dick dad
    Lol! He’s not my son. He’s my son-in-law. Totally different standard. If I tellmy friends what’s cureently going on with him, their immediate response is “What a dick, loser move!” referring to him, not me. He was gifted a great albeit physically difficult job by a family member. He claimed carpal-tunnel two months in, took two months off then went back for a week and then applied three months maternity leave, or whatever it’s called. Now that family member who stuck out their neck for him has egg on their face in the same company AND as the HR person needs to fill that postition until he comes back…and then is proptly shit canned by my estimation.

My son got his EMT certificate, worked enough to get experience and find out the pay is shit, went back to Starbuck’s where he makes excellent pay/benefits and is closing in on his degree in accounting. Also starts police academy in February.

So if that’s being a dick of a dad, I wear the purple veins and helmet head proudly.

”Everyone likes honesty. Until you you are honest with them. Then you are an asshole.”- George Carlin