Anybody else noticing a food shortage starting?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Twat Waffle Inspector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,512 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Multislacking View Post
    Thanks. This story fit the actual shortages we ARE seeing so well, it was easily believable. Still can't find my taco bell fire sauce locally. We went from one stop for groceries to a minimum two stops. And we still typically can't find at least one or two items and they stay on the list until next time. It's almost like "rolling blackout" type shortages.

I know you said prices hadn't really gone up where you're at, but meat prices have skyrocketed. I stopped off to pick up some thawed ground beef the other night and it was over $16 for a "heavy" two pound package...actual cost was just shy of $7 a pound. And it was 80/20. My brain immediately went into old man rant mode and "I used to by T Bones for less than this!!!" Egg whites are up exactly $1 from a year ago where I'm at. There's definitely some fuckery going on.
    I steal handfuls of this shit whenever I get a chance. My supplies getting low but next time I go in taco hell Iíll be sure to get you some.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ďTape on a dick you twat waffleĒ - IronRage & Dale C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,470 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Milford King View Post
    I steal handfuls of this shit whenever I get a chance. My supplies getting low but next time I go in taco hell Iíll be sure to get you some.
    That one is pretty good. The ďDiabloĒ which is I suppose mas picoso, tastes terrible.

ASF MVP
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11,022 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CoachCabo View Post

I have noticed whey, especially isolate, is out for many of the brands I buy. I went to buy some stuff from Gaspari and every product I wanted was out.
    This too! I went from $80 for 10 pounds to $55 for 5 pounds. Companies are dropping the big bags at discount. The 5 pounders went from low $40's to mid 50's. I'm now on my 3rd brand because I can't get my preferred brand/flavor, backup choice, or my backup backup choice. Pathetic.

The wife's 2 pound isolate went from low $30's a year ago to $47 this last order. And I *am* bargain shopping. Again, fuckery is happening.

ASF MVP
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11,022 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Milford King View Post
    Not gonna lie...one packet is about one bite for me. Fire sauce makes my cooking edible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    489 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CoachCabo View Post
    I didnít watch the video but farmers DO destroy crops, pour milk down the drain, etc. to recieve ďsubsidiesĒ, which really are just incentives to be non-productive. This is one way the market is controlled by the government.

I personally know a guy who bought a 40 acre pear farm on the Sacramento Delta just because he wanted a house with no neighbors. He got an agriculture loan from Uncle Sam thathe never intended to pay back as it doesnít require repayment until he sells the farm.
    Along with water rights, which are a big deal in Kalifornia, he got something like $100k a year if the farm failed.
    He let the fruit rot on the tree and fall but soon the place was a disgusting mess of flies and stench.
    He hired a bunch of farm hands and to his dismay, started grooming and caring for his trees. Next thing he knows, he is one of the biggest single farmer producers of Bosc pears. He had a contract with DelMonte to take all he could produce.
    When he died in around 2005, his farm hands had made enough money to buy their own farm. The American Dream realized for these immigrants.

I have noticed whey, especially isolate, is out for many of the brands I buy. I went to buy some stuff from Gaspari and every product I wanted was out.

The biggest thing I have noticed on my recent travels across the states is the lack of servers, cooks and such at restaurants. Four out of five fast food places we stopped at on the road were ďdrive thru onlyĒ.

Life in the USA is definitely not normal or better than the past.
    People got tired of being treated like garbage and working for unlivable wages is the service industry. I donít blame anyone for not wanting to work in most restaurants. They work in shit conditions for poverty wages. Ive noticed most places having to raise their wages and give incentives as well as improve working conditions. Most of these people felt forced to stay in these jobs until they couldnít abd then they found out they could do better things and had options. Iíd say as far as that goes itís an improvement. I donít care about traditional or normal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,470 Posts
    Rep Points

These people in shit jobs did indeed find better things. Itís called unemployment with a huge kicker. As I understand it, that has or is about to run out. We shall see what happens when it does.

If someone doesnít like their job, there is the freedom to find a new vocation. My experience is that people ďtrappedĒ in shit jobs only stay there because it requires effort to get a better job. Either through education, increasing oneís employability or learning to keep your phone in the car while at work and make complete sentences without talking to your feet.

But complaining about ďthe manĒ and everyone else without accepting responsibility for oneís own path is way easier.

I had one of those Gunney R. Lee Ermey action figures. When you pushed the button he said ďYou are the asshole in charge of your own destiny!Ē

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,566 Posts
    Rep Points

Just my .02. Extra unemployment and the eviction moratorium ended to force people to go back to work because of the Vax mandate. Can't force people to get the Vax while they're at home.

Carpet-Chewer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,981 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bft84 View Post
    People got tired of being treated like garbage and working for unlivable wages is the service industry. I donít blame anyone for not wanting to work in most restaurants. They work in shit conditions for poverty wages. Ive noticed most places having to raise their wages and give incentives as well as improve working conditions. Most of these people felt forced to stay in these jobs until they couldnít abd then they found out they could do better things and had options. Iíd say as far as that goes itís an improvement. I donít care about traditional or normal
    Non skilled workers will get paid what the market will bear.

If companies have to pay more, expect to see this cost passed on to those purchasing the goods/services.

If ppl won't pay the extra cost for said goods/services, the business fails. And the employee loses his/her job.

The employer loses his life savings...the employee simply moves along to another unskilled job.

That seem about right? That seem fair?

With all the risk goes all the reward.

An unskilled worker has every right to find work at fair wages and in good working conditions. But far easier to find these things when you take the time to improve your resume.

I mean, just how much can a person expect out of a "bus boy" position at his/her local restaurant. Let's be real.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    489 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Augustine5I View Post

If companies have to pay more, expect to see this cost passed on to those purchasing the goods/services.

If ppl won't pay the extra cost for said goods/services, the business fails. And the employee loses his/her job.

The employer loses his life savings...the employee simply moves along to another unskilled job.

An unskilled worker has every right to find work at fair wages and in good working conditions. But far easier to find these things when you take the time to improve your resume.

I mean, just how much can a person expect out of a "bus boy" position at his/her local restaurant. Let's be real.
    theres no such thing as fair and unfair. Iíd say customer service, cooking, managing, etc is a skill. The market will dictate if a business thrives or goes under. With people complaining about not being able to eat fast food or at restaurants Iíd say these workers are more essential than we give them credit for. Whoís to say what a career is and isnít. If youíve got a good employee and you want to keep them you pay them. If you canít afford to keep them then they move on to better opportunities within their chosen field. Iím being very real. As far as a busboy position or dish washer position try and run a restaurant without them. Without employees a business will not work. Now people are realizing the power is in the hands of the workers. If you canít afford to pay them a livable wage then someone else will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,566 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Augustine5I View Post

This is really getting retarded. They seem to think prices won't rise. We're coming off of killing small businesses. Now they have to pay for covid tests weekly. Now they want 20.00hr and think prices won't go up. Yeah because things have been so great they'll just eat the cost. Wtf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,708 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime916 View Post
    This is really getting retarded. They seem to think prices won't rise. We're coming off of killing small businesses. Now they have to pay for covid tests weekly. Now they want 20.00hr and think prices won't go up. Yeah because things have been so great they'll just eat the cost. Wtf
    Yes restaurants and retailers WILL raise prices and reduce staff. Automation is also on the rise as well, where in many restaurants people will place their orders using a tablet as they will have few servers.
    Show me

Carpet-Chewer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,981 Posts
    Rep Points

theres no such thing as fair and unfair. Iíd say customer service, cooking, managing, etc is a skill. The market will dictate if a business thrives or goes under. With people complaining about not being able to eat fast food or at restaurants Iíd say these workers are more essential than we give them credit for. Whoís to say what a career is and isnít. If youíve got a good employee and you want to keep them you pay them. If you canít afford to keep them then they move on to better opportunities within their chosen field. Iím being very real. As far as a busboy position or dish washer position try and run a restaurant without them. Without employees a business will not work. Now people are realizing the power is in the hands of the workers. If you canít afford to pay them a livable wage then someone else will.
    I am guessing you never owned or ran a business.

Not trying to be disrespectful bro, but you seem to only be looking at it from the "worker" side of things.

Being a bus boy isn't a career.

I know you are smart enough to distinguish a skilled and unskilled worker. Someone who went to school and got a license to work at a job compared to someone who did on the job training for two days.

There's a big difference and the pay is a big difference too.

And not saying unskilled workers aren't needed or shouldn't be treated fairly. But there is a limit to what one can expect to make per year when you work as a bus boy.

ASF MVP
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11,022 Posts
    Rep Points

sniff, sniff....smells like union talk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Community Veteran
    ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,175 Posts
    Rep Points

From a practical perspective having food, water and supplies on hand just plain makes sense.

Imagine you get Covid and you are quarantined for weeks. No problem because you have secured 15 days worth of everything already. Maybe its a storm or power outage. I can think of a dozen reasons to have extra supplies on hand.

If you haven't already go stock up on extras.

All posts are for entertainment and may contain fiction. Consult a medical doctor before using any medications or supplements. Heavyiron does not advocate any illegal activity.
    Read the Rules Please

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,358 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by XOTG85 View Post
    The only ppl that aren't suffering are the ones on food stamps with 3-5 kids. Food prices go up I'm sure their stamps do as well.
    The Republicans in 2018 passed a law (Trump signed) directing the USDA to look at adjusting prices for this program. Biden in August adjusted them by 25%, the largest increase in history.

https://www.usnews.com/news/business...-by-25-percent