question about investing

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,566 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron View Post
    Rents are still being covered by ERAP. They go back as far as April 2020 and if you qualify they pay your utilities also. I have been following the rental market for over 30 years and never have I seen this much rental assistance. Its an insane amount of $$$
    If that's the case we might as well quit and do the same. Wtf?

Gym Derelict

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,168 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime916 View Post
    You really believe that? The market is down 400 points right now. How long can we keep this all up? People have to now pay rent and the house payment.
    I think I get what you are saying about rent and house prices.

Last month rent went up 10 basis points which is .1% and equals 1.2% annual inflation which is quite low.

As to home prices go up that is cause and effect of cheap money, or low interest rates. If interest rates go up then value of homes most likely go down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,566 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Foursome View Post
    I think I get what you are saying about rent and house prices.

Last month rent went up 10 basis points which is .1% and equals 1.2% annual inflation which is quite low.

As to home prices go up that is cause and effect of cheap money, or low interest rates. If interest rates go up then value of homes most likely go down.
    What I'm trying to say is people have been given money to help pay their bills. They quit jobs and bought toys. Now the eviction moratorium has been lifted. The rent is due and mortgage payments are also due now. There are some states allowing people to still not pay but for the most part most have to pay up. The extra unemployment is now gone.

We were at a shopping center last week and several stores were closed or were closing early. They had signs saying due to lack of employees this is what's happening. Now these are more first time jobs for people. But now they're paying 18hr to start with sign on bonuses. We spoke to a employee that said still no applications.

Now add fuel being up 1.00 a gallon in just a year. Rent through the roof and home prices high as ever. Add in food prices and everyday items and I just can't see how this gets better. Now throw gas on the fire with vaccine mandates and employer covid testing. Like these businesses haven't had it hard enough going through covid. Now they have to pay for covid tests? And try to find vaxed employees when they're already short on labor. I just don't see this ending well.

Sorry for the long winded reply. Just my .02.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    686 Posts
    Rep Points

What I'm trying to say is people have been given money to help pay their bills. They quit jobs and bought toys. Now the eviction moratorium has been lifted. The rent is due and mortgage payments are also due now. There are some states allowing people to still not pay but for the most part most have to pay up. The extra unemployment is now gone.

We were at a shopping center last week and several stores were closed or were closing early. They had signs saying due to lack of employees this is what's happening. Now these are more first time jobs for people. But now they're paying 18hr to start with sign on bonuses. We spoke to a employee that said still no applications.

Now add fuel being up 1.00 a gallon in just a year. Rent through the roof and home prices high as ever. Add in food prices and everyday items and I just can't see how this gets better. Now throw gas on the fire with vaccine mandates and employer covid testing. Like these businesses haven't had it hard enough going through covid. Now they have to pay for covid tests? And try to find vaxed employees when they're already short on labor. I just don't see this ending well.

You aint wrong, this is going to end very badly. Medical costs will sky rocket over the next few years. Forcing bankruptcies like never before... Many nurses are checking out/retiring early. I am in school half way and as soon as I can I will become a travel nurse. There nurses making 3 to 10k a week. I plan on killing myself for 3 to 5 years working and then retiring if that keeps up... but who knows...my luck I will graduate and they will pass a law limiting how much I can make or some shit...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,566 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyPump77 View Post
    You aint wrong, this is going to end very badly. Medical costs will sky rocket over the next few years. Forcing bankruptcies like never before... Many nurses are checking out/retiring early. I am in school half way and as soon as I can I will become a travel nurse. There nurses making 3 to 10k a week. I plan on killing myself for 3 to 5 years working and then retiring if that keeps up... but who knows...my luck I will graduate and they will pass a law limiting how much I can make or some shit...
    The uncertainty is across the board. Everything I thought would never happen is happening. It's very hard to predict the future at this point. I wish you the best of luck and also hope the money I've saved is still worth something in the years to come lol.

Gym Derelict

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,168 Posts
    Rep Points

Nah you're good.

I see some of the items you mention and I agree.

My wife was telling me when she was a child her dad got laid off. Her mom told her dad you need to get signed up for unemployment.

He said no way, because back in the day it was shameful and humiliating to even apply for it.

Now, everyone wants a handout and not work for it.

Low self esteem and no pride in the American work force anymore and I am disgusted by it.

If anything, that last paragraph will be what will sink this country.

Twat Waffle Inspector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,512 Posts
    Rep Points

I bet things would get better if we fired our elected officials and made them get real jobs and live like we have to. Even if that didn’t make things better it would make me feel better seeing these pretentious fucks begging blue collar workers to help them learn how to be human and survive.

did I ever tell you guys how much I hate politicians and Hollywood celebrities? Cuz it’s a lot.
    “Tape on a dick you twat waffle” - IronRage & Dale C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,031 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Milford King View Post
    I bet things would get better if we fired our elected officials and made them get real jobs and live like we have to. Even if that didn’t make things better it would make me feel better seeing these pretentious fucks begging blue collar workers to help them learn how to be human and survive.

did I ever tell you guys how much I hate politicians and Hollywood celebrities? Cuz it’s a lot.
    Your onto something milfy. Don't stop there.
    ASF : Anabolic Stink Finger

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Rep Points

Musk tweeted a photo of his puppy named Floki. Since then, Shiba Floki coin has grown by 520%

We provide DOMESTIC shipping within USA
    Drugsgear.com
    contact me Dgear@protonmail.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,358 Posts
    Rep Points

So its obvious the economy is imploding. What are you guys doing with your money?

I'm guessing the dollar will be significantly worth less in the coming months.

I can see the logic in land, crypto and metals but curious what you guys think.
    The same thing I was doing before - investing a set percentage of income in low expense ratio index funds. It makes sense to hold shares of companies that produce things, which are likely to go up as inflation goes up. I have not changed my investing strategy.

Land produces nothing (unless its a farm) but has costs in the form of taxes and interest if you took a loan. Crypto is way too volatile, and I think the risk is uncompensated. While it is easy to point out, hey, your should have poured all of your wealth, everything into Bitcoin in 2017, investing does not look backwards but forwards, and whether it goes up or down over the next several years is anybody's guess. Metals? Eh, I'd rather own shares in companies that use commodities to produce things than own the commodities themselves.

Community Veteran
    ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,174 Posts
    Rep Points

Iran

The Iranian news agency Fares reports that according to the central bank's reports, the annual inflation rate in the country (as of August) has reached 58%!

This is the highest rate of inflation in Iran since the beginning of the Islamic Revolution in Iran (in 1974, Iran recorded an annual inflation rate of 49%, which was the highest until the current year. A new record was broken).

All posts are for entertainment and may contain fiction. Consult a medical doctor before using any medications or supplements. Heavyiron does not advocate any illegal activity.
    Read the Rules Please

In my truck with her size 7 bare feet against the windshield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts
    Rep Points

Crazy to still see reloading supplies are out of stock. Buying primers or powder is tough right now.
    My local gun store owner "Bill" (as I'll call him) keeps me posted on ammo as well as I do him when I have close vet friends call me with bulk ammo that needs buying i.e. .556/.223, .45, 9mm.30-30.
    I'm currently having him custom build me a 10.5 .556 pistol in his gun shop.

Started investing into some crypto as I'm happy for the apps so I can buy in on as much as needed in rotation of things. Compared to the past when you had to dump a minimum of $2500 to a broker
    (either individually or in a group format). I missed out on getting my hands on some bitcoin several years back. I literally could be retired right now but I'm not missing the boat this time.
    ENGINEERED TO SPEC! BUILT TO LAST!

In my truck with her size 7 bare feet against the windshield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts
    Rep Points

Also too, how do we avoid the takeover that Robinhood did to a lot of common investors that were on the verge of becoming millionaires?
    ENGINEERED TO SPEC! BUILT TO LAST!

Carpet-Chewer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,981 Posts
    Rep Points

Iran

The Iranian news agency Fares reports that according to the central bank's reports, the annual inflation rate in the country (as of August) has reached 58%!

This is the highest rate of inflation in Iran since the beginning of the Islamic Revolution in Iran (in 1974, Iran recorded an annual inflation rate of 49%, which was the highest until the current year. A new record was broken).
    And the poor get poorer