• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 🩺Muscle Gelz® HUMANOGEN® - Powered by Ibutamoren® Increases Growth Hormone! (Transdermal - No Injecting!)🏥

Pets

Most current guy here... Have had other breeds over the years but pits and bulldogs are my #1 go-to. They get a negative view by most in the general public but it's all in how you raise them. If you neglect them and fight them, ECT...then yes they are going to be vicious and out of control. Raise and treat them right, great dogs and very loving. Just don't break into my house..once he grabs on you will have to shoot him or stab him in the eye lol.
f5be017c92cf92264e5a3159730207c8.jpg
fe1a172a84a08597005812f7068e9e35.jpg

BIG UP to all the members that shared their pets and background stories. I feel all of ya'll on the love, the loss, and then some. I've been an avid volunteer at shelters for 2 decades and tend to pick the aggressive or bite case k9s bc they'll be put down. I've managed to rescue and rehabilitate 27 of 30 K9s. Mostly bullies.

When I hit the service my affinity as a K9 handler shifted to the GSD and Belgian. It's kinda nuts to think a dog is smart enough to trust you to strap him to your chest and HALO Jump at 30K

However, upon return, I required a service dog- So I have a GSD/Golden Retriever that comes everywhere with me, but I picked up this other guy about a year ago and you can see how fast he grew. The bed in the pic is a queen (for size reference), turned out to be a hybrid. So here are some shots of all my kingdoms species.

I have a heart for all animals, so here is part of the crazy cornball crew!! Don't judge!
5b19938b8ee2f42f555d2be881735884.jpg

391b4c7fa41f74fae406bd9366412447.jpg

be888c006babba41121776a952e969dc.jpg

57c00ac90092f6177dcd0f4a7eb9584b.jpg

f5cf66d9987fc781e83bf5c8f205543c.jpg

73e5417ea9e9ff282aaad58ea5a650a4.jpg

5fcba4e6916590f2d7972f15fbe7b46a.jpg

caceeb4247aabd33406824fc19fa81f3.jpg

You might have your hands full with a hybrid in the mix..
They go thru some strange stages..not like dogs a all..

The first 8 to 12 months they are scared of everything..
Then one day..like a light switch...the want to Kill everything..thats a huge challenge..
But around yr 3 they start to calm and find themselves..

Get ready to be totally blow away..Once you get a Wolf-hybrid..nothing else compares..
Too damn smart..for one..trained mine at yr 2 with a shock collar..best thing if you need Jim off-leash..

I had a racoon as a teenager. Was super cool until it wasn’t. Got vicious at about 8 months.
When I was single I bred snakes and lizards. Had between 300-400 animals at one time. A year prior to moving to Mexico I had a trio of albino Western Diamondbacks and a Cyclura iguana, all of which I gave up because I thought I couldn’t take them down with me.

I also gave up my Red Fronted Macaw for the same reason and that I seriously regret. I put a lot of time into him from a chick, teaching him to free fly and return, not be mean and tolerate strangers. He was never destructive and aside from being LOUD, he was a perfect bird.

Over about a 12 year period I collected unwanted parrots and found homes for them. Some came to me as real sad stories so I feel blessed to have been able to help them.

We have had as many as five dogs at a time but all got old (a 20 y/o Jack Russell!) and we are down to one now.

I rescued a crocodile from certain death at the hands of a local teenager who bought him on a whim. Unfortunately he died of an infection a couple years later…before he gotto big to handle.

We now just have an 18 y/o Italian Greyhound and a Sonoran Desert Tortoise our vet gave me. She was the size of a ping pong ball when we got her. Now she’s about 8” across.

Attachments

• 7F2936EA-6CA0-4748-87C3-53F1E8F7F19B.jpeg
    7F2936EA-6CA0-4748-87C3-53F1E8F7F19B.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 13
  • EB073A3A-03B8-44BB-977A-DF89F22DB984.jpeg
    EB073A3A-03B8-44BB-977A-DF89F22DB984.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 12534169-7686-419B-A5F9-D9ED2AF15EA3.jpeg
    12534169-7686-419B-A5F9-D9ED2AF15EA3.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 13

Then one day..like a light switch...the want to Kill everything..thats a huge challenge..

Get ready to be totally blow away..Once you get a Wolf-hybrid..nothing else compares..
Too damn smart..for one..trained mine at yr 2 with a shock collar..best thing if you need Jim off-leash..

Yeah he's a handful, but I've been working with K9s for 20+ years mostly aggressives, I was a K9 Trainer/Handler for USG, and I actively volunteer any extra time on a wolf preserve which allowed me a wealthy education. You're right though the hybrid aren't for first time dog owners nor weak handed folks. What other K9 sees you digging and just starts helping??? Lol.

How'd the shocker work? I haven't leashed any my dogs once past whatever issues they were having. The prey drive is there but I think integrating him into the pack as a pup with female alphas helped curtail that and help him learn how to "act"

I had a racoon as a teenager. Was super cool until it wasn’t. Got vicious at about 8 months.
When I was single I bred snakes and lizards. Had between 300-400 animals at one time. A year prior to moving to Mexico I had a trio of albino Western Diamondbacks and a Cyclura iguana, all of which I gave up because I thought I couldn’t take them down with me.

I also gave up my Red Fronted Macaw for the same reason and that I seriously regret. I put a lot of time into him from a chick, teaching him to free fly and return, not be mean and tolerate strangers. He was never destructive and aside from being LOUD, he was a perfect bird.

Over about a 12 year period I collected unwanted parrots and found homes for them. Some came to me as real sad stories so I feel blessed to have been able to help them.

We have had as many as five dogs at a time but all got old (a 20 y/o Jack Russell!) and we are down to one now.

I rescued a crocodile from certain death at the hands of a local teenager who bought him on a whim. Unfortunately he died of an infection a couple years later…before he gotto big to handle.

We now just have an 18 y/o Italian Greyhound and a Sonoran Desert Tortoise our vet gave me. She was the size of a ping pong ball when we got her. Now she’s about 8” across.

Tortoise!! That's word!

My friend had same dog in our childhood. I was ever so scared to be around her. There was a feeling that she would attack me any moment.
Most current guy here... Have had other breeds over the years but pits and bulldogs are my #1 go-to. They get a negative view by most in the general public but it's all in how you raise them. If you neglect them and fight them, ECT...then yes they are going to be vicious and out of control. Raise and treat them right, great dogs and very loving. Just don't break into my house..once he grabs on you will have to shoot him or stab him in the eye lol.
f5be017c92cf92264e5a3159730207c8.jpg
fe1a172a84a08597005812f7068e9e35.jpg

I have never owned any unusual pets. The crocodile is cool, but it must be difficult to care for him and, besides, replies can’t be tamed.

I didn't choose the unusual pets; I had the opportunity in 5th grade to look after a Rosy Red Tarrantula for spring break. My dad went ape shit. So I had nothing but reptiles and amphibians and the family dog until I was 17. Exotics are easier to care than you'd think.

Get Shredded!
Reptiles, namely lizards, crocodilians and tortoises can definitely be trained and tamed. Snakes can become conditioned but some times this is bad. Like when cobras get used to you and stop hooding. Hooding is when they are the most predictable and easiest to handle.
Tortoises can be as tame as a dog, coming when called and wanting to be part of the family.

I've used the shock collar after regular leash training..mainly to give Gab more freedom..I use the ones with vibrate..tone and shock..all of which can be adjusted..They have gone way done in price..and work really well once the animal starts to understand whats going on..Plus with an Off-leash animal in public it's a safety back-up..if something goes sideways..as it often does

@ ready on deck; bro that is one of the most beautiful dogs I’ve ever seen… the husky or Belgian mix there. That’s right up my alley. I love my gsd/husky mix. You ever check out the NAID breed? I love smart and loving dogs and my boy is both. He’s 3 now and I miss him everyday I’m at work can’t imagine losing him. He waits for me at the end of the drive and literally walks my truck to where I park it and patiently waits for me to exit the vehicle and give him some luvins.

@ coach; my dad had a pet raccoon when I was really young. He had to let it back out in the wild after it bit the tip of his index finger in two. His finger never healed and there’s a gap missing and his finger nail doesn’t grow on that finger. They are related to the bear family but definitely get aggressive. And there penis bone (bacalum) was/is used as a “lucky charm” and/or a toothpick by them good ol boys in the Appalachian and south. Lol

I didn't choose the unusual pets; I had the opportunity in 5th grade to look after a Rosy Red Tarrantula for spring break. My dad went ape shit. So I had nothing but reptiles and amphibians and the family dog until I was 17. Exotics are easier to care than you'd think.
I understand your father, as I am an arachnophobe. For me, a spider is not a pet, but a nightmare

Reptiles, namely lizards, crocodilians and tortoises can definitely be trained and tamed. Snakes can become conditioned but some times this is bad. Like when cobras get used to you and stop hooding. Hooding is when they are the most predictable and easiest to handle.
Tortoises can be as tame as a dog, coming when called and wanting to be part of the family.
I never heard about this before, I could not even think that a turtle can be tamed and it is social to people. Plus, do cobras really stop hooding because they feel you are the part of their family?

I understand your father, as I am an arachnophobe. For me, a spider is not a pet, but a nightmare

Haha. I got you Bro. However, I wasn't aware at the time that he hates anything living that has no legs! After that it was Boas, Pythons, and the likes there of. I think the 10ft Columbian Boa did him in. And he's definitely a hard ass.

I have never owned any unusual pets. The crocodile is cool, but it must be difficult to care for him and, besides, replies can’t be tamed.

I defintely dknt live in the sticks, but a couple years ago some guy was keeping his alligator in the bathtub! Uh, what do you do? Takes a whore's bath in lieu of said carnivore? I feel like people think it's going never grow... Then OOPS!

@ ready on deck; bro that is one of the most beautiful dogs I’ve ever seen… the husky or Belgian mix there. That’s right up my alley. I love my gsd/husky mix. You ever check out the NAID breed? I love smart and loving dogs and my boy is both. He’s 3 now and I miss him everyday I’m at work can’t imagine losing him. He waits for me at the end of the drive and literally walks my truck to where I park it and patiently waits for me to exit the vehicle and give him some luvins.

@ coach; my dad had a pet raccoon when I was really young. He had to let it back out in the wild after it bit the tip of his index finger in two. His finger never healed and there’s a gap missing and his finger nail doesn’t grow on that finger. They are related to the bear family but definitely get aggressive. And there penis bone (bacalum) was/is used as a “lucky charm” and/or a toothpick by them good ol boys in the Appalachian and south. Lol

Sincerely thank you for the compliment! He's a Wolf Hybrid and is amazing. Hes not overly aggressive but the shear stature speaks for itself; I.e."Don't come in my house." My brindle is 50% AKC GSD and 50% Golden Retriever - she's service K9.

I feel your pain about working bc I've been by her side literally everyday for almost 8 years. She helps coping with certain situations or memories. BUT if I leave her home? Unlocks the deadbolt and then latch then opens the door as wide as possible and goes back to laying on the couch. I've resulted to tying a pc power cable to the latch (knob) and my railing to keep her from being a wise ass.

Also if you like tech, check out FURBO on Amazon. You can talk, listen, deal a treat, and get notified for barking howling people detection movement crying.. It's awesome. And you can holler at em. And they are mad confused.

I never heard about this before, I could not even think that a turtle can be tamed and it is social to people. Plus, do cobras really stop hooding because they feel you are the part of their family?
A tortoise, certainly. Not sure about a turtle. In Spanish they are the same word, “tortuga” but far from the same type of animal.

Perhaps you misread me but I said snakes can be conditioned, meaning to responses of handlers and keepers. I have never seen a “trained” snake. They certainly don’t ever become part of the family. Anyone who thinks so is delusional.
Cobras hood as a first defense. When they have been around handlers some don’t bother hooding, they will go right to striking and biting. My first exposure to these snakes was with a massive Egyptian Banded cobra that never hooded. Vicious.

My buddies

My Spaniel passed last year.

LowT

Attachments

• B4ED9A88-3113-4EC5-B208-9AA640376F99.jpeg
    B4ED9A88-3113-4EC5-B208-9AA640376F99.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 3C1E980D-75B8-43CE-B1BF-D93D7BB40786.jpeg
    3C1E980D-75B8-43CE-B1BF-D93D7BB40786.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 15
And a cat for my girls…

LowT

Attachments

• D666629D-25B3-4A76-A0B6-77C2D3996A36.jpeg
    D666629D-25B3-4A76-A0B6-77C2D3996A36.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 14
  • C6E4B5E4-8B43-449C-9BD7-432874D864CE.jpeg
    C6E4B5E4-8B43-449C-9BD7-432874D864CE.jpeg
    612.7 KB · Views: 14
Haha. I got you Bro. However, I wasn't aware at the time that he hates anything living that has no legs! After that it was Boas, Pythons, and the likes there of. I think the 10ft Columbian Boa did him in. And he's definitely a hard ass.

He must have loved you more than he hated these critters lol

A tortoise, certainly. Not sure about a turtle. In Spanish they are the same word, “tortuga” but far from the same type of animal.

Perhaps you misread me but I said snakes can be conditioned, meaning to responses of handlers and keepers. I have never seen a “trained” snake. They certainly don’t ever become part of the family. Anyone who thinks so is delusional.
Cobras hood as a first defense. When they have been around handlers some don’t bother hooding, they will go right to striking and biting. My first exposure to these snakes was with a massive Egyptian Banded cobra that never hooded. Vicious.
Thanks for more details, I’m a little ignorant if it comes to snakes. But what about snake charmers? Can’t this be called training?

Zion
I have a 2 1/2 old mid content hybrid and as much as we have had hands on with him when he was a puppy he has really bad resource guarding & has bad mood swings. Yes he has been neutered back in the first week of July. He is incredibly smart can absolutely understand what you are saying in a sentence, stubborn as a mule. Would a shock collar work? Like you said he's scare of everything LOL
I love him to death.

I did have a seal point Himalayan cat and he was the love of my life. He was like a little puppy, affectionate, loving, knew when I was upset. My God I miss him.

Big time reptile guy here! 5 dogs, just recently got out of reptile hobby. Been a big python, tarantula , venomous snake owner for 15 years . Got 2 boys and a baby girl on the way . Anxiety got the best of me. Had to rehome the collection. Still got a few geckos for the kids and a big hypo granite Burmese python. Some you just can’t part ways with. Glad to see all the bulldog guys on here . Been a pit man all my life . I thought they could possibly be the best family dogs in the world until I got my Great Dane puppy few weeks ago . Man I love her lanky ass

Zion
I have a 2 1/2 old mid content hybrid and as much as we have had hands on with him when he was a puppy he has really bad resource guarding & has bad mood swings. Yes he has been neutered back in the first week of July. He is incredibly smart can absolutely understand what you are saying in a sentence, stubborn as a mule. Would a shock collar work? Like you said he's scare of everything LOL
I love him to death.

I did have a seal point Himalayan cat and he was the love of my life. He was like a little puppy, affectionate, loving, knew when I was upset. My God I miss him.

No shocking. Just respect

I only use the collar to reinforce commands..never to punish..
Sometimes the traits of a hybrid are impossible to remove or will require endless hrs to change..almost like they are born with them..If that's the case.. it's better to just work around them than trying to change..

The Wolf in them..you will Never change..
But getting them as early as you can and my experience,around 30 to 40% Wolf..and your odds are good..Over 50% and it Will always be a struggle..

The fact that they are incredibly smart and always thinking is very evident..You have to always remember that they are so different than a regular dog..Gabriel is more like a son than a dog..But Once you have that connection,trust and love from one..It makes all the super hard work..worth every second..

I would say..stick to it..give lots of love and spend more time with him..I have found around yr 3 they start to find their place in the family..their pecking order..But always be alert around kids and new PE..they pick up on things super quick..and never back down..

Gabe is so laid back....But if another dog challenges him..in a micro second the Wolf comes out and it's Not Pretty..He being 130lbs and 2" teeth... He's a Beast..!

Let me know if I can help..

Thanks for more details, I’m a little ignorant if it comes to snakes. But what about snake charmers? Can’t this be called training?
Touchy subject.
Charmers used to sew mouths shut and after a couple of months when they die from starvation, theyjust go catch a new one. The practice still goes on but now they use crazy glue (cyanoacrylate adhesives). Snakes can go months and sometimes much longer without eating. Without water? I don’t know. If the mouth were only to be partially closed to prevent biting, they could still drink I think, because of the “pumping” way snakes consume water.

As I understand it, more humane Charmers will just get used to a particular snake (they do have “personalities”) and just be careful. The snakes merely move according to the charmer’s movement. There is no training involved. Then when the snake gets conditioned to this game of being used for amusement, it very likely stops hooding. Time to get a new snake.
The whole flute music thing is just showmanship. Snakes don’t have ears.

Dano22, did you have elapids? Although I trained with a guy in Florida with them to have the skillset, I never kept any. I only had Bitis, Atheris, Crotalus, Trimeresurus and Bothreichis. My rule was to keep only things that were “not likely to kill me”.
I was in Kalifornia so keeping them was already pretty sketchy and VERY illegal. I had research permits to collect L. zonata and was always afraid of losing them. My mentors at the university were aware of my hobby and always were admonishing me.

The story of my buying a bunch of stuff in Florida and bringing on the plane with me is pretty funny. Pre 9/11 of course.

Only in my early years did I keep elapids. Got tired of stressful routine cleaning. Some cobras can be very sneaky and down right aggressive as you know. Had a Naja that would intimidate god himself . I preferred the pitvipers myself Trimeresurus kanburiensis. Can’t beat them man . I had 2 pairs and I could just watch them for hours . Favorite hots ive ever owned. I like the retics and big water monitors . Lots of cleaning though, the free time ive had the last 2 years has been amazing . Working and coming home to clean enclosures all night finally takes a toll after some time

Back