Thread: Pets

Super Fuckin User

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    347 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drugsgear View Post
    I understand your father, as I am an arachnophobe. For me, a spider is not a pet, but a nightmare
    Haha. I got you Bro. However, I wasn't aware at the time that he hates anything living that has no legs! After that it was Boas, Pythons, and the likes there of. I think the 10ft Columbian Boa did him in. And he's definitely a hard ass.
    Ready On Deck

Super Fuckin User

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    347 Posts
    Rep Points

I have never owned any unusual pets. The crocodile is cool, but it must be difficult to care for him and, besides, replies can’t be tamed.
    I defintely dknt live in the sticks, but a couple years ago some guy was keeping his alligator in the bathtub! Uh, what do you do? Takes a whore's bath in lieu of said carnivore? I feel like people think it's going never grow... Then OOPS!
    Ready On Deck

Super Fuckin User

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    347 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Milford King View Post
    @ ready on deck; bro that is one of the most beautiful dogs I’ve ever seen… the husky or Belgian mix there. That’s right up my alley. I love my gsd/husky mix. You ever check out the NAID breed? I love smart and loving dogs and my boy is both. He’s 3 now and I miss him everyday I’m at work can’t imagine losing him. He waits for me at the end of the drive and literally walks my truck to where I park it and patiently waits for me to exit the vehicle and give him some luvins.

@ coach; my dad had a pet raccoon when I was really young. He had to let it back out in the wild after it bit the tip of his index finger in two. His finger never healed and there’s a gap missing and his finger nail doesn’t grow on that finger. They are related to the bear family but definitely get aggressive. And there penis bone (bacalum) was/is used as a “lucky charm” and/or a toothpick by them good ol boys in the Appalachian and south. Lol
    Sincerely thank you for the compliment! He's a Wolf Hybrid and is amazing. Hes not overly aggressive but the shear stature speaks for itself; I.e."Don't come in my house." My brindle is 50% AKC GSD and 50% Golden Retriever - she's service K9.

I feel your pain about working bc I've been by her side literally everyday for almost 8 years. She helps coping with certain situations or memories. BUT if I leave her home? Unlocks the deadbolt and then latch then opens the door as wide as possible and goes back to laying on the couch. I've resulted to tying a pc power cable to the latch (knob) and my railing to keep her from being a wise ass.

Also if you like tech, check out FURBO on Amazon. You can talk, listen, deal a treat, and get notified for barking howling people detection movement crying.. It's awesome. And you can holler at em. And they are mad confused.
    Ready On Deck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,499 Posts
    Rep Points

I never heard about this before, I could not even think that a turtle can be tamed and it is social to people. Plus, do cobras really stop hooding because they feel you are the part of their family?
    A tortoise, certainly. Not sure about a turtle. In Spanish they are the same word, “tortuga” but far from the same type of animal.

Perhaps you misread me but I said snakes can be conditioned, meaning to responses of handlers and keepers. I have never seen a “trained” snake. They certainly don’t ever become part of the family. Anyone who thinks so is delusional.
    Cobras hood as a first defense. When they have been around handlers some don’t bother hooding, they will go right to striking and biting. My first exposure to these snakes was with a massive Egyptian Banded cobra that never hooded. Vicious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    283 Posts
    Rep Points

My buddies

My Spaniel passed last year.

LowT
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    283 Posts
    Rep Points

And a cat for my girls…

LowT
    Attached Images Attached Images

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyOnDeck View Post
    Haha. I got you Bro. However, I wasn't aware at the time that he hates anything living that has no legs! After that it was Boas, Pythons, and the likes there of. I think the 10ft Columbian Boa did him in. And he's definitely a hard ass.
    He must have loved you more than he hated these critters lol

We provide DOMESTIC shipping within USA
    Drugsgear.com
    contact me Dgear@protonmail.com

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CoachCabo View Post
    A tortoise, certainly. Not sure about a turtle. In Spanish they are the same word, “tortuga” but far from the same type of animal.

Perhaps you misread me but I said snakes can be conditioned, meaning to responses of handlers and keepers. I have never seen a “trained” snake. They certainly don’t ever become part of the family. Anyone who thinks so is delusional.
    Cobras hood as a first defense. When they have been around handlers some don’t bother hooding, they will go right to striking and biting. My first exposure to these snakes was with a massive Egyptian Banded cobra that never hooded. Vicious.
    Thanks for more details, I’m a little ignorant if it comes to snakes. But what about snake charmers? Can’t this be called training?

We provide DOMESTIC shipping within USA
    Drugsgear.com
    contact me Dgear@protonmail.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by zionoir626 View Post
    You might have your hands full with a hybrid in the mix..
    They go thru some strange stages..not like dogs a all..

The first 8 to 12 months they are scared of everything..
    Then one day..like a light switch...the want to Kill everything..thats a huge challenge..
    But around yr 3 they start to calm and find themselves..

Get ready to be totally blow away..Once you get a Wolf-hybrid..nothing else compares..
    Too damn smart..for one..trained mine at yr 2 with a shock collar..best thing if you need Jim off-leash..
    Zion
    I have a 2 1/2 old mid content hybrid and as much as we have had hands on with him when he was a puppy he has really bad resource guarding & has bad mood swings. Yes he has been neutered back in the first week of July. He is incredibly smart can absolutely understand what you are saying in a sentence, stubborn as a mule. Would a shock collar work? Like you said he's scare of everything LOL
    I love him to death.

I did have a seal point Himalayan cat and he was the love of my life. He was like a little puppy, affectionate, loving, knew when I was upset. My God I miss him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Rep Points

Big time reptile guy here! 5 dogs, just recently got out of reptile hobby. Been a big python, tarantula , venomous snake owner for 15 years . Got 2 boys and a baby girl on the way . Anxiety got the best of me. Had to rehome the collection. Still got a few geckos for the kids and a big hypo granite Burmese python. Some you just can’t part ways with. Glad to see all the bulldog guys on here . Been a pit man all my life . I thought they could possibly be the best family dogs in the world until I got my Great Dane puppy few weeks ago . Man I love her lanky ass

Super Fuckin User

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    347 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by NY_Angie View Post
    Zion
    I have a 2 1/2 old mid content hybrid and as much as we have had hands on with him when he was a puppy he has really bad resource guarding & has bad mood swings. Yes he has been neutered back in the first week of July. He is incredibly smart can absolutely understand what you are saying in a sentence, stubborn as a mule. Would a shock collar work? Like you said he's scare of everything LOL
    I love him to death.

I did have a seal point Himalayan cat and he was the love of my life. He was like a little puppy, affectionate, loving, knew when I was upset. My God I miss him.
    No shocking. Just respect
    Ready On Deck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,251 Posts
    Rep Points

I only use the collar to reinforce commands..never to punish..
    Sometimes the traits of a hybrid are impossible to remove or will require endless hrs to change..almost like they are born with them..If that's the case.. it's better to just work around them than trying to change..

The Wolf in them..you will Never change..
    But getting them as early as you can and my experience,around 30 to 40% Wolf..and your odds are good..Over 50% and it Will always be a struggle..

The fact that they are incredibly smart and always thinking is very evident..You have to always remember that they are so different than a regular dog..Gabriel is more like a son than a dog..But Once you have that connection,trust and love from one..It makes all the super hard work..worth every second..

I would say..stick to it..give lots of love and spend more time with him..I have found around yr 3 they start to find their place in the family..their pecking order..But always be alert around kids and new PE..they pick up on things super quick..and never back down..

Gabe is so laid back....But if another dog challenges him..in a micro second the Wolf comes out and it's Not Pretty..He being 130lbs and 2" teeth... He's a Beast..!

Let me know if I can help..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,499 Posts
    Rep Points

Thanks for more details, I’m a little ignorant if it comes to snakes. But what about snake charmers? Can’t this be called training?
    Touchy subject.
    Charmers used to sew mouths shut and after a couple of months when they die from starvation, theyjust go catch a new one. The practice still goes on but now they use crazy glue (cyanoacrylate adhesives). Snakes can go months and sometimes much longer without eating. Without water? I don’t know. If the mouth were only to be partially closed to prevent biting, they could still drink I think, because of the “pumping” way snakes consume water.

As I understand it, more humane Charmers will just get used to a particular snake (they do have “personalities”) and just be careful. The snakes merely move according to the charmer’s movement. There is no training involved. Then when the snake gets conditioned to this game of being used for amusement, it very likely stops hooding. Time to get a new snake.
    The whole flute music thing is just showmanship. Snakes don’t have ears.

Dano22, did you have elapids? Although I trained with a guy in Florida with them to have the skillset, I never kept any. I only had Bitis, Atheris, Crotalus, Trimeresurus and Bothreichis. My rule was to keep only things that were “not likely to kill me”.
    I was in Kalifornia so keeping them was already pretty sketchy and VERY illegal. I had research permits to collect L. zonata and was always afraid of losing them. My mentors at the university were aware of my hobby and always were admonishing me.

The story of my buying a bunch of stuff in Florida and bringing on the plane with me is pretty funny. Pre 9/11 of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Rep Points

Only in my early years did I keep elapids. Got tired of stressful routine cleaning. Some cobras can be very sneaky and down right aggressive as you know. Had a Naja that would intimidate god himself . I preferred the pitvipers myself Trimeresurus kanburiensis. Can’t beat them man . I had 2 pairs and I could just watch them for hours . Favorite hots ive ever owned. I like the retics and big water monitors . Lots of cleaning though, the free time ive had the last 2 years has been amazing . Working and coming home to clean enclosures all night finally takes a toll after some time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Rep Points

Don’t tell me you were flying with Tom Crutchfield. That crazy old bastard