What helps with your depression?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    548 Posts
    Rep Points

Get real help if you need it. Depression and suicide run in my family. For me, I don’t get a bit down I will tail spin into a deep, dark depression that makes life impossible. I have been stable now for years w/o a depressive episode.

Things that help me: the right anti-depressant (150mg/day of Bupropion), exercise, regular therapy, eating healthy, staying busy, and for the love of God staying away from Booze.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by GYMnTONIC View Post
    Also look into mushrooms

We have studies that prove mushrooms and other rec drugs. Reset the brain and cure depression. Even LSD has been used.
    The therapeutic value in Psychedelics is seriously underestimated. Certain experiences can have such a profound effect on the way you see yourself, this world, others and the way you fit into the mix. ImE they literally have potential to save your life and abolish toxic ruminating thought processes …. I owe psychedelics a lot for my happiness today. That’s saying a lot considering I haven’t even used them in years…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Rep Points

They also played a huge role in my sobriety today. Not like I just Took them and then suddenly my urge to use was just gone. It’s not like that. They were a tool to dig deep down into the root of the cause and help me find acceptance with the way things are and eased my desire to numb everything away. Helped me see my place in this ride we call life….

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,254 Posts
    Rep Points

I have been following some of your post and have this to say..Some of the compounds,amounts and duration hasn't helped your situation at all..A great deal of PED's come with mental sides,mood swings and downfalls..
    If you are pushing such compounds still and trying to cope with other issues,this could be a dead end road..and very well end up bad..Im speaking from a past experiences..that spinned out of control and other substances entered my life..if this is happening now..Get Help...if not yet...Good...
    But either way,I'd look at the whole picture and see what's Most important..big arms or sanity..

Just some advice from a friend that went over the edge once before..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,736 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by cujo200231 View Post
    Yes, this is what scares me about my dr on Friday. Finding. One that cares is hard and they are so fast to pull out the bag of ssris
    Seems that's all doc's want to do...throw the ssri's at you like candy...
    Show me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Rep Points

Are you the same guy that was struggling with opiate addiction/withdrawals?

If so that is probably playing a big role….impossible to get mental health under control while using stuff like that IMHO. Gonna take months maybe years of being sober for drug induced depression to subside… it does get better though and once it does it’s pretty permanent, at least it has been in my case (also recovered from opiates, over 3 years now)

No judgment just my experience, I’m not even sure if that was you or not…
    Last edited by MonsterMaker; 08-17-2021 at 06:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,254 Posts
    Rep Points

Honestly Brother...if it's something that's interfering with you happeness and well being..or even health..perhaps you need to take some steps back and figure a plan of attack..Like many have said,what's more important to you..??
    Many of us have had an unsavoury past with substance abuse..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    753 Posts
    Rep Points

Man, I can only speak personally from my own demons and battles with depression this year. But the only thing that will truly fill that void for you is God. And I don’t mean RELIGION. I mean Christ.
    Religion gets this stigma of judgmental, self-righteous, holier than thou types and that’s just sad, because it turns people away, and makes others give that “eye roll” every time you try to mention Jesus, or Prayer, or reading the Bible. But that’s not how it’s supposed to be.
    I recommend looking up the Southeast Christian Church podcast, or more specifically their Pastor, Kyle Idleman. The way he approaches faith isn’t from the typical hellfire and brimstone style, and not the “you’ve gotta be perfect” view. It truly is about just making yourself better, and learning about how to do that through the written word. It’s very uplifting, and has helped me a lot.
    Now, I’m by no means perfect, at ALL. But that isn’t what this is about. It’s about self-healing, and if you’re depressed it’s because you have a void in your soul. Alcohol, drugs, depression meds, and AAS won’t fill that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by GYMnTONIC View Post
    Also look into mushrooms

We have studies that prove mushrooms and other rec drugs. Reset the brain and cure depression. Even LSD has been used.
    This right here is truth. Psychedelic drugs can cure depression and you wouldn’t need to take a “happy pill” every morning ever again. LSD got me off anti depressants in my early 20s. Research it. If not experienced and you go this route I’d advise some one experienced take the trip with you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Rep Points

Obscured your right! LSD and a few shrooms can flip a switch in your brain and totally change someone’s paradigm. Ive been there. It can also flip it for the worse if not with the right EXPERIENCED people to lead you through it. Been there also. It’s really an incredible experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured78 View Post
    This right here is truth. Psychedelic drugs can cure depression and you wouldn’t need to take a “happy pill” every morning ever again. LSD got me off anti depressants in my early 20s. Research it. If not experienced and you go this route I’d advise some one experienced take the trip with you.
    Been meaning to to take a therapeutic trip sometime soon. Just to try and refocus my brain. Feel like I’ve been loosing site of what really matters and been way too stressed out lately.

I’ve been sitting on 2 sheets of some really good shit for 3 or 4 years now… I’m honestly kinda nervous to drop a dose…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    283 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by cujo200231 View Post
    For any of you that have suffered from depression, What has made you feel "happy" or not the feeling of emptiness? I can't see a dr until the end of september. So in the meantime i have some prozac that I'm waiting for it to "kick in" and Lortabs work but they are all around bad news. Any help is welcomed!
    See a Psychiatrist. Find out your specific mental illness. Educate yourself about it and actively participate in making improvements, for example someone who gets Dialectical behavior therapy (psychotherapy that began with efforts to treat borderline personality disorder) and take medication consistently on time. Your first may not be the one, it is often trial and error, but stay committed and engaged. Meds work, but are only a part of the answer. You have to put in the work.

LowT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Rep Points

Mushrooms

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    686 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by GJ503 View Post
    Prayer and meditation, yoga, long hikes (with the wife and dogs or alone) and taking time out of a busy day to read a book. Some days you just have to get out of bed and put one foot in front of the other and "fake it till you make it" but it gets easier. It also helps to talk to someone who can provide an neutral outside perspective.

IMO meds are a last resort but for clinical depression often necessary.
    This, worked for me also. To this day I try and go hiking at least a few times a month. By hiking I mean easy trails I can get to quick. If I am really down and out though, nothing beats getting on an ATV/dirtbike and getting lost on trails I have never been on before. Wide open.... Then camp wherever I end up...wake up and repeat...

To this day I talk to a counselor once a month. I use to think only pussies did this. That is until I realized just how hard it is to face your demons and look in the mirror. Especially for somebody else to see/hear...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,233 Posts
    Rep Points

Who cares what your therapist thinks of you bro. Your paying them to sit there and listen so you can get shit off YOUR chest. Every so often they will throw in some advice to help you get through whatever. That’s their job. A good therapist will never judge you period. I go no less than twice a week and I can honestly say without that couple hours a week of me bitching and moaning to her I would have been in the prison a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyPump77 View Post
    This, worked for me also. To this day I try and go hiking at least a few times a month. By hiking I mean easy trails I can get to quick. If I am really down and out though, nothing beats getting on an ATV/dirtbike and getting lost on trails I have never been on before. Wide open.... Then camp wherever I end up...wake up and repeat...

To this day I talk to a counselor once a month. I use to think only pussies did this. That is until I realized just how hard it is to face your demons and look in the mirror. Especially for somebody else to see/hear...