Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Twat Waffle Inspector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,510 Posts
    Rep Points

Painting my Ram 1500 in Bedliner

My neighbors starting to do his titan in bedliner and so far it looks surprisingly good. My 2012 Ram is in desperate need of rust removal and some make up. Anyone have any experiences with bed lining the exterior of a vehicle?

my trade in is like 12k right now but I am a poí boy and canít justify taking out a second mortgage to finance a new truck. I also have a very loving relationship with my Ram. Sheís and I been through a lot and Iíd feel like an ungrateful asshole if I got rid of her. And Iíd prolly have a plethora of problems with a new rig cuz thatís how these things work.

just not sure if I wanna bedline the whole thing or just go with a standard paint job. I donít care about looks I just want to make this truck last as long as possible. I use it like a truck so sheís pretty scarred up but somehow (knock on wood) I havenít managed to ding her up much at all. Just scratches and rust so far.

thank you for your time.

Super duper mod

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,743 Posts
    Rep Points

Have to get that rust fixed and not just cover it .that thing will keep on rusting and you wonít even know it .
    Advanced 2.0 the pip hits like a hammer

Twat Waffle Inspector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,510 Posts
    Rep Points

For sure. Iíll prolly get to the bare metal and where the rust has gone through use that locktite 94 or whatever itís called ... pink stuff that hardens up like steel, they use it in planes and sky choppers.... then prime it and spray it. Just wanna know if itís worth it.. Iíve heard that itís tough to keep clean and will crack but my biggest concern is longevity of my pick up .. donít care about being a pavement princess and I donít use it as a trail rig either. Just a workhorse and a way to get to work when the weather keeps my bike in the garage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    Rep Points

In my experience bedliner products arenít a good idea on vehicles. It looks like shit after a while and itís a ton of added weight. I know of people whoís doors couldnít shut right because the added weight caused them to sag

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    863 Posts
    Rep Points

Trade it in and get a hellcat

Twat Waffle Inspector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,510 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by IronRage View Post
    Trade it in and get a hellcat
    haha... life is much harder without a truck up in these parts. Iíd need an Awd hellcat. But.... Iíd love to have something to play with on the side.

I prefer the 70ís muscle style ; even tho the hellcat looks like a real muscle car compared to the new models. I was impressed with a 17í coupe style mustang I saw the other day tho.

wishlist; 70 amx javelin, 70 cuda , roadrunner and or a chevelle. Lol

anyways.... as far as the door jam problem, Iíve also heard that too. The more I think about it the more I think Iíll just fix the rust and paint it standard paint. I do like the look tho... almost like armored vehicle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    Rep Points

If you can remove the rust and seal the remaining metal in the bed, why not get a spray-on bedliner? My brother did this on his old '99 Dodge RAM 2500 and it's like almost a new truck, even after a new paint job on the body. In addition he put another 5k into replacing the transmission and other work.
    Show me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    Rep Points

Hellcats are darn good too, and my younger bro got one for his business as a bad-ass work truck. At 96k new I thought my brother was crazy LOL.
    Last edited by MindlessWork; 08-01-2021 at 07:29 AM.
    Show me

Twat Waffle Inspector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,510 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MindlessWork View Post
    If you can remove the rust and seal the remaining metal in the bed, why not get a spray-on bedliner? My brother did this on his old '99 Dodge RAM 2500 and it's like almost a new truck, even after a new paint job on the body. In addition he put another 5k into replacing the transmission and other work.
    you mis understand bud. The bed of my truck is sealed with rhino liner (bed liner).. the wheel wells and cab corners are starting to rust and bubble which means the rust (once I sand it down) is probably through the metal.

im going to patch it up and then I was going to paint the ENTIRE truck in bedliner. In an effort to slow down the rust. I figured because of its texture and thickness it would offer slightly more protection from the salt.

just wanted to hear from any other dumbasses who may have done this themselves and regretted it.

Super duper mod

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,743 Posts
    Rep Points

Hellcats are darn good too, and my younger bro got one for his business as a bad-ass work truck. At 96k new I thought my brother was crazy LOL.
    Your brother has a hellcat work truck ? Are you talking about the trx , they do have the supercharged 6.2 but are far from hellcat numbers still pretty cool though .
    Advanced 2.0 the pip hits like a hammer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by frank zazz View Post
    Your brother has a hellcat work truck ? Are you talking about the trx , they do have the supercharged 6.2 but are far from hellcat numbers still pretty cool though .
    Yes that's the one as he just bought it not long ago. In fact, he used it to haul a fully loaded 29' travel trailer and it was effortless so I am sure it will tow a heavy scissors lift jack as well.
    Show me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    863 Posts
    Rep Points

Yes that's the one as he just bought it not long ago. In fact, he used it to haul a fully loaded 29' travel trailer and it was effortless so I am sure it will tow a heavy scissors lift jack as well.
    Thatís why you get the challenger hellcat then the only thing you have to worry about hauling is bitches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Rep Points

I'd do certain parts of my truck if I was gonna line it like the front/rear bumper,side skirts,fenders,corners,tailgate,bed,top of bed, like mentioned shit is heavy plus in the light it fades from the slick black to like a duller black you could detail it up probably. My next diesel truck will have steel bumpers lined check out duracoat don't have to bake it like ceracoat works on guns ya dig. Just thoughts could wrap it with different vinyl materials they make also.

Twat Waffle Inspector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,510 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    I'd do certain parts of my truck if I was gonna line it like the front/rear bumper,side skirts,fenders,corners,tailgate,bed,top of bed, like mentioned shit is heavy plus in the light it fades from the slick black to like a duller black you could detail it up probably. My next diesel truck will have steel bumpers lined check out duracoat don't have to bake it like ceracoat works on guns ya dig. Just thoughts could wrap it with different vinyl materials they make also.
    yep. Iíve decided to take the most bottom body line and do that in Bedliner first. Gonna get my rear bumper this time around too but will replace that in the next 4 or 5 years probably. I figure Iíll do this for under 300 bucks and if I like it and it lasts well thatís cheaper than trading it in and buying a newer one thatíll just rust out again lol

I wish delorean made an all stainless steel or all titanium pick up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Rep Points

I had a 2008 hemi ram...loved it...but around 2015 I started to notice some rust around wheel wells...a good friend that does body work advised me to get rid of it...he equated the rust to cancer...there is no stopping it...by 2018 it was riddled with rust everywhere...I traded it in on an f150 with a 2.7 twin turbo...my Ford would destroy the ram from 0-60...plus I now get 21.5 mpg compared to 13 mpg...the only thing I miss the V8 rumble...