• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

How Creatine works in the muscles (simplified)

jozifp103

Board Rep
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Everyone knows creatine puts water in your muscles which helps with strength and gives you the appearance of being bigger. Too many people think that creatine is nothing more that a supplement to add water weight and fail to realize the ACTUAL benefits of creatine especially as it relates to muscle performance and growth.

Key terms:
Phosphate - a molecule that attaches to proteins to activate them or cause them to perform a specific action.
Kinase - A protein that transports phosphates and attaches them to proteins to be used for reactions.

Phosphates are involved in tons of different reactions within the body. When creatine is processes in the body it is converted to PHOSPHOCREATINE (PCr). This PCr will donate it's phosphate group to whatever needs it. When you exercise you are causing tons and tons of different chemical reactions to occur in your body to convert nutrients to energy, repair, rebuild, etc. These reactions need phosphate to be donated to them to keep the reaction going. FOR EXAMPLE: The contraction of your muscles is fueled by adenosine tri-phosphate (ATP). Once ATP is used it loses its phosphate group and becomes adenosine di-phosphate (ADP). Once your ATP stores are depleted your muscles tire out and that's the end of your set. Your ATP replenishes itself between sets during rest time by obtaining more phosphate groups, thus going back from ADP to ATP. Creatine provides the extra phosphate to facilitate this replenishment which allows for greater ATP stores and allows you to work your muscles harder and longer before your ATP is depleted. This of course leads to greater strength and muscle growth.
creatine-ATP.jpg

However, there are several other phospho-reactions that require phosphate group. These reactions include; MTor, IGF-1 expression, satellite cell proliferation and maturation and so on. So creatine actually provides the fuel for all these extremely important reactions to take place in order to build muscle.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5679696/

What is the best brand of creatine now a days? I haven't bought any in a while.

What is the best brand of creatine now a days? I haven't bought any in a while.
​Couldn't tell you. I haven't used creatine in years myself. You really can't go wrong with just basic monohydrate.

Back