• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

More proof: crunches alone won't give you a sixpack

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
More proof: crunches alone won't give you a sixpack
six-pack-logo-esk-pic.jpg
Hundreds of thousands of men and women are still doing crunches till they're blue in the face, with or without miracle machines from Tell Sell, in the hope of gaining a slimmer waist or a washboard. Impossible, say trainers. And a study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research proves them right again.Localized fat loss
No, say trainers, you can't lose fat in specific places by training. You can only lose fat. If you are burning more energy than you consume via food, your body breaks down fat everywhere it can, and sooner or later you'll see the benefits in the places you most want to see the fat melting away.

Researchers have done countless experiments in which subjects do sit-ups and crunches, and measured the amount of subcutaneous fat that disappeared around their waste - with no result.
sixpack.gif
American sports scientists repeated these studies briefly by getting 14 non-active people in their twenties with stable bodyweight to train their abdominal muscles for six weeks consecutively. The subjects had to do a workout for their middle section five times a week. The workout consisted of seven exercises, with two sets of ten reps for each.A control group of ten people in their twenties did nothing in those six weeks.
Results
The table below shows that the ab training [Exercise] did not result in any statistically significant changes in the bodyweight, total fat mass or the android fat mass. Android fat is the fat in the torso: around the abdomen, chest, shoulders, neck and back. At the end of the six weeks the test subjects were capable of doing more crunches.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

androidfatcrunches.gif

androidfatcrunches2.gif

androidfatcrunches3.gif
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Conclusion
"Abdominal exercise training was effective to increase abdominal strength but was not effective to decrease various measures of abdominal fat", the researchers conclude.

"Some individuals attempt to reduce their waistline by solely performing abdominal exercises possibly because of claims made by various abdominal equipment advertisements. The information obtained from this study can help people to understand that abdominal exercise alone is not sufficient to reduce waistline or subcutaneous abdominal fat."
Source:
J Strength Cond Res. 2011 Sep;25(9):2559-64.

I’ve never done any exercise for my abs. Honestly I’ve only watched what I’ve eaten. I’m sure if I did they would be better but they already pop out just fine all on their own. I’m 5’6” 195lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that training your abs can give a person an extremely undesirable look. Especially if it's a strength based vs. hypertrophic sort of training.

It can give you sort of a barrel shape and fuck your proportions all up.

I’ve never done any exercise for my abs. Honestly I’ve only watched what I’ve eaten. I’m sure if I did they would be better but they already pop out just fine all on their own. I’m 5’6” 195lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find Dead lifts/Squats and just some oblique pulls build my abs just fine, in fact better than when I did crunches/situps etc...

I find Dead lifts/Squats and just some oblique pulls build my abs just fine, in fact better than when I did crunches/situps etc...

Yup, hard bracing in DL/ Squats and low bodyfat is all that it takes unless one has an aesthetic imbalance they are trying to fix.

But it's easier to convince people to buy ab rollers than to put the fork down and/or eat clean.

Back