• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Best Ways to Discontinue Alcohol use...

GYMnTONIC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Question. This is def not an expertise of mine. I'm wanting to help some of my clients eliminate Alcohol from their daily intake.

I have no experience in Alcohol or Drug counseling, or for that matter being in AA or counseled myself, so it's something I think I would like to learn some tips from

I am sure someone or several people here have struggled with this. What are some tips or techniques you guys have found useful to eliminate alcohol from your daily intake? I don't want these guys just to cut back, I'd prefer them to come off completely.

I know from experience,I have had so many clients over the years who drink moderately or excessively and I can tell you that even the moderate drinkers, there conditioning and results in the weight room are never ever close to someone who refrains from drinking.

I realize this may be easier said then done, but let's hear what worked for you. Are there products you have used to come off?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

I drank for 40 years (age 13 to age 53). The last 20, quite heavily. In my case, I just couldn't keep going with it, it obviously became a 5-6 day a week problem.
Tried cold turkey, ended up in ambulance ride to hospital (heart rate took off - dangerous levels) spent the night.
After that, did a one-week taper to be able to still function.

After that it was quite easy because I knew I had to, and even better I WANTED to. I dont know of any helpful supps, but they do have Rx stuff for the problem drinker.
IMO the person just needs to want to quit. I didnt listen to anyone until I myself wanted to do it. In any case, I wish them luck...

I have zero cravings, and the thought of a drink actually sickens me. Went to AA for a bit, but tired of the folks whining about how they have a disease and they are powerless.
Might work for them, but not for me. Its not a disease, ad Im not powerless against something I put into my mouth. Asinine... It works for them though so thats great.
I just wanted no part of that thought process. Im powerless over nothing...

How old is he? Tell him to grow the fuck up. I drank like a fish until almost my mid 30s and realized it was holding me back.
Bottom line the guy needs to understand just like any bad addiction if he wants to be successful, he has to drop it.
I don't miss drinking one bit. I used to drink 6 out of 7 days. Now, I might have 2 or 3 drinks total in a month.
Question. This is def not an expertise of mine. I'm wanting to help some of my clients eliminate Alcohol from their daily intake.

I have no experience in Alcohol or Drug counseling, or for that matter being in AA or counseled myself, so it's something I think I would like to learn some tips from

I am sure someone or several people here have struggled with this. What are some tips or techniques you guys have found useful to eliminate alcohol from your daily intake? I don't want these guys just to cut back, I'd prefer them to come off completely.

I know from experience,I have had so many clients over the years who drink moderately or excessively and I can tell you that even the moderate drinkers, there conditioning and results in the weight room are never ever close to someone who refrains from drinking.

I realize this may be easier said then done, but let's hear what worked for you. Are there products you have used to come off?

The only real way to quit is he's gonna have to quit on his on. I've been down this path with my friends and love ones. We tried alot of things from AA , intervention, therapy and etc. In the end it all comes down to them. Saying goes " you can lead a horse to the water but it's up to them to drink it".

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I am assuming we are talking about someone who "can't" stop bc of addiction? Or is it someone who just enjoys socially drinking....a lot. But isn't addicted.

I can't speak to addiction. Truth be told, I knew as a young man addiction ran in my family and so I was mindful of that and careful. Doesn't mean you can't fall into it anyway, but I abstained from a lot of drugs, even pot, for this reason.

Socially, I like to drink. I live on the water. And on a nice day, it's great to sit back and look at the water with a cocktail. But it's bad for trying to get into shape.

So I allow myself a cheat day. This keeps me dedicated more of the time. I think anyone who isn't addicted, doesn't see alcohol as a terrible vice.

I guess having a cheat day holds me back a little, but one has to live life with a balance. Unless you can't.

First, I would advise to find some hobby, that will keep them interested and hot.
secondly, psychologists recommend driving a car as often as possible, this will inevitably exclude drinking from the daily routine. Plus, drinking is usually associated with the emotional eating!
I hope it will help!

Yeah this is a tough one bro... ultimately it’s up to the person if they want to stop or not. It’s pretty much that simple. You cannot help or make someone do something they are not willing to do. You can give them all the tools and all the help in the world but if they truly are not ready to give it up ( alcohol,drugs,etc) then it’s a losing battle.

So IMO the first step should be sit down with the person look them straight in the eye and ask them Are You Ready To Quit? If the answer is a resounding Yes then you go from there......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IML Gear Cream!
Hit my family hard. The best success I’ve seen yet in those affected was good old modern medicine. Campral- kill cravings and naltrexone, it makes alcohol not enjoyable. I guess you still get drunk but they aren’t having fun as the chemicals in the brain are blocked. Seemed like when they don’t crave so bad and it’s not fun, they tapper off quickly.

I agree 100% with what has already been posted. You have to *want* to quit. Having said that, I don't know how easy it would have been for me awhile back if I hadn't used kratom. It doesn't give a "woohoo, party" feeling. But it does take the edge off. For lack of a better way to describe it.

I agree 100% with what has already been posted. You have to *want* to quit. Having said that, I don't know how easy it would have been for me awhile back if I hadn't used kratom. It doesn't give a "woohoo, party" feeling. But it does take the edge off. For lack of a better way to describe it.

I too have used Kratom and it does help a lot!! With a whole bunch of different things. That is definitely a good start...

Question; what is fapping? I have seen this word a few times now and this in context it sound like masterbation, beating the meat, spanking the monkey, jerkin’ the gerkin’, tossing the wad, choking the geor..... err I mean, chicken.... how many God forsaken terms do we need to describe (flicking the bean, clicking the mouse.... don’t know as many feminine terms for this act) .... getting the baby batter outta the way?

second question; I used to socially drink.... then people started freaking out about being around each other and I realized I was way cooler to hang out with then they were and now I socially drink with myself.... is this a problem? Lol

Kidding... alcohol is a low hanging fruit. Easy to divert your energy into it..... like rot iron said.... you gotta want it.....

what I’ve learned is ... the more your wife bitches about it, the less you’ll want to change. We’re all kids at heart.... but....also.... don’t put so much pressure on yourself.

just live life.... you only got one.... and everyone dies.

if you don’t want to be a beer gut dad bod driving to 7-11 on a lawn tractor ... then stop drinking everyday... reserve those drinks for when you get together with your alcoholic buddies.... and only hang out with those nut jobs like maybe 4 times a year (once a season)... but when you do hang out.... make it count. Go big or go home!!!

Good point in the last paragraph. I don't make it count as much as I would like to still though as I fear the consequence of the next day/days.
Question; what is fapping? I have seen this word a few times now and this in context it sound like masterbation, beating the meat, spanking the monkey, jerkin’ the gerkin’, tossing the wad, choking the geor..... err I mean, chicken.... how many God forsaken terms do we need to describe (flicking the bean, clicking the mouse.... don’t know as many feminine terms for this act) .... getting the baby batter outta the way?

second question; I used to socially drink.... then people started freaking out about being around each other and I realized I was way cooler to hang out with then they were and now I socially drink with myself.... is this a problem? Lol

Kidding... alcohol is a low hanging fruit. Easy to divert your energy into it..... like rot iron said.... you gotta want it.....

what I’ve learned is ... the more your wife bitches about it, the less you’ll want to change. We’re all kids at heart.... but....also.... don’t put so much pressure on yourself.

just live life.... you only got one.... and everyone dies.

if you don’t want to be a beer gut dad bod driving to 7-11 on a lawn tractor ... then stop drinking everyday... reserve those drinks for when you get together with your alcoholic buddies.... and only hang out with those nut jobs like maybe 4 times a year (once a season)... but when you do hang out.... make it count. Go big or go home!!!

I drank for 40 years (age 13 to age 53). The last 20, quite heavily. In my case, I just couldn't keep going with it, it obviously became a 5-6 day a week problem.
Tried cold turkey, ended up in ambulance ride to hospital (heart rate took off - dangerous levels) spent the night.
After that, did a one-week taper to be able to still function.

After that it was quite easy because I knew I had to, and even better I WANTED to. I dont know of any helpful supps, but they do have Rx stuff for the problem drinker.
IMO the person just needs to want to quit. I didnt listen to anyone until I myself wanted to do it. In any case, I wish them luck...

I have zero cravings, and the thought of a drink actually sickens me. Went to AA for a bit, but tired of the folks whining about how they have a disease and they are powerless.
Might work for them, but not for me. Its not a disease, ad Im not powerless against something I put into my mouth. Asinine... It works for them though so thats great.
I just wanted no part of that thought process. Im powerless over nothing...
Ouch that's a very good example for the young whippersnappers to learn about what can happen if they go overboard with alcohol. Good you had the fortitude to throw away the bottle before you get yourself killed. Big props big guy!

I was a big drinker as a young man because I was depressed...had to give it up because almost got killed one night trying to cross a highway at night stoned and drunk. Car clipped me but that's the warning I got.

Can’t wait till someone makes one of these threads for how to stop fapping

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
LMAO...only from a crazy Russian! :D

Ouch that's a very good example for the young whippersnappers to learn about what can happen if they go overboard with alcohol. Good you had the fortitude to throw away the bottle before you get yourself killed. Big props big guy!

I was a big drinker as a young man because I was depressed...had to give it up because almost got killed one night trying to cross a highway at night stoned and drunk. Car clipped me but that's the warning I got.

Shit can happen to anyone (addiction that is). Glad the car didn’t win you crazy fuck, Jesus talk about a wake up call. Been there done that, won’t go into detail but what the other dude said about it being a choice, is dead on. Life’s all about choices man. Just because you have a strong desire to drink, doesn’t mean that actually choosing to do so, is anything more than a choice, and usually a very poor one.

Shit can happen to anyone (addiction that is). Glad the car didn’t win you crazy fuck, Jesus talk about a wake up call. Been there done that, won’t go into detail but what the other dude said about it being a choice, is dead on. Life’s all about choices man. Just because you have a strong desire to drink, doesn’t mean that actually choosing to do so, is anything more than a choice, and usually a very poor one.
Sorry if I offended and came off sounding insensitive and I meant NO offense in my post.

It can be hard depending on stress, anxiety, depression. I've been known to fall in pits heat and there.

I think the most important thing is finding out WHY they need to drink. Solve that issue.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Get Shredded!
Keep yourself busy.

avoid triggers.

attend AA.

Forge a relationship with God.

This about sums it up in a nutshell.
Go to meetings, don't drink between meetings, get a sponsor, work the steps and get involved with some service commitments.

I know a lot of people who quit without AA but AA can really change someone's life beyond just sobriety.

Sorry if I offended and came off sounding insensitive and I meant NO offense in my post.

Not at all man your good. I wish I didn’t have such a “poor me” attitude when I was at my worst. I should have just embraced my struggles but I hid from them. Having kids was a game changer for me. I knew I couldn’t be that bitch that couldn’t handle life anymore.... no offense there to anyone either, that’s just my personal take on my personal life....

This about sums it up in a nutshell.
Go to meetings, don't drink between meetings, get a sponsor, work the steps and get involved with some service commitments.

I know a lot of people who quit without AA but AA can really change someone's life beyond just sobriety.

Ya I guess to each their own but I personally feel that it is not necessary. Too much focus on problems and negative aspects of life...

Aside from the rest of the great suggestions, IMO one of the best things for people in this situation is to get involved with an "intensive" outpatient program.
My reason for suggesting this is because these programs are structured to help identify trigger points and to work on their cognitive thinking and behavior.
The cognitive thought process and behavior is something that is overlooked and is very important, because we are creatures of habit. This isn't something to play around with, and no fashion and my minimizing the success that some people have had with using aa, or other great support groups while at the same time getting involved with other good habits and hobbies. All the while underneath they have never addressed specific cognitive behaviors. It could be simply something as easily with identifying a trigger point that could be a behavior that subconsciously they would do that ultimately would end up leading them to use again.
There's some specific behaviors that people would do while they were using, and when they are sober if they do the same behaviors it could initiate and trigger an urge or a desire that they simply do not have the tools to identify, know how to work with or even recognize.

This is serious stuff. And the reality is that the success ratio with people just changing their people places and things and getting a new hobby does not always end up with a happy ending. Simply because a lot of people never took the proper steps in measures with learning how to identify and correct cognitive behaviors that they have been doing most likely their entire adult life.
They are hardwired to think with a certain thought process and that thought process is managed by themselves, and an alcoholic or an addict historically are not good managers if you look at their resume and how they manage things on their own.

The AA rooms, or rehab or even outpatient treatment therapies are not for everyone as recovery is not a one-size-fits-all, but the one component that all addicts have in common is a cognitive thought process that needs to be corrected and the most successful turnaround is when people have this under the right settings with professionals. Having support from family, Friends people pushing them into the gym or even other habits is extremely healthy but in reality it is not identifying or correcting or given them the true life management skills that they need.. let's face it, life can get tough and very challenging so what happens when life starts throwing this person a curveball, their stands a good chance like most addicts that they will resort on their own original thought process with how they micromanage things in the past.

Going to a very aggressive outpatient program that is structured it's probably one of the best things for people.
They cut you no slack, they don't blow smoke up your ass, at the same time they're still out there living and functioning as they should be while a couple times during the week they will attend the program, or group and follow the guidelines that are implemented, in some cases it's in a group setting with the professionals, and the also have some homework that after the group they have to attend AA rooms. There is constant and continuous check-ins, they watched the progress, it's just like hiring a fitness coach. But this coach is different, these coaches will save their life..

As much as we would like to help people sometimes there's some things that are just out of our hands and we are not properly equipped. Sometimes it's best to leave it to the professionals.. they owe it to themselves, life is totally worth living.

For me it was controlling my anxiety and hitting rock bottom. I self medicated with alcohol for many years..then it controlled my daily life and had a rough time giving it up because I only knew alcohol as a relief from my natural anxiety, which I had since 12-13yrs old. Truth was it was just a crutch and only got me in trouble down the road as the addiction increased and needed more and more alcohol to feel "ok". The withdrawals only make an already anxious person that much more anxious thus causing relapse and continued use. For me staying busy thru work throughout the day and alot of physical activity burned away my anxiety and cravings to drink eventually. AA or addiction groups help alot of people stay clean..for me personally it did not. I had to finally get locked up and come to terms that the next time I drank I would ultimately end up back in prison or die..some call it rock bottom - a lot of people can control their alcohol consumption and behaviors under the influence (social drinkers, ECT).. I however had to make the decision that I cannot..once I got that thru my head, it made stopping much easier and the cravings dwindled down...it's a struggle but you can do it

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Geez. You got clipped by a car? And mom tossed you off the 2nd story deck? What else almost killed you?

Like most addictions it can be a hard one to break. My best advice is to practice patience and be the motivating force behind his recovery. It's gonna be hard.

Back