• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

How many times should a muscle be hit weekly

samgraves82

Board Rep
Board Rep
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Question: How often should a person work each muscle group per week if their goal is to build muscle? Once, twice, or three times?

When it comes to building muscle, as long as you’re doing everything correctly within your overall workout program (and diet), all three of these training frequencies can work.

What matters most in this context is volume.

As in, how many total sets are being done for each muscle group per week.

Because once you have that weekly number of sets at an optimal level, it mostly just comes down to dividing it up over whatever number of workouts you have for each muscle group per week.

Here’s an example of what I mean.

Let’s pretend 12 total sets per week for the chest is what works best.

If you’re training your chest once per week, you’d need to do all 12 sets in that one workout.

If you’re training your chest twice per week, you’d need to do 6 sets in each of those two workouts.

If you’re training your chest three times per week, you’d need to do 4 sets in each of those three workouts.

In every scenario, you end up with the same total weekly volume (12 sets) being done for your chest. And in the end, that’s what matters most.

Your training frequency is largely just a means for making it happen.

Does that mean 1 vs 2 vs 3 times per week will be equally effective?

Not quite.

There are definitely some important pros and cons to each frequency.

It’s a bit too much to get into in an email, but generally speaking, once per week will be the least effective for most people, and 2-3 times per week will be the most effective.

This, of course, is why 100% of the workouts included in my Superior Muscle Growth program are designed around this "2-3 times per week" frequency.

It's what works best. And once per week? That's an option I only really recommend for maintenance rather than progress.

UNCLE Z REP

WWW.UNCLEZ.RU FOR LIST/ORDERING

Question: How often should a person work each muscle group per week if their goal is to build muscle? Once, twice, or three times?

When it comes to building muscle, as long as you’re doing everything correctly within your overall workout program (and diet), all three of these training frequencies can work.

What matters most in this context is volume.

As in, how many total sets are being done for each muscle group per week.

Because once you have that weekly number of sets at an optimal level, it mostly just comes down to dividing it up over whatever number of workouts you have for each muscle group per week.

Here’s an example of what I mean.

Let’s pretend 12 total sets per week for the chest is what works best.

If you’re training your chest once per week, you’d need to do all 12 sets in that one workout.

If you’re training your chest twice per week, you’d need to do 6 sets in each of those two workouts.

If you’re training your chest three times per week, you’d need to do 4 sets in each of those three workouts.

In every scenario, you end up with the same total weekly volume (12 sets) being done for your chest. And in the end, that’s what matters most.

Your training frequency is largely just a means for making it happen.

Does that mean 1 vs 2 vs 3 times per week will be equally effective?

Not quite.

There are definitely some important pros and cons to each frequency.

It’s a bit too much to get into in an email, but generally speaking, once per week will be the least effective for most people, and 2-3 times per week will be the most effective.

This, of course, is why 100% of the workouts included in my Superior Muscle Growth program are designed around this "2-3 times per week" frequency.

It's what works best. And once per week? That's an option I only really recommend for maintenance rather than progress.

UNCLE Z REP

I agree

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

This imo is based on each individual you really have to experiment to see what works best for you in 53 been working out since I was 16. There is no cookie cutter recipe. It's a lab experiment & it takes time to find out what works for you. Through trial & error. That's my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This imo is based on each individual you really have to experiment to see what works best for you in 53 been working out since I was 16. There is no cookie cutter recipe. It's a lab experiment & it takes time to find out what works for you. Through trial & error. That's my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I agree.100% every muscle is different also. For example, a man that does heavy labor for a living(say block tender or roofing) may be fine back and legs 1x per week and 2x everything else vs a man who sits all day for a job or lifting is his job may need 2-3x for everything. Back to the laborer tho, did he really only do back and legs once? Id say no.

UNCLE Z REP

I'm 53 years old, but this is what I do. Everyone is different. No one routine is going to fit everyone. I work each body part once a week. Do abs twice. But I totally kill that bodypart. 6-7 exercises, 5 sets by 8-12 reps. Do a little math and that's over 300 reps. When I leave the gym, I'm shot. I workout 5 days a week. I don't lift on Saturday or Sunday because I need the recovery time...I only go on Saturday if I miss a day during the week.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I'm 53 years old, but this is what I do. Everyone is different. No one routine is going to fit everyone. I work each body part once a week. Do abs twice. But I totally kill that bodypart. 6-7 exercises, 5 sets by 8-12 reps. Do a little math and that's over 300 reps. When I leave the gym, I'm shot. I workout 5 days a week. I don't lift on Saturday or Sunday because I need the recovery time...I only go on Saturday if I miss a day during the week.

The argument to that.is,
Wouldn't you get much much more out of those last 150 reps on a 2nd day?
And HOLY HELL THATS A.LOT OF WORK IN ONE DAY!!!! my last 3 exercise would be useless junk volume

UNCLE Z REP

The argument to that.is,
Wouldn't you get much much more out of those last 150 reps on a 2nd day?
And HOLY HELL THATS A.LOT OF WORK IN ONE DAY!!!! my last 3 exercise would be useless junk volume

UNCLE Z REP

Not for me....don't hardly get a good pump going, and the muscle is screaming for more...dude, everyone is different. I'm just telling you what I do...may not work for everyone. I see so many people come into the gym and leave in an hour. Don't hardly break a sweat and you wonder what good they actually did....I can't work two muscle groups at one time. I get the first muscle group blasted then about 75% into my second group I totally run out of shit...no pump, no energy...time to go home then, you aren't doing shit in my opinion.

Not for me....don't hardly get a good pump going, and the muscle is screaming for more...dude, everyone is different. I'm just telling you what I do...may not work for everyone. I see so many people come into the gym and leave in an hour. Don't hardly break a sweat and you wonder what good they actually did....I can't work two muscle groups at one time. I get the first muscle group blasted then about 75% into my second group I totally run out of shit...no pump, no energy...time to go home then, you aren't doing shit in my opinion.

Dude!! Chill out its just a conversation piece thats all LOL.

UNCLE Z REP

IML Gear Cream!
I think it depends on how fast you can recover and how much time do you have to hit the gym. I've done 2x a week for each muscle before and currently 1x per body part. I think if you can hit each group twice a week then that's probably ideal or at least your weakest body parts. For me, I mix heavy compounds into my bodybuilding and I feel like it doesn't give my low back enough rest to hit back and legs twice (I have two herniated discs).

But yeah, I think for the smaller body parts you could totally hit them twice. I usually throw a couple sets of biceps at the end of back day and on arm day, because they really suck...

For the most part I only hit one muscle group twice a week. I dont do all of them. For example one week I'll do chest 2x a week. The next week ill do back twice a week etc etc.

For the most part I only hit one muscle group twice a week. I dont do all of them. For example one week I'll do chest 2x a week. The next week ill do back twice a week etc etc.
I don't hate that idea at all actually.

UNCLE Z REP

I’m so strapped for time the only way I can really go about it is to do a whole body 3X a week. Seems to work well enough for me.

high volume, bro split worked for me quite well.... once I started hitting each muscle group 2x a week ... injuries started piling up. Because of the work load I got at the homestead I am now switching back to 4am morning workouts, bro split (one muscle group a day) ... forcing myself to eat breakfast right after wards to prevent that weird hypo feeling I usually get with fasted workouts.. also spoonful of peanut butter and a banana with 2 cups of water and some pre workout as soon as I wake up will help I think.

fingers crossed 🤞

All ways work if you stick with it and the split suits ur individual needs, recovery, injury prevention etc

UNCLE Z REP

Lol no real answer for everyone, i do back once a week, everything else twice and traps everytime i go to gym ? Works good for me also i usually workout everyday im off or total body workouts 2 or 3 days in a row if im going out of town or working nights and know ill have trouble sleeping. I am a believer it doesn’t matter, workout hard whenever you want and your body will adjust to it. Just like when people overwork themselves in anything and they adjust. Especially when you throw in good supplements and drugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, 1 was never enough. I like 2x a week and even done more basic "fullbody" routines 3x weekly based on compounds with success. Would like to see if anyone else has as well!

For me, 1 was never enough. I like 2x a week and even done more basic "fullbody" routines 3x weekly based on compounds with success. Would like to see if anyone else has as well!
2x a week has been a staple until recently so that's a yes for me

UNCLE Z REP

Depends on many things, age, intensity, peds, loads etc. Imo you just have to experiment in order to know.

Get Shredded!
2x's a week... legs once per week..
I do heavy compound movements on the 1st training day then isolation movements for the 2nd workout.
I recover quite quickly and normally have doms later in the day after training. Next day im fine.

the more times per week you do each body part than , the more times per week you have to grow.. but i think like everything ,, moderation is key,, so for me, 2x a week each body part,, arms\delts.. .. back \lats,, shoulders \chest,, ,, i do legs once a week ,, with one or 2 days off..

now the guy who says he does 1 body part a week is leaving alot on the table ,, imo,,,, unless you are huge as fuck and you cant grow nomore ,, than 1 body part a week for maintance is fine.( so like %2 of you out there lol)

thats also saying when you train, , you are indeed training and not just "going through the motions "

this is all of course under the pretence that you want to get the most out of youre training with the best outcome

Once per week works for me but each smaller, acessory muscle really gets twice per week.
Example: I do chest on Monday and since triceps are involved, I don’t really train them. (I might do a set or three just because I feel like it.)

Tuesday is back and since the biceps are involved I don’t train them. (I might do forearms if I feel like it.)

Wednesday is legs.
Thursday shoulders.
Friday off.
Saturday I am now doing an exclusive arm day. I have found that every bicep and tricep exercise gets a significant amount more from this because I am stronger on the arms only day as these muscles haven’t been pre-exhausted.
Sunday our gyms are closed.

If you notice, there are always two days minimum recovery between exercises that use the accessory muscles. Meaning that I don’t do shoulders the day after chest. No buceps for a few days after back.

I spend no more that an hour or so in the gym. I’m not pecking away at my phone between sets. I am head down and focused. There for one single purpose. (And apparently the only person in the gym doing so.)

I don’t believe in training sore muscles. On or off, it still takes me this much time to recover.

Thirty years ago I did double splits and looking back I’m not sure it was a good thing, fast recovery or not.

I’ve always done typical bro split. 5 days a week, sometimes 6 when I’m prepping. The last few years the progress has slowed down, and I’m still under 30. So I’m trying something new with a DC/ Fortitude training approach.

About 3x in a 10 day period is what it comes out to with me. 2 way split 3 days per week. I think effort/intensity is more important than frequency or volume tbh. If a guy hits a muscle 1x a week but he adds 2.5 lbs each week then that’s 130lbs in a year. 5lbs and that’s 260lbs more load in a year. I’d say regardless of frequency or volume year to year that guy is going to be progressively bigger, he will have to be. How many guys are actually doing this? I think guys waste too much energy and time on useless junk volume. More isn’t better, more is more. If you’re truly busting your ass taking your working sets to failure and beyond then your volume isn’t going to be that high unless you’re Ronnie Coleman.

About 3x in a 10 day period is what it comes out to with me. 2 way split 3 days per week. I think effort/intensity is more important than frequency or volume tbh. If a guy hits a muscle 1x a week but he adds 2.5 lbs each week then that’s 130lbs in a year. 5lbs and that’s 260lbs more load in a year. I’d say regardless of frequency or volume year to year that guy is going to be progressively bigger, he will have to be. How many guys are actually doing this? I think guys waste too much energy and time on useless junk volume. More isn’t better, more is more. If you’re truly busting your ass taking your working sets to failure and beyond then your volume isn’t going to be that high unless you’re Ronnie Coleman.
Low volume all sets to failure and beyond progressive weights.
Yeeeeeeep.

Crazy taper btw.

Low volume all sets to failure and beyond progressive weights.

Just started this recently thanks to Montego and I’m already in love with the new split

Also agreed, that is a gnarly looking back!

Back