• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Q&A - Intensity techniques

Montego

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Ask away guys.

Anything yall wanna know, I.E. What are they, what are different options, when should I use them, what should the rest of my session look like while using them.

This can be a very good thread so let's hear it.

Are you talking partial/ assisted reps at he end of sets? What is your definition of intensity technique? Rest pause DC sets?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you talking partial/ assisted reps at he end of sets? What is your definition of intensity technique? Rest pause DC sets?

All of the above.

So I would consider an intensity technique anything aside from a straight set.

Rest pause
Drop sets
Cluster sets
Time under tension sets
Muscle rounds
1.5's or partial reps
21's
Leverage drop sets

To a lesser degree forced or assisted reps.

And so on.

Training is like most everything in bodybuilding, it goes along with a trend. The trend is usually associated with whoever is Mr Olympia or, in recent years, whoever is very popular.

We had Arnold and training was thought to be hours in the gym, tons of volume.

Then it stayed in that lane until Dorian came along. Dorian is a special case because during his time every other notable Bodybuilder was still leaning on the high volume approach. What he did in terms of training was thought to be pretty outside of the box with some outlyers like Mentzer and hit training.

When he stepped on stage in 93 it was undoubtedly the biggest change in a reigning Mr Olympias physique ever. It was undeniable that what he was doing in the gym was working and we've got blood and guts training.

Few years down the road along comes Ronnie. Ronnie is special too because, NOBODY could do what Ronnie did. Unimaginable weights for not only high reps, tons of volume. Training started to shift back to the higher volume.

We stayed on this path for pretty much twenty years or so. Jay, dexter, Phil and even Ramy now.

What HAS changed is the influence of social media though. Now we're seeing popular guys with amazing physiques such as Hunter Labrada, James Hollingshead, Ian Vallier, Martin Fitz, Nick Walker, Jordan Peters and many more who have reverted back to the idea of much lower volume and higher frequency, heavy loads, gut busting sets.

I personally prescribed to this philosophy as well. The guys who are freaks will grow doing whatever. I think the difference is, us less gifted individuals really thrive on the low volume approach. I believe this has also given rise to a larger number of quality physiques overall. You don't have many shows now where there is a clear cut winner, the second group of guys are getting better and better and the gap has closed.

To this point, with the higher frequency lower volume approach, intensity techniques are used more and more.

To smartly put together a program, knowing when to use these during the session and which ones to use can REALLY make a huge difference in continuing to progress OR digging the recovery hole too deep given the frequency and volume you're using.

Ok!! Intensity techniques in general during a prep or no? Specifically in last 6 weeks or so. My thinking is, especially if you work a regular job with ot etc, the recovery ability just isnt there. What say you?

UNCLE Z REP

WWW.UNCLEZ.RU FOR LIST/ORDERING

Ian and cbum were 4 weeks out killing themselves with 20 rep heavy weight then another 10 partials. They even threw in muscles rounds as they said to get the lactic whatever going in the muscles. They did not appear to do this on the bigger heavier compound lifts but as soon as they hit the machines it was all out tell they wore smoked. Granted they are high level - would you only suggest the intensity on only a couple of sets or use the whole workout as like muscle rounds in the fortitude system?

Ok!! Intensity techniques in general during a prep or no? Specifically in last 6 weeks or so. My thinking is, especially if you work a regular job with ot etc, the recovery ability just isnt there. What say you?

UNCLE Z REP

WWW.UNCLEZ.RU FOR LIST/ORDERING
I fully believe in a prep, you dance with who brung ya.

If you trained hard and heavy during your off season and you made good progress, you don't change how you train.

The only time I would change training during prep would be the final week or two OR if a client isn't recovering or is having issues with injury and such. In those cases, volume or frequency would likely be adjusted before set types unless, certain set types were for sure causing an issue.

Training during prep is a huge factor in not just keeping muscle but, getting into shape. The amount of energy you burn during a training session greatly outweighs a thirty minute cardio session if, the training is intense.

I said all that to say, yes. The intensifiers are fine too leave in during prep, and I would suggest using them, as long as you're not digging a hole in recovery....... You really need to know your body to realize these things changing but, a couple things to look for, large dips in weight and strength. You're going to lose strength but, it shouldn't be huge amounts.

Ian and cbum were 4 weeks out killing themselves with 20 rep heavy weight then another 10 partials. They even threw in muscles rounds as they said to get the lactic whatever going in the muscles. They did not appear to do this on the bigger heavier compound lifts but as soon as they hit the machines it was all out tell they wore smoked. Granted they are high level - would you only suggest the intensity on only a couple of sets or use the whole workout as like muscle rounds in the fortitude system?

It would depend on frequency and volume.

I personally like 1-2 total IT (intensity technique sets) per body part. So for chest, a rest pause for Incline hammer and then maybe a drop set or a time under tension set for a fly.

When it comes to IT, rest pause sets and muscle rounds are on the extreme end of the scale imo and shouldn't be used in multiple sets for a body part. I would add one of those to your "heavy exercise" like a machine (safe exercises are essential here) and use something else for an isolation movement.

The preceeding sets of that exercise will matter to...... I'll keep using an Incline machine.

Let's say you have 2 straight sets, then your IT. I would keep those straight sets to a rep or two short of FAILURE. True FAILURE, not "I might not get it", I mean, "I just ground out that rep, I can hardly rack it" .... One less then that. The hard part is finding where that is for yourself which is why a log book is SO important.

Also, fortitude has one day for upper and one day for lower muscle rounds and they're only 1-2 total muscle rounds per body part.

The other days there are no muscle rounds.

Back