• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Best way to increase appetite?

MONSTRO

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Alot of people think that cutting diet is the hardest think in fitness industry, maybe because they never try to grow muscle eating real good food . Im an athlete and i live both situations and i can tell is much harder to bulk eating real food without hungry. And even harder when you are on bulking for long time , thinks are getting even harder.

But we always have to find a solution to our problems, to keep improving :

*Some coaches use the "Mini Cut" method. This is nothing more than reduce calories add some cardio to increase your metabolism and give you hunger again to keep going with the goal of bulking .

*Other method is using drugs to increase hunger.
*The more know drug used to increase appetite is Periactin super used by top coaches like George F. and he increases hunger so well, stomach finishes digesting food in 45 min, never bloated no matter how much I eat, sleep like a baby. The only problem is the huge lethargy. Dose is from 4mg to 12 , but the normal in bodybuilding to increase hunger is 4mg 3 times per day.
*MK677 an orally active growth hormone secretagogue that increases your natural hgh levels , doing that gives you amazing sleep, pump in gym, increases muscle fibers, improves skin health and gives you an insane hunger and decreases insulin sensitivity because it keeps pusing hgh 24h day . Dosage goes from 10 to 30mg per day.
GHRP6 is a peptide that increases your natural hgh , but is more used to increase hunger on bulking , works almost like MK677 without decreasing insulin sensitivity because as a short half life . Dosage is 100mcg 3x day , best 30min prior to a meal.

Many other thinks are used like smoking weed , Megestrol Acetate.

Monstro

Attachments

• 42-500x500.jpg
    42-500x500.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 94
Thank you, Monstro. Excellent information.

Not sure if others have experienced this, but when on EQ, doses at around 700-800/week, after the fifth week, my hunger reaches levels I have never known before.......third world type hunger....and I am not trying to be insensitive towards starving people. I literally have never known such hunger, even in my heaviest days of smoking weed when two footlong subway subs still couldn't beat the hunger. Insatiable appetite......

EQ, for me = ravenous hunger that can't be satiated.

Really good post! I wait until I am ready to get ripped and the compounds take away my appetite and my sleep! Lol. Kidding.
Some people seem to not be able to eat the food, ghrp6, mk677, gh, or combo really make you eat like an animal. High EQ can increase appetite in a h high percentage of people but not if they get anxiety . It gives me none as long as I take Gh , test , and SAMe . I wish I was a hard gainer sometimes. I had a kid that was 18 and he literally could eat 7-8kcals a day and wouldn’t put on Bodyfat! He was natural of course but still . I love food so much but , I have to eat for fuel and not pleasure. I can remember last time I ever walked into a fast food place . I still eat junk but I make most of it.

Gaining weight is definitely not as fun as people think. I have to stretch, so yoga(just 10min) a day online. But it helps . Getting stiff sucks !

Max

I stick with foods that digest easy and quickly.

I used to take a lot of GHRP-6.. but I would usually end up killing a box of cereal on top of whatever my regular meal was.

Digestive enzymes also help.

Thank you, Monstro. Excellent information.

Not sure if others have experienced this, but when on EQ, doses at around 700-800/week, after the fifth week, my hunger reaches levels I have never known before.......third world type hunger....and I am not trying to be insensitive towards starving people. I literally have never known such hunger, even in my heaviest days of smoking weed when two footlong subway subs still couldn't beat the hunger. Insatiable appetite......

EQ, for me = ravenous hunger that can't be satiated.

I think boldenone is the most used method to increase hunger , thats why many athletes use bolde instead of deca in the offseason . But like many other compounds bolde works amazing increasing appetite for some people but dis nothing for others even used at higher dosages , i get alot ansiety from bolde even more than with trenbolone

Sexy seems to do it for me always hungry afterwards

I used to take a lot of GHRP-6.. but I would usually end up killing a box of cereal on top of whatever my regular meal was.

So true! I had a dynobites phase ! Big bag in Panty unopened! Lol. I take a look everytime I go to grab a tub or container of protein.

Max

For me THC is the best (admittedly I haven't used it in 15+ years and don't like it)

But the thing about the THC hunger is it also makes food taste better (for me) and so I literally can eat like 10x the normal rate.

MK677, GHRPs and yes this is a great post, even the Megestrol works too.

I recall prepping with some very well known Bodybuilders (can't name names) in the late 90s and early 2000s. You would smoke weed to eat several times per day and then you would use adderall not to eat.

LMAO, most guys were just high all day.

I recall seeing a buddy take a huge hit off a bong then we went and lifted in the gym ( I didn't smoke) This clown was walking around just lost. Might have done one warmup set and just was lost for like an hour. Staring at people. Staring at a wall. Eating food.

He had no clue where he was LOL! I hear some guys like weed for PWO. I couldn't do it.

This right here, A lot of it has to do with the type of diet and a lot of people just shove food down their throat hoping to grow..
Smaller portions with the correct ratios with nothing more and nothing less, simply just everything that the body needs at that very given moment, digestive enzymes and probiotics at night along with fiber also goes a long way and it sets you up for the next day..
Even fasted cardio in the AM, it doesn't have to be aggressive but just enough to stimulate..

Some years ago I had a write up about the same thing using this antihistamine that has been prescribed for its off label properties for appetite stimulation however it can come at a cost with making people drowsy and they would often incorporate caffeine beverages to offset this effect and that ultimately would suppress the appetite..

Again back to your post, people need to get more fiber in their diet, or take fiber powder before bed and probiotics.. keep that digestive system going..
Along with plenty of hydration..

Also keeping PED use at a reasonable dose anything excessive can be counterproductive especially orals..

IML Gear Cream!
Having the exact right foods that you like is super important(with supplements as well). I find if I don’t like it; I rarely use properly. I like heavy foods around lunch and breakefat and lighter cleaner dinners suck mmm as these :
Chile Colorado Homemade is my favorite because I use a whole 4-5lb roast and the fat melt right off in a fat free , mixed chiles some water/broth and tne left overs are a great addition to anything macro wise. I can make pure keto or heavy protein, High Carbs entrees . I usually make Red Beef Colorado and on Green Chile verde Pork or Whole Chicken Mole as shred or dine the Meat. Great for food all week and more. With seafood, I only use exact portion because it isn’t good reheated and should be eaten the day it is defrosted Or Fresh(unless Canned Tuna or something). This one is the stuff but, a definite cheat meal the way I made it. The others I can do pure meat without any extra bad stuff. Lol.
171a627d51da57eb38920d76ea932d42.plist

5c256252155b129c38ede639637a1e2f.plist

I found that raw nuts that is like ; I buy in bulk for when I need some good fats/calorie dense and good for the brain and Heart. I roast them with Evoo and coarse sea salt and cracked pepper, all kind of flavors but I buy Raw . Nuts.com or Walmart has been cheap.

Max

This right here, A lot of it has to do with the type of diet and a lot of people just shove food down their throat hoping to grow..
Smaller portions with the correct ratios with nothing more and nothing less, simply just everything that the body needs at that very given moment, digestive enzymes and probiotics at night along with fiber also goes a long way and it sets you up for the next day..
Even fasted cardio in the AM, it doesn't have to be aggressive but just enough to stimulate..

Some years ago I had a write up about the same thing using this antihistamine that has been prescribed for its off label properties for appetite stimulation however it can come at a cost with making people drowsy and they would often incorporate caffeine beverages to offset this effect and that ultimately would suppress the appetite..

Again back to your post, people need to get more fiber in their diet, or take fiber powder before bed and probiotics.. keep that digestive system going..
Along with plenty of hydration..

Also keeping PED use at a reasonable dose anything excessive can be counterproductive especially orals..

Vision as you always said "without enough food you cant grow , if you dont gain weight you need more food ". Not just you but almost all forums you find to eat even more and more to grow. Fiber reduce hunger and that way even harder to eat enough . Water , proboitics and enzimes are a must for any athlete . We all know the use of orals kills appetite but we also know they are a huge help to grow ( dianabol is one of the best mass builders ever made ) . MK677 works amazing increasing hunger , so it works amazingly .

For me THC is the best (admittedly I haven't used it in 15+ years and don't like it)

But the thing about the THC hunger is it also makes food taste better (for me) and so I literally can eat like 10x the normal rate.

I recall prepping with some very well known Bodybuilders (can't name names) in the late 90s and early 2000s. You would smoke weed to eat several times per day and then you would use adderall not to eat.

I recall seeing a buddy take a huge hit off a bong then we went and lifted in the gym ( I didn't smoke) This clown was walking around just lost. Might have done one warmup set and just was lost for like an hour. Staring at people. Staring at a wall. Eating food.

He had no clue where he was LOL! I hear some guys like weed for PWO. I couldn't do it.

I use weed when i was young and i eat a box of cereal with one liter of milk easy . And Adderall i use in my first competition just on contest day and this cheat is amazing , not cheap but incredible .

Having the exact right foods that you like is super important(with supplements as well). I find if I don’t like it; I rarely use properly. I like heavy foods around lunch and breakefat and lighter cleaner dinners suck mmm as these :
Chile Colorado Homemade is my favorite because I use a whole 4-5lb roast and the fat melt right off in a fat free , mixed chiles some water/broth and tne left overs are a great addition to anything macro wise. I can make pure keto or heavy protein, High Carbs entrees . I usually make Red Beef Colorado and on Green Chile verde Pork or Whole Chicken Mole as shred or dine the Meat. Great for food all week and more. With seafood, I only use exact portion because it isn’t good reheated and should be eaten the day it is defrosted Or Fresh(unless Canned Tuna or something). This one is the stuff but, a definite cheat meal the way I made it. The others I can do pure meat without any extra bad stuff. Lol.
171a627d51da57eb38920d76ea932d42.plist

5c256252155b129c38ede639637a1e2f.plist

I found that raw nuts that is like ; I buy in bulk for when I need some good fats/calorie dense and good for the brain and Heart. I roast them with Evoo and coarse sea salt and cracked pepper, all kind of flavors but I buy Raw . Nuts.com or Walmart has been cheap.

Max

Looks delicious!!! Good stuff

I use weed when i was young and i eat a box of cereal with one liter of milk easy . And Adderall i use in my first competition just on contest day and this cheat is amazing , not cheap but incredible .

Indeed Monstro, Adderall's ability to stifle appetite is impressive and it's ability to help you focus and stay energized is incredible. I have an adderall prescription that I occasionally use when I am trying to shed a couple pounds or just want to dial in 100% on a gym day. Granted, there are some potential blood pressure and dependency side effects from long term adderall use, but the medication is extremely potent and effective if utilized properly.

-

Last edited:
Indeed Monstro, Adderall's ability to stifle appetite is impressive and it's ability to help you focus and stay energized is incredible. I have an adderall prescription that I occasionally use when I am trying to shed a couple pounds or just want to dial in 100% on a gym day. Granted, there are some potential blood pressure and dependency side effects from long term adderall use, but the medication is extremely potent and effective if utilized properly.

-

Is a potent drug and should be used only on special cases like last weeks to compete , to go onstage and be confident and focus .

So weird how diff. things affect people diff. ways. Used to have this friend in college- could smoke killer ass weed and fricken kill it in the weight room- could also get TRASHED and go ace a calculus exam. i'd be in the corner of the weight room giggling and be lucky too fill out my name correctly on the calculus test. Weed makes me eat until my jaws get tired of chewing and adderall makes me go 2 days w/o eating anything- got to be a happy medium somewhere. EQ has me eating while sleepwalking-seriously they'll be remnants of me eating, but won't remember the next morning-prob. not good- choke to death while eating asleep. What a way to go! Most juice increases my app., clen helps curb it- main thing for me is eating the RIGHT FOOD-and @ my age plenty of fiber.

Back in the days..we all got big eating pussy
But we were all late for home room the next day

Did u like using ghrp6?

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Get Shredded!

My favorite pre workout is bronkaid though it makes me sweat so much that it's annoying

This ^^^
Cannabis. I had this disease that made me really sick to where I couldn't eat all actually made me lose like 60 lbs.. It sucked haha. Anything I tried to eat would just come back up or wouldn't go down my throat. It still kind of effects me today.. But anyways somedays when my appetite is just shit and I cant eat at all..I do a little THC concentrate and boom I'm able to chow down a full course meal for like 3 people haha. Gotta be careful with the munchies though cuz you can end up eating a whole box of twinkies or cupcakes haha.
If you have a really bad appetite I definitely suggest trying some weed (you dont need a lot) to help that out. And I do like to smoke it sometimes before I workout cuz it doesnt affect my workout in a bad way. I actually feel more in tune with my workout. Good mind muscle connection. Doesnt effect my strength or anything whatsoever.

High dose Test + EQ + Marijuana

Will make even the skinniest of ectomorphs fat

It's a no way for me with marijuana.

I "tried" brownie edibles like 2 years ago.
That shit was what nightmares are made of.
I have never cared for THC, but someone talk to me into trying a brownie.
They made me 4 of them homemade..

They never told me anything about servings. Like any ordinary person would do, you eat the entire brownie, I had 2, because they were delicious of course..
Nothing happened and I went to bed.

That's where the nightmare began.

I woke up and thought I was dying, I kept telling my wife something was wrong with me, she asked me what was wrong with me, and I said I don't know but there's just something wrong with me. I kept going over and over verbally what I was going to say once we got to the ER, because I didn't know how to describe my symptoms. So,
I laid there in sheer panic, ready for my creator to take my soul, her blessed heart was trying to comfort me in every possible way during my last moments..
It was at that instance that she realized and remembered I ate the brownies, she started laughing, I DID NOT LAUGH WITH HER.

it's for that reason I will never do that again. I was wrecked.. The hang Time too on top of it, awful, just awful..

Weed to eat
Coke to cut
Nubain to relax
The 90's were awesome...

Adding some fasted AM cardio, this can fire things up..
Depending on macro intake and goals.. AM fasted cardio is 100% the most effective thing IMO.. depending on what goals are, it can be light, moderate or dialed up a tad..
20mins speed 3 on 6% incline (no hands, no holding bar) is a perfect starting point. Fires the metabolism up and ESPSIALLY helps with nutrition partitioning..

People hate cardio, and some people have the wrong idea about it, most assume its for fat loss only.. Only issue most have is time constraints being fasted AM. Thank goodness I have some equipment at home for that, I wake up and jump right on with head phones after I take my Modafinil and 1 small K-cup or black only. Only downfall its directly right under the air register, I get blasted with heat.. :mad: Its awful in that aspect.
Great for supporting appetite for the rest of the day.. Truly!

Other than that, There's a few things that can work, whether its GHRP6 peptide (injection),
d01XwYc.jpg

or Sarms like MK677 (this can make hunger pangs unbearable,
kwohMW1.jpg

or Cyproheptadine which is an antihistamine, but it has been used for off label properties with treating conditions, syndromes in people that have little to no appetite due to whatever issues that may have trigger the appetite loss. Back in the late 90's early 2000's some pharma companies would in fact add this to their Dbol.

If orals suppress your appetite (dbol/drol)..

Cyproheptadine is a antihistamine, but it has been used for off label properties with treating conditions, syndroms in people that have little to no appetite due to whatever issues that may have trigger the appetite loss.
Back in the late 90's early 2000's some pharma companies would in fact add this to their Dbol, yup, that's right.. Guy's were blowing up like craziness..
I decided to add this once again due to my script meds interfering with my appetite , this will give me the added advantage with wanting to pound some food during difficult times..

2 x 4mg tabs is all you really need, take with your orals (dbol/drol).. take 1 in am and 1 in pm..

cbvdcpl.jpg

Of1YFGL.jpg

Also so more..

Older post I made -

Depression/appetite..Solution for those that suffer!
icon4.png

As some of you know, well the mostly the members that speak to me on a personal level know that I have had my bouts with depression here and there, and trying medication after medication throughout the years..
Often at times when I have a low my appetite naturally takes a hit as well, and struggling to choke down food all the while trying to have a stable steady keel with my outlook..

Last summer I introduced a drug that I was kinda unfamiliar with (just recently re-added it again,glad I did), but did some research on it, and it turned out to be the Swiss army knife of antidepressants... Its role is multi-functional, at the same time not effecting sex drive,libido, ability to cum, or anything that SSIR's do to people..

This drug has been a life saver, not only does it treat my depression like symptoms, but it knocks me the hell out like an ambien would (deep sleep wise)..Further more, its been used to treat people with wasting disorders where they cant eat, or lack of appetite, anorexia..In fact its one of the top 3 most prescribed for treating appetite stimulation.. Dosages will vary.. I started at 30mgs and I was blown away on how well I was sleeping, and the increase and desire to eat was out of this world, it actually became problematic at night lol... I now take the max dosage at 45mgs, sleep is sound, and appetite has been like that or a carnivore.

side effects? zero for me.... maybe a bit groggy upon waking up, but nothing a dark roast can't fix...

Its a great alternative to the other crap those Dr have pushed on me for years..Here's some info below, I hope this can assist anyone out there..

Mirtazapine, sold under the brand name Remeron among others, is an atypical antidepressant which is used primarily in the treatment of depression.[SUP][7][/SUP] In addition to its antidepressant properties, mirtazapine has anxiolytic, sedative, antiemetic, and appetite stimulant effects and is sometimes used in the treatment of anxiety disorders, insomnia, nausea and vomiting, and to produce weight gain when desirable.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][8][/SUP] It is taken by mouth.
The drug acts as an antagonist of certain adrenergic and serotonin receptors, and is also a strong antihistamine.[SUP][7][/SUP] It is sometimes described as a noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant (NaSSA),[SUP][7][/SUP] although the actual evidence in support of this label has been regarded as poor.[SUP][9][/SUP] Chemically, mirtazapine is a tetracyclic antidepressant (TeCA), with four interconnected rings of atoms, and is a relative of the TeCA mianserin(Tolvon).[SUP][10][11][/SUP]
Mirtazapine was developed by Organon International in the Netherlands and was introduced in the United States in 1996.[SUP][4][/SUP] Its patent expired in 2004, so generic versions are available.[SUP][12]

[/SUP]
Approved and off-label[edit]

Mirtazapine's primary use is the treatment of major depressive disorder and other mood disorders.[SUP][13][14][/SUP]
However, it has also been found useful in alleviating the following conditions and is sometimes prescribed off-label for their treatment:

Effectiveness and tolerability[edit]

In 2010 NICE published a guideline for treating depression that included a review of antidepressants. It recommended generic SSRIs as first line choices, as they are "equally effective as other antidepressants and have a favourable risk–benefit ratio."[SUP][29][/SUP] With respect to mirtazapine, it found: "There is no difference between mirtazapine and other antidepressants on any efficacy measure, although in terms of achieving remission mirtazapine appears to have a statistical though not clinical advantage. In addition, mirtazapine has a statistical advantage over SSRIs in terms of reducing symptoms of depression, but the difference is not clinically important. However, there is strong evidence that patients taking mirtazapine are less likely to leave treatment early because of side effects, although this is not the case for patients reporting side effects or leaving treatment early for any reason."[SUP][30][/SUP]
A 2011 Cochrane review that compared mirtazapine to other antidepressants, found that while it appears to have a faster onset in people for whom it works (measured at 2 weeks), it is about the same as other antidepressants at 6 weeks.[SUP][31][/SUP]
A 2012 review focused on antidepressants and sleep found that in many people with sleep disorders caused by depression, mirtazapine reduces the time it takes to fall asleep and increases the quality of sleep, but that in some people it can disturb sleep, causing restless leg syndrome in 8 to 28% of people, and in rare cases causes REM sleep behavior disorder.[SUP][32][/SUP]
A 2018 systematic review and network meta-analysis comparing the efficacy and acceptability of 21 antidepressant drugs showed mirtazapine to be one of the most effective antidepressants in head-to-head studies.[SUP][33][/SUP]
In general, all antidepressants, including mirtazapine, require at least a week for their therapeutic benefits on depressive and anxious symptoms to become apparent.[SUP][34][35][/SUP]
Side effects[edit]

A 2011 Cochrane review found that compared with other antidepressants, it is more likely to cause weight gain and sleepiness, but it is less likely to cause tremor than tricyclic antidepressants, and less likely to cause nausea and sexual dysfunction than SSRIs.[SUP][31][/SUP]
Very common (≥10% incidence) adverse effects include constipation, dry mouth, sleepiness, increased appetite and weight gain.[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][36][/SUP][SUP][37][/SUP][SUP][38][/SUP][SUP][39][/SUP][SUP][40][41][/SUP]
Common (1–10% incidence) adverse effects include weakness, confusion, dizziness, peripheral edema, and negative lab results like elevated transaminases, elevated serum triglycerides, and elevated total cholesterol.[SUP][6][/SUP]
Mirtazapine is not considered to have a risk of many of the side effects often associated with other antidepressants like the SSRIs, and may actually improve certain ones when taken in conjunction with them.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][42][/SUP] (Those adverse effects include decreased appetite, weight loss, insomnia, nausea and vomiting, diarrhoea, urinary retention, increased body temperature, excessive sweating, pupil dilation and sexual dysfunction.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][42][/SUP])
In general, some antidepressants, especially SSRIs, can paradoxically exacerbate some peoples' depression or anxiety or cause suicidal ideation.[SUP][43][/SUP] Despite its sedating action, mirtazapine is also believed to be capable of this, so in the United States and certain other countries, it carries a black box label warning of these potential effects.
A case report published in 2000 noted an instance in which mirtazapine counteracted the action of clonidine, causing a dangerous rise in blood pressure.[SUP][44][/SUP]
Discontinuation[edit]

Mirtazapine and other antidepressants may cause a discontinuation syndrome upon cessation.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][45][/SUP][SUP][46][/SUP] A gradual and slow reduction in dose is recommended to minimize discontinuation symptoms.[SUP][47][/SUP] Effects of sudden cessation of treatment with mirtazapine may include depression, anxiety, panic attacks, vertigo, restlessness, irritability, decreased appetite, insomnia, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms such as allergies and pruritus, headaches and sometimes hypomania or mania.[SUP][45][/SUP][SUP][48][/SUP][SUP][49][/SUP][SUP][50][51][/SUP]
Overdose[edit]

Mirtazapine is considered to be relatively safe in the event of an overdose,[SUP][35][/SUP] although it is considered slightly more toxic in overdose than most of the SSRIs (except citalopram).[SUP][52][/SUP] Unlike the tricyclic antidepressants, mirtazapine showed no significant cardiovascularadverse effects at 7 to 22 times the maximum recommended dose.[SUP][42][/SUP] Case reports of overdose with as much as 30 to 50 times the standard dose described the drug as relatively nontoxic, compared to tricyclic antidepressants.[SUP][53][54][/SUP]
Twelve reported fatalities have been attributed to mirtazapine overdose.[SUP][55][/SUP][SUP][56][/SUP] The fatal toxicity index (deaths per million prescriptions) for mirtazapine is 3.1 (95% CI: 0.1 to 17.2). This is similar to that observed with SSRIs.[SUP][57][/SUP]
Interactions[edit]

Concurrent use with inhibitors or inducers of the cytochrome (CYP) P450isoenzymesCYP1A2, CYP2D6, and/or CYP3A4 can result in altered concentrations of mirtazapine, as these are the main enzymes responsible for its metabolism.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP] As examples, fluoxetine and paroxetine, inhibitors of these enzymes, are known to modestly increase mirtazapine levels, while carbamazepine, an inducer, considerably decreases them.[SUP][3][/SUP]Liver and moderate renal impairment have been reported to decrease the oral clearance of mirtazapine by about 30%; severe renal impairment decreases it by 50%.[SUP][3][/SUP]
According to information from the manufacturers, mirtazapine should not be started within two weeks of any monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) usage; likewise, MAOIs should not be administered within two weeks of discontinuing mirtazapine.[SUP][58][/SUP] Mirtazapine in combination with an SSRI, SNRI, or TCA as an augmentation strategy is considered to be relatively safe and is often employed therapeutically,[SUP][42][/SUP] with a combination of venlafaxine and mirtazapine, sometimes referred to as "California rocket fuel".[SUP][59][60][/SUP]
Pharmacology[edit]

Pharmacodynamics[edit]

See also: Pharmacology of antidepressants and Tetracyclic antidepressant § Pharmacology
SiteK[SUB]i[/SUB] (nM)SpeciesRef
SERT>10,000Human[SUP][62][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
NET≥4,600Human[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][62][/SUP]
DAT>10,000Human[SUP][62][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]1A[/SUB]3,330–5,010Human[SUP][63][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]1B[/SUB]3,534–12,600Human[SUP][63][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]1D[/SUB]794–5,010Human[SUP][63][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]1E[/SUB]728Human[SUP][63][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]1F[/SUB]583Human[SUP][63][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]2A[/SUB]6.3–69Human[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]2B[/SUB]200Human[SUP][7][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]2C[/SUB]8.9–39Human[SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]3[/SUB]7.9Human[SUP][7][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]4L[/SUB]>10,000Human[SUP][63][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]5A[/SUB]670Human[SUP][63][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]6[/SUB]NDNDND[SUP][63][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]7[/SUB]265Human[SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
α[SUB]1A[/SUB]316–1,815Human[SUP][63][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
α[SUB]2A[/SUB]20Human[SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
α[SUB]2B[/SUB]88Human[SUP][63][/SUP]
α[SUB]2C[/SUB]18Human[SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
β>10,000Human[SUP][63][/SUP]
D[SUB]1[/SUB]4,167Rat[SUP][64][/SUP]
D[SUB]2[/SUB]>5,454Human[SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
D[SUB]3[/SUB]5,723Human[SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
D[SUB]4[/SUB]2,518Human[SUP][63][/SUP]
H[SUB]1[/SUB]0.14–1.6Human[SUP][65][/SUP][SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
H[SUB]2[/SUB]>10,000Rat[SUP][66][/SUP][SUP][65][/SUP]
H[SUB]3[/SUB]83,200Human[SUP][65][/SUP]
H[SUB]4[/SUB]>100,000Human[SUP][65][/SUP]
mACh670Human[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][10][/SUP]
VGSC6,905Rat[SUP][63][/SUP]
VDCC>10,000Rat[SUP][63][/SUP]
Values are K[SUB]i[/SUB] (nM). The smaller the value, the more strongly the drug binds to the site.
Mirtazapine has antihistamine, α[SUB]2[/SUB]-blocker, and antiserotonergic activity.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][67][/SUP] It is specifically a potent antagonist or inverse agonist of the α[SUB]2A[/SUB]-, α[SUB]2B[/SUB]-, and α[SUB]2C[/SUB]-adrenergic receptors, the serotonin5-HT[SUB]2A[/SUB], 5-HT[SUB]2C[/SUB], and 5-HT[SUB]3[/SUB]receptors, and the histamineH[SUB]1[/SUB] receptor.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][67][/SUP] Unlike many other antidepressants, it does not inhibit the reuptake of serotonin, norepinephrine, or dopamine,[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][67][/SUP] nor does it inhibit monoamine oxidase.[SUP][68][/SUP] Similarly, mirtazapine has weak or no activity as an anticholinergic or blocker of sodium or calcium channels, in contrast to most TCAs.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][67][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP] In accordance, it has better tolerability and low toxicity in overdose.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][69][/SUP] As an H[SUB]1[/SUB] receptor antagonist, mirtazapine is extremely potent, and is in fact the most potent of all the TCAs and TeCAs.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][70][/SUP][SUP][71][/SUP] Antagonism of the H[SUB]1[/SUB] receptor is by far the strongest activity of mirtazapine, with the drug acting as a selective H[SUB]1[/SUB]receptor antagonist at low concentrations.[SUP][7][63][/SUP]
The (S)-(+) enantiomer of mirtazapine is responsible for antagonism of the serotonin 5-HT[SUB]2A[/SUB] and 5-HT[SUB]2C[/SUB] receptors,[SUP][11][/SUP] while the (R)-(–) enantiomer is responsible for antagonism of the 5-HT[SUB]3[/SUB] receptor.[SUP][11][/SUP] Both enantiomers are involved in antagonism of the H[SUB]1[/SUB] and α[SUB]2[/SUB]-adrenergic receptors,[SUP][11][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] although the (S)-(+) enantiomer is the stronger antihistamine.[SUP][72][/SUP]
Although not clinically relevant, mirtazapine has been found to act as a partial agonist of the κ-opioid receptor at high concentrations (EC[SUB]50[/SUB] = 7.2 μM).[SUP][73][/SUP]
α[SUB]2[/SUB]-Adrenergic receptor[edit]

Antagonism of the α[SUB]2[/SUB]-adrenergic receptors, which function largely as inhibitoryautoreceptors and heteroreceptors, enhances adrenergic and serotonergicneurotransmission, notably central5-HT[SUB]1A[/SUB] receptor mediated transmission in the dorsal raphe nucleus and hippocampus; hence, mirtazapine's classification as a NaSSA. Indirect α[SUB]1[/SUB] adrenoceptor-mediated enhancement of serotonin cell firing and direct blockade of inhibitory α[SUB]2[/SUB]heteroreceptors located on serotonin terminals are held responsible for the increase in extracellular serotonin.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][13][/SUP][SUP][74][/SUP][SUP][75][/SUP][SUP][76][/SUP] Because of this, mirtazapine has been said to be a functional "indirect agonist" of the 5-HT[SUB]1A[/SUB]receptor.[SUP][75][/SUP] Increased activation of the central 5-HT[SUB]1A[/SUB] receptor is thought to be a major mediator of efficacy of most antidepressant drugs.[SUP][77][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]2[/SUB] and 5-HT[SUB]3[/SUB] receptors[edit]

Antagonism of the 5-HT[SUB]2[/SUB] subfamily of receptors and inverse agonism of the 5-HT[SUB]2C[/SUB] receptor appears to be in part responsible for mirtazapine's efficacy in the treatment of depressive states.[SUP][78][/SUP][SUP][79][/SUP] Mirtazapine increases dopamine release in the prefrontal cortex.[SUP][80][/SUP][SUP][81][/SUP] Accordingly, it was shown that by blocking the α[SUB]2[/SUB]-adrenergic receptors and 5-HT[SUB]2C[/SUB] receptors mirtazapine disinhibited dopamine and norepinephrine activity in these areas in rats.[SUP][82][/SUP] In addition, mirtazapine's antagonism of 5-HT[SUB]2A[/SUB] receptors has beneficial effects on anxiety, sleep and appetite, as well as sexual function regarding the latter receptor.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][42][/SUP] Mirtazapine has been shown to lower drug seeking behaviour in various human and animal studies.[SUP][83][/SUP][SUP][84][/SUP][SUP][85][/SUP] It is also being investigated in substance abuse disorders to reduce withdrawal effects and improve remission rates.[SUP][83][/SUP][SUP][86][/SUP][SUP][87][88][/SUP]
Antagonism of the 5-HT[SUB]3[/SUB] receptor, an action mirtazapine shares with the approved antiemetic ondansetron, significantly improves pre-existing symptoms of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and irritable bowel syndrome in afflicted individuals.[SUP][89][/SUP] Mirtazapine may be used as an inexpensive antiemetic alternative to ondansetron.[SUP][24][/SUP] Blockade of the 5-HT[SUB]3[/SUB] receptors has also shown to improve anxiety and to be effective in the treatment of drug addiction in several studies.[SUP][90][/SUP] In conjunction with substance abuse counseling, mirtazapine has been investigated for the purpose of reducing methamphetamine use in dependent individuals with success.[SUP][84][/SUP] In contrast to mirtazapine, the SSRIs, SNRIs, MAOIs, and some TCAs increase the general activity of the 5-HT[SUB]2A[/SUB], 5-HT[SUB]2C[/SUB], and 5-HT[SUB]3[/SUB] receptors leading to a host of negative changes and side effects, the most prominent of which including anorexia, insomnia, sexual dysfunction (loss of libido and anorgasmia), nausea, and diarrhea, among others. As a result, it is often combined with these drugs to reduce their side-effect profile and to produce a stronger antidepressant effect.
Mirtazapine does not have serotonergic activity and does not cause serotonergic side effects or serotonin syndrome. This is in accordance with the fact that it is not a serotonin reuptake inhibitor or MAOI, nor a serotonin receptor agonist.[SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][92][/SUP] There are no reports of serotonin syndrome in association with mirtazapine alone, and mirtazapine has not been found to cause serotonin syndrome in overdose.[SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][92][/SUP][SUP][93][/SUP] However, there are a handful of case reports of serotonin syndrome occurring with mirtazapine in combination with serotonergic drugs like SSRIs, although such reports are unusual, very rare, and do not necessarily implicate mirtazapine as causative.[SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][94][/SUP][SUP][95][/SUP][SUP][96][/SUP][SUP][97][/SUP][SUP][98][/SUP] The addition of mirtazapine to an MAOI does not cause serotonin syndrome, and has been considered to be a safe combination.[SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][92][/SUP] Moreover, mirtazapine may actually be useful in the treatment of serotonin syndrome, with at least one publication finding it to be effective in resolving the syndrome.[SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][99][/SUP][SUP][100][/SUP] This is in accordance with the fact that the 5-HT[SUB]2A[/SUB] receptor is the predominant serotonin receptor thought to be involved in the pathophysiology of serotonin syndrome (with the 1A[/SUB] receptor seeming to be protective). Mirtazapine is a potent 5-HT receptor antagonist, and cyproheptadine, a drug that shares this property, mediates recovery from serotonin syndrome and is well-established clinically as an antidote against it.

Mirtazapine is a very strong H[SUB]1[/SUB] receptor inverse agonist and, as a result, it can cause powerful sedative and hypnotic effects.[SUP][7][/SUP] A single 15 mg dose of mirtazapine to healthy volunteers has been found to result in over 80% occupancy of the H[SUB]1[/SUB] receptor and to induce intense sleepiness.[SUP][72][/SUP] After a short period of chronic treatment, however, the H[SUB]1[/SUB] receptor tends to desensitize and the antihistamine effects become more tolerable. Many patients may also dose at night to avoid the effects, and this appears to be an effective strategy for combating them. Blockade of the H[SUB]1[/SUB] receptor may improve pre-existing allergies, pruritus, nausea, and insomnia in afflicted individuals. It may also contribute to weight gain, however. In contrast to the H[SUB]1[/SUB] receptor, mirtazapine has only low affinity for the muscarinic acetylcholine receptors, although anticholinergic side effects like dry mouth, constipation, and mydriasis are still sometimes seen in clinical practice.[SUP][102][/SUP]
Pharmacokinetics[edit]

The oralbioavailability of mirtazapine is about 50%. It is found mostly bound to plasma proteins, about 85%. It is metabolized primarily in the liver by demethylation and hydroxylation via cytochrome P450enzymes. One of its major metabolites is desmethylmirtazapine. The overall elimination half-life is 20–40 hours. About 15% is eliminated in feces and 75% in urine.[SUP][103]:430[/SUP]
History[edit]

Mirtazapine was first synthesized at Organon and published in 1989, was first approved for use in major depressive disorder in the Netherlands in 1994, and was introduced in the United States in 1996 under the brand name Remeron.[SUP][103][/SUP][SUP]:429[/SUP][SUP][104][105][/SUP]
Society and culture[edit]

A 15 mg tablet of generic mirtazapine.
Generic names[edit]

Mirtazapine is the English and Frenchgeneric name of the drug and its INN, USAN, USP, BAN, DCF, and JAN.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][106][/SUP] Its generic name in Spanish is mirtazapina, in German is Mirtazapin, and in Latin is mirtazapinum.[SUP][1][2][/SUP]
Brand names[edit]

Mirtazapine is marketed under many brand names worldwide, including Adco-Mirteron, Afloyan, Amirel, Arintapin Smelt, Avanza, Azapin, Beron, Bilanz, Calixta, Ciblex, Combar, Comenter, Depreram, Divaril, Esprital, Maz, Menelat, Mepirzapine, Merdaten, Meronin, Mi Er Ning, Milivin, Minelza, Minivane, Mirastad, Mirazep, Miro, Miron, Mirrador, Mirt, Mirta, Mirtabene, Mirtadepi, Mirtagamma, Mirtagen, Mirtalan, Mirtamor, Mirtamylan, Mirtan, Mirtaneo, Mirtapax, Mirtapil, Mirtapine, Mirtaron, Mirtastad, Mirtax, Mirtaz, Mirtazap, Mirtazapin, Mirtazapina, Mirtazapine, Mirtazapinum, Mirtazelon, Mirtazon, Mirtazonal, Mirtel, Mirtimash, Mirtin, Mirtine, Mirzapine, Mirzaten, Mirzest, Mitaprex, Mitaxind, Mitocent, Mitrazin, Mizapin, Motofen, Mytra, Norset, Noxibel, Pharmataz, Promyrtil, Ramure, Redepra, Reflex, Remergil, Remergon, Remeron, Remirta, Rexer, Saxib, Sinmaron, Smilon, Tazepin, Tazimed, Tetrazic, Tifona, U-Mirtaron, U-zepine, Valdren, Vastat, Velorin, Yarocen, Zania, Zapex, Zestat, Zismirt, Zispin, Zuleptan, and Zulin.[SUP][2][/SUP]
Chemistry[edit]

Mirtazapine is a tetracyclic piperazinoazepine; mianserin was developed by the same team of organic chemists and mirtazapine differs from it via addition of a nitrogen atom in one of the rings.[SUP][103][/SUP][SUP]:429[/SUP][SUP][107][/SUP][SUP][108][/SUP] It is a racemic mixture of enantiomers. The (S)-(+)-enantiomer is known as esmirtazapine.
Analogues of mirtazapine include mianserin, setiptiline, and aptazapine.
Synthesis[edit]

A chemical synthesis of mirtazapine has been published.[SUP][109][/SUP]
Research[edit]

The use of mirtazapine has been explored in several additional conditions:

Veterinary use[edit]

Last edited:
It's a no way for me with marijuana.

I "tried" brownie edibles like 2 years ago.
That shit was what nightmares are made of.
I have never cared for THC, but someone talk to me into trying a brownie.
They made me 4 of them homemade..

They never told me anything about servings. Like any ordinary person would do, you eat the entire brownie, I had 2, because they were delicious of course..
Nothing happened and I went to bed.

That's where the nightmare began.

I woke up and thought I was dying, I kept telling my wife something was wrong with me, she asked me what was wrong with me, and I said I don't know but there's just something wrong with me. I kept going over and over verbally what I was going to say once we got to the ER, because I didn't know how to describe my symptoms. So,
I laid there in sheer panic, ready for my creator to take my soul, her blessed heart was trying to comfort me in every possible way during my last moments..
It was at that instance that she realized and remembered I ate the brownies, she started laughing, I DID NOT LAUGH WITH HER.

it's for that reason I will never do that again. I was wrecked.. The hang Time too on top of it, awful, just awful..
Hilarious story vis lol edibles are great for sleep and relaxation, BUT if only used for that purpose and no other form of THC consumed for recreational use under 30mg is where you want to hover around. 50mg max for a more stout feeling. Can’t believe they just gave you brownies and didn’t warn you about not eating them all at once lol

Adding some fasted AM cardio, this can fire things up..
Depending on macro intake and goals.. AM fasted cardio is 100% the most effective thing IMO.. depending on what goals are, it can be light, moderate or dialed up a tad..
20mins speed 3 on 6% incline (no hands, no holding bar) is a perfect starting point. Fires the metabolism up and ESPSIALLY helps with nutrition partitioning..

People hate cardio, and some people have the wrong idea about it, most assume its for fat loss only.. Only issue most have is time constraints being fasted AM. Thank goodness I have some equipment at home for that, I wake up and jump right on with head phones after I take my Modafinil and 1 small K-cup or black only. Only downfall its directly right under the air register, I get blasted with heat.. :mad: Its awful in that aspect.
Great for supporting appetite for the rest of the day.. Truly!

Other than that, There's a few things that can work, whether its GHRP6 peptide (injection),
d01XwYc.jpg

or Sarms like MK677 (this can make hunger pangs unbearable,
kwohMW1.jpg

or Cyproheptadine which is an antihistamine, but it has been used for off label properties with treating conditions, syndromes in people that have little to no appetite due to whatever issues that may have trigger the appetite loss. Back in the late 90's early 2000's some pharma companies would in fact add this to their Dbol.

If orals suppress your appetite (dbol/drol)..

Cyproheptadine is a antihistamine, but it has been used for off label properties with treating conditions, syndroms in people that have little to no appetite due to whatever issues that may have trigger the appetite loss.
Back in the late 90's early 2000's some pharma companies would in fact add this to their Dbol, yup, that's right.. Guy's were blowing up like craziness..
I decided to add this once again due to my script meds interfering with my appetite , this will give me the added advantage with wanting to pound some food during difficult times..

2 x 4mg tabs is all you really need, take with your orals (dbol/drol).. take 1 in am and 1 in pm..

cbvdcpl.jpg

Of1YFGL.jpg

Also so more..

Older post I made -

icon4.png

As some of you know, well the mostly the members that speak to me on a personal level know that I have had my bouts with depression here and there, and trying medication after medication throughout the years..
Often at times when I have a low my appetite naturally takes a hit as well, and struggling to choke down food all the while trying to have a stable steady keel with my outlook..

Last summer I introduced a drug that I was kinda unfamiliar with (just recently re-added it again,glad I did), but did some research on it, and it turned out to be the Swiss army knife of antidepressants... Its role is multi-functional, at the same time not effecting sex drive,libido, ability to cum, or anything that SSIR's do to people..

This drug has been a life saver, not only does it treat my depression like symptoms, but it knocks me the hell out like an ambien would (deep sleep wise)..Further more, its been used to treat people with wasting disorders where they cant eat, or lack of appetite, anorexia..In fact its one of the top 3 most prescribed for treating appetite stimulation.. Dosages will vary.. I started at 30mgs and I was blown away on how well I was sleeping, and the increase and desire to eat was out of this world, it actually became problematic at night lol... I now take the max dosage at 45mgs, sleep is sound, and appetite has been like that or a carnivore.

side effects? zero for me.... maybe a bit groggy upon waking up, but nothing a dark roast can't fix...

Its a great alternative to the other crap those Dr have pushed on me for years..Here's some info below, I hope this can assist anyone out there..

Mirtazapine, sold under the brand name Remeron among others, is an atypical antidepressant which is used primarily in the treatment of depression.[SUP][7][/SUP] In addition to its antidepressant properties, mirtazapine has anxiolytic, sedative, antiemetic, and appetite stimulant effects and is sometimes used in the treatment of anxiety disorders, insomnia, nausea and vomiting, and to produce weight gain when desirable.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][8][/SUP] It is taken by mouth.
The drug acts as an antagonist of certain adrenergic and serotonin receptors, and is also a strong antihistamine.[SUP][7][/SUP] It is sometimes described as a noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant (NaSSA),[SUP][7][/SUP] although the actual evidence in support of this label has been regarded as poor.[SUP][9][/SUP] Chemically, mirtazapine is a tetracyclic antidepressant (TeCA), with four interconnected rings of atoms, and is a relative of the TeCA mianserin(Tolvon).[SUP][10][11][/SUP]
Mirtazapine was developed by Organon International in the Netherlands and was introduced in the United States in 1996.[SUP][4][/SUP] Its patent expired in 2004, so generic versions are available.[SUP][12]

[/SUP]
Approved and off-label[edit]

Mirtazapine's primary use is the treatment of major depressive disorder and other mood disorders.[SUP][13][14][/SUP]
However, it has also been found useful in alleviating the following conditions and is sometimes prescribed off-label for their treatment:

Effectiveness and tolerability[edit]

In 2010 NICE published a guideline for treating depression that included a review of antidepressants. It recommended generic SSRIs as first line choices, as they are "equally effective as other antidepressants and have a favourable risk–benefit ratio."[SUP][29][/SUP] With respect to mirtazapine, it found: "There is no difference between mirtazapine and other antidepressants on any efficacy measure, although in terms of achieving remission mirtazapine appears to have a statistical though not clinical advantage. In addition, mirtazapine has a statistical advantage over SSRIs in terms of reducing symptoms of depression, but the difference is not clinically important. However, there is strong evidence that patients taking mirtazapine are less likely to leave treatment early because of side effects, although this is not the case for patients reporting side effects or leaving treatment early for any reason."[SUP][30][/SUP]
A 2011 Cochrane review that compared mirtazapine to other antidepressants, found that while it appears to have a faster onset in people for whom it works (measured at 2 weeks), it is about the same as other antidepressants at 6 weeks.[SUP][31][/SUP]
A 2012 review focused on antidepressants and sleep found that in many people with sleep disorders caused by depression, mirtazapine reduces the time it takes to fall asleep and increases the quality of sleep, but that in some people it can disturb sleep, causing restless leg syndrome in 8 to 28% of people, and in rare cases causes REM sleep behavior disorder.[SUP][32][/SUP]
A 2018 systematic review and network meta-analysis comparing the efficacy and acceptability of 21 antidepressant drugs showed mirtazapine to be one of the most effective antidepressants in head-to-head studies.[SUP][33][/SUP]
In general, all antidepressants, including mirtazapine, require at least a week for their therapeutic benefits on depressive and anxious symptoms to become apparent.[SUP][34][35][/SUP]
Side effects[edit]

A 2011 Cochrane review found that compared with other antidepressants, it is more likely to cause weight gain and sleepiness, but it is less likely to cause tremor than tricyclic antidepressants, and less likely to cause nausea and sexual dysfunction than SSRIs.[SUP][31][/SUP]
Very common (≥10% incidence) adverse effects include constipation, dry mouth, sleepiness, increased appetite and weight gain.[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][36][/SUP][SUP][37][/SUP][SUP][38][/SUP][SUP][39][/SUP][SUP][40][41][/SUP]
Common (1–10% incidence) adverse effects include weakness, confusion, dizziness, peripheral edema, and negative lab results like elevated transaminases, elevated serum triglycerides, and elevated total cholesterol.[SUP][6][/SUP]
Mirtazapine is not considered to have a risk of many of the side effects often associated with other antidepressants like the SSRIs, and may actually improve certain ones when taken in conjunction with them.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][42][/SUP] (Those adverse effects include decreased appetite, weight loss, insomnia, nausea and vomiting, diarrhoea, urinary retention, increased body temperature, excessive sweating, pupil dilation and sexual dysfunction.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][42][/SUP])
In general, some antidepressants, especially SSRIs, can paradoxically exacerbate some peoples' depression or anxiety or cause suicidal ideation.[SUP][43][/SUP] Despite its sedating action, mirtazapine is also believed to be capable of this, so in the United States and certain other countries, it carries a black box label warning of these potential effects.
A case report published in 2000 noted an instance in which mirtazapine counteracted the action of clonidine, causing a dangerous rise in blood pressure.[SUP][44][/SUP]
Discontinuation[edit]

Mirtazapine and other antidepressants may cause a discontinuation syndrome upon cessation.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][45][/SUP][SUP][46][/SUP] A gradual and slow reduction in dose is recommended to minimize discontinuation symptoms.[SUP][47][/SUP] Effects of sudden cessation of treatment with mirtazapine may include depression, anxiety, panic attacks, vertigo, restlessness, irritability, decreased appetite, insomnia, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms such as allergies and pruritus, headaches and sometimes hypomania or mania.[SUP][45][/SUP][SUP][48][/SUP][SUP][49][/SUP][SUP][50][51][/SUP]
Overdose[edit]

Mirtazapine is considered to be relatively safe in the event of an overdose,[SUP][35][/SUP] although it is considered slightly more toxic in overdose than most of the SSRIs (except citalopram).[SUP][52][/SUP] Unlike the tricyclic antidepressants, mirtazapine showed no significant cardiovascularadverse effects at 7 to 22 times the maximum recommended dose.[SUP][42][/SUP] Case reports of overdose with as much as 30 to 50 times the standard dose described the drug as relatively nontoxic, compared to tricyclic antidepressants.[SUP][53][54][/SUP]
Twelve reported fatalities have been attributed to mirtazapine overdose.[SUP][55][/SUP][SUP][56][/SUP] The fatal toxicity index (deaths per million prescriptions) for mirtazapine is 3.1 (95% CI: 0.1 to 17.2). This is similar to that observed with SSRIs.[SUP][57][/SUP]
Interactions[edit]

Concurrent use with inhibitors or inducers of the cytochrome (CYP) P450isoenzymesCYP1A2, CYP2D6, and/or CYP3A4 can result in altered concentrations of mirtazapine, as these are the main enzymes responsible for its metabolism.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP] As examples, fluoxetine and paroxetine, inhibitors of these enzymes, are known to modestly increase mirtazapine levels, while carbamazepine, an inducer, considerably decreases them.[SUP][3][/SUP]Liver and moderate renal impairment have been reported to decrease the oral clearance of mirtazapine by about 30%; severe renal impairment decreases it by 50%.[SUP][3][/SUP]
According to information from the manufacturers, mirtazapine should not be started within two weeks of any monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) usage; likewise, MAOIs should not be administered within two weeks of discontinuing mirtazapine.[SUP][58][/SUP] Mirtazapine in combination with an SSRI, SNRI, or TCA as an augmentation strategy is considered to be relatively safe and is often employed therapeutically,[SUP][42][/SUP] with a combination of venlafaxine and mirtazapine, sometimes referred to as "California rocket fuel".[SUP][59][60][/SUP]
Pharmacology[edit]

Pharmacodynamics[edit]

See also: Pharmacology of antidepressants and Tetracyclic antidepressant § Pharmacology
SiteK[SUB]i[/SUB] (nM)SpeciesRef
SERT>10,000Human[SUP][62][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
NET≥4,600Human[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][62][/SUP]
DAT>10,000Human[SUP][62][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]1A[/SUB]3,330–5,010Human[SUP][63][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]1B[/SUB]3,534–12,600Human[SUP][63][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]1D[/SUB]794–5,010Human[SUP][63][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]1E[/SUB]728Human[SUP][63][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]1F[/SUB]583Human[SUP][63][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]2A[/SUB]6.3–69Human[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]2B[/SUB]200Human[SUP][7][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]2C[/SUB]8.9–39Human[SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]3[/SUB]7.9Human[SUP][7][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]4L[/SUB]>10,000Human[SUP][63][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]5A[/SUB]670Human[SUP][63][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]6[/SUB]NDNDND[SUP][63][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]7[/SUB]265Human[SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
α[SUB]1A[/SUB]316–1,815Human[SUP][63][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
α[SUB]2A[/SUB]20Human[SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
α[SUB]2B[/SUB]88Human[SUP][63][/SUP]
α[SUB]2C[/SUB]18Human[SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
β>10,000Human[SUP][63][/SUP]
D[SUB]1[/SUB]4,167Rat[SUP][64][/SUP]
D[SUB]2[/SUB]>5,454Human[SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
D[SUB]3[/SUB]5,723Human[SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
D[SUB]4[/SUB]2,518Human[SUP][63][/SUP]
H[SUB]1[/SUB]0.14–1.6Human[SUP][65][/SUP][SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP]
H[SUB]2[/SUB]>10,000Rat[SUP][66][/SUP][SUP][65][/SUP]
H[SUB]3[/SUB]83,200Human[SUP][65][/SUP]
H[SUB]4[/SUB]>100,000Human[SUP][65][/SUP]
mACh670Human[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][10][/SUP]
VGSC6,905Rat[SUP][63][/SUP]
VDCC>10,000Rat[SUP][63][/SUP]
Values are K[SUB]i[/SUB] (nM). The smaller the value, the more strongly the drug binds to the site.
Mirtazapine has antihistamine, α[SUB]2[/SUB]-blocker, and antiserotonergic activity.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][67][/SUP] It is specifically a potent antagonist or inverse agonist of the α[SUB]2A[/SUB]-, α[SUB]2B[/SUB]-, and α[SUB]2C[/SUB]-adrenergic receptors, the serotonin5-HT[SUB]2A[/SUB], 5-HT[SUB]2C[/SUB], and 5-HT[SUB]3[/SUB]receptors, and the histamineH[SUB]1[/SUB] receptor.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][67][/SUP] Unlike many other antidepressants, it does not inhibit the reuptake of serotonin, norepinephrine, or dopamine,[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][67][/SUP] nor does it inhibit monoamine oxidase.[SUP][68][/SUP] Similarly, mirtazapine has weak or no activity as an anticholinergic or blocker of sodium or calcium channels, in contrast to most TCAs.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][67][/SUP][SUP][63][/SUP] In accordance, it has better tolerability and low toxicity in overdose.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][69][/SUP] As an H[SUB]1[/SUB] receptor antagonist, mirtazapine is extremely potent, and is in fact the most potent of all the TCAs and TeCAs.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][70][/SUP][SUP][71][/SUP] Antagonism of the H[SUB]1[/SUB] receptor is by far the strongest activity of mirtazapine, with the drug acting as a selective H[SUB]1[/SUB]receptor antagonist at low concentrations.[SUP][7][63][/SUP]
The (S)-(+) enantiomer of mirtazapine is responsible for antagonism of the serotonin 5-HT[SUB]2A[/SUB] and 5-HT[SUB]2C[/SUB] receptors,[SUP][11][/SUP] while the (R)-(–) enantiomer is responsible for antagonism of the 5-HT[SUB]3[/SUB] receptor.[SUP][11][/SUP] Both enantiomers are involved in antagonism of the H[SUB]1[/SUB] and α[SUB]2[/SUB]-adrenergic receptors,[SUP][11][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] although the (S)-(+) enantiomer is the stronger antihistamine.[SUP][72][/SUP]
Although not clinically relevant, mirtazapine has been found to act as a partial agonist of the κ-opioid receptor at high concentrations (EC[SUB]50[/SUB] = 7.2 μM).[SUP][73][/SUP]
α[SUB]2[/SUB]-Adrenergic receptor[edit]

Antagonism of the α[SUB]2[/SUB]-adrenergic receptors, which function largely as inhibitoryautoreceptors and heteroreceptors, enhances adrenergic and serotonergicneurotransmission, notably central5-HT[SUB]1A[/SUB] receptor mediated transmission in the dorsal raphe nucleus and hippocampus; hence, mirtazapine's classification as a NaSSA. Indirect α[SUB]1[/SUB] adrenoceptor-mediated enhancement of serotonin cell firing and direct blockade of inhibitory α[SUB]2[/SUB]heteroreceptors located on serotonin terminals are held responsible for the increase in extracellular serotonin.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][13][/SUP][SUP][74][/SUP][SUP][75][/SUP][SUP][76][/SUP] Because of this, mirtazapine has been said to be a functional "indirect agonist" of the 5-HT[SUB]1A[/SUB]receptor.[SUP][75][/SUP] Increased activation of the central 5-HT[SUB]1A[/SUB] receptor is thought to be a major mediator of efficacy of most antidepressant drugs.[SUP][77][/SUP]
5-HT[SUB]2[/SUB] and 5-HT[SUB]3[/SUB] receptors[edit]

Antagonism of the 5-HT[SUB]2[/SUB] subfamily of receptors and inverse agonism of the 5-HT[SUB]2C[/SUB] receptor appears to be in part responsible for mirtazapine's efficacy in the treatment of depressive states.[SUP][78][/SUP][SUP][79][/SUP] Mirtazapine increases dopamine release in the prefrontal cortex.[SUP][80][/SUP][SUP][81][/SUP] Accordingly, it was shown that by blocking the α[SUB]2[/SUB]-adrenergic receptors and 5-HT[SUB]2C[/SUB] receptors mirtazapine disinhibited dopamine and norepinephrine activity in these areas in rats.[SUP][82][/SUP] In addition, mirtazapine's antagonism of 5-HT[SUB]2A[/SUB] receptors has beneficial effects on anxiety, sleep and appetite, as well as sexual function regarding the latter receptor.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][42][/SUP] Mirtazapine has been shown to lower drug seeking behaviour in various human and animal studies.[SUP][83][/SUP][SUP][84][/SUP][SUP][85][/SUP] It is also being investigated in substance abuse disorders to reduce withdrawal effects and improve remission rates.[SUP][83][/SUP][SUP][86][/SUP][SUP][87][88][/SUP]
Antagonism of the 5-HT[SUB]3[/SUB] receptor, an action mirtazapine shares with the approved antiemetic ondansetron, significantly improves pre-existing symptoms of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and irritable bowel syndrome in afflicted individuals.[SUP][89][/SUP] Mirtazapine may be used as an inexpensive antiemetic alternative to ondansetron.[SUP][24][/SUP] Blockade of the 5-HT[SUB]3[/SUB] receptors has also shown to improve anxiety and to be effective in the treatment of drug addiction in several studies.[SUP][90][/SUP] In conjunction with substance abuse counseling, mirtazapine has been investigated for the purpose of reducing methamphetamine use in dependent individuals with success.[SUP][84][/SUP] In contrast to mirtazapine, the SSRIs, SNRIs, MAOIs, and some TCAs increase the general activity of the 5-HT[SUB]2A[/SUB], 5-HT[SUB]2C[/SUB], and 5-HT[SUB]3[/SUB] receptors leading to a host of negative changes and side effects, the most prominent of which including anorexia, insomnia, sexual dysfunction (loss of libido and anorgasmia), nausea, and diarrhea, among others. As a result, it is often combined with these drugs to reduce their side-effect profile and to produce a stronger antidepressant effect.
Mirtazapine does not have serotonergic activity and does not cause serotonergic side effects or serotonin syndrome. This is in accordance with the fact that it is not a serotonin reuptake inhibitor or MAOI, nor a serotonin receptor agonist.[SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][92][/SUP] There are no reports of serotonin syndrome in association with mirtazapine alone, and mirtazapine has not been found to cause serotonin syndrome in overdose.[SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][92][/SUP][SUP][93][/SUP] However, there are a handful of case reports of serotonin syndrome occurring with mirtazapine in combination with serotonergic drugs like SSRIs, although such reports are unusual, very rare, and do not necessarily implicate mirtazapine as causative.[SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][94][/SUP][SUP][95][/SUP][SUP][96][/SUP][SUP][97][/SUP][SUP][98][/SUP] The addition of mirtazapine to an MAOI does not cause serotonin syndrome, and has been considered to be a safe combination.[SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][92][/SUP] Moreover, mirtazapine may actually be useful in the treatment of serotonin syndrome, with at least one publication finding it to be effective in resolving the syndrome.[SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][99][/SUP][SUP][100][/SUP] This is in accordance with the fact that the 5-HT[SUB]2A[/SUB] receptor is the predominant serotonin receptor thought to be involved in the pathophysiology of serotonin syndrome (with the 1A[/SUB] receptor seeming to be protective). Mirtazapine is a potent 5-HT receptor antagonist, and cyproheptadine, a drug that shares this property, mediates recovery from serotonin syndrome and is well-established clinically as an antidote against it.

Mirtazapine is a very strong H[SUB]1[/SUB] receptor inverse agonist and, as a result, it can cause powerful sedative and hypnotic effects.[SUP][7][/SUP] A single 15 mg dose of mirtazapine to healthy volunteers has been found to result in over 80% occupancy of the H[SUB]1[/SUB] receptor and to induce intense sleepiness.[SUP][72][/SUP] After a short period of chronic treatment, however, the H[SUB]1[/SUB] receptor tends to desensitize and the antihistamine effects become more tolerable. Many patients may also dose at night to avoid the effects, and this appears to be an effective strategy for combating them. Blockade of the H[SUB]1[/SUB] receptor may improve pre-existing allergies, pruritus, nausea, and insomnia in afflicted individuals. It may also contribute to weight gain, however. In contrast to the H[SUB]1[/SUB] receptor, mirtazapine has only low affinity for the muscarinic acetylcholine receptors, although anticholinergic side effects like dry mouth, constipation, and mydriasis are still sometimes seen in clinical practice.[SUP][102][/SUP]
Pharmacokinetics[edit]

The oralbioavailability of mirtazapine is about 50%. It is found mostly bound to plasma proteins, about 85%. It is metabolized primarily in the liver by demethylation and hydroxylation via cytochrome P450enzymes. One of its major metabolites is desmethylmirtazapine. The overall elimination half-life is 20–40 hours. About 15% is eliminated in feces and 75% in urine.[SUP][103]:430[/SUP]
History[edit]

Mirtazapine was first synthesized at Organon and published in 1989, was first approved for use in major depressive disorder in the Netherlands in 1994, and was introduced in the United States in 1996 under the brand name Remeron.[SUP][103][/SUP][SUP]:429[/SUP][SUP][104][105][/SUP]
Society and culture[edit]

A 15 mg tablet of generic mirtazapine.
Generic names[edit]

Mirtazapine is the English and Frenchgeneric name of the drug and its INN, USAN, USP, BAN, DCF, and JAN.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][106][/SUP] Its generic name in Spanish is mirtazapina, in German is Mirtazapin, and in Latin is mirtazapinum.[SUP][1][2][/SUP]
Brand names[edit]

Mirtazapine is marketed under many brand names worldwide, including Adco-Mirteron, Afloyan, Amirel, Arintapin Smelt, Avanza, Azapin, Beron, Bilanz, Calixta, Ciblex, Combar, Comenter, Depreram, Divaril, Esprital, Maz, Menelat, Mepirzapine, Merdaten, Meronin, Mi Er Ning, Milivin, Minelza, Minivane, Mirastad, Mirazep, Miro, Miron, Mirrador, Mirt, Mirta, Mirtabene, Mirtadepi, Mirtagamma, Mirtagen, Mirtalan, Mirtamor, Mirtamylan, Mirtan, Mirtaneo, Mirtapax, Mirtapil, Mirtapine, Mirtaron, Mirtastad, Mirtax, Mirtaz, Mirtazap, Mirtazapin, Mirtazapina, Mirtazapine, Mirtazapinum, Mirtazelon, Mirtazon, Mirtazonal, Mirtel, Mirtimash, Mirtin, Mirtine, Mirzapine, Mirzaten, Mirzest, Mitaprex, Mitaxind, Mitocent, Mitrazin, Mizapin, Motofen, Mytra, Norset, Noxibel, Pharmataz, Promyrtil, Ramure, Redepra, Reflex, Remergil, Remergon, Remeron, Remirta, Rexer, Saxib, Sinmaron, Smilon, Tazepin, Tazimed, Tetrazic, Tifona, U-Mirtaron, U-zepine, Valdren, Vastat, Velorin, Yarocen, Zania, Zapex, Zestat, Zismirt, Zispin, Zuleptan, and Zulin.[SUP][2][/SUP]
Chemistry[edit]

Mirtazapine is a tetracyclic piperazinoazepine; mianserin was developed by the same team of organic chemists and mirtazapine differs from it via addition of a nitrogen atom in one of the rings.[SUP][103][/SUP][SUP]:429[/SUP][SUP][107][/SUP][SUP][108][/SUP] It is a racemic mixture of enantiomers. The (S)-(+)-enantiomer is known as esmirtazapine.
Analogues of mirtazapine include mianserin, setiptiline, and aptazapine.
Synthesis[edit]

A chemical synthesis of mirtazapine has been published.[SUP][109][/SUP]
Research[edit]

The use of mirtazapine has been explored in several additional conditions:

Veterinary use[edit]
I was on remeron a long time ago for psychiatric reasons. I do agree with the sleep good fucking sleep but I don't remember it making me hungry. But I was probably doing a lot of cocaine or other stuff like cocaine so ya know

Back