Anyone overcome depression.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts
    Rep Points

Youíve heard a few people talk about the negatives of taking anti depressant drugs, from being on them for decades just to cope and feeing like a zombie. Look into magic mushroom for treating depression. One or two times and you could be cured of the depression. Research it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    223 Posts
    Rep Points

I've dealt with it extensively and like a lot of the other guys I personally prefer to steer clear of SSRIs due to the side effects but they absolutely do help and if I ever got suicidal I wouldn't hesitate to seek out medical interventions.

My remedies these days include exercise, healthy diet, a daily routine wherein I do everything at just about the same time each day (discipline equals freedom), and having a high energy dog that requires a lot of attention and physical/mental stimulation. Preferably one that bonds strongly to its owner. Ive had a pit, a rottweiler, and now a Dogo and they've all been lifesavers. They keep me busy enough that I dont have time to mope around and be depressed.

Also, fish oil, GABA, 5-HTP, and vitamin D year round

Team supervisor P.S.L.
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,782 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by BodybuilderZepp View Post
    When my Dad passed I was never the same. They say ďtimeĒ helps. But time doesnít make the pain go away, just helps you manage the pain better.

Donít rely on any drug to make your depression go away. Because when you stop the drug the depression will come back.

Need to learn to push forward, stay as positive as you can, and kill it in the gym.

Instead of thinking in my head ďwhy did he have to goĒ, I think ďhes with me, watching over me, and Iíll make him proudĒ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same here man. When the old man passed depression took on a whole different level and it was never really manageable, if that's the best work to describe it.
    Before then I was always able to get a grip on, but after that it was just amplified. Surprisingly some people told me that I held myself together pretty well, I laugh at that because I thought quite the opposite. I'll never wish losing a loved one on anyone, not even my worst enemy, it's a pain that will change a person, forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    286 Posts
    Rep Points

Depression is a very bad thing to have these newer SSRIs are so much better than the older ones and donít have the side effects like the old ones Iím on a newer one now ans I have no sides much at all ans it doesnít make me feel like a zombie thank goodness

I just wanted to give all whose posted here that deals with depression ,itís survivable we just need friends who care snd a very positive outlook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    344 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Vision View Post
    Same here man. When the old man passed depression took on a whole different level and it was never really manageable, if that's the best work to describe it.
    Before then I was always able to get a grip on, but after that it was just amplified. Surprisingly some people told me that I held myself together pretty well, I laugh at that because I thought quite the opposite. I'll never wish losing a loved one on anyone, not even my worst enemy, it's a pain that will change a person, forever.
    The pain one shows on the outside is very different than what they feel on the inside. I had friends telling me I seemed like I was taking it ok, but only if they were inside my head they would understand.

Team supervisor P.S.L.
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,782 Posts
    Rep Points

The pain one shows on the outside is very different than what they feel on the inside. I had friends telling me I seemed like I was taking it ok, but only if they were inside my head they would understand.

You got a point.. I had some members in my family tell me that they were surprised on how well I handled it.
    But I was deteriorating on the inside and how could they not notice?
    I couldn't eat, I withered away, I did absolutely nothing, then some months later I gained a shit ton of weight. Get people told me I was doing well. Wtf.
    I would be at work or even driving down the road and this randomly break down,as quick as it would happen it would go away and then it was back to life again.
    Ever since I didn't change a type of movies I watch and what not because my emotions are much different. Believe it or not I can't even watch scary movies or horrors especially slashers, it's like my brain has been completely rewired :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    344 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Vision View Post
    You got a point.. I had some members in my family tell me that they were surprised on how well I handled it.
    But I was deteriorating on the inside and how could they not notice?
    I couldn't eat, I withered away, I did absolutely nothing, then some months later I gained a shit ton of weight. Get people told me I was doing well. Wtf.
    I would be at work or even driving down the road and this randomly break down,as quick as it would happen it would go away and then it was back to life again.
    Ever since I didn't change a type of movies I watch and what not because my emotions are much different. Believe it or not I can't even watch scary movies or horrors especially slashers, it's like my brain has been completely rewired :/
    I can relate too well. The entire experience made me a much tougher person, but at times Iíll be watching a drama movie with the wife and it makes me tear up because something in it triggered me to think of my Dad and lit a fire inside me of rage that turned into tears.

Certain songs and certain movies get to me, but as weird as it sounds sometimes I want to feel the pain again to remind me of him.

Our favorite song together was:

Eric Clapton-Layla

Team supervisor P.S.L.
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,782 Posts
    Rep Points

I can relate too well. The entire experience made me a much tougher person, but at times Iíll be watching a drama movie with the wife and it makes me tear up because something in it triggered me to think of my Dad and lit a fire inside me of rage that turned into tears.

Certain songs and certain movies get to me, but as weird as it sounds sometimes I want to feel the pain again to remind me of him.

Our favorite song together was:

Eric Clapton-Layla

That's exactly where I'm at, it toughened me up in many ways but at the same time it amplified emotions I've never felt before that are very triggered, especially in a drama movie like you said or even if I watch a video with something that's inspiring, I have more of a sense of awareness if that makes sense. One thing I do remember is during the beginning I recall telling myself I don't ever see an end to this or it ever getting easier, I just remember one day looking back and I realized how far I came and that's when I realized that time was the only thing that helped. I don't remember the process and I don't remember a day waking up and feeling good but I just remember looking back and saying wow what a fucking ride that was.
    The entire experience definitely softened me up, in fact I don't like funerals and I avoid them at all cost because of it. I don't do well with death ever since. And I totally 100% understand when you say that you don't mind returning to that state of mind just to remember once again. You can't describe it to people, they have to go through it to understand it. And that's bizarre about Eric Clapton because that song reminds me of my father, because when the live acoustic video came out on VH1 back in the 90s I was staying with my father. And rod stewart, I can't forget rod Stewart either there's another memory Lane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9,061 Posts
    Rep Points

What an incredible thread that will last forever!
    This used to be taboo! Posting on this forum along with kicking ass in the gym helps a lot of guys. They can speak to strangers and that can help a ton! Just letting some weight off of you.
    Stuffing it down sure does not work. Bless you all and way to be.

Max

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Rep Points

There is so many good post here about depression. Every individual is different. It runs in my family genes and I have also run the wrath....the only thing I'm going to add. There is so many good drugs out there that work. It's a process to find them. It takes a good doctor. I've been in that classification of bed ridden for 2-3 days. Lexapro turned my life around, but still have spurts every once in a while...
    Finally after talking to my doctor that I'm still not right, she said let's try Wellbutrin. That drug fixed me....its been close to a year and zero depression!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    CLICK HERE TO SEE FULL PRICE LIST
    If you have any questions please dont hesitate to e-mail me at: US-DS@protonmail.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Rep Points

Try getting outside in some sunshine with the weather getting nicer. Maybe watch some comedy or something that makes you laugh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    928 Posts
    Rep Points

So true Max. Mental Health as a whole use to be sooo Taboo. I can remember how embarrassed my parents were that I had some ďissuesĒ upstairs. Also how worried they were that someone else might find out and how it would make the family look. To this day my father wouldnít admit his son has Depression and Bi polar # 1. My parents were my world as a kid so that shit use to literally kill me knowing that I let them down. Now a days I tell my kids straight up what I suffer from and what Iím doing to combat it. All this type of open discussion about mental health issues is what has helped people understand it takes a bigger man to admit it and take it head on than it does to try and hide it. Iím constantly posting the suicide hotline # at the gym I go to as well as a bunch of other crisis numbers Incase some kid or adult is struggling with depression and doesnít know where to turn. Iím certainly not ashamed anymore. I firmly believe itís a disease just like any other and some people like me just canít will it to go away. Iíve needed help and continue to need help every day whether itís from another human being or meds. I now realize I owe it to certain people not to try and hide it but to fight it everyday no matter what it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by maxmuscle1 View Post
    What an incredible thread that will last forever!
    This used to be taboo! Posting on this forum along with kicking ass in the gym helps a lot of guys. They can speak to strangers and that can help a ton! Just letting some weight off of you.
    Stuffing it down sure does not work. Bless you all and way to be.

Max

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9,061 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AR-15 View Post
    So true Max. Mental Health as a whole use to be sooo Taboo. I can remember how embarrassed my parents were that I had some ďissuesĒ upstairs. Also how worried they were that someone else might find out and how it would make the family look. To this day my father wouldnít admit his son has Depression and Bi polar # 1. My parents were my world as a kid so that shit use to literally kill me knowing that I let them down. Now a days I tell my kids straight up what I suffer from and what Iím doing to combat it. All this type of open discussion about mental health issues is what has helped people understand it takes a bigger man to admit it and take it head on than it does to try and hide it. Iím constantly posting the suicide hotline # at the gym I go to as well as a bunch of other crisis numbers Incase some kid or adult is struggling with depression and doesnít know where to turn. Iím certainly not ashamed anymore. I firmly believe itís a disease just like any other and some people like me just canít will it to go away. Iíve needed help and continue to need help every day whether itís from another human being or meds. I now realize I owe it to certain people not to try and hide it but to fight it everyday no matter what it takes.
    Well we are in a golden age of medicine and technology which helps. Even parents in their 40ís have old school thinking. My grands and parents have changed for the better for sure. Part of depression/mental illness is the overwhelming guilt and shame for every little thing. The best thing I tell others is to go to a psychiatrist; take classes , learn whatever you can. And lastly; Love and take care of yourself first (over everybody else or you cannot be the man or woman for your family. When you do good and feel good; it spreads and makes everyone not worry about you. (You = anyone)

Max

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Rep Points

Depression absolutely sucks and it varies from person to person which makes it hard to treat. For some it comes and goes in waves, without notice or reason. Or for others its a constant battle with a moderate level of constant depressive symptoms. Having a really good therapist and psychiatrist can make a world of a difference, especially ones that are actually paying attention to you and treating you on an personal level. Personally, i've had some of my best results with Zoloft and a good therapist. I've tried a good amount of SSRI's and some other anti-depressants which mixed results, Zoloft was one that really pulled me out of dark time filled with anxiety, panic attacks and depression. Depression runs in both my mother and fathers side of the family, with my father himself having it, along with addiction as well. I would gladly give up an arm or leg to switch brains with a normal person. I sometimes wonder if I was raised in a different country or time era, if I would be happier then/there. I think I would of preferred a simpler way of life. I do think anti-depressants are probably over prescribed, people should first see a therapist and take action with steps to improve their lives. If that isn't helping, thats when medicine should be added in. I think we forget or take for granted how insanely fast the world around us has evolved, especially with the introduction of the internet age, cell phones, social media and the ever increasing technology at our fingertip. Our monkey brains haven't had the slightest chance to account for the amount of over stimulation taking place. I really think this is a big factor for the rise in depression and other mental illnesses that have been on the rise. Its a new age we've been entering and it will take a while before we fully understand the effects it has on us. Luckily I grew up in the early days of the internet and video games, so I still played with my friends outside growing up. Flip phones started to become popular during my early high school years, Facebook started popping off in my senior year of high school. Its crazy to see how drastically the world has changed as I grew up watching it. I grew up memorizing my friends home numbers to call them to hang out, now it just can shoot a text/call under their name in my phone. Dial up internet would take 1-5 minutes to load a webpage, now its done in a second or less. The ability to stimulate our dopamine receptors with our computers, cell phones and games has been fine tuned with so much research on what keeps us coming back and clicking.
    Last edited by Achilleus; 04-07-2021 at 10:35 PM. Reason: cant correct spacing =/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Rep Points

Yes, I lived a life full of violence, and depression. Drugs made it worse. You become your own worst enemy. I am in a great place today. Despite that, I still talk to a councilor once a month because it helps me sort through my issues. I do not care what anybody thinks about it anymore. I embrace the madness, like the macho man.... Even the crazies can rise to the top, like the cream of the crop, OOHHHHHH YEAHHHH....

To put it in perspective, I knew physical, mental, and sexual abuse as a young lad. My mother even treated me as a female until some family members had an intervention. I never got dressed up as a girl but you can imagine it messed me up somewhat. I probably overcompensated but fuck it. My mother and I rarely speak these days. Doubt that will change. She can never admit she was wrong. Blames me for being an addict (been clean since 2012 btw)and refuses to admit the crimes she did. At least my alcoholic abusive old man, got sober and apologized and admitted he did wrong for beating the shit out of me at least once a week. When he died we were at peace. In fact he pulled me back from the abyss of my own addictions and poor choices in life. I wish he was alive to see me graduate from College. The first male in my family to do so....

Failure can be a great teacher, experience of any kind even negatives one can mold you into a good man. Never forget that, and always keep hope alive my brothers. \